Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

Geno Smith would not be a mistake, that's laughable, and I expect one or 2 teams in front of the Bills to make moves on QB's like Alex Smith and possibly Foles. SO the scenario of a QB dropping to #8 is still a possibilty.

teams liek Arizona are equaly desperate for OL. Can't put a rookie behind an OL that can't block that's a disaster waiting to happen

No GM's or draft experts believe a QB is worthy of a first pick, not even top 3..! Yet people on here want us to trade up and give up the house doing it for a QB thats not even worth being there..! That my friend is laughable..We need alot more than a QB that just happens to be the best this year, the last few years this guy would be a last first, second round pick.. Don't trade anything to get this guy, get a QB in the second round, there are lots of second round QB's available with strong arms.. Get a LB or WR in the first round..at#8.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No GM's or draft experts believe a QB is worthy of a first pick, not even top 3..! Yet people on here want us to trade up and give up the house doing it for a QB thats not even worth being there..! That my friend is laughable..We need alot more than a QB that just happens to be the best this year, the last few years this guy would be a last first, second round pick.. Don't trade anything to get this guy, get a QB in the second round, there are lots of second round QB's available with strong arms.. Get a LB or WR in the first round..at#8.

You're flat out wrong my friend. Where did Tannehill, Ponder, Locker, Gabbert go? Geno is by far much better than all of those. If you don't think so, you just don't watch enough college football.

Actually, we dont know what any GM is really thinking. You only know what the "experts" think.

The same experts who have a ton of time to fill between now and the draft, and who will change their minds 100 times. The same experts that have zero accountability when they are wrong (which is more often than not). The same experts which have been proven to be less accurate in their guesses than even some posters on this board. And if they were really "experts", they'd have a job with an NFL team.

Im putting this out here now. At least 1 QB will go top 10, and at least 2-3 will go in the 1st.

Actually, we dont know what any GM is really thinking. You only know what the "experts" think.

The same experts who have a ton of time to fill between now and the draft, and who will change their minds 100 times. The same experts that have zero accountability when they are wrong (which is more often than not). The same experts which have been proven to be less accurate in their guesses than even some posters on this board. And if they were really "experts", they'd have a job with an NFL team.

Im putting this out here now. At least 1 QB will go top 10, and at least 2-3 will go in the 1st.

Exactly.

We should create a paypal acct and put a simple wager among the TSW community: O/U on Geno's draft position at 10.5. I'd happily bet $500 that Geno goes top 10.

Exactly.

We should create a paypal acct and put a simple wager among the TSW community: O/U on Geno's draft position at 10.5. I'd happily bet $500 that Geno goes top 10.

Sounds like a sucker bet to me. I would be absolutely shocked if Geno Smith made it past 10, especially considering that even if the Chiefs, Cardinals and Eagles let him to drop to us, and then WE pass, I doubt the Jets would.

So what?

The only quarterback I want in this draft is Geno Smith. He has a unique skill set that you could build an offense around especially if you are innovative and adapt schemes to players strengths. Add his dynamic skillset to CJ Spiller in the backfield and you could have a dangerous offense.

What people on here seem to underestimate as well are leadership characteristics in a QB. I believe Geno Smith possesses great leadership qualities. He has a great positive attitude. He can handle the media with class, dignity and confidence. He also has a slight "edge" to him that guys would follow.

I think all the other QBs will basically be like Tannehills, Ponders; just mediocre guys who will never be a franchise quarterback.

The problem is I feel strongly the Eagles will take him at #4. They have Vick to be the veteran to groom Smith for one year or maybe even just a half year. Chip Kelly's offense largely depends on a mobile quarterback and I think they will take Geno Smith as their QB of the future.

I either hope we get lucky and they don't take him or Buddy Nix has the sack to trade up in front of them.

I think it is interesting that some of the struggles Geno Smith had in college that people are bringing up came against Syracuse. Obviously, that is where Doug Marrone is from. I think that could play an interesting role in how we draft. Clearly Marrone has drawn up game plans on how to stop him and has been somewhat effective. Does this decrease the chances that the Bills will draft him?

In athletics and really in any profession, mastering your craft largely has to do with how much you can strengthen your weaknesses. If Geno Smith has struggled against Marrone's schemes, then it is likely Marrone has identified some of his weaknesses and used his defense to expose them. Does Marrone believe that the weaknesses Geno Smith possesses are improvable?

I have seen a few posts about Geno Smith being a first read only QB. I think there is some credibility to this, however, there are some arguments against it as well. WV runs a lot of 5 wide sets with the same number of routes (5). In order to find the open man you must read the defense and know where the best place to throw is. However in watching film, I do tend to see him throw to the first guy he looks to. It is a bit of a concern. I have also seen a couple plays where he has looked off safeties; very positive sign.

I read up on him a bit and he was a gifted student all through his academic life (from elementary on). I think a huge characteristic that determines if a QB will be successful in the NFL is neural genetics. Do they have the ability to process tons of information in a short period of time and make the right decision based on that information? Some of that can be coached and some of that is inherent. This is where the Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys acccel. Does Geno Smith have this quality? I don't know.

