Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

There are others knocking Smith for accuracy and ball placement, too.

Everyone has an opinion, they can say whatever they want. My opinion (that he is accurate and puts the ball in good spots) is based on watching him consistently thread it into places where only his guys can get it, and on his completion percentage. After watching this kid for years, I'd need Cossell or other to show me a lot of specific plays to back up their stance.

"Climbing the draft board" doesn't necessarily mean it is "real". We don't know where NFL scouts had each of these guys after last season. "Climbing the board" is a bit of a media phenomenon. As the media hear bits and pieces from the teams about players, the media adjusts their "evaluations".

Very true, good point. But it does happen. Like Gabbert, Nassib was barely on anyone's radar through most of the season. Now if, as you say, the media gets bits of info from teams, then their changing opinions can reflect the Pro's changing opinions. Evidenced by Gabbert going top 10 after Luck stayed in school.

Nassib is on his way to becoming the official Blaine Gabbert of this draft since Greg Cosell did his best "Mike Mayock makes a foolish endorsement" impersonation.

One thing this Geno Smith bashing does is bring the possibility of him being available for the Bills at #8. The teams ahead of them seem to want to find a reason to not draft him and wait till next year's draft for their QB of the future. It will take some guts for the Jags, Raiders, Eagles, Browns or Cardinals to draft Smith so high without any enthusiasm and positive "buzz" like there was for Luck and RGIII. Geno Smith may be there at #8 after all is said and done Bills fans.

Someone will trade up to get him within the Top 5. Bank it! :thumbsup:

If the Bills want to get a QB, they'll have to do what it takes to get their guy. To get THE guy. Otherwise, it's just same ol Bills.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but the story says Friday, and that the private workout occurred on campus. whomever speculated where the workout was going to take place was wrong.

and my story reads that this is the second time they've seen Geno work out after attending his pro day last week.

am i still missing something here?

jw

People can try to understand the other's point of confusion or they can not try.

It's always a choice.

People can try to understand the other's point of confusion or they can not try.

It's always a choice.

i guess i'm the one now confused.

or are you suggesting i've chosen to be confused?

jw

and has this now become some kind of zen-like query thread?

Edited by john wawrow

He might be good or maybe not but I hope we don't take this kid. It will just always remind of my uncle Eugene , who we called Geno. One day I was just walking along and I heard an ambulance screaming down Main Street. I didn't give it a thought. It was Geno. He died on October 2, 1981.

RIP Geno.

:cry:

This sounds reasonable, but what happens if the guys the Bills wanted is taken between pick #8 and whatever pick we acquire?

This scenario only works if there are 2-3 QBs they like equally, and I just don't think that is the case.

In my opinion, if there is a QB the Bills are interested in and feel can be our QB of the future, they have to take him at 8 and not play games. Finding a QB is a million times more important to the franchise than any other potential position that they could select.

Don't misinterpret my post. If they have a strong conviction on a particular qb then go ahead and take the plunge. But if they believe that they can still get their qb at a lower position then they should consider the trade down maneuver. There is a possibility that they could favor a qb who is more of a developmental player and who in the long run will be a better player, such as Glennon or Bray. If that is the case then it would be worth the risk of getting more picks with the trade deal.

A couple of years ago the 49ers were intrigued with Kaepernick. It didn't make sense for them to take him in the first round so they ended up trading up in the second round to select him. My point is that using some flexibility and judgment is often more beneficial than beign rigid and less calculating.

If the Bills want to get a QB, they'll have to do what it takes to get their guy. To get THE guy. Otherwise, it's just same ol Bills.

I wouldn't bank on that. There are concerns out there about Geno Smith's personality, ability to handle pressure and lack of quick decision making. You add that to there being about 5 high quality QBs coming out next year that look like it will be 2012 all over again and there's the very real possibility of Geno Smith becoming a Bill at #8. I see no team trading ahead of the Bills for Smith so it all comes down to whether these teams ahead of us are comfortable enough to draft a QB that high with some question marks.

I'm not really high on Smith, but I'd still be happy if we did end up getting him. However I'd be just as happy if we got Manuel or Scott. I have this gut feeling that Scott is this year's Russell Wilson. The guy is very competitive and he has all of the tools you want except for lack of experience and bulk. It will take him a little bit longer than Wilson, but he seems like he'll easily become at least a poor man's Russell Wilson or Drew Brees with the possibility of becoming just as good as them.

Edited by 1billsfan

NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell has concerns about Smith’s ability to convert his success from college to the pros.

“I think there’s a term I’ve heard which I like, and it’s slow eyes,” Cosell said on the NFL Network. “One thing about Geno Smith, and you see it consistently, is that when throws are there that are clearly defined and the ball needs to come out on time with anticipation, I think he has a tendency to be late with those throws. I think in the NFL where the coverage is tighter, the defense is quicker, you have to be an anticipation thrower.”

