UPDATE: LB Karlos Dansby good match for new Bills defense scheme?

I was joking. I thought that was obvious. ;)

I was pointing out how consistently good he has been.

Sorry, didnt pick up on that. Still many believe what you were being sarcastic about in regards to him, other FA's not signed first week or draft picks that slide lower than lame mock drafts predict. So that post is for them as well :thumbsup:

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be wishful thinking, but at the end of last season it seemed like the Bills were almost completely lacking at the LB position. To me, Barnett was lousy and his play was significantly worse than the year before and on the downside. Sheppard was terrible. Bradham I liked a lot for a few number of games and I love his future but if he was our best LB we are in serious, serious trouble.

Then we hired Pettine. Then we signed Lawson, who to me is a cog but a versatile decent one. Then we seemed to be evolving into more of a 3-4 than was at first thought (although I still think it will be perhaps 33% of the snaps). Which made us think of Mario as more of a rush 3-4 OLB. Now we may sign Dansby.

Bradham and no one sounds hideous.

Mario - Dansby - Bradham - Lawson sounds pretty damn good to me. A weakness could be a strength.

In 4-3s, Lawson - Dansby - Bradham sounds decent to me, but 10x better than when we started.

Mario - Dansby - Bradham - Lawson sounds pretty damn good to me. A weakness could be a strength.

In 4-3s, Lawson - Dansby - Bradham sounds decent to me, but 10x better than when we started.

That would be a MAJOR upgrade over last year and I think you are right, it would be a new strength on this team. Our DL is crazy deep and will allow Mario to play OLB in a lot of 3-4 situations. Mario Dansby, Lawson, and Bradham would be one of the fastest and most athletic LB cores and would have some attitude. Bradham can lay big hits, Mario is a OL nightmare coming off the edge, Lawson is good in pass coverage and has range. And Dansby is a sure tackler with good instincts who is tough as nails and has lots of swagger.

Edited by Alphadawg7

This may be wishful thinking, but at the end of last season it seemed like the Bills were almost completely lacking at the LB position. To me, Barnett was lousy and his play was significantly worse than the year before and on the downside. Sheppard was terrible. Bradham I liked a lot for a few number of games and I love his future but if he was our best LB we are in serious, serious trouble.

Then we hired Pettine. Then we signed Lawson, who to me is a cog but a versatile decent one. Then we seemed to be evolving into more of a 3-4 than was at first thought (although I still think it will be perhaps 33% of the snaps). Which made us think of Mario as more of a rush 3-4 OLB. Now we may sign Dansby.

If you watched closely, you'd have noticed that Barnett was FAR AND AWAY our BEST linebacker last season. That's how bad we were. Bradham looked absulutely lost most of the time and tried to make up for that with sheer hustle, which translated to lack of discipline and overpursuit more often than not. And he got NO HELP from Moore, which isn't insignificant.

And yet on a team where Barnett was our best LB, Wannstedt was supposed to "scheme" a solution to mask their deficiencies. ONE linebacker, sure. But not an entire position group.

Couldn't resist.

GO BILLS!!!

If you watched closely, you'd have noticed that Barnett was FAR AND AWAY our BEST linebacker last season. That's how bad we were. Bradham looked absulutely lost most of the time and tried to make up for that with sheer hustle, which translated to lack of discipline and overpursuit more often than not. And he got NO HELP from Moore, which isn't insignificant.

And yet on a team where Barnett was our best LB, Wannstedt was supposed to "scheme" a solution to mask their deficiencies. ONE linebacker, sure. But not an entire position group.

Couldn't resist.

GO BILLS!!!

I did pay close attention. Part of Wanny's problem was not only playing Moore but starting him. Moore was pitiful. He should have been playing Carrington and Merriman more when he was there. I thought Bradham was better than you did. I don't think Wanny used Barnett or Bradham's ability to blitz well which could have helped. And yes, when we are getting slaughtered with a simplistic, outdated, clearly inefficient scheme, Wanny does have to scheme his way to a better defense. That is what coaching is all about, even if you have to take bigger gambles.

I am not at all a "we need to blitz more" guy like a lot of fans. I think that fans just ignore the times it complete fails and overstate the amount of times it works.

BUT, when you are getting abused on the ground and through the air because of both scheme and lack of talent, and it clearly was a combination of both (if injury/tragedy/luck can be included in lack of talent) then you HAVE to try to take either the run away or the pass away. You have to try to do one or the other. And he sat back and let it all happen. Repeatedly.

They got him waiting in the lobby while they are watching Mel kiper's take on the QBS.

I kid, I kid. But really, not having news of him leaving is pretty good so far. He might be getting checked out by doctors or talking contract. if interest wasn't there, he probably would have left.

Why has he been out there this long?

It's probably the same reason Dwight Freeney, Brandon Moore and John Abraham (and others) are still out there.

They're high-priced veterans who believe that they are worth more than the market is offering.

To get a guy like Dansby right now would almost make me perform cartwheels.

"Perform" cartwheels?

Why not just execute them and spare us making a big show of it?

