Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geno won't go until 7 at the earliest.

I think Oakland is the key. If they pass on him at #3, I think he'll be there at 8. The Cards do need some QB help, but with their flurry of QB moves over the last 2 days and news that they like Barkley more than Smith I think they focus more on the lines and snag a developmental QB in the 2nd-3rd rounds. Maybe they keep their fingers crossed that Barkley is there at the top of round 2.

Almost every QB prospect ever drafted has holes in their game that need to be either corrected or coached up. Luck and RGIII aside, there are no can't miss prospects at the position. Geno's the best guy this year, so I'm all for going to get him because I also don't think he will be there at 8.

Also wanted to post this article from today:

http://www.optimumscouting.com/scout-s-notes/articles/2013-nfl-draft-geno-smith-atop-quarterback-rankings-hoping-to-follow-in-matt-ryan-s-footsteps.html

RGIII wasn't exactly a can't miss. There were several questions about his experience and the scheme he played in. In 2010, RGIII was a nobody to about 85% of the population.

That being said, his stock was definitely higher than Genos is currently due to RGIII explosion in 2011 winning the heisman

Not too keen on Smith but what do I know. I tend to rely more on what I read than I see. I can see good and bad throws but I think opinions from others on throwing mechnics, footwork, velocity, maturity, intelligence, and leadership matter at the QB position as much as what I can see. So as I read throw the Scouts Inc profiles on ESPN Insider, evey QB has things I like and some I don't like. For Smith, this comment for me against him "Still makes too many questionable reads/decisions." I've said here over and over, gotta have a QB with brains and good decision making because the physical isn't the entire package. I'd bet Losman has similar comments about his decision-making but his physical tools were good.

Here's a comment from another QB often discussed here... "Does not appear to be an ideal fit for NFL team in a city with frequent high winds and bad weather."

After reading, and watching a bit, the guy I like the best (meaning has the least warts I think) is Tyler Wilson.

But it seems the crop is average so we're getting a guy with warts, no question, which sucks.

one thing i cant stand is people questions his accuracy. once i hear that i cant take much else seriously. dude was almost a 70% comp guy with really good down field accuracy.

not to mention his 7-1 td/int ratio. i dont care if he doesnt have jamarcus russel's arm strength either. he has more than enough to put the ball in really small windows. i stopped listening to the tlking head about this guy. my eyes tell me he is really good

Just something I've noticed over the years, but the Buffalo Bills often tip their hand at who they are interested in (via free agency or the draft) with articles or opinion pieces on their official website. Almost like they are trying to get the fans pumped up over one person or another. I remember seeing this a lot with free agency with certain players getting mentioned and hyped up on BB.com only to visit a few days later and sign.

All over BB.com right now?

Geno Smith.

In fact, this is the first time I can remember BB.com actually posting a full article about how they are going to meet with a player in the draft a full week before it even happens. All of this could be nothing of course but I just get this feeling that Geno is the guy the Bills have targeted in this draft. Methinks by hell or high water, he's going to be a Bill.

What about Jim Kelly's romance with Tim Tebow?

By "immeasurables" do you mean Syracuse running for nearly 400yds that game?

Sorry, but bringing in a HC, OC, AND QB from the same college program would be an abomination. Syracuse isn't bama

Killin' it, my friend.

By "immeasurables" do you mean Syracuse running for nearly 400yds that game?

Sorry, but bringing in a HC, OC, AND QB from the same college program would be an abomination. Syracuse isn't bama

Exactly. The intangeables and immeasyureables. The ability to set the defense up, bait them into believing you're going to pass and "wham" gash them with the run. Very Bradyesque... much like whe the pays erupted against the bills in the third quarter of the game in buffalo. Bills defense thinking pass but brady read them and gashed them with the same run play over and over.

Nassib's a baller... Russell Wilson's a baller... Brady's a baller... Nassib is plug n play... understand's the terminology, the reads, the game. So what if Syracuse aint bama. Neither is delaware (flacco) or nevada (kaepernik) but somehow "baller" make it to the big show.

Trust me.... you'll warm up to Nassib.

we might have to. warm up that is.

Thats okay.

Geno smith trade up/

naw thanks.

at eight i have to take him but not much before

I think the trading up to #6 scenario is OK for certainty but I agree, this is not a player you mortgage the rest of the draft for.

Better career stats? Considering Landry Jones has 1 more season starting, sure..he has more YDS and TD's.

Geno has a higher career comp %, Geno has a MUCH better TD/INT ratio, and higher QB ratings (whatever that's worth). Landry Jones is an INT machine, for college standards.

