Complete 180 in WR Talent

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bold, yes. I don't know about ludicrous though. Stevie and Woods alone make a pretty darn good receiving tandem on their own. Rodgers has the potential, if he keeps his head on straight, to be an ELITE WR...better than both Stevie and Woods. To say "best WR in 3 years" may be a pretty big leap of faith, but I honestly think the potential is there.

This is a big if. That tricky word potential. Although he does have the talent it's getting it out of him and keeping him out of trouble. If both him and Woods pan out wow we got something serious going

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I really like the Robert Woods pick. He is, by many accounts, NFL-ready and I believe that he'll have a good rookie year. Don't confuse that with his best year, as most rookie WRs require a year or two to learn the NFL game.

I am warming up to the Marquise Goodwin pick. At first, I was put-off by his less-than-impressive production in college, but now that I realize that he missed every very important Spring practice in college to run track, I think that there is some significant upside. I think he has the ability to make an impact with his speed on end-around runs and screens with some medium range receptions also. I still have high-hopes for TJ Graham (at least I haven't written him off), so I think the two of these guys will split time and hopefully contribute, with Graham likely to play a bigger role this year.

Da'Rick Rogers certainly has physical talent. He performed at a high-level in the SEC before being booted from the Tennessee team. Before we get too giddy, please consider how much of a f***up he had to be (with his talent level) to get kicked off the Tennessee team. I think that he was very well workth the UDFA signing, given his physical talent, but there are reasons (probably several) that NO team selected him in the draft, despite his size, speed, production against SEC competition...

If they can get Stevie some help from Graham, Woods and Goodwin, then any contributions from Rogers is a bonus.

Love the enthusiasm and am thrilled with our Draft too.

BUT..

By many supposed experts, this entire Draft was so loaded with great talent and skills that I've heard many say this draft will be the backbone of the League in 3- 5 years. Gotta say, I've never heard that before and it likely has merit. The college game has really stepped up, mimicking the League while adding many new wrinkles, hash mark locations notwithstanding.

What this means is yes, the Bills dramatically improved this past weekend. So, unfortunately, did everybody else. 4.5 speed at WR & DB are mandatory now throughout the League and the plethera of available speed is at an all time high.

Not meaning to be a Nancy but we have sucked for years. We just got better and so did everyone else who hasn't/ doesn't suck..

Our ace up the sleeve is still Marrone and staff. What they bring to the team will go further than the talent on the roster.

I'm with ya OP. I think the same. We have the makings of the Saints offense during their SB year with this group of WRs. Again, like many have already said, its a big IF... But man, if that IF becomes true, we have the possibility to be REALLY SCARY.

Maybe, but I can't imagine Buddy crossing Marrone on a single pick. It's inconceivable. I don't think Buddy, of all GMs this year, "was free to fill the spots". I'm betting Boss Russ made sure of this.

I believe he meant prior to the season starting.

I also can't imagine marrone at this spot in his career having full personnel control. Polian at one point discussed as GM he'd let each scout tag a guy they'd aggressively go for. I'm sure marrone had several of these guys marked on the board for "if he's there lets snag him. Additionally "lets try to get two WRs to replace jones and Nelson" was likely a long term discussion... I don't know that any of our picks were controversial enough to justify a ton of debate assuming ej passed the smell test for everyone.

Things like trading back, not trading back again, etc.... I assume nix was in charge of too. It's simply not marrones job to slot guys and weigh slotting around the league.

I'm assuming after an extensive interview they established it would be a well functioning relationship and they would trust each other - hence he was hired. I don't believe or GM has been fully neutered.

Maybe, but I can't imagine Buddy crossing Marrone on a single pick. It's inconceivable. I don't think Buddy, of all GMs this year, "was free to fill the spots". I'm betting Boss Russ made sure of this.

So we can put you on the record that Brandon is a certifiable liar? 'Cause he sure as hell made it clear who is running the football show this weekend -- Mr. Nix. If this Bills team winds up being successful on the field, it will be the result of coaching (Marrone) and talent (Nix).

You're the definition of arrogant.

I love all these posts citing Rogers as part of a dominant WR corps. Reminiscent of the posts of 2011 listing Dareus,K. Williams, and.....JASPER as part of a dominant interior DL roster.

Rogers showed outstanding ability in the SEC. It's much different than Jasper playing on a lower level college stage. Not exactly a fair comparison.