Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

Found this comment on Geno today. Reading this are you still wanting him to come to the Bills??

This is just a small sample of Pro Football Weekly's scouting report on Geno Smith, in their NFL Draft Preview book: Average field vision, Nonchalant field presense, has pin legs and bad pocket posture, does not command respect from his teammates, cannot inspire, Mild practice demeanor - no urgency, Interviewed poorly at the combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board, needed to be coddled in college, cannot handle hard coaching, overhyped product of the system, could drain energy from a QB room. -Nolan Nawrocki, Pro Football Weekly

This makes me NOT want him.

Thoughts?

Nawrocki also said this:

Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can anyone not be a bit freaked out by these comments? I can deal with physical limitations, but work ethic and leadership issues in a high QB pick can set back a franchise for years. It's terrifying. I can't think of a worse description than a combination of Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks... even if the source is imperfect, can the Bills afford to take the risk?

Maybe because Narwocki is making things up. He's certainly never talked to Smith's coaches...

Whatever the motivation, Smith's ability to stiff-arm the accolades and maintain his focus is as rare as it is powerful.

"There are a lot of guys," Holgorsen said, "who will sit and get on the Internet and read article after article about themselves, or turn on the TV and record their interviews. He's a guy that just doesn't do that. He would rather read a book or put a on his iPad and go home and study. ... He'd rather do that than go check out what the club's like tonight or what these specific girls are doing in the library."

There's a reason for that, the head coach said about his quarterback.

"He's the most competitive guy I've been around," Holgorsen said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/football-121003Maisel/west-virginia-mountaineers-quarterback-geno-smith-focus-solely-football

Given his position as points leader in the video-game era of college football offense, it's no surprise West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith would rather break down film than relive past glories, even when the visitor in question is his mother and the time at hand is the aftermath of the Mountaineers' 70-63 victory over Baylor.

"I'm sure he had three Texas games on his iPad," said West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen, whose eighth-ranked Mountaineers play No. 11 Texas at 6 p.m. Saturday in Austin. "He's a student of the game."

http://www.chron.com/sports/college-football/article/West-Virginia-QB-Smith-does-his-homework-3924068.php

Spavital said the thing sets Smith apart is obsessive film study and relentless work ethic. He said Weeden also has good work habits, but that Smith was over the top.

"Brandon studied a lot, but he did things on his own," said Spavital. "He was married and he went home to his wife. Geno, football is all he cared about. He'd take the O-line out to eat and then come back to the office and we'd watch stuff on the iPad. He was always trying to improve. I've never seen anybody study harder with the tape than he does."

Spavital said Smith, who studied NFL QBs such as Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees, can do it all.

"He's more of an under-center, pro-style play-action, quarterback, but he can throw out of the shotgun, play in the spread, run a zone-read," he said. "He's such a student of the game, there were times we let him check 80 percent of the game. He knows how to manage a game and he knows what everyone is supposed to be doing."

~Jake Spavital, former West Virginia QB coach

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/02/geno_smith_is_a_top-5_player_i.html

Too many personal film sessions ran long. When Jake Spavital returned to his office at West Virginia, quarterback Geno Smith was usually camped out watching tape. The quarterbacks coach had no choice but to shag Smith away. The quarterback had class.

So then, Spavital had a solution.

“I got him an iPad so he’d go to class,” said Spavital, who is now at Texas A&M. “And then he’d start watching the iPad tape in class, which causes more distractions.”

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190936841.html

I remember reading the ESPN article last fall, along with another that was far more detailed regarding his game preparation. They were written around the time of the Texas game last year, well before the draft came. They were emphasizing not why he should be drafted, but why he was playing so well.

Finding that article proved impossible. Finding these were hard enough.

That's because when you now google +Geno Smith work ethic, 14 of 15 articles are something along the lines of "Pro Football Weekly Scout blast's Geno Smith's work ethic".

Another Nolan Narwocki hack job.

At best, he wrote some really stupid things, as filler for the analysis he failed to investigate. (or at least back up with examples of evidence).

At worst, he saw how much attention his Cam Newton evaluation received, and chose a repeat performance.

I'll take Nolan Narwocki with a grain of salt.

Maybe because Narwocki is making things up. He's certainly never talked to Smith's coaches...

Whatever the motivation, Smith's ability to stiff-arm the accolades and maintain his focus is as rare as it is powerful.

"There are a lot of guys," Holgorsen said, "who will sit and get on the Internet and read article after article about themselves, or turn on the TV and record their interviews. He's a guy that just doesn't do that. He would rather read a book or put a on his iPad and go home and study. ... He'd rather do that than go check out what the club's like tonight or what these specific girls are doing in the library."

http://espn.go.com/c...solely-football

Given his position as points leader in the video-game era of college football offense, it's no surprise West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith would rather break down film than relive past glories, even when the visitor in question is his mother and the time at hand is the aftermath of the Mountaineers' 70-63 victory over Baylor.