I would like to bring up another point that I think has merit. It is likely shied away from because it is a touchy subject. However, I called myself "the voice of truth" so I am going to try to live up to it, whether controversial or not.

Here it goes: Geno Smith is black. Amongst black players (which makes up the majority of all NFL teams), I believe there is sentiment that in the past black quarterbacks have been overlooked. As a result, black players are extremely willing to rally around a black QB. This is especially true when it comes to a guy like Geno Smith. He carries himself well. He has confidence. He has pocket passing skills and has high intelligence. The quarterback of a team must be a leader and Geno Smith is that in my opinion. Erase the fact that he is black and I love him as the future Bills QB. Add that he is black and I think he becomes a better leader that guys will fight for. Let it be known, I am a white man.

You're flat out wrong my friend. Where did Tannehill, Ponder, Locker, Gabbert go? Geno is by far much better than all of those. If you don't think so, you just don't watch enough college football.

You know Geno is going to turn out better than them..? You should be a GM if you know how kids are going to do at the next level..! Listen I'm not arguing he is not a good QB, I was arguing the point that someone said we should trade up with Oakland and give them our first next year and multiple pick this year because Geno is "that good", he's not "that good" that you would trade all that.. And yes, i would have thought many of the QB's on your list were better than Geno..Geno is not that great, he is at the top of a weak draft position..Would I take him at #8, yes, ofcourse, but to my point again, I'm not going to trade up to get him. I want a QB this year as bad as you all do, but I'm not giving next years first to get one this year... Only someone out of their mind would do that..

WOW, your really putting it out there man, 1 QB in the top 10 and 2-3 in the first round..lol.. Thats not putting anything out there, thats agreeing with the experts that it is a very weak draft class for QB's..

Hmm.. the eagles just signed Dennis Dixon (was at Oregon with Chip Kelly as OC). They now have 4 QBs on the roster (vick, foles, edwards, dixon). I could definitely see them cutting edwards, but they aren't going to carry 4 QBs during the season.

They should do a reality show where the other three school Trent Edwards in how to be a Black QB.

(Yes, I know Nick Foles is not black).

Hmm.. the eagles just signed Dennis Dixon (was at Oregon with Chip Kelly as OC). They now have 4 QBs on the roster (vick, foles, edwards, dixon). I could definitely see them cutting edwards, but they aren't going to carry 4 QBs during the season.

4 Qbs huh! something tells me the Eagles aren't drafting a QB with their 1st pick.

I think it is interesting that some of the struggles Geno Smith had in college that people are bringing up came against Syracuse. Obviously, that is where Doug Marrone is from. I think that could play an interesting role in how we draft. Clearly Marrone has drawn up game plans on how to stop him and has been somewhat effective. Does this decrease the chances that the Bills will draft him?

In athletics and really in any profession, mastering your craft largely has to do with how much you can strengthen your weaknesses. If Geno Smith has struggled against Marrone's schemes, then it is likely Marrone has identified some of his weaknesses and used his defense to expose them. Does Marrone believe that the weaknesses Geno Smith possesses are improvable?

I have seen a few posts about Geno Smith being a first read only QB. I think there is some credibility to this, however, there are some arguments against it as well. WV runs a lot of 5 wide sets with the same number of routes (5). In order to find the open man you must read the defense and know where the best place to throw is. However in watching film, I do tend to see him throw to the first guy he looks to. It is a bit of a concern. I have also seen a couple plays where he has looked off safeties; very positive sign.

I read up on him a bit and he was a gifted student all through his academic life (from elementary on). I think a huge characteristic that determines if a QB will be successful in the NFL is neural genetics. Do they have the ability to process tons of information in a short period of time and make the right decision based on that information? Some of that can be coached and some of that is inherent. This is where the Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys acccel. Does Geno Smith have this quality? I don't know.

I would like to bring up another point that I think has merit. It is likely shied away from because it is a touchy subject. However, I called myself "the voice of truth" so I am going to try to live up to it, whether controversial or not.

Here it goes: Geno Smith is black. Amongst black players (which makes up the majority of all NFL teams), I believe there is sentiment that in the past black quarterbacks have been overlooked. As a result, black players are extremely willing to rally around a black QB. This is especially true when it comes to a guy like Geno Smith. He carries himself well. He has confidence. He has pocket passing skills and has high intelligence. The quarterback of a team must be a leader and Geno Smith is that in my opinion. Erase the fact that he is black and I love him as the future Bills QB. Add that he is black and I think he becomes a better leader that guys will fight for. Let it be known, I am a white man.

Good post. You make a number of good points; especially about the importance of neural genetics. An effective, culturally neutral way of measuring someone's neural genetics is through reaction time (RT) testing. Faster reaction time correlates to higher I.Q.

I haven't watched college football in years, so everything I know about these guys is based on reading other people's commentary. Reviews on Geno Smith have been very mixed--his supporters seem to think he could be the next Big Deal; whereas his detractors are concerned he might not make it as a starter at all. I've seen the Bills get burned again and again by empty hype; and that's made me a bit jaded. When a guy like Mike Mayock raises concerns about Geno Smith's accuracy or ability to see his second or third read, I find it deeply concerning.

