Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill say, the agency that he chose is a pretty natural fit and likely will be successful long term. This won't be Ricky Williams letting master p ruin everything good going for him.

Jay-Z also got Robinson Cano and Victor Cruz, he's no joke. Cano may soon get one of the biggest contracts in sports. Supposedly athletes came to him for help in finding income beyond their particular sport and that's how he got started in this. He's more intelligent than your run of the mill rapper.

Jay-Z also got Robinson Cano and Victor Cruz, he's no joke. Cano may soon get one of the biggest contracts in sports. Supposedly athletes came to him for help in finding income beyond their particular sport and that's how he got started in this. He's more intelligent than your run of the mill rapper.

The old fogies won't like it, but that rapper Jay Z is about as good of a businessman around. Dude wins in everything he does. And that fact that Joe Camel looking mofo can pull a 15 year younger, super rich Beyonce is more proof.

and frankly, i know the arrangement is a bit "questionable" by nfl rules but hes got CAA backing him, which is REALLY solid. For a star New York athlete - theres really not a reason to not take advantage of this partnership thats in the works (and many of the biggest are)

and frankly, i know the arrangement is a bit "questionable" by nfl rules but hes got CAA backing him, which is REALLY solid. For a star New York athlete - theres really not a reason to not take advantage of this partnership thats in the works (and many of the biggest are)

Jay Z is an amazing guy, very smart, and a terrific businessman. Roc Nation is an incredible company. I would normally say that a player may do doing very well to sign with Jay Z and have the CAA backing.

The problem is, it may be the absolute worst sign for Geno Smith, who needs to be keeping his snoot in the playbook instead of his endorsement deals and being the toast of New York. Humbling would be the best thing for Geno. This is going to be awesome. I think Jay Z and Roc Nation are brilliant, but this one has a great chance to blow up in Geno Smith's face.

Jay Z is an amazing guy, very smart, and a terrific businessman. Roc Nation is an incredible company. I would normally say that a player may do doing very well to sign with Jay Z and have the CAA backing.

The problem is, it may be the absolute worst sign for Geno Smith, who needs to be keeping his snoot in the playbook instead of his endorsement deals and being the toast of New York. Humbling would be the best thing for Geno. This is going to be awesome. I think Jay Z and Roc Nation are brilliant, but this one has a great chance to blow up in Geno Smith's face.

im not going to knock a guy for signing with too good an agency. when he starts blowing off responsibility for stardom, sure.

generally to that point - im not sure what the proper course of action would be for a guy looking to sign on with someone that also needs to be humbled.... sign with a poor marketer offering little opportunity?

i get what your saying in theory, but on a practical level im not sure what the expectation is.

Edited by NoSaint

im not going to knock a guy for signing with too good an agency. when he starts blowing off responsibility for stardom, sure.

generally to that point - im not sure what the proper course of action would be for a guy looking to sign on with someone that also needs to be humbled.... sign with a poor marketer offering little opportunity?

i get what your saying in theory, but on a practical level im not sure what the expectation is.

The expectation is to sign with a good, tough, no nonsense top agent and not worry about your stardom until you become a star. If you're the QB of the Jets and play well, the offers will pour in. He's signing with an entertainment mogul before he takes one snap. The biggest hurdle to becoming a good player in the NFL for Geno Smith is Geno's Smith's head.

The expectation is to sign with a good, tough, no nonsense top agent and not worry about your stardom until you become a star. If you're the QB of the Jets and play well, the offers will pour in. He's signing with an entertainment mogul before he takes one snap. The biggest hurdle to becoming a good player in the NFL for Geno Smith is Geno's Smith's head.

an important distinction is that Jay Z isnt an NFL agent, last i knew. hes a marketing representative, whos clients are funneling into CAA for contract representation and causing a good amount of controversy... geno just got himself one of the top agencies in CAA, and a top marketer to go along side it. every kid in the top of the draft (and many not at the top) have marketing contracts - geno just has a high profile one based on who he is, where he is, etc.... whether they handle him in a no-nonsense manner or if hes at rap parties toasting himself is yet to be seen. with the huge success both organizations have had, i would imagine your concerns will be a part of their thought process as well.

