Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

I would love to get this guy, but at 8?? idk if he's worth that.

Who do you like at #8 that is more valuable to our team than a potential franchise QB? There are four reasons not to pick Geno at #8:

1) He is picked in the first seven picks

2) You think the % chance he becomes a playoff winning caliber starter is not very high

3) There is a monster player at another position ahead of him

4) You prefer Barkley apples to apples

You are implying #3, and I'm wondering who that player is. Just like all the talk about wasting the spiller Pick, etc. I don't see the consensus Orakpo/Ngata here. I'm fine if our strategy to get our franchise QB involves drafting him with the #41 pick or in the 2014 draft, but only if we don't think there is a guy available at #8, which is our first choice. I happen to think both Geno and Barkley have a pretty good shot at becoming "playoff-winning caliber" eight year starter QBs. I would put the chances for Geno at about 70%, Barkley at about 50%, and Nassib at about 20%. Unless he is off the board or you think my numbers are way off, you take him at #8.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do you like at #8 that is more valuable to our team than a potential franchise QB? There are four reasons not to pick Geno at #8:

2) You think the % chance he becomes a playoff winning caliber starter is not very high

You are implying #3, and I'm wondering who that player is. Just like all the talk about wasting the spiller Pick, etc. I don't see the consensus Orakpo/Ngata here. I'm fine if our strategy to get our franchise QB involves drafting him with the #41 pick or in the 2014 draft, but only if we don't think there is a guy available at #8, which is our first choice. I happen to think both Geno and Barkley have a pretty good shot at becoming "playoff-winning caliber" eight year starter QBs. I would put the chances for Geno at about 70%, Barkley at about 50%, and Nassib at about 20%. Unless he is off the board or you think my numbers are way off, you take him at #8.

Dont get me wrong, I like geno, and really would not be disappointed if we did draft him first round. On the other hand, we did just sign kolb and the 2014 draft looks promising with respect to QBs. So passing on spending a high draft pick on a QB this year isnt such a bad idea to me.

In response to your question, players I would take over Smith would include Chance Warmack, Lane Johnson, Dion Jordan, Cordarrelle Patterson, and Eric Fisher.

i think your numbers are way off, though it may be kind of irrelevant... Bills numbers are what matters. in "bad" qb years, which this may be, you aren't getting 2 good qb's so the %'s are probably a lot lower... at least that's what experts are saying and GM/scouts aren't publicly disagreeing.

what if Bills numbers are: Geno 40%, Barkley 38%, manuel 36%, nassib 34%, and Tyler Wilson 32% ??

i think that is the real question. if the numbers are what you say, then there isn't really a debate at all. They DO take Geno. But if the odds aren't so different between guys you get in the first vs. the 2nd, THEN you probably don't pass on a 75% player (Fisher, L.Johnson, D.Jordan possibly) just to get 2 or 4 extra % points chance on a guy they aren't convinced will pan out anyway.

Edited by Brainiac21

During the beginning of last years college season I was all over us getting Geno. A small part of me still does I'll admit.

Can they still draft him?? Sure. But I don't think they will. Here some reasons why I feel the Bills won't draft him at 8.

1. Kolb

2. Defense still has to many holes. We Need a LB more than we need a QB IMO.

3. We have a history of draft BPA. Buddy has done it before.

4. We have seen ALL the QB's in this years draft worth drafting in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds. You can say without a doubt they have done the research. I guess they think they can make it to the second round and still get a young QB.

Edited by Bufcomments

During the beginning of last years college season I was all over us getting Geno. A small part of me still does I'll admit.

Can they still draft him?? Sure. But I don't think they will. Here some reasons why I feel the Bills won't draft him at 8.

1. Kolb

2. Defense still has to many holes. We Need a LB more than we need a QB IMO.

3. We have a history of draft BPA. Buddy has done it before.

to say we need a lb more than a qb, i think is crazy. any team that doesnt have their qb situation settled cannot put another position above that. only question is do you think that the qb is one that has a good chance to succeed - if its yes, i dont care who else is on the board.

to say we need a lb more than a qb, i think is crazy. any team that doesnt have their qb situation settled cannot put another position above that. only question is do you think that the qb is one that has a good chance to succeed - if its yes, i dont care who else is on the board.

Last yr we were what dead last against the run. We will be 4-12 this year if we don't get better on D.

So yes we need LBers more than QB right now. The Bills must think Kolb can run Hacket's scheme.

Last yr we were what dead last against the run. We will be 4-12 this year if we don't get better on D.

So yes we need LBers more than QB right now. The Bills must think Kolb can run Hacket's scheme.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&season=2012&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

There is not a huge correlation between winning and run defense. There is an incalculable correlation between having a QB and winning.

Could not possibly disagree with this take enough...No way...No how...QB trumps all...And until you have a REAL good one you're spinning your wheels...And even if they think Kolb may be able to do it, you still try to do better at the QB position...The same way the Seahawks did after signing Flynn,, and the Niners did with Alex Smith already on the Roster...

No offense...But it's that kind of attitude about the QB position that got us 3 years of Fitz...So...No thanks... B-)

know what would be good for our run defense? playing with a lead. it would also be good for our pass rush. probably creates turnovers. would also help our own running game. and a qb could make our line and wrs look better....

but i see what your saying about a linebacker being helpful.

Could not possibly disagree with this take enough...No way...No how...QB trumps all...And until you have a REAL good one you're spinning your wheels...And even if they think Kolb may be able to do it, you still try to do better at the QB position...The same way the Seahawks did after signing Flynn,, and the Niners did with Alex Smith already on the Roster...

No offense...But it's that kind of attitude about the QB position that got us 3 years of Fitz...So...No thanks... B-)

yeah, but those teams didn't do it with the 8th pick... and probably not with the top QB in their board either. they took a shot a little later, which is what we should have done, and probably will this year. they didn't grab someone no one was sure of with a top 10 pick... and isn't that the question here? we will take a QB, but how soon if yer only 50/50 on him?

yeah, but those teams didn't do it with the 8th pick... and probably not with the top QB in their board either. they took a shot a little later, which is what we should have done, and probably will this year. they didn't grab someone no one was sure of with a top 10 pick... and isn't that the question here? we will take a QB, but how soon if yer only 50/50 on him?

if you are 50-50 on a guy, hes roughly a top ten pick.... so right about at 8 would be fine by me if we feel that way about one.

Seattle drafted Aaron Curry with a top 5 because he was safe. Alex Smith was the #1 overall pick because they had questions about Rodgers. They drafted a receiver in the 1st this year who didn't catch a pass.

The logic of waiting on a franchise QB is insane. If Marrone believes there is a QB that will be a franchise type of guy, he'd be an idiot to hope he can get here where Mel Kiper says he would go. Would any of us be complaining if we drafted Brady, Wilson, or Kaepernick higher than where Kiper had them going?

Right...Half...that seems pretty accurate... :o

Probably pretty inaccurate.........but a slight exaggeration is a good way to get a point across in one sentence. He ran an easy short yardage passing game with playmakers like Tavon Austin inflating his stats.

Probably pretty inaccurate.........but a slight exaggeration is a good way to get a point across in one sentence. He ran an easy short yardage passing game with playmakers like Tavon Austin inflating his stats.

Well then...With Spiller and Freddie he'd fit right in... ;)

We already got better on D by firing Wanny and hiring Pettine.