Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a joke or what? He interviews with the Browns and then says this?:

Reuben Frank@RoobCSN

Bill O'Brien to David Jones of Harrisburg Patriot News: "I'm not a one-and-done guy. I made a commitment to these players at Penn State ...

Retweeted by Ian Rapoport

That wasn't the complete tweet.

He added:

"The hypocrisy of leaving University Park after pleading with the majority of the roster to maintain their commitments to the school would garner too much public scorn and would be tantamount to character suicide. While those are the values espoused by Belichick, I simply can't leave the school at this time. Maybe next year."

Weird. Seems like more than 140 characters.

Wow - just read the story:

O'Brien acknowledged that PSU donor Terry Pegula, financier of the new Penn State hockey arena, has been a major ally in his efforts. Pegula was the first person who contacted O'Brien in late 2011 when he was eventually interviewed for the job.

Though O'Brien was not specific about it, high-level PSU sources have told me that Pegula donated a $1.3 million gift to be added to O'Brien's salary in the coming year that will bump his total compensation to $3.6 million and place him behind only Ohio State's Urban Meyer and Iowa's Kirk Ferentz as the third-highest-paid coach in the Big Ten.

Cool. I'm sure it doesn't matter, because Pegula could just donate 1.3 mil to the school and the school could just decide to renegotiate O'Brien's salary for a remarkably similar 1.3 million, but is that even legal under NCAA rules? For an alumnus to just pay a coach a million dollar bonus? I don't know either way.

Wow - just read the story:

O'Brien acknowledged that PSU donor Terry Pegula, financier of the new Penn State hockey arena, has been a major ally in his efforts. Pegula was the first person who contacted O'Brien in late 2011 when he was eventually interviewed for the job.

Though O'Brien was not specific about it, high-level PSU sources have told me that Pegula donated a $1.3 million gift to be added to O'Brien's salary in the coming year that will bump his total compensation to $3.6 million and place him behind only Ohio State's Urban Meyer and Iowa's Kirk Ferentz as the third-highest-paid coach in the Big Ten.

The previous paragraph to the above quote (in reference to "PSU donor Terry Pegula, financier of the new Penn State hockey arena, has been a major ally in his efforts" below:

This was a strategic mission of sorts by O'Brien. By having Linta throw his name open to NFL openings and having the agent field initial offers, he was able to gain additional leverage that allowed him to accomplish structural and personnel changes in the Penn State athletic department that will be forthcoming. O'Brien declined to be specific about those changes when asked but he did not deny those aims.

What personnel changes would Pegula be interested in influencing? This could be a major headache as a Sabres' fan--- or maybe nothing at all.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2013/01/bill_obrien_is_staying_at_penn.html

The previous paragraph to the above quote (in reference to "PSU donor Terry Pegula, financier of the new Penn State hockey arena, has been a major ally in his efforts" below:

This was a strategic mission of sorts by O'Brien. By having Linta throw his name open to NFL openings and having the agent field initial offers, he was able to gain additional leverage that allowed him to accomplish structural and personnel changes in the Penn State athletic department that will be forthcoming. O'Brien declined to be specific about those changes when asked but he did not deny those aims.

What personnel changes would Pegula be interested in influencing? This could be a major headache as a Sabres' fan--- or maybe nothing at all.

http://www.pennlive....ng_at_penn.html

Maybe I am missing something but doesn't that quote imply that O'Brien was asking for those changes and not Pegula?

Cool. I'm sure it doesn't matter, because Pegula could just donate 1.3 mil to the school and the school could just decide to renegotiate O'Brien's salary for a remarkably similar 1.3 million, but is that even legal under NCAA rules? For an alumnus to just pay a coach a million dollar bonus? I don't know either way.

The only thing I know for sure is that I remember when Bill Self was coach at Tulsa (hoops). The local business leaders all chipped in to give him a big raise. So, I guess it's legal.

The kicker to that story was that he signed the contract and then left for Illinois about two weeks later.

That wasn't the complete tweet.

