Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be out of your mind. First of all Geno Smith is not rated that high to be the #3 pick in the draft. Secondly, the Bills need all of the draft picks that they can get as they have a roster devoid of players, not even starters anymore and, Thirdly, Geno Smith is not the answer and is no better than any of the other QB's in this draft. Landry Jones outplayed him, and has better carrer stats. Glad you aren't making decisions on draft day.....

ding ding ding...........we have a Landry Jones > Geno sighting.

People keep saying next years QB's are vastly superior to this years...Can anybody tell me who exactly looks can't miss not named Bridgewater? Manziel? I've read that a lot of scouts say his arm talent is mediocre and wonder if he'll be able to get away with the running around he does in the NFL. He's not exactly built to take a pounding. Who else? Logan Thomas? Lots of tools but was very mediocre this year. AJ McCarron? Is he a no brainer franchise passer? I dont know. I just don't know if nexts years QB class *right now* looks head and shoulders above this one.

You must be out of your mind. First of all Geno Smith is not rated that high to be the #3 pick in the draft. Secondly, the Bills need all of the draft picks that they can get as they have a roster devoid of players, not even starters anymore and, Thirdly, Geno Smith is not the answer and is no better than any of the other QB's in this draft. Landry Jones outplayed him, and has better carrer stats. Glad you aren't making decisions on draft day.....

Better career stats? Considering Landry Jones has 1 more season starting, sure..he has more YDS and TD's.

Geno has a higher career comp %, Geno has a MUCH better TD/INT ratio, and higher QB ratings (whatever that's worth). Landry Jones is an INT machine, for college standards.

1. Marrone didn't come to the NFL to go "full on tank mode"

2. Who the heck knows if Manziel will even declare next year or what injuries there will be in college. What if Clowney blows out his knee? We don't know - 1,000 factors in one year to consider.

3. What if we finish 6-10 again? Then what? Do we trade up THEN? Or do we continue "full on tank mode"

4. Do the players know we're "full on tank mode"? Just curious.

+1. There is no season you should think of full on tank mode in November much less March. Play to win, build a foundation, but work on getting to the playoffs this year.

This roster is more talented than you seem to think, and a good QB and WR plus some solid but not star additions at LB and OG and we are quickly a very good team. The key piece of that is obviously a good QB. I don't know that I go all Ditka on this draft, but anybody I think is a good chance of being a very good NFL QB I happily take at #8, and anybody I really like I seriously consider moving up to get if needed (although weighing the price, since in recent years most move ups are overpriced).

As for who will be available next year, I remember all the Brady Quinn and Jimmy Claussen excitement once upon a time...

I watched Smiths interview and he had no fire in him. Can you see him getting on our one receiver if he screws up? Don't think so. Stevie would eat him up. Was only kidding about were outa here. Still learning OH CANADA thou.

How much fire did Steve McNair have? How much fire does Joe Flacco have? Jesus.

Are people just making up reasons to not like Geno Smith now?

They've been working on it all year.

"I don't get a good vibe."

"He doesn't have leadership skills."

"He doesn't have nunchuck skills."

"He reminds me of Jamarcus Russell."

"He reminds me of other black WVU QBs."

All these arguments have in common is that none of them are really based on anything tangible or useful. The game tape tells me he is a hell of a QB with a great arm and a nose for the open receiver. The tape tells me his team had a sh--show defense that cost his team games -- games that if they had won, would have improved his stock. That can be to the Bills' advantage here if it forces him to fall to #8.

I don't think he's a can't miss, but he is the best this draft has to offer and if they have the opportunity, they have to take him.

Nassib played defense? Cool story bro.

We're still very short of LBs, and I never got tired of announcers saying every single game that Jim Kelly was recruited by Paterno to play LB. Nope, it never got old.

I'm just saying from his perspective does he really view Geno much higher than the rest of the pack, especially after game planning and beating him 3 times in a row??

I doubt it. Do you think if Steve Spurrier got the Colts HC job he wouldn't have drafted Peyton Manning because he found ways to beat him in college?

I'm just saying from his perspective does he really view Geno much higher than the rest of the pack, especially after game planning and beating him 3 times in a row??

I'm just saying from his perspective that Marrone probably looked to win a team game in all phases of the game. That included neutralizing Smith's best attributes, sure. But it also involved beating a defense that was easily dominated and capitalizing on mistakes. Nassib clearly had a better game in the 2011 matchup but it doesn't make him a better QB. Marrone might in fact think that he has identified correctable flaws in Smith's game, after game-planning for him 3 times. Who knows? But I just find that your argument really doesn't wash. It's a team game.

I doubt it. Do you think if Steve Spurrier got the Colts HC job he wouldn't have drafted Peyton Manning because he found ways to beat him in college?

Big difference between Manning and Geno... Manning was a no brainer #1...

Manning didn't lose to the powerhouse Syracuse 3 straight times.