Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

to trade up to the 2 or 1 slot and take Geno....This quote below came off Rotoworld via Jaguars.com, and there are others. The entire league hears our dumb hick GM getting caught on tape speaking of his desperation to find a QB and all the sudden the Jags come out and say they won't rule Geno out. Why would they do that when they own the #2 pick and KC just traded for their QB? They want Geno - the got him. Total smokescreen.

"Jaguars.com isn't ruling out the Jags taking West Virginia QB Geno Smith at No. 2 overall."

Basically, it feels like a poker game now when there's a real fish at the table and everyone knows it....everyone gets excited to take all his money but nobody dares tell the fish that theyre about to get bled.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont buy this whole we only have 6 picks BS. There have been recent years where we've had a surplus of picks and where the hell have those stockpiles gotten us? I'd rather draft the guy we think will be the QB for the next ten years and sign FA scrubs as a stop-gap than to continue avoiding the QB position. Why just dip our toe in the water and go for a second tier QB? Dive into the pool for once and see what happens. Christ we have very little to lose at this point and much to gain.

The one missing factor in every draft for the bills in recent years has been drafting a top-notch talent at QB in the draft. We either avoid the position or draft 2nd tier/3rd tier QBs.

Drafting Geno will at the very least give this franchise some direction.

Trade up to #3 if possible and take Geno Smith.

1. He has by far the most physical tools of any QB in this draft to succeed at the next level.

2. He most likely will not be there at #8.

3. The thought of having TJax starting for us next season makes me want to vomit.

4. The thought of us drafting Nassib makes me want to vomit

4a. If we draft Nassib, I think (I could be wrong) that this wouuld be the first time in NFL history where a HC, OC, and QB all come to the NFL the same season from a single college program.

4b. For no other reason than 4a, I want nothing to do with Nassib. Ya, it's a silly reason, but holy sh*t, Syracuse, though Marrone got the most out of them, didn't do much of anything in a rather weak conference, so what the heck should we expect from the same exact group in the NFL. Do we make the Syracuse Athletic Director the Bills GM next? Shoot me. :death:

There really isn't a single QB in this draft (other than Geno) that excites me in any way. We need the draft picks but I'd be willing to trade away our first 3 picks this year and take a chance (for once) on a premier QB prospect. If not this season, with a completely different regime, when?

Great strategy. Pick a QB out of desperation while throwing away picks in a weak class and do this all again in 2016. History has never ever repeated itself, but it often rhymes. Your idea is for the song to remain the same. :beer:

How about a simple plan?

Draft a QB with our first pick, every year, until we find one.

If we snag Barkley at 8 and he sucks, then we should be in top ten position again next year. I suspect Whaley (not Nix), from his years in Pittsburgh, understands how to move on from a player. If we draft the most important position on a team, and the guy (1) sucks and (2) shows to a trained eye that he will never be more than a career backup, then next year we draft another one with our first pick.

After all, in a QB league, for a team with no QB, isnt that what the first round pick is for???

(I dont care about value for the slot. I care about the value of not having a qb and missing the playoffs for 13+ years. Time to swing for the fences, fellas. And keep swinging until you connect).

its warmack @ 8 unless fisher or joeckel fall

Hope not. If the Bills take Warmack I see a team that has not improved themselves over last year. They basicly let levitre go and replaced him with Warmack -- at best an even swap for next year. Given that the starting QB is gone, two receivers gone, and top two tacklers on defense gone I see a team overall that will be worse next year. Not somethig to look forward to.

Great strategy. Pick a QB out of desperation while throwing away picks in a weak class and do this all again in 2016. History has never ever repeated itself, but it often rhymes. Your idea is for the song to remain the same. :beer:

That's where you and I disagree - we trade up for Geno BECAUSE this is a weak class, except for Geno. Again, this is my opinion of Geno. Obviously for the people here who don't think much of him, they want nothing to do with trading up.

Geno will be a major player in the NFL. He has the arm to make every single throw at the NFL level, and he has performed at an elite level in college. What else can we as Bills fans possibly want from a QB prospect?

Would a better strategy be wait until there's a "strong" draft class? There are too many factors that can influence where we pick next year or the following year or who the heck will even be declaring from college. We live in the now and as of right now we have freaking TJax as our starting QB and NO viable backup. That's scary.