WOW, your really putting it out there man, 1 QB in the top 10 and 2-3 in the first round..lol.. Thats not putting anything out there, thats agreeing with the experts that it is a very weak draft class for QB's..

Only 3 QBs went in the 1st round last year, in a draft that had Top QB prospects. In 2011, only 4 QBs went in the 1st even though there was a run on QBs early.

Im saying that this class is as good as any. "Experts" saying it's a weaker class than usual are incorrect, as are the fans that believe them. People talk like we're dealing with the class of 2009 but it's not nearly that bad.

There is good QB talent to be had if we pull the trigger. Furthermore, Draft Strategies have evolved due to 2 main reasons. The first being the rookie cap. The second being the NFL becoming a QB-centric league. When you add those together, you get a much bigger reason to "reach" on a QB early. Hence why we've seen "4th round guys" go in the 3rd, "3rd round guys" go in the 2nd, etc.

I believe smart teams will draft a QB early (first 3 rounds) every 2-3 years. Even if you have a franchise QB. You can't have too many. And if you do have too many, you can always trade one away.

Right now the Bills barely have a serviceable QB. Identify the talent (be it Smith, Barkley, Wilson, etc) and then go get him. Buddy already said he learned his lesson on not waiting until the next round.

Only 3 QBs went in the 1st round last year, in a draft that had Top QB prospects. In 2011, only 4 QBs went in the 1st even though there was a run on QBs early.

Im saying that this class is as good as any. "Experts" saying it's a weaker class than usual are incorrect, as are the fans that believe them. People talk like we're dealing with the class of 2009 but it's not nearly that bad.

There is good QB talent to be had if we pull the trigger. Furthermore, Draft Strategies have evolved due to 2 main reasons. The first being the rookie cap. The second being the NFL becoming a QB-centric league. When you add those together, you get a much bigger reason to "reach" on a QB early. Hence why we've seen "4th round guys" go in the 3rd, "3rd round guys" go in the 2nd, etc.

I believe smart teams will draft a QB early (first 3 rounds) every 2-3 years. Even if you have a franchise QB. You can't have too many. And if you do have too many, you can always trade one away.

Right now the Bills barely have a serviceable QB. Identify the talent (be it Smith, Barkley, Wilson, etc) and then go get him. Buddy already said he learned his lesson on not waiting until the next round.

The talent available at #1 isn't luck or cam, but picks 3 thru 90 should have every bit the talent. If posters dont think we can't get a prospect as good as locker, gabbert, ponder, tannehill, wheeden etc.... at 8 then I'm not sure we're watching the same games on Saturday. I think there's easily more than one guy in this draft if rate higher than I had any of them coming out.

The talent available at #1 isn't luck or cam, but picks 3 thru 90 should have every bit the talent. If posters dont think we can't get a prospect as good as locker, gabbert, ponder, tannehill, wheeden etc.... at 8 then I'm not sure we're watching the same games on Saturday. I think there's easily more than one guy in this draft if rate higher than I had any of them coming out.

I think the question is whether Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Tannehill or Wheeden are any good. Gabbert is struggling badly after 2 years. Locker has not burned up the track and the Browns are not giving Wheeden a vote of confidence by naming him their starter going into his 2nd year after picking him in the first round last year. Ponder has not done anything beyond cleanup after AP wins the game for the Vikes.

I am not saying that none of those guys will become good starting QBs, but I don't think any of them have proven that it was wise to take them early in round 1 either.

I think the question is whether Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Tannehill or Wheeden are any good. Gabbert is struggling badly after 2 years. Locker has not burned up the track and the Browns are not giving Wheeden a vote of confidence by naming him their starter going into his 2nd year after picking him in the first round last year. Ponder has not done anything beyond cleanup after AP wins the game for the Vikes.

I am not saying that none of those guys will become good starting QBs, but I don't think any of them have proven that it was wise to take them early in round 1 either.

Right but we have pick 8, not 1. When comparing talent on the board for our pick to what we'd be looking at other years I feel like its just as good and potentially better. Call it a weak qb class all you want, but at our pick - ie the only place that matters- I don't think that's true when you compare it to what was actually available at that area the last few years.

4 Qbs huh! something tells me the Eagles aren't drafting a QB with their 1st pick.

I agree. Since this topic was started, the rumors of Dixon to Philly have come true and I don't see the Eagles drafting a QB in the first round.

I am not buying your argument

I seriously doubt you believe any of the post draft garbage, nobody does

Nice try though

Are you disagreeing with all of us or just some of us?

Furthermore, Draft Strategies have evolved due to 2 main reasons. The first being the rookie cap. The second being the NFL becoming a QB-centric league. When you add those together, you get a much bigger reason to "reach" on a QB early. Hence why we've seen "4th round guys" go in the 3rd, "3rd round guys" go in the 2nd, etc.

The core of your post is excellent and I think some people here are still not taking this into account.

Considering the Bills QB situation, in light of recent history and the trend towards overdrafting QBs, I think the Bills would be justified in taking a QB at #8.

I just hope it works out if they do.