He added:

"The hypocrisy of leaving University Park after pleading with the majority of the roster to maintain their commitments to the school would garner too much public scorn and would be tantamount to character suicide. While those are the values espoused by Belichick, I simply can't leave the school at this time. Maybe next year."

Weird. Seems like more than 140 characters.

:lol:

Too much ego for me. He will have less control in the nfl. Could be another college flop. Took Carroll 3 times to get it.

not really. carrol had bledsoe as a weight on his shoulders. wooden indians dont do much good for coaching careers

Sorry, there is NO WAY I want a guy as the next HC of the Bills, who has never coached a single minute at any level of the NFL game. Just dealing with the players, there is a huge difference with coaching 17-22 year olds, and primadonna 22-40 year olds. IMO...It would be a disaster.

I agree! Having said that, how does anyone "coach" a person with a $100 Mil. contract?

Shouldn't a donor devote his money to making PSU a better research/educational institution rather than a better football factory, which, by the way, has no connection to actual education and research (the institution's sole purpose)?

Maybe I am missing something but doesn't that quote imply that O'Brien was asking for those changes and not Pegula?

Yes, but if Pegula is O'Brien's "ally" in this effort, then it also implies he's in cahoots.

Honestly, I have no idea if/how/why it would/could/should be construed as negative. It just sounds odd I'm hoping it's not.

Yes, but if Pegula is O'Brien's "ally" in this effort, then it also implies he's in cahoots.

Honestly, I have no idea if/how/why it would/could/should be construed as negative. It just sounds odd I'm hoping it's not.

If it's true, i find it revolting. But then i despise what is going on in big time college sports pretty much across the board.

Shouldn't a donor devote his money to making PSU a better research/educational institution rather than a better football factory, which, by the way, has no connection to actual education and research (the institution's sole purpose)?

How much money from Penn State's football program over the years has gone to the University and not its sports programs? I'm not sure but I would imagine a bunch? ;)

I also imagine that their football program draws a helluva lot of national prominence and non-football playing students who them become successful alumns and donate to the University.

I don't know this, but I would imagine Pegula has donated more than this and the hockey arena to his beloved alma mater.

How much money from Penn State's football program over the years has gone to the University and not its sports programs? I'm not sure but I would imagine a bunch? ;)

I also imagine that their football program draws a helluva lot of national prominence and non-football playing students who them become successful alumns and donate to the University.

I don't know this, but I would imagine Pegula has donated more than this and the hockey arena to his beloved alma mater.

Big time college football has corrupted institutions beyond count, penn state most conspicuously. and among the universities with the biggest endowments, none save stanford are any good at football. And stanford sucked for decades and suffered no ill consequences on the money front.

Edited by dave mcbride

Big time college football has corrupted institutions beyond count, penn state most conspicuously. and among the universities with the biggest endowments, none save stanford are any good at football. And stanford sucked for decades and suffered no ill consequences on the money front.

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, they corrupted their own sports programs more than the Universities as a whole, and they bring a ton of money into schools for stuff other than sports. Student athletes also have better GPAs overall than non-athletic students. I'm not saying there is not huge corruption in major college sports, of course there is. But sports do a lot for a university's visibility and comaraderie and pocketbook. Overall, more good than bad IMO. And what is the alternative?

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, they corrupted their own sports programs more than the Universities as a whole, and they bring a ton of money into schools for stuff other than sports. Student athletes also have better GPAs overall than non-athletic students. I'm not saying there is not huge corruption in major college sports, of course there is. But sports do a lot for a university's visibility and comaraderie and pocketbook. Overall, more good than bad IMO. And what is the alternative?

I think more bad than good, but they're not going away. I have no problem with lower profile college sports like baseball etc because the competition from legit minor leagues menas that they can't become the soul sucking maws that sports like D-1 football and basketball are. And as for athletes having better gpas, that's sophistry. In d-1 men's college football and basketball that's certainly not the case. If you average in women's water polo and all the title ix stuff and all the d-3 stuff (where the vast majority of athletes reside), than sure. But that's not what we're talking about. In any event, i'd love to see real minor leagues destroy college football and basketball as money making enterprises for the university, but i have no illusions that this will happen.