Exactly. Better career stats and he gets no credit. I'm not saying that Jones is the answer, but Smith shows no appreciable difference in the stats and it is ???? whether he is really that much better than any of the other QB prospects. Time will tell but I hope the Bills don't waste a first round pick on him

Manuel - Size, speed, he's smart, he can avoid getting tackled and extend plays, a better than average arm, great personality. I see him having a Steve McNair type of franchise QB career.

Scott - The more I watch his videos, the more he reminds me of Drew Brees. Great arm and release of the football. Ball comes out and fast. Scott's feet are fast as well, he beat Russell Wilson's cone drill times! He may need a year of seasoning, but he's a fighter. Dude almost got knocked out in the USC game, had a concussion, threw up, and still lead his team to a come from behind comeback win. Seems as if this kid is being overlooked by everybody except NFL scouts and personnel. I predict he won't get out of the second round.

I think both these guys are not easily shaken, won't be intimidated at the next level, and have a better than decent chance of paying off for whoever drafts them.

Matt Scott, I don't care for... Poor field vision, forces too many plays... May turn into something, but bears no resemblance to Russell Wilson IMO... I think E.J. Manuel is much closer to what we need... For my money, I prefer either him or Tyler Wilson.

Tyler Wilson and Cobi Hamilton really LIT IT UP at Ark... Wouldn't mind those two as a combo package..

Edited by #34fan

Matt Scott, I don't care for... Poor field vision, forces too many plays... May turn into something, but bears no resemblance to Russell Wilson IMO... I think E.J. Manuel is much closer to what we need... For my money, I prefer either him or Tyler Wilson.

Tyler Wilson and Cobi Hamilton really LIT IT UP at Ark... Wouldn't mind those two as a combo package..

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/382642/tyler-wilson He had 24 and 21 td passes in college. I hardly call that lighting it up. Wilson left me wanting more. I'm very underwhelmed by him.

Maybe its just me but I do not want a QB at 8 unless its Geno Smith.

I would rather draft a WR and take a QB in round 2 like Nassib or Glennon or Barkley even though Barkley will probably be gone.

Or even them trading back into the bottom of the first to take a QB.

CBF

I don't get this logic. All the Bills do is settle for QBs. If you think a guy is a franchise QB, why do you risk missing on him because Kiper doesn't have him rated that high? How many teams are kicking themselves about Kaepernick or Russell Wilson because they weren't rated high enough to draft in the 1st round?

The Bills would be extremely lucky to get Smith. He has everything you want in a top QB prospect. He has flaws but most QBs coming into the NFL do. And for people using the Cuse point against him, Peyton went 0-4 against Florida.

http://espn.go.com/c...42/tyler-wilson He had 24 and 21 td passes in college. I hardly call that lighting it up. Wilson left me wanting more. I'm very underwhelmed by him.

I don't get this logic. All the Bills do is settle for QBs. If you think a guy is a franchise QB, why do you risk missing on him because Kiper doesn't have him rated that high? How many teams are kicking themselves about Kaepernick or Russell Wilson because they weren't rated high enough to draft in the 1st round?

The Bills would be extremely lucky to get Smith. He has everything you want in a top QB prospect. He has flaws but most QBs coming into the NFL do. And for people using the Cuse point against him, Peyton went 0-4 against Florida.

I'm all for the Bills drafting Smith at 8.

I'm saying if he is gone I would rather draft an impact player that can step in from day one and contribute.

CBF

Exactly. The intangeables and immeasyureables. The ability to set the defense up, bait them into believing you're going to pass and "wham" gash them with the run. Very Bradyesque... much like whe the pays erupted against the bills in the third quarter of the game in buffalo. Bills defense thinking pass but brady read them and gashed them with the same run play over and over.

Nassib's a baller... Russell Wilson's a baller... Brady's a baller... Nassib is plug n play... understand's the terminology, the reads, the game. So what if Syracuse aint bama. Neither is delaware (flacco) or nevada (kaepernik) but somehow "baller" make it to the big show.

Trust me.... you'll warm up to Nassib.

Aaaaaaaa, so Nassib's intagibles is what led to Cuse running for 300 yards on WVU noted piss-poor defense?

I disagree and count me as a Nassib doubter..........but your post does make me smile with the Brady/Wilson/Kaep he just does it argument......makes him sound like he has a Peyton Manning super smooth play action to him.

Im kinda sold a bit by the Trooth here a lil, just in case we do draft this guy. Geno is still 10x better though IMHO.

And do what? 3 years of Nix draft picks and we are still a 5 win type team. Its past time to just move up and get a guy at QB. Every year fans are screaming don't do it and every year we pass and every year we suck.

Its past time to pull the trigger.

You can't be serious. Spiller was clearly BPA. Gilmore was BPA, hell even Dareus was BPA.

I'm sorry you misunderstood "throughout the years". Maybin? McKelvin? Whitner? McCargo?

I know a few English majors who offer some on the side tutoring.