I just find it hilarious how poster after poster on this board cried like babies because we didn't have a "real" QB in Fitz and how Fitz was preventing this team from reaching the next level but when it comes time to actually go after a QB, now we can afford to wait until next year's draft..or the year after..or until the tooth fairy drops one in our lap. This board is comical.

Also, if we take a QB this year in the 2nd round, lets say Nassib. Don't you think we're going to give him a shot as well to "prove" himself? So ya, i'd rather do this all over again in 2016 after at least giving it our best shot with the best option (Geno) than doing this all over again in 2016 after giving the shot to a 2nd tier QB.

Edited by bobobonators

This isn't about any quarterback in particular, more about past drafting practices.

My question is: When was the last time a team drafted a QB in rounds 1-2 in following years?

I ask because we all know that the QBs in this class are a crapshoot, and next years look significantly better. If we draft high this year and they bust/underperform, then we are stuck with them for 3+ years and miss out on next year's elite performers.

I am of the mind we take a rd 3-4 QB, someone high risk, high reward. That way, if they struggle, we don't have to show the same committment to them for the following years, and can draft a true franchise guy early next year. And, if the boom-or-bust QB works out, then we have a great QB that we stole in a later round. Win-win.

This isn't about any quarterback in particular, more about past drafting practices.

My question is: When was the last time a team drafted a QB in rounds 1-2 in following years?

I ask because we all know that the QBs in this class are a crapshoot, and next years look significantly better. If we draft high this year and they bust/underperform, then we are stuck with them for 3+ years and miss out on next year's elite performers.

I am of the mind we take a rd 3-4 QB, someone high risk, high reward. That way, if they struggle, we don't have to show the same committment to them for the following years, and can draft a true franchise guy early next year. And, if the boom-or-bust QB works out, then we have a great QB that we stole in a later round. Win-win.

I understand this argument, however, what if we finish with the 8th pick again next year. Heck, what if we finish with the 10th - 15th pick? What if Manziel doesn't even declare?

Analysts are always quick to hype up prospects and then quick to bring them down. Matt Barkley sure looked like a can't miss prospect 2 years ago and now look at him.

Edited by bobobonators

That's where you and I disagree - we trade up for Geno BECAUSE this is a weak class, except for Geno. Again, this is my opinion of Geno. Obviously for the people here who don't think much of him, they want nothing to do with trading up.

Geno will be a major player in the NFL. He has the arm to make every single throw at the NFL level, and he has performed at an elite level in college. What else can we as Bills fans possibly want from a QB prospect?

Would a better strategy be wait until there's a "strong" draft class? There are too many factors that can influence where we pick next year or the following year or who the heck will even be declaring from college. We live in the now and as of right now we have freaking TJax as our starting QB and NO viable backup. That's scary.

I just find it hilarious how poster after poster on this board cried like babies because we didn't have a "real" QB in Fitz and how Fitz was preventing this team from reaching the next level but when it comes time to actually go after a QB, now we can afford to wait until next year's draft..or the year after..or until the tooth fairy drops one in our lap. This board is comical.

Also, if we take a QB this year in the 2nd round, lets say Nassib. Don't you think we're going to give him a shot as well to "prove" himself? So ya, i'd rather do this all over again in 2016 after at least giving it our best shot with the best option (Geno) than doing this all over again in 2016 after giving the shot to a 2nd tier QB.

How do you explain Kaepernick and Wilson's success then? They were two players taken in the second and third rounds respectively and they are among the most promising QBs in the NFL. There are two guys in this draft who fit the molds of of these QBs. They are EJ Manuel and Matt Scott.

As for Geno Smith, the drawback with him is that theres signs he lacks the intestinal fortitude and will be one of those QBs taken high in the draft who will wilt under the pressure. He wilted in the second half of his senior season in college. I think that there is a potentially big bust factor with Geno Smith.

EJ Manuel and Matt Scott both showed intestinal fortitude. Manuel played under the pressure of his mother having breast cancer and Scott was almost knocked out during the USC game, had a concussion, threw up, and still brought Arizona back in a comeback win.

The Bills should either try to trade back or draft BPA at #8. Then pick either Manuel or Scott with their next pick. The backstop QB if both were gone would be to pick Tyler Wilson. My hope is Patterson at #8 and EJ Manuel or Matt Scott with the next pick. Neither QBs are sure things, but they are the two guys that have the Kaepernick/Wilson feel about them in this draft. If the guy we pick doesn't work out then draft a QB in the first or second round next year.