Edited by NoSaint

an important distinction is that Jay Z isnt an NFL agent, last i knew. hes a marketing representative, whos clients are funneling into CAA for contract representation and causing a good amount of controversy... geno just got himself one of the top agencies in CAA, and a top marketer to go along side it. every kid in the top of the draft (and many not at the top) have marketing contracts - geno just has a high profile one based on who he is, where he is, etc.... whether they handle him in a no-nonsense manner or if hes at rap parties toasting himself is yet to be seen. with the huge success both organizations have had, i would imagine your concerns will be a part of their thought process as well.

Don't think that is the case but I am not sure.

Last month, the NFLPA gave Jay-Z a pass regarding his involvement in CAA’s recruitment of Giants receiver Victor Cruz, attributing any influence Jay-Z may have exercised to his longstanding friendship with Cruz (which likely didn’t date back to his days as an unknown wideout at UMass).

This month, Jay-Z has put the PA in a slightly more complex pickle.

The entertainment mogul’s 100th problem arises from a change made by the union in 2012 to the rules regarding “runners.” Essentially, the NFLPA has banned them, allowing only certified NFLPA agents to be recruit potential clients. Since Jay-Z isn’t a certified NFLPA agent, he can’t be involved in recruiting a player to sign with an agent for the purposes of handling the player’s NFL contract.

Despite the existence of a business relationship between Jay-Z’s Roc Nation and CAA, CAA wasn’t one of the agencies in the running to represent Jets quarterback Geno Smith. Instead, Roc Nation hired Kim Miale, a largely (if not completely) unknown NFLPA-certified agent, whom Smith has now hired to represent him.

She represents no active NFL players. Except for Geno Smith.

So which person did Smith really choose? Miale, or Jay-Z? Smith said that Jay-Z played “not that big of a role” in the decision, but Smith based the decision on “being in New York from a standpoint of what they can do in the city, the connections that they have, I think it’s a good move.”

So who’s the “they”? Miale, or the guy with whom Smith was hanging out last week?

In past posts, we’ve chalked up much of the complaining about Jay-Z from other agents to run-of-the-mill professional jealously. But that was before Jay-Z embarked on a strategy that seems to brazenly violate the applicable rules. Under this precedent, any actor, musician, or other celebrity can, in lieu of demonstrating the credentials to become an NFLPA-certified agent, launch a firm, hire an unknown agent, and represent players without technically “representing” them.

As one agent said in response to today’s developments, “Maybe I need to hire P. Diddy in order to get clients.”

The wiser move for Jay-Z would have been to steer Smith to another firm (like Priority Sports) for his contract, and to sign Smith for off-field endorsements. While some agents may have scoffed at the idea of letting Jay-Z essentially run the show, eventually some agent who actually has had, you know, active NFL clients would have accepted the assignment.

It’s unknown whether the NFLPA will challenge the situation. While it will be easier for Jay-Z to tiptoe around the potential recruitment issue if the players are hiring Roc Nation for off-field opportunities and CAA for their contracts, it becomes much harder to pass the smell test when the actual agent is a warm body with a license to negotiate clients, and the clients believe that they’re actually hiring Jay-Z.

When everyone else believes it, too, it becomes even more of a dilemma for the union.

Don't think that is the case but I am not sure.

Ah- that's not quite what I had read. The initial report I saw made it sound like they were following the victor Cruz model using CAA

If true, ill still stand by that I don't think they will put his celebrity above performance but that's yet to be seen as the roc nation sports stuff is still in its infancy - so a degree of speculation.

Best of luck to him with all this. Goes from pouting on day one of the draft, to look at him now... Not looking any better than Sanchez in OTAs.... Oh I can't wait for Pettine's new defense to shut down this kid

And he was supposed to be first overall...