Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look I'm not saying drafting him is stupid at all.. I'm saying trading up for the # of necessary picks is stupid.

Neither you nor I know what the # of necessary picks is though. If it's the least bit affordable, they have to do it. Like all things, the truth is probably in the middle, so if the cost is somewhere between my guess and your guess, I'd do it. Only thing that is off the table would be picks in the 2015 draft. We might need those to trade up for a new QB again! ;)

The following attachment is a comparison of Geno Smith to Nassib by Greg Cossell of NFL network. I have a very high regard for Cossell who does a lot of video work evaluating players. I was very surprised that he rated Nassib a better prospect than Smith.

More and more I'm leaning toward trading down and then getting the qb at a lower spot in the first round.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000152809/Cosell-rates-Nassib-higher-than-Geno-Smith

The following attachment is a comparison of Geno Smith to Nassib by Greg Cossell of NFL network. I have a very high regard for Cossell who does a lot of video work evaluating players. I was very surprised that he rated Nassib a better prospect than Smith.

More and more I'm leaning toward trading down and then getting the qb at a lower spot in the first round.

http://www.nfl.com/v...than-Geno-Smith

Part of me thinks Nassib is getting the Gabbert treatment. I dont like guys that climb draft boards in March. Shouldve been on top in December or January when performance still counted.

Edit: just watched that Cossell video. Knocking Geno on Anticipation and Accuracy/Ball Placement?!? Not sure who Cossell has been watching. Cant agree with that at all. Smith is probably the most accurate prospect in the draft.

Edited by DrDareustein

This sounds reasonable, but what happens if the guys the Bills wanted is taken between pick #8 and whatever pick we acquire?

This scenario only works if there are 2-3 QBs they like equally, and I just don't think that is the case.

In my opinion, if there is a QB the Bills are interested in and feel can be our QB of the future, they have to take him at 8 and not play games. Finding a QB is a million times more important to the franchise than any other potential position that they could select.

This is complete and utter nonsense. No QB, at ANY level, is taught to read "half the field." It defies every tenet of offensive football and the reasons should be obvious to anyone that's more than a casual fan of the game.

Wow. Probably 80% of college spread offenses only require their QB to read half the field. Pass plays are designed so the QB has a primary and secondary, and the emergency bailout RB. No long read progression, it's simply 1-2-bail. This has been one of the biggest knocks on college spread QBs over the past 5 years. It's one thing to argue in favor of a player you like, it's another to spout complete BS. Here's some suggested reading - Evaluating Quarterbacks.

not sure where the confusion. lead says Friday, and 2nd graf has workout took place in the morning. ... am i missing something?

jw

Because his Pro Day was last Thursday so it was entirely plausible (at least to me) that the Bills had dinner with him that night and had a private workout the following day.

Also because it was speculated that Smith would visit Orchard Park for his private workout but apparently the private workout took place in Morgantown, one week after the Bills made a previous visit there.

Part of me thinks Nassib is getting the Gabbert treatment. I dont like guys that climb draft boards in March. Shouldve been on top in December or January when performance still counted.

I the same feeling that Nassib is getting fluffed by the Talking Heads just as Gabbert did.

I knew something about how Gabbert played so could have an opinion. I have never seen Nassib outside various film clips

Edit: just watched that Cossell video. Knocking Geno on Anticipation and Accuracy/Ball Placement?!? Not sure who Cossell has been watching. Cant agree with that at all. Smith is probably the most accurate prospect in the draft.

There are others knocking Smith for accuracy and ball placement, too.

"Climbing the draft board" doesn't necessarily mean it is "real". We don't know where NFL scouts had each of these guys after last season. "Climbing the board" is a bit of a media phenomenon. As the media hear bits and pieces from the teams about players, the media adjusts their "evaluations".

Because his Pro Day was last Thursday so it was entirely plausible (at least to me) that the Bills had dinner with him that night and had a private workout the following day.

Also because it was speculated that Smith would visit Orchard Park for his private workout but apparently the private workout took place in Morgantown, one week after the Bills made a previous visit there.

but the story says Friday, and that the private workout occurred on campus. whomever speculated where the workout was going to take place was wrong.

and my story reads that this is the second time they've seen Geno work out after attending his pro day last week.

am i still missing something here?

jw

I the same feeling that Nassib is getting fluffed by the Talking Heads just as Gabbert did.

I knew something about how Gabbert played so could have an opinion. I have never seen Nassib outside various film clips

Nassib is on his way to becoming the official Blaine Gabbert of this draft since Greg Cosell did his best "Mike Mayock makes a foolish endorsement" impersonation.

One thing this Geno Smith bashing does is bring the possibility of him being available for the Bills at #8. The teams ahead of them seem to want to find a reason to not draft him and wait till next year's draft for their QB of the future. It will take some guts for the Jags, Raiders, Eagles, Browns or Cardinals to draft Smith so high without any enthusiasm and positive "buzz" like there was for Luck and RGIII. Geno Smith may be there at #8 after all is said and done Bills fans.

Edited by 1billsfan