Do you say pop, soda or coke?

bbb

If I'm referring to any carbonated soft drink, then I use "pop". If I'm referring to ice cream put in pop, then it's a soda. If it's a cola soft drink, then it CAN be referred to as a coke, much like slip-joint pliers can be referred to as Channelocks or hot tubs Jacuzzis.

My first summer at home after spending my freshman year in Philly, I had converted to "soda". We were in a grocery store (remember Quality Markets?) getting a couple of 2-liters of pop to mix with whatever rotgot whiskey we had gotten our mitts on. One of my buddies showed up at the checkout line and said, "Hopper, we got some pop for us and this for you." He was proudly displaying a box of Arm & Hammer baking soda. Touché.

Looks way off here. West Virginia they call it coke or Soda. VA soda, NC almost always soda unless you hit the mountains then it could be Coke, the coast is Pepsi.

My family in NY call it soda, my friends and family back in Ohio call it pop.

I call it pop. I've found only older folks call it Coke now-a-days.

Looks way off here. West Virginia they call it coke or Soda. VA soda, NC almost always soda unless you hit the mountains then it could be Coke, the coast is Pepsi.

Nobody really gives a crap what you hillbilies call it. They just put the colors in there to fill out the map.

Have to say soda so these hicks here in California get it, but as soon as I land in Buffalo, it's pop.

I can live with the soda thing, but the people there saying tennis shoes makes no sense.

I have a friend from WV (Weirton) and he says "pop." His wife, from Steubenville, OH, also says "pop." Their refusal to call it "soda," is why I consider them !@#$s and I will never speak to them again.

First of all, coke is either a drug or a brand of cola. If I ask for a coke, I don't want to be asked what kind (I'm looking at you, Dixie).

Second of all, soda. Got funny looks at school when I called it pop.

My brother has recently started calling it soda even though he's lived in Buffalo for his entire life (33 years). I have no clue why he does it, but he has always picked up the strangest speaking habits. When he was in high school he always talked like a Canadian. He always said he had no clue he was doing it, but I'm pretty sure he has always done these things for attention.

Me, I'm out in Boston and just got some crap from the fiancee when I said pop the other day. Usually I just refer to the drinks by their brand name, but it slipped just this once.

Pepsi

Coke! And I grew up in blue Pepsi country WNY!

:nana:

Actually, true story... My sister worked w/another lady from Georgia @ the Mayo Clinic in MN... My sister was going to the get liquid refreshment (called that so as not to expose my true colors... :D ). Her co-worker said: "Bring me back a Coke." So, my sister brought her back a Coke. The co-worker got all indignant when my sister returned back with an actual Coca-Cola! She wanted an Orange Crush! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I used to say "I'll have a Pop with Supper" while growing up in BLo. Now that I've lived in the southeast and now the Mid-Atlantic, I have been converted to "I'll have a soda with dinner". Kinda' weird.

I used to say "I'll have a Pop with Supper" while growing up in BLo. Now that I've lived in the southeast and now the Mid-Atlantic, I have been converted to "I'll have a soda with dinner". Kinda' weird.

That was never an option in the Chef Jim household when I was growing up.

BTW speaking of the Chef Jim household growing up what my mom called them which I don't think has been mentioned......soft drinks. As a matter of fact I use that when I'm referring to several different flavors brands. "We'll be serving, beer, wine and soft drinks."

Edited by Chef Jim

That was never an option in the Chef Jim household when I was growing up.

BTW speaking of the Chef Jim household growing up what my mom called them which I don't think has been mentioned......soft drinks. As a matter of fact I use that when I'm referring to several different flavors brands. "We'll be serving, beer, wine and soft drinks."

That falls under the "other" category on the map... Just like seltzer or tonic.