Edited by 1billsfan

Dude, enough of this we s*** already. WE have nothing to do with any of this. This team can go 0-16 for a while and guess what, the Bills will still exist, they will sell season tickets, and rake in TV money. The future of this team has nothing to do with any of this. This team needs to truly tank it, save cap space, get the number 1 pick next year, and try to build momentum from there. If you don't have a stud at QB, you're better off tanking it until you do and collect the best draft picks you can get. Once you have that QB, start spending in FA. This team can continue to fail miserably and you and I will still be fans. Being impatient is a conscious choice. Anything short of a Super Bowl victory to me is all the same. The league is full of teams that finally get to the playoffs just to find out that their QB isn't good enough and the tide rolls back out for them. I have watched the Bills win enough AFC titles and play in enough playoff games to not be satisfied with any of that. I say lose out until we get the real deal at QB. There is a huge difference between choosing to tank a season as a HC or player and doing such as a GM. One is a disgrace to the game, the other is smart NFL business. The NFL business model over the last few years has proven to be indestructible in the face of bad press, work stoppages, teams that suck every year that start QBs who suck.

Trade up to #3 if possible and take Geno Smith.

1. He has by far the most physical tools of any QB in this draft to succeed at the next level.

2. He most likely will not be there at #8.

3. The thought of having TJax starting for us next season makes me want to vomit.

4. The thought of us drafting Nassib makes me want to vomit

4a. If we draft Nassib, I think (I could be wrong) that this wouuld be the first time in NFL history where a HC, OC, and QB all come to the NFL the same season from a single college program.

4b. For no other reason than 4a, I want nothing to do with Nassib. Ya, it's a silly reason, but holy sh*t, Syracuse, though Marrone got the most out of them, didn't do much of anything in a rather weak conference, so what the heck should we expect from the same exact group in the NFL. Do we make the Syracuse Athletic Director the Bills GM next? Shoot me. :death:

There really isn't a single QB in this draft (other than Geno) that excites me in any way. We need the draft picks but I'd be willing to trade away our first 3 picks this year and take a chance (for once) on a premier QB prospect. If not this season, with a completely different regime, when?

Great Idea.......some hope would be nice and Geno would give us that.....at least you and I bobo.......I see a lot of people picking apart this idea on page 1.......not drafting a qb high is just more of the same scenario that leaves us where we are today.

people don't want to miss out on the next torrell troup or aaron williams..........gotta keep the franchise stuck in the mud.

im all for it. nice post.

Wouldn't read too much into who's there and who isn't. Especially the who isn'ts.

GO BILLS!!!

I think it definitely means something. This is an opportunity to see improvements to things seen on tape. It's all scripted but not having a single person from the team there says a lot.

The attached link is a Joe B report on Barkley. The Bills have a good chance on being in position to select Geno Smith or Barkley when their turn comes up in the first round. Many people prefer waiting until next year to draft a qb from what they believe to be a better draft class. The problem with that thinking is that you don't know for sure that you will be in position to make that selection.

In my view there are good prospects available this year: Barkley, Smith, Glennon, Wilson etc. Waiting another year is extending the period of time for futility for this fading franchise. Getting a legitimate franchise qb prospect on board will do a lot to energize this franchise and and its abused fanbase.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/72051045/3-14-joe-buscaglia-on-manny-lawson-matt-barkley-bills-needs-in-draft.htm

I'm warming up to the idea of Barkley as the process goes along. If his arm isn't Manning strong, so what? Hackett's running a WCO and that's what Barkley is supposedly best suited for right?

The attached link is a Joe B report on Barkley. The Bills have a good chance on being in position to select Geno Smith or Barkley when their turn comes up in the first round. Many people prefer waiting until next year to draft a qb from what they believe to be a better draft class. The problem with that thinking is that you don't know for sure that you will be in position to make that selection.

In my view there are good prospects available this year: Barkley, Smith, Glennon, Wilson etc. Waiting another year is extending the period of time for futility for this fading franchise. Getting a legitimate franchise qb prospect on board will do a lot to energize this franchise and and its abused fanbase.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/72051045/3-14-joe-buscaglia-on-manny-lawson-matt-barkley-bills-needs-in-draft.htm

Not if the Raiders take Geno and the Cards take Barkley.

I'm warming up to the idea of Barkley as the process goes along. If his arm isn't Manning strong, so what? Hackett's running a WCO and that's what Barkley is supposedly best suited for right?

yup.....Barkley should be more than fine with the Marrone offense