Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

I agree. Since this topic was started, the rumors of Dixon to Philly have come true and I don't see the Eagles drafting a QB in the first round.

Are you disagreeing with all of us or just some of us?

The core of your post is excellent and I think some people here are still not taking this into account.

Considering the Bills QB situation, in light of recent history and the trend towards overdrafting QBs, I think the Bills would be justified in taking a QB at #8.

I just hope it works out if they do.

What was the last draft that qb didnt go first? Matt Ryan? And that only had flacco also go in the first at 18? I'd take either from that "weak qb class"

Hopefully this weak qb class will let someone slide to us that possibly wouldn't with more hype around the group.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post. You make a number of good points; especially about the importance of neural genetics. An effective, culturally neutral way of measuring someone's neural genetics is through reaction time (RT) testing. Faster reaction time correlates to higher I.Q.

I haven't watched college football in years, so everything I know about these guys is based on reading other people's commentary. Reviews on Geno Smith have been very mixed--his supporters seem to think he could be the next Big Deal; whereas his detractors are concerned he might not make it as a starter at all. I've seen the Bills get burned again and again by empty hype; and that's made me a bit jaded. When a guy like Mike Mayock raises concerns about Geno Smith's accuracy or ability to see his second or third read, I find it deeply concerning.

Thanks.

Alfred Morris doesn't get enough credit for his part in the Skins' turnaround, but yeah, a great QB can cover a lot of deficiencies and elevate a team to contention. The problem is still whether or not we can find that kind of QB in this draft. The dropoff between a QB we take at #8 to a QB at #40 won't be huge, unless other teams reach for QBs early. If Geno falls to us, I'd consider taking him though.

There are 6-8 QBs who have 2nd round grades. I doubt any of teams reach for them in the 1st round. The problem is that we still draft the 8th in the 2nd round and I forsee a strong run on QBs at the beginning of the 2nd round (or some desperate team like the Bills will trade up to the bottom of the 1st to ensure that they get their guy).

If people on this board don't allow that argument to go by wiht Fitz, then why would you expect the same people to let it go by for Geno?

rotoworld.com:

NFL Network's Mike Mayock stated on the Rich Eisen Podcast that he has a "hard time buying" West Virginia QB Geno Smith as a legitimate selection for the Chiefs at No. 1 overall.

"I have a hard time buying into that," said Mayock, fresh off studying 12 hours of Geno's tape. "I couldn't even pound the table today for a first-round quarterback, let alone a (No. 1) pick quarterback. I watched a bunch of Geno Smith and he can make every throw. He's athletic. The ball jumps out of his hand. But there's a lot of things that make me nervous about him. He misses people by wide margins for no reason. I see a little bit of hesitancy with the blitz. When that first read is not there, it's not as pretty on the second or third read. His eyes come down. He makes mistakes."

IMO, Geno is the best QB prospect in this draft and I would be ecstatic if he dropped to us at #8. I cannot see him dropping to #8 though, considering the amount of teams ahead of us that need a QB.

Mike Mayock said: Geno Smith can make every throw. He's athletic. The ball jumps out of his hand.

Exactly, and that's why he'll be gone by 8 probably. :cry:

Mike Mayock is an idiot at judging QB's. Exhibit A: http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2011/02/17/mike-mayock-rates-blaine-gabbert-as-the-top-quarterback/

Mike Mayock is an idiot at judging QB's. Exhibit A: http://blogs.ajc.com...op-quarterback/

I don't understand your point. Are you saying that Mayock is no good because he didn't have Cam Newton at the top of his QB list before they went to the Combine that year? There were a lot of people (analysts and I suspect scouting departments) who were leery of Cam Newton. He had only played 1 year of major college football and played in a simplified offense. Most of his thows were set up by his and his ultra talented RB's runs. He had had a string of questionable decisions off the field. Obviously, he has shown that he could handle and excel with the transition to the NFL, however that doesn't mean that everyone who was skeptical was an "idiot".

Right but we have pick 8, not 1. When comparing talent on the board for our pick to what we'd be looking at other years I feel like its just as good and potentially better. Call it a weak qb class all you want, but at our pick - ie the only place that matters- I don't think that's true when you compare it to what was actually available at that area the last few years.