BTW, that reminds me. I wonder if Kas has an update from the Sundowner.

agreed. bradham is a solid 4th lb, but a terrible top guy. we have some good players on the roster, but we need to ask them to fill roles they will succeed at.

couple this lineup with Anderson as an OLB that can get after the passer too, and Shep as depth off the bench... suddenly it doesnt look so bad. i know hes not a long term fix but we need some guys to bridge the gap til we can find more long term solutions.

agreed. bradham is a solid 4th lb, but a terrible top guy.

That might have been the case last year when as a rookie, he was miscast as a strongside linebacker.

But what is your view of Bradham's upside?

I think he could become an excellent linebacker and I'm expecting substantial improvement this year.

That might have been the case last year when as a rookie, he was miscast as a strongside linebacker.

I think he could become an excellent linebacker and I'm expecting substantial improvement this year.

I agree, Bradham has a lot of upside now. He came on strong last year too as the season wound down. He is a guy that was a major athletic specimen who could hit really hard and could fly around the field, but was still raw in terms of his all around abilities. He showed a lot of improvement last year and I think him, Dansby (hopefully we sign him today), and Lawson would be a nice core next year. Add in Mario while in a 3-4 front, and man, those 4 along with Kyle, Branch, and Dareus up front would be a unit with a lot of potential to be very exciting. He could learn a lot more too from Dansby and Lawson as Dansby is a great tackler and Lawson is really good in coverage. I think Bradham is going to be a guy that by seasons end we sit back and say made huge improvements this year and will be a starter for us. Just my 2 cents

essentially.... when you best linebacker is viewed as having "a lot of upside" thats a terrible situation. when you have 3 established vets, with the 4th being a young guy with a lot of upside thats a great situation.

i think he has a great chance to be a solid player in this league and by not dropping him in a totally dysfunctional LB unit where he cant trust the guys on either side of him his odds of achieving that go up a lot. when he can trust being between two guys like dansby and lawson he can really learn his assignments and how to play nfl linebacker. at the start of the offseason when he was penciled between moats and shepherd, i was much more cautious in my optimism. thats an additional reason that i really like the dansby idea - not just replacing sheps play, but putting bradham next to someone he can learn from.

Edited by NoSaint

essentially.... when you best linebacker is viewed as having "a lot of upside" thats a terrible situation. when you have 3 established vets, with the 4th being a young guy with a lot of upside thats a great situation.

i think he has a great chance to be a solid player in this league and by not dropping him in a totally dysfunctional LB unit where he cant trust the guys on either side of him his odds of achieving that go up a lot. when he can trust being between two guys like dansby and lawson he can really learn his assignments and how to play nfl linebacker. at the start of the offseason when he was penciled between moats and shepherd, i was much more cautious in my optimism. thats an additional reason that i really like the dansby idea - not just replacing sheps play, but putting bradham next to someone he can learn from.

I think you are lost in your analysis. You are a Bills fan. I'm a little confused why you think we operate like a real franchise. You're bar is set way too high.

I had hoped to have an update of sorts by this time. While at work i was leaving a tab up waiting for something anything , good.

Gotta admit i have hoped for this guy to consider us and we him.

so close.

Some one suggested that having two veteran linebackers alongside/in between/next to etc to Bradham would be a good thing.

I have to agree. Heck it might help Shepp along a bit too.

It's a smart move if we can pull it off.

Karlos is just too good a fit at this moment in time too pass up from where i stand for all the positive reasons already mentioned.

So it's almost dinner time.

Any reports ? i have barely f5'd all day

I had hoped to have an update of sorts by this time. While at work i was leaving a tab up waiting for something anything , good.

Gotta admit i have hoped for this guy to consider us and we him.

so close.

Some one suggested that having two veteran linebackers alongside/in between/next to etc to Bradham would be a good thing.

I have to agree. Heck it might help Shepp along a bit too.

It's a smart move if we can pull it off.

Karlos is just too good a fit at this moment in time too pass up from where i stand for all the positive reasons already mentioned.

So it's almost dinner time.

Any reports ? i have barely f5'd all day

per chris brown's twitter: @stanj62 Dansby visit is still ongoing at this hour (6 pm)

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

per chris brown's twitter: @stanj62 Dansby visit is still ongoing at this hour (6 pm)

OK, I'll take that as very good news! I feel if he leaves without a contract and visits the G-Men, he'll sign there.

C'mon, Buddy, Jimbo, Mario, everybody! Get him inked!

We haven't heard anything for a while. Did Karlos come and leave without a contract? Did we not make an offer? Or offer too little? Does he just not like Buffalo?

As stated elsewhere, Chris Brown apparently tweeted that as of 6pm the visit was still going on.

I know of a bison farm in scottsville southish of Rochester.

I am at the ready and on call.

Also i have some moose sausage in the freezer. should i start thawing it ?

Go Bills

Where in Scottsville is the Bison Farm, 3rd and 12 ? I'd like to take a little motorcycle ride down there and see if I can a few shots of those guys. Thanks !

ps....I'm hoping beyond hope they get a deal done with Karlos. Man, that'd be fabulous.

jb

Where in Scottsville is the Bison Farm, 3rd and 12 ? I'd like to take a little motorcycle ride down there and see if I can a few shots of those guys. Thanks !

ps....I'm hoping beyond hope they get a deal done with Karlos. Man, that'd be fabulous.

jb

i will pm you for sure.

Me too. I am worried i am over hyped but by gum i think we need this guy