“With Geno Smith, I see flashes of everything you want in a top-10 quarterback,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock told reporters last month at the NFL Scouting Combine. “I see a lot more inconsistency though than I see those flashes. So he, to me, there is a real risk-reward scenario there.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130323/SPORTS/130329591/two-billls=drive-1004

Certainly a reason to give pause.

http://www.buffalone...llls=drive-1004

Certainly a reason to give pause.

Greg Cosell coming out and saying such things really helps the Bills chances of getting Smith at #8. Of course the Panthers laughed off the Newton concerns (as they should have) so it isn't any sure thing that Smith drops, but Newton did have the "off the charts" dual threat that made them very comfortable. Smith doesn't have that on his resume. So there's the real possibility out there he drops and he's there at #8.

It gives me pause, but these experts have many misses when it comes to first round QBs. Cosell stating that Ryan Nassib is the #1 QB in this class totally takes me back to me laughing at Mike Mayock's evaluation of Blaine Gabbert. I actually hope the Jets end up drafting him as their QB of the future.

I wouldn't bank on that. There are concerns out there about Geno Smith's personality, ability to handle pressure and lack of quick decision making. You add that to there being about 5 high quality QBs coming out next year that look like it will be 2012 all over again and there's the very real possibility of Geno Smith becoming a Bill at #8. I see no team trading ahead of the Bills for Smith so it all comes down to whether these teams ahead of us are comfortable enough to draft a QB that high with some question marks.

I'm not really high on Smith, but I'd still be happy if we did end up getting him. However I'd be just as happy if we got Manuel or Scott. I have this gut feeling that Scott is this year's Russell Wilson. The guy is very competitive and he has all of the tools you want except for lack of experience and bulk. It will take him a little bit longer than Wilson, but he seems like he'll easily become at least a poor man's Russell Wilson or Drew Brees with the possibility of becoming just as good as them.

Bad personality, bad under pressure, poor decision maker ? Who makes this stuff up ?

I've seen the exact opposite on all 3 accounts.

Too many buying into all the media fluff......the eye test and stats are off the charts IMO.

I have to respectfully disagree with the comparison between Russell Wilson and Matt Scott. Russell Wilson was a 4 year starter who played very well every year, with an exceptional senior year at a new school where he won the starting job, completed 73% of his passes for 33 TDs and 4 INTs. The only reason he lasted to the 3rd round was that he is 5" shorter than the "prototypical" NFL QB.

Matt Scott was a 1 year starter who completed 60% of his passes for 27 TDs and 14 INTs his senior year in the traditionally weak-defensed PAC 10.

Career Stats:

Russell Wilson: 907-1489 11,720 yards 60.9% 109 TDs 30 INTs

Matt Scott: 415-676 4921 yards 61.4% 33 TDs 19 INTs

I am not saying that Matt Scott doesn't have at least some shot to become a good NFL player, but I have to wonder about a QB who could only win the starting job in college for 1 year. The NFL is a lot different from college and only the truly special college players even get a sniff of the NFL. Not saying it is impossible for him to buck the odds, but it strikes me as unlikely that a guy who could only start 1 year in college could forge a long-term starting position in the NFL.

Bad personality, bad under pressure, poor decision maker ? Who makes this stuff up ?

I've seen the exact opposite on all 3 accounts.

Too many buying into all the media fluff......the eye test and stats are off the charts IMO.

Where did I say "bad" personality? There's nothing "good" or "bad" about it, just that he may not have the strongest of personalities for the very high pressure job of being drafted as a top 10 NFL QB. Cam Newton handled it, Vince Young did not. Both had questionable personalities for the high pressure job.

I don't necessarily buy into it, but his personality is somewhat of a concern. There is not one Luck or RGIII in this draft. Every single one of the QBs in this class has questions and concerns that we as fans will have to deal with until the QB they pick starts playing for real. There's no need to get upset though. I actually like Geno Smith as a person and think he's a nice guy, but you have to have a thick skin and a certain amount of toughness to handle being a top 10 drafted QB, there's no way around it.

Everyone has an opinion, they can say whatever they want. My opinion (that he is accurate and puts the ball in good spots) is based on watching him consistently thread it into places where only his guys can get it, and on his completion percentage. After watching this kid for years, I'd need Cossell or other to show me a lot of specific plays to back up their stance.

Very true, good point. But it does happen. Like Gabbert, Nassib was barely on anyone's radar through most of the season. Now if, as you say, the media gets bits of info from teams, then their changing opinions can reflect the Pro's changing opinions. Evidenced by Gabbert going top 10 after Luck stayed in school.