Locker was picked 8th, Gabbert 10th, Ponder 12th, Tannehill 8th and Wheeden 22nd.

I am not saying that the Bills absolutely shouldn't pick a QB with their 1st round pick. I am only saying that pointing to the guys listed above as proof that it is a good idea is a little premature. Maybe they will all turnout great, but so far the jury is still out on all of them.

I don't understand your point. Are you saying that Mayock is no good because he didn't have Cam Newton at the top of his QB list before they went to the Combine that year? There were a lot of people (analysts and I suspect scouting departments) who were leery of Cam Newton. He had only played 1 year of major college football and played in a simplified offense. Most of his thows were set up by his and his ultra talented RB's runs. He had had a string of questionable decisions off the field. Obviously, he has shown that he could handle and excel with the transition to the NFL, however that doesn't mean that everyone who was skeptical was an "idiot".

Locker was picked 8th, Gabbert 10th, Ponder 12th, Tannehill 8th and Wheeden 22nd.

I am not saying that the Bills absolutely shouldn't pick a QB with their 1st round pick. I am only saying that pointing to the guys listed above as proof that it is a good idea is a little premature. Maybe they will all turnout great, but so far the jury is still out on all of them.

Everything about Gabbert coming out of college screamed bust. Especially his 16 touchdowns,and 9 interceptions in 2010. Considering the offense,and conference he played in. You could have easily made a case for his predecessor at Mizzou being a better pro prospect then him. And you see where Daniel had went in the draft. AKA he didn't.

Mike Mayock is an idiot at judging QB's. Exhibit A: http://blogs.ajc.com...op-quarterback/

I really like Mayock but he would have been fired if he was a NFL GM. He has some terrible misses in just that year alone. Cam as the #3 QB? Watt (who the hindsight experts would have taken #3 overall now) as the #3 best DE? He also thought part time college starter Robert Ayers was the best defensive player in his draft.

People need to view these "experts" as more entertainment than gospel. Smith's resume is very good. His defense gave up 35 points a game! If he is on the board and we pass on him, it would be a giant mistake.

I really like Mayock but he would have been fired if he was a NFL GM. He has some terrible misses in just that year alone. Cam as the #3 QB? Watt (who the hindsight experts would have taken #3 overall now) as the #3 best DE? He also thought part time college starter Robert Ayers was the best defensive player in his draft.

People need to view these "experts" as more entertainment than gospel. Smith's resume is very good. His defense gave up 35 points a game! If he is on the board and we pass on him, it would be a giant mistake.

Yup.

Amen.

Mayock is OK, he was too high on Matt Ryan for my liking--because they were both Boston College guys it seemed fishy. The real thing is that none of these guys know about QBs--even NFL GMs make horrible mistakes.

As for the orignal Eagles question. EJ Manuel from Florida State really look like he skill set and QB body type that Chip Kelly had at Oregon. I'm anxious to see how he builds his system in the NFL.

The only quarterback I want in this draft is Geno Smith. He has a unique skill set that you could build an offense around especially if you are innovative and adapt schemes to players strengths. Add his dynamic skillset to CJ Spiller in the backfield and you could have a dangerous offense.

What people on here seem to underestimate as well are leadership characteristics in a QB. I believe Geno Smith possesses great leadership qualities. He has a great positive attitude. He can handle the media with class, dignity and confidence. He also has a slight "edge" to him that guys would follow.

I think all the other QBs will basically be like Tannehills, Ponders; just mediocre guys who will never be a franchise quarterback.

The problem is I feel strongly the Eagles will take him at #4. They have Vick to be the veteran to groom Smith for one year or maybe even just a half year. Chip Kelly's offense largely depends on a mobile quarterback and I think they will take Geno Smith as their QB of the future.

I either hope we get lucky and they don't take him or Buddy Nix has the sack to trade up in front of them.