"I'm sure he had three Texas games on his iPad," said West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen, whose eighth-ranked Mountaineers play No. 11 Texas at 6 p.m. Saturday in Austin. "He's a student of the game."

http://www.chron.com...ork-3924068.php

Spavital said the thing sets Smith apart is obsessive film study and relentless work ethic. He said Weeden also has good work habits, but that Smith was over the top.

"Brandon studied a lot, but he did things on his own," said Spavital. "He was married and he went home to his wife. Geno, football is all he cared about. He'd take the O-line out to eat and then come back to the office and we'd watch stuff on the iPad. He was always trying to improve. I've never seen anybody study harder with the tape than he does."

Spavital said Smith, who studied NFL QBs such as Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees, can do it all.

"He's more of an under-center, pro-style play-action, quarterback, but he can throw out of the shotgun, play in the spread, run a zone-read," he said. "He's such a student of the game, there were times we let him check 80 percent of the game. He knows how to manage a game and he knows what everyone is supposed to be doing."

http://www.cleveland...5_player_i.html

Too many personal film sessions ran long. When Jake Spavital returned to his office at West Virginia, quarterback Geno Smith was usually camped out watching tape. The quarterbacks coach had no choice but to shag Smith away. The quarterback had class.

“I got him an iPad so he’d go to class,” said Spavital, who is now at Texas A&M. “And then he’d start watching the iPad tape in class, which causes more distractions.”

http://www.jsonline..../190936841.html

I remember reading the ESPN article last fall, along with another that was far more detailed regarding his game preparation. They were written around the time of the Texas game last year, well before the draft came. They were emphasizing not why he should be drafted, but why he was playing so well.

That's because when you now google +Geno Smith work ethic, 14 of 15 articles are something along the lines of "Pro Football Weekly Scout blast's Geno Smith's work ethic".

At best, he wrote some really stupid things, as filler for the analysis he failed to investigate. (or at least back up with examples of evidence).

At worst, he saw how much attention his Cam Newton evaluation received, and chose a repeat performance.

It's all noise.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/football-121003Maisel/west-virginia-mountaineers-quarterback-geno-smith-focus-solely-football

http://www.chron.com/sports/college-football/article/West-Virginia-QB-Smith-does-his-homework-3924068.php

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/02/geno_smith_is_a_top-5_player_i.html

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190936841.html

Huh. Not sure what to think. Someone is blatantly lying. And it's one thing to say Glenn is really a guard, etc. But to attack a guy's leadership and work ethic (or inflate it), damn...

It seems as though Nawrocki has gone off the deep end as of late...his over-the-top criticism of Cam Newton was relatively surprising, and this review of Geno is equally acidic.

It almost makes me think that--in the information age, where draft "experts" are a dime a dozen--guys like Nawrocki feel slighted...to the point where they have to say extreme things in order to get attention.

Otherwise, why not just give your opinion in a respectful manner, without criticizing the kid's character? By all accounts, Geno--whether you think he'll make it as an NFL QB or not--is a great kid.

Newton was a great pick and is not a flash in the pan and in time you haters will see that.

Newton is not Geno Smith.

If we ended up taking Geno SMith in the 1st everyone here would be excited and nobody can say with certainty ahead of time it wouldn't be teh best QB we took a shot on in a long time. And last I checked...yes...we are in that mode...grasp mode from now until we get a QB

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath... if he folded so easily under pressure last year, he's really going to blow a gasket the longer the losing goes...!

Nawrocki compares Geno to another famous first round bust Akili Smith, then rates him a Top 50 pick?? Really??? It's like saying Akili Smith would be less of a bust in the 2nd or 3rd round. "The player does not belong in the NFL!! Better play it safe and draft him in the 2nd round." :blink:

PTR

Yea cam newton is terrible, only threw for 4,000 yards as a rookie. You posters that naysay Cam are funny to me, he's got all the arm in the world and routinely runs defenders over. Can't wait til the panthers get a D. IMO cam doubters will look pretty foolish.

Cam is the prototype...........keep telling us the trooth about nassib and kolb while ignoring real talented qb's

They were garbage time stats :nana:

Found this comment on Geno today. Reading this are you still wanting him to come to the Bills??

This is just a small sample of Pro Football Weekly's scouting report on Geno Smith, in their NFL Draft Preview book: Average field vision, Nonchalant field presense, has pin legs and bad pocket posture, does not command respect from his teammates, cannot inspire, Mild practice demeanor - no urgency, Interviewed poorly at the combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board, needed to be coddled in college, cannot handle hard coaching, overhyped product of the system, could drain energy from a QB room. -Nolan Nawrocki, Pro Football Weekly

This makes me NOT want him.

