Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

I think it definitely means something. This is an opportunity to see improvements to things seen on tape. It's all scripted but not having a single person from the team there says a lot.

they can also visit with him privately in the coming weeks and avoid the crowds, and met with him just weeks ago. hes also thrown a TON of passes on tape.

the surprising thing is that WVU has a fair number of propects (though i know AZ is chasing high rated WRs).

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if the Raiders take Geno and the Cards take Barkley.

This scenario "could" actually work to our advantage. Bills could probably trade down, gain a pic or two and still get one of the 2nd tier candidates. Or better yet, 2 of the 2nd tier candidates.

jb

@RapSheet: Who will be #Cardinals QBs battling? Drew Stanton, Brian Hoyer, and either Skelton or Lindley. Not expecting first-round QB selection.

I hope we take Geno or Barkley. We need to take a chance with a new QB and not a retread that failed with another NFL team.

Not if the Raiders take Geno and the Cards take Barkley.

If they aren't there when it is your turn then you are still in position to select a quality player at another position. There are still good qb prospects who will be available in the second round. I wouldn't be adverse to trading down and getting more picks to address other needs. No one really knows how the draft will unfold. There are always major surprises with selections and trades.That's the nature of the draft. You have to be flexbile and have your options ready when your draft turn comes up.

Did anyone really know how good Russell Wilson was going to be when he was selected in the third round? My point is that there are good prospects in this year's draft. You have to be open minded and not be afraid to make a mistake. If it doesn't work out then next year try again. If that doesn't work out then the following year try again. Sitting on your hands until you are in position to take the dream prospect is a foolish way to conduct business.

Did anyone really know how good Russell Wilson was going to be when he was selected in the third round? My point is that there are good prospects in this year's draft. You have to be open minded and not be afraid to make a mistake. If it doesn't work out then next year try again. If that doesn't work out then the following year try again. Sitting on your hands until you are in position to take the dream prospect is a foolish way to conduct business.

May we please, please, please have a moratorium on using Russell Wilson as an example of a great QB you can get in the third round? It was a totally unique set of circumstances that will very, very likely not be duplicated for a generation, if ever.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

May we please, please, please have a moratorium on using Russell Wilson as an example of a great QB you can get in the third round? It was a totally unique set of circumstances that will very, very likely not be duplicated for a generation, if ever.

im not sure if its better or worse than the old "brady was a 6th" arguments.

Arizona not there? Doesn't matter, Raiders are taking Geno anyways

I don't believe they will. They still have Palmer, and Pryor who they used a supplemental pick to grab. AND they have huge holes that need to be filled with BPA's who will be there for them

them wanting Geno is a smoke screen IMO

Some quotes about Geno on his workout;

"Smith showed lots of balance and great accuracy on the move, while hiting targets 25 yards plus down the field"

"his downfield touch and accuracy was impressive. Lots of zip on the ball and balance throughout his compact release"

sorry on my phone, can 't link to the article

If you are so irritated with the Russell Wilson example then consider that Kaepernick was taken in the second round and has proved to be an exciting player.

If you are so irritated with the Russell Wilson example then consider that Kaepernick was taken in the second round and has proved to be an exciting player.

He's a much, much better example. He had all kinds of question marks on him coming out of college. The problem is, one out of 20-30 of these 2nd and 3rd round picks becomes Colin Kapernick, iMO (because I think he has a chance to be very, very good but hasn't proven it yet over a couple seasons). Very few of them even become Andy Dalton, and I don't personally think Dalton is all that good although others do.

Only if they truly feel like he's a guy who can be a high-quality NFL QB for 10+ years.

Otherwise, just go with "best player available" philosophy. There are just too many roster holes right now and only 6 picks in the draft.

Great Pro day so the Faiders, Browns and Cards could all take him. If Marrone etal. Feel this is the guy, Call Jacksonville and just do the deal. At least you freaking tried.

itd cost you next years first and id guess at the very least a 3rd this year i assume.

and if he pans out as a franchise qb he would be worth every bit of it. itd be a bold move. i like geno, but im no expert.

itd cost you next years first and id guess at the very least a 3rd this year i assume.

and if he pans out as a franchise qb he would be worth every bit of it. itd be a bold move. i like geno, but im no expert.

At some point you have to just pull the trigger. We are well under .500 each year WITH all of our first round picks. Why not sacrifice one to see if you can move up and get a guy who can lead the franchise is how I see it.

Call the Jags, make the offer, pick the kid and move on.

Only if they truly feel like he's a guy who can be a high-quality NFL QB for 10+ years.

Otherwise, just go with "best player available" philosophy. There are just too many roster holes right now and only 6 picks in the draft.

BPA and passing on a QB has us 13 years out of the playoffs and well under .500 each year. Nix just said on his recorded call you can do BPA when the QB is in place, We don't have a QB.

I say screw it, make the offer to the jags.

At some point you have to just pull the trigger. We are well under .500 each year WITH all of our first round picks. Why not sacrifice one to see if you can move up and get a guy who can lead the franchise is how I see it.

Call the Jags, make the offer, pick the kid and move on.

Like what the Redskins did.

I think people worry that Geno isn't RGIII, in terms of talent.