I didn't see guys following him when they played Syracuse near season's end...Geno also does not have a good record in cold/bad weather games so why shouldn't he be off to Buffalo or Green Bay??? What is so unique about his skillset? What edge does he have in leadership as most of these QB's are good leaders generally as they have to be...Why do you feel others on here as you mentioned don't agree or see your point about Geno Smith? I would like to hear the specifics of your arguments rather than that he has an edge, good leadership, and can handle the media! Tim Tebow really handles the media better than almost anyone, and where has that got him?? Has he succeeded so far in the NFL in your opinion? Don't you think he has good leadership abilities as well? So maybe it's not only about those qualities? Do you think that maybe the big deal everyone made about Andrew Luck coming out last year was more about accuracy & technique? Those are real skillsets that I care about that are important. He was probably the biggest lock for success at QB that I've seen since the class of '83. Even Peyton versus Leaf didn't win a consensus lock! I really had a feeling about Colin Kapernick & Russel Wilson last year based on their history, technique and as long as they were placed in the right scheme...especially Wilson..I felt the research bore out that they would succeed and so far both are working out fairly nice aren't they? I just don't have that feeling about Geno Smith based on what I see. As a matter of fact he won't be a starter in 2013 just wait and see... I think that Nassib is a project that could develop into a solid QB, His best fit would be the Bills because of familiarity of the coaches, terminology, and the offensive scheme. I think Glennon & T. Wilson could possibly turn out to be decent QB's? I think it would be foolish in this draft to expend a top 10 pick for a QB though....and I study this stuff quite carefully..create my own war room, and know that we would have a team filled with Pro Bowlers if the Bills would've used my draft analysis year after year...ie: B. Orakapo, Von Miller, Hali Ngnata, Colin Kapernick, Rob Grankowski, & B. Cushing, etc...they would all be in a Bills uniform right now!!! Could you imagine? The only pick that I had slated as did the Bills when they drafted was Jairus Byrd as that was a dead ringer in my opinion, not too mention the blood line considering his Dad's NFL experiences! Don't get me wrong I do like C.J. Spiller a lot, but knowing the shelf life of a running back in the NFL and how far the Buffalo Bills had to go to become something decent, I would not have made the move to draft him. So it's premature, but I could eat crow on that pick...or maybe not? I know when you keep on cycling through star players at one position it's hard to gain ground when you keep filling the same holes ie: Travis Henry, Willis McGahee, Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson (as the primary back), now C.J. Spiller......I also did not like the pick of Leodis McKelvin (was it Troy State) if I remember...Just like that knucklehead QB we drafted and eventually released. I want talent that has competed at a high level...especially the S.E.C. if you ask me. As far as the draft there just might be another player that I like from C.J.'s alma mater, not too mention Alabama & Georgia...but I'll save that for another post!

Anyways, I got off subject a bit, but I don't have the time to go through all these threads so I go off on my tangent when I can so excuse me if you would...... So what are things the Bills MUST DO to become successful soon???

1. Draft the QB that the Bills have slated highest on their draft board. Trade up or down if possible to avoid a huge reach, but if they make up their mind on a QB they must get'er done! My personal feeling is that they will see who falls to their 2nd round pick as there could be several sliders including Matt Barkley, M. Glennon, and I wouldn't call R. Nassib a slide as evaluation would probably dictate the 3rd round, but he won't be there by then!

2. The Bills need to focus on defense on their 1st round pick unless they can trade down for multiple picks to a mid to late 1st round pick. I think the first round pick will be a LB. Possibly A. Olgatree or M. T'eo. I think T'eo could slide with all the recent contoroversy though so as of now A. Olgatree may be the pick? I know we need a WR, but you can get good WR's througout the draft.

3. I think keeping R. Fitzpatrick on the roster is a mistake. I like Ryan as far as being a good team player and a competitor, but I just don't think that he will ever improve enough to take a step forward. Please dump T. Thigphen as quickly as possible as that is a wasted roster spot! I would pick up one of the best free agent QB's available which isn't saying much!

4. Play to win, not to not to lose if that makes any sense? You win the coin toss...you get the ball and have confidence you are going to take the lead right off the bat. Play aggressive, go for it when you are inside the other team's 40 yard line. The point is play to win!!! Play to be in the lead instead of worrying about receiving the ball in the second half out of fear that you will be behind and have ground to make up. That's pathetic to me!!! Good Riddance Jauron II, I mean Gailey!

5. This coach needs to be the Captain of the Ship and should never do a Gailey and respond with "I don't know" "I don't have the answers" "Until I review the film I can't comment on that", and please always know what down it is!!!

I could go on with 45 other things etc...but the main thing is play aggressive always, play to score and win the game!!!