Thoughts?

Geno and coaches weigh in - his qb coach calls him a "coaches dream"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/02/geno-smith-calls-report-about-work-ethic-untrue/

Geno and coaches weigh in - his qb coach calls him a "coaches dream"

http://profootballta...k-ethic-untrue/

They slammed Nawrocki pretty hard on "Path To The Draft" today...Charles Davis and Daniel Jeremiah, who have both spent some time with Smith, and talked to a ton of Scouts along with folks at WVU, strongly disagreed with Nawrocki's evaluation and words...They both admitted Geno has holes in his game, he's a little soft-spoken, and that he definitely has things to work on...Charlie Casserly chimed in and said Geno did struggle a bit early in his College career, was not a great academic student, and could still be a harder worker (he pointed to his opinion that Geno is still a little soft body-wise)...But Casserly felt the biggest knock he's heard about Geno is that he may not be able to start as a Rookie...Davis and Jeremiah especially were very clear that everything they have heard, and everything they have seen with their own two eyes, makes them believe he's a hard enough worker who loves football and was a good teammate...

I think Nawrocki just loves this stuff...I think he does it on purpose...He did it with Cam and now with Geno...Not that there is not a little truth behind his comments...But he goes overboard...I think he's trying to sell PFW's Draft Guide...He knows how to draw attention to his publication... B-)

I don't scout QB's but I don't see how a mild demeanor is suppose to be a bad thing. I understand the appeal of a QB that is going to yell and get his teammates respect but why is a guy who is calm under pressure and doesn't panic bad? Eli Manning for several seasons was knocked as "having that same stupid look on his face", "Soft", "Not having enough dog in him" or "Not willing his teammates" many pundits and fans called him Sheli Manning.

Yet a guy with a mild demeanor has won two super bowls and his calm under pressure demeanor is credited as a big reason for the Giants being a team that comes up under pressure. Nothing wrong with an even keel approach.

They slammed Nawrocki pretty hard on "Path To The Draft" today...Charles Davis and Daniel Jeremiah, who have both spent some time with Smith, and talked to a ton of Scouts along with folks at WVU, strongly disagreed with Nawrocki's evaluation and words...They both admitted Geno has holes in his game, he's a little soft-spoken, and that he definitely has things to work on...Charlie Casserly chimed in and said Geno did struggle a bit early in his College career, was not a great academic student, and could still be a harder worker (he pointed to his opinion that Geno is still a little soft body-wise)...But Casserly felt the biggest knock he's heard about Geno is that he may not be able to start as a Rookie...Davis and Jeremiah especially were very clear that everything they have heard, and everything they have seen with their own two eyes, makes them believe he's a hard enough worker who loves football and was a good teammate...

I think Nawrocki just loves this stuff...I think he does it on purpose...He did it with Cam and now with Geno...Not that there is not a little truth behind his comments...But he goes overboard...I think he's trying to sell PFW's Draft Guide...He knows how to draw attention to his publication... B-)

Exactly...now that he's no longer unique as a draft guy, he's going for shock value...it's pretty sad.

There is general consensus that Nawrocki was the "anonymous" source that did the same kind of hatchet job on RG3 prior to last year's draft. Personally, I think Nawrocki has personal issues.

GO BILLS!!!

There is general consensus that Nawrocki was the "anonymous" source that did the same kind of hatchet job on RG3 prior to last year's draft. Personally, I think Nawrocki has personal issues.

GO BILLS!!!

You know, I'm not one to cry racism, but why is it always the black QBs?

Nawrocki compares Geno to another famous first round bust Akili Smith, then rates him a Top 50 pick?? Really??? It's like saying Akili Smith would be less of a bust in the 2nd or 3rd round. "The player does not belong in the NFL!! Better play it safe and draft him in the 2nd round." :blink:

PTR

Um, that's not what he said. He said he's probably going to go in the top 50, not that he deserves to. http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/04/01/barkley-smith-scouting-reports

Very good question.

http://espn.go.com/c...solely-football

http://www.chron.com...ork-3924068.php

http://www.cleveland...5_player_i.html

http://www.jsonline..../190936841.html

Good research. The Nawrocki comments deserved a response.

Quiet or the PPP posse will accuse you of being racism. I'm sure he would say a white qb was a cross between Aaron Brooks & Akili Smith.

Btw, can I just saw I'm a scout because I watch college football?

Mike Mayock swears Nawrocki is a stand-up guy but hints that maybe he was misled about Geno by a scout.

A lot of these draft gurus talk to scouts to get their info. But scouts aren't necessarily motivated to speak the truth. If your team wants a guy, it's to your advantage to spread bad information about him. It's crappy and unethical, but it happens.

Mayock's comments are here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156971/article/mike-mayock-defends-writer-of-geno-smith-critique