Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

If I sat down with Smith and truly believed he was the QB to finally take this team to the next level, yes I would but you need to be sure. Like I said, I know he has the skills but it takes more than that to make it as a pro.

But at some point, you need to stop settling for QBs or hoping that next year's draft will be the year to draft one. Go big or go home and if you don't get the right guy, admit your mistake and draft another guy.

A mistake on Smith (assuming they draft up) will really hurt for a few years since they would be losing future picks and chances to draft other top QBs in the following draft. A miss on another guy at 8 or in the 2nd round won't hurt you much since you keep all of your picks and that QB will probably have similar upside to Smith anyway..

If he fell to the 8th I would def pick him but I don't see that happening unfortunately..

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mistake on Smith (assuming they draft up) will really hurt for a few years since they would be losing future picks and chances to draft other top QBs in the following draft. A miss on another guy at 8 or in the 2nd round won't hurt you much since you keep all of your picks and that QB will probably have similar upside to Smith anyway..

If he fell to the 8th I would def pick him but I don't see that happening unfortunately..

I agree with this. If they trade a future 1 to move up that negates the opportunity to draft a better QB if he doesn't pan out. Today's CBA allows teams to draft franchise QBs in successive years if they have to. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if Jax drafted a QB at 2.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Playing it safe has gotten us nowhere. I'd give up picks in a heartbeat if it means we get the thing we've been missing for a decade and become competitive.

A great QB makes everyone else look good.

Edited by Bangarang

Not necessarily. First and foremost it depends on what it costs to move up. If it can be done for our 2013 #8, #41, and our 2014 2nd round pick, then it's not that bad. And if he does bust, we can easily pick another QB in 2015.

Dont worry about the QB class of 2015, by this time next year, everyone here will be saying "We should wait until next year to draft a QB" just like they have for the last 5 years!

There is nothing, NOTHING, more important than the QB position. Especially for the Bills.

Like Bangarang just said, playing it safe for the last 3 (or 13!) years has gotten us no where. Go get THE guy.

I agree but would you say that Geno Smith is "great"?

CBF

It sucks that 20/20 hindsight isn't readily available so no one knows at this point. Aaron rodgers went #24. I'd say he's great but he went have went #1 overall if people knew he'd be this great at the time.

It sucks that 20/20 hindsight isn't readily available so no one knows at this point. Aaron rodgers went #24. I'd say he's great but he went have went #1 overall if people knew he'd be this great at the time.

Good point but the Geno detractors will be slamming you with "You're comparing Geno Smith to Aaron Rodgers? LMFAO!"

Seriously though, there is a comparison to be made. And that is when I compare their college careers, Geno Smith is a better QB at this stage than Rodgers was at the time.

GO BILLS!!!

Not necessarily. First and foremost it depends on what it costs to move up. If it can be done for our 2013 #8, #41, and our 2014 2nd round pick, then it's not that bad. And if he does bust, we can easily pick another QB in 2015.

Dont worry about the QB class of 2015, by this time next year, everyone here will be saying "We should wait until next year to draft a QB" just like they have for the last 5 years!

There is nothing, NOTHING, more important than the QB position. Especially for the Bills.

Like Bangarang just said, playing it safe for the last 3 (or 13!) years has gotten us no where. Go get THE guy.

Not sure where you are getting the draft picks in a trade situation from. For the skins to move from 6 to 2.. (that was only 4 spots).. they gave up 2 future 1st round picks, plus a 2nd, and their swapped #6 pick... that is a TON!!

Now the Bills would have to move up even further from 8 to probably 2 maybe 3....

Would you give up all of that for a guy that isn't as good a prospect as RGIII? And yes I understand they need a QB but for a organization that has been shy to draft any QB-regardless of round you really think they mortgage their entire future on Geno?

Good point but the Geno detractors will be slamming you with "You're comparing Geno Smith to Aaron Rodgers? LMFAO!"

Seriously though, there is a comparison to be made. And that is when I compare their college careers, Geno Smith is a better QB at this stage than Rodgers was at the time.

GO BILLS!!!