Last thing: I believe in the Analytics the Bills are adopting as that is generally how I approach each draft. I can study 3 or 4 draft guides, some video and interviews of prospective draftees, view a lot of opinions, coaching comments, and so-called expert review from kiper and all the different talent evaluators, and watch some of the college games, senior bowls, and the combine and barring injury or unknown factors make the correct decision 8 or 9 times out of 10! There will be times when you miss completely, and that is why I believe this is not the year to expend a first round pick on a QB ! At least not in the top 15...but it won't go that way as two QB's will go top 15 and probably within top 10!!!

Are u out of your mind, we need more than a QB to build our team. Oakland just gave away a boat load of picks to Cincinnati and look where they are. Marrone owned West Virginia and Smith everytime. We need a linebacker and then a QB 2nd round.

Ahhhh! Someone I agree with...Check out my reply/post as you summed up my long thesis in two sentences!!! Greeeeat Job!!!

Ahhhh! Someone I agree with...Check out my reply/post as you summed up my long thesis in two sentences!!! Greeeeat Job!!!

I agree a LB 1st and QB in 2nd, but i really feel Marrone and his staff will make a world of difference just by themselves. Even if they didn't add any players I think they are a better team just because the new coaches are more competent. Of course that is just my opinion.

I'm not so sure...Nix spent 15 Picks in the last 3 drafts, including 7 in 2011 alone, on Defense. And how did that work out? I don't believe any position will get priority over QB in 2013...That means if there is not a QB The Bills want at #8, then trade back a bit...and still Draft a QB in the 1st...I certainly hope Buddy has leaned his lesson concerning Drafting for "need." The lesson is, there is no need greater than QB... B-)

Love the idea of trading back. I simulated a draft where we trade with St. Louis for their #16 and #22. Our RD3 and our #8 pick does the trick. They get their RB that they want, Giovani Bernard RBF North Carolina.

Our draft:

1A-Keenan Allen WRF California

1B-Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas

2---Alex Okafor OLB34 Texas

4--Chase Thomas OLB43 Stanford

5--Darius Slay CB Mississippi State

6--Stansly Maponga DE43 TCU

I agree a LB 1st and QB in 2nd, but i really feel Marrone and his staff will make a world of difference just by themselves. Even if they didn't add any players I think they are a better team just because the new coaches are more competent. Of course that is just my opinion.

I tend to agree with you about Marrone from limited perspective. I am optimistic, but of course real NFL games will impress me more.. I like the sounds of the coaching staff and their intentions and how their basic philosophy of offense and defense sounds as well...I think Gailey limited the teams prospects with the play not to lose mentality. There was little if any fire to him..and even less under Jauron. Marrone seems to have some fire in him and for that alone I think they would've won 2 more games last year!!!

Love the idea of trading back. I simulated a draftwhere we trade with St. Louis for their #16 and #22. Our RD3 and our #8 pick does the trick. They get their RB that they want, Giovani Bernard RBF North Carolina.

Our draft:

This possible draft outcome looks like a huge win. offense and defense gets tightened up quick. okafor and thomas would be nice.......IMO I'd like to sneak in a Tight End somewhere in 5,6

Love the idea of trading back. I simulated a draftwhere we trade with St. Louis for their #16 and #22. Our RD3 and our #8 pick does the trick. They get their RB that they want, Giovani Bernard RBF North Carolina.

Our draft:

I love that trade down you proposed! We may be able to squeeze a little more mustard out of them and get a tad more, but I would be happy in that scenario, and your draft isn't too shabby neither! I think the Bills have a formidable amount of interest in Tyler Wilson, Nassib, and in a draft value scenario of risk vs potential reward maybe Matt Barkley. You can rule out Landry Jones, Geno Smith though. I'm mixed on M. Glennon for now and it's early to rule him out as well. I like what you've done overall with your draft and trade-down scenario quite a bit actually, but the only thing I'm have reservations about is drafting a WR in the first round unless he is so dominant like some of the WR's in the past several drafts. I really would like to sew up my Linebacking needs as we've created a hole by releasing N. Barnett and we already had inept play and holes in our linebacking corps prior to his release. M. T'eo is high risk/reward right now with all his controversies, but many say A. Olgatree is a good fit? What do you think???

I wish this topic would have stayed on the main board longer....

Our draft:

Best draft I've seen from you yet this year Astro.