If the Jets are looking for a QB, and they very well might be, they will not allow the guy they want fall to Buffalo. This could very well be Smith, or not. The fact is no one knows how the Bills or any other team have these guys ranked.

I have to respectfully disagree with the comparison between Russell Wilson and Matt Scott. Russell Wilson was a 4 year starter who played very well every year, with an exceptional senior year at a new school where he won the starting job, completed 73% of his passes for 33 TDs and 4 INTs. The only reason he lasted to the 3rd round was that he is 5" shorter than the "prototypical" NFL QB.

Matt Scott was a 1 year starter who completed 60% of his passes for 27 TDs and 14 INTs his senior year in the traditionally weak-defensed PAC 10.

Career Stats:

Russell Wilson: 907-1489 11,720 yards 60.9% 109 TDs 30 INTs

Matt Scott: 415-676 4921 yards 61.4% 33 TDs 19 INTs

I am not saying that Matt Scott doesn't have at least some shot to become a good NFL player, but I have to wonder about a QB who could only win the starting job in college for 1 year. The NFL is a lot different from college and only the truly special college players even get a sniff of the NFL. Not saying it is impossible for him to buck the odds, but it strikes me as unlikely that a guy who could only start 1 year in college could forge a long-term starting position in the NFL.

I'm not comparing their college careers. I think Matt Scott's floor is a poor man's Russell Wilson or Drew Brees.

Wilson was no "diamond in the rough" his issue was height and height alone. Scott is a true "diamond in the rough" type of player. The NFL has a lot of franchise/Superbowl winning QBs who came from all sorts of places. For instance, Kurt Warner was in the Arena Football League! I see Scott as a potential great QB on an unconventional path. His pre-Rodriquez Arizona coach much preferred the classic "drop back" style of Foles so Scott decided to redshirt that year. That was smart of him. Here's an article by a Chiefs fan/blogger that is well written and explains Scott's talented "gamer"appeal...

http://chiefconcerns.com/matt-scott-kansas-citys-qb-of-the-future/

"I’m convinced this kid has somethin’. His game isn’t perfect but he finds ways to win. He’s tough…gritty. Both are qualities you look for in a QB. When things breakdown, he improvises. With Scott, the play is never over."

Some of these other QBs seem to have had things come very easy to them in life. I kind of like the guy who was an underdog and had to scrap and claw and who showed a lot of heart going against top college programs like Stanford and USC and in the final minutes of that bowl game.

Interesting read on Matt Scott. I wouldn't gamble a pick before the 3rd or 4th on him, but he seems to deserve to be drafted. I don't think that you can reasonably pin all your hopes on him being the answer to your team's QB needs, but taking a shot and hoping for the best with him makes some sense.

Just my opinion....

Where did I say "bad" personality? There's nothing "good" or "bad" about it, just that he may not have the strongest of personalities for the very high pressure job of being drafted as a top 10 NFL QB. Cam Newton handled it, Vince Young did not. Both had questionable personalities for the high pressure job.

And actually the jury is still out on Cam.

The Panthers and Newton had a very bad year in 2012 and Cam came under a lot of criticism for bad body language and pouting on the sidelines during losses.

And actually the jury is still out on Cam.

The Panthers and Newton had a very bad year in 2012 and Cam came under a lot of criticism for bad body language and pouting on the sidelines during losses.

No question the 1st half of 2012 was bad for Cam...He was my Fantasy QB so I speak from some experience here... :wallbash:

But in his defense Cam came on big time in the 2nd half and, at least I believe, answered some of his critics big-time...

And one footnote...I won my last 9 FF games and took the league... :thumbsup:

No question the 1st half of 2012 was bad for Cam...He was my Fantasy QB so I speak from some experience here... :wallbash:

But in his defense Cam came on big time in the 2nd half and, at least I believe, answered some of his critics big-time...

And one footnote...I won my last 9 FF games and took the league... :thumbsup:

I can tell you this, and anyone can feel free to cross check this, but for all the flack he gets, Cam Newton has had the best 2 seasons ever, statistically, to start a career.

I can tell you this, and anyone can feel free to cross check this, but for all the flack he gets, Cam Newton has had the best 2 seasons ever, statistically, to start a career.

Yep especially if you leave out the statistic of wins and Losses and the intangible of leadership ability which ranks near the bottom

such varied opinions of him make trading up,at the least, seem foolish. some guys from some scouting/draft publication were on wgr sunday morning and had him the 6th ranked QB, and 103rd best playeroverall. they could be wrong of course, but they are not alone... does not seem like the guy you give up 2 first rounders for. he just hasn't shown enough to be that sure about him.