And honestly, it wasn't even close. http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerQB.asp?id=3339

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/488025/geno-smith

Are u out of your mind, we need more than a QB to build our team. Oakland just gave away a boat load of picks to Cincinnati and look where they are. Marrone owned West Virginia and Smith everytime. We need a linebacker and then a QB 2nd round.

this..

Does anyone care that he has the speed but isnt a running QB?

CBF

Not in the least. In fact it's a good thing to have to coach a player to take off now and then vs. having to coach a player to keep his eyes down field, stay in the pocket, and look for a play to be made. Nice to know he has the ability to run if needed, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Not sure where you are getting the draft picks in a trade situation from. For the skins to move from 6 to 2.. (that was only 4 spots).. they gave up 2 future 1st round picks, plus a 2nd, and their swapped #6 pick... that is a TON!!

Now the Bills would have to move up even further from 8 to probably 2 maybe 3....

Would you give up all of that for a guy that isn't as good a prospect as RGIII? And yes I understand they need a QB but for a organization that has been shy to draft any QB-regardless of round you really think they mortgage their entire future on Geno?

Different years, different drafts, different teams, completely different situations.

There has been a lot of chatter that the Chiefs could be willing to move out of that #1 spot for cheap. There isn't a clear cut guy the NEED to get at #1, and they have addressed most of their needs in FA. They could effectively move back to #8 and get the same or similar player (OT for example).

They gave up their 2013 2nd (#34) and a conditional 2014 pick for Alex Smith. We could offer our #8, #41 and next years 2nd, and they would then have Alex Smith for free. They might be interested. So no mortgaging the future.

I would NOT be willing to make the same deal the Redskins did. Im a huge proponent of doing what it takes to get a QB, but feel that they way overpaid. Regardless of the player.

Not in the least. In fact it's a good thing to have to coach a player to take off now and then vs. having to coach a player to keep his eyes down field, stay in the pocket, and look for a play to be made. Nice to know he has the ability to run if needed, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Very good point

CBF

Different years, different drafts, different teams, completely different situations.

There has been a lot of chatter that the Chiefs could be willing to move out of that #1 spot for cheap. There isn't a clear cut guy the NEED to get at #1, and they have addressed most of their needs in FA. They could effectively move back to #8 and get the same or similar player (OT for example).

They gave up their 2013 2nd (#34) and a conditional 2014 pick for Alex Smith. We could offer our #8, #41 and next years 2nd, and they would then have Alex Smith for free. They might be interested. So no mortgaging the future.

I would NOT be willing to make the same deal the Redskins did. Im a huge proponent of doing what it takes to get a QB, but feel that they way overpaid. Regardless of the player.

That doesn't matter. Already having Alex Smith doesn't make a difference in what draft picks will be demanded. The Rams already had a QB in Bradford but still came away with all of those picks... plus the Bills would be moving much further up in the first round (8 picks vs 4...)

It cracks me up. Because the MEDIA says these guys aren't worth trading up for then we don't? !@#$ the media. Kiper, Mayock don't know jack if they did they would be making it hand over fist working for an NFL Franchise.

Look if our front office thinks Geno Smith is the next stud QB, then you call Jacksonville and you do the damn trade. at some point we have to stop being wimps and pull the damn trigger. My fear is Nix wont' do that and will SETTLE for someone he thinks we can just get by with (see Fitz II) in the 2nd round or late first. Then all we will hear from him is 'we were shocked he was still there, The guy we wanted the entire time and didn't have to sacrifice other picks to get him' blah blah blah.

That doesn't matter. Already having Alex Smith doesn't make a difference in what draft picks will be demanded. The Rams already had a QB in Bradford but still came away with all of those picks... plus the Bills would be moving much further up in the first round (8 picks vs 4...)

Who cares? And what if Geno IS the next great franchise QB? with todays NFL you trade the first rounders and you take him. Time to quit being scared and stupid about it

Who cares? And what if Geno IS the next great franchise QB? with todays NFL you trade the first rounders and you take him. Time to quit being scared and stupid about it

Being stupid about it would be trading up for Geno Smith...