Edited by dave mcbride

Evaluating, targeting and acquiring talent clearly has no place in the nfl.

The one thing I will say is that Pete Carroll seems to have done a great job in Seattle along with GM John Schneider.

I have a theory that one advantage that the college-to-NFL coaches have is a greater sense of college talent.

Harbaugh's also done a great job in his short time in SF.

The one thing I will say is that Pete Carroll seems to have done a great job in Seattle along with GM John Schneider.

I have a theory that one advantage that the college-to-NFL coaches have is a greater sense of college talent.

Or in the age of free agency and short careers... Having experience transitioning guys into a new system quickly and effectively designing systems that are flexible for rapidly changing talent?

Harbaugh was an NFL player - I have to believe that helps with the players.

Has Chip Kelly played at all - at any level?

Harbaugh was an NFL player - I have to believe that helps with the players.

Has Chip Kelly played at all - at any level?

Yes Harbaugh was a player. And what a player. "Captain Comeback."

I've nearly memorized Harbaugh's Curriculum Vitae after trying to drive the point home that Chip Kelly is not a comparable to Jim Harbaugh.

Harbaugh played 15 years in the NFL. He was a 4-year letterman at Michigan. An All-American.

As for Kelly all I know is that he did not play college football and that he never spent any time in the NFL as a player, as an assistant, as a waterboy.

The only other NFL coach that I'm aware who didn't play college football is current Steelers OC Tod(d) Haley.

The only NFL head coaches I'm aware that had zero NFL experience before being hired into the NFL are Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer, names brought to our attention by other posters.

I've nearly memorized Harbaugh's Curriculum Vitae after trying to drive the point home that Chip Kelly is not a comparable to Jim Harbaugh.

Harbaugh played 15 years in the NFL. He was a 4-year letterman at Michigan. An All-American.

As for Kelly all I know is that he did not play college football and that he never spent any time in the NFL as a player, as an assistant, as a waterboy.

The only other NFL coach that I'm aware who didn't play college football is current Steelers OC Tod(d) Haley.

The only NFL head coaches I'm aware that had zero NFL experience before being hired into the NFL are Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer, names brought to our attention by other posters.

Kelly never had ANY head coaching experience before he was hired as a HC, and I believe he is 46-7 in his coaching career.

Kelly never had ANY head coaching experience before he was hired as a HC, and I believe he is 46-7 in his coaching career.

I know Kelly but he had 18 years experience as a college assistant before becoming a college head coach.

Not a pro for Kelly but.... Spurrier? I think. Mike Riley? Lou holtz 1 year with the jets! Dennis Erickson.

Not totally unique on that matrix, but got a bad rep for a reason when it was popular a decade ago

Edited by NoSaint

Good piece of video, breaks down his scheme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9fWpnxyUcU&feature=youtu.be

Cool video. Thanks for posting it. I wonder though, if as hard to find and such a high value that NFL QBs have, do you really want him being a 2nd running back? Running QBs have a tendency to get injured in the NFL. Vick always is and RG3 has had his injury problems as well. Cam and Wilson have stayed healthy so far.

I know he says he would do what the players he has dictates. But that's exactly what Chan Gailey said when hired and then tried to shoe a horn in a spread 5 wide passing attack. Coaches like to say this but more often than not do what they've always done especially if it has worked at some point.

I liked the play where he had the RB out to the side and passed it out to him with a blocker out front. That will get totally sniffed out in the NFL just like a lot of Gailey's screens did in the 2nd half of the season.

Hopefully if we hire him he will be able to make adjustments to this stuff week to week. From watching the Ducks a lot I do know that he seems to make really good half time adjustments. Ducks are slow starters but pour it on in the 2nd half.

I now there are many threads about Chip Kelly but none have really gotten into How his Offense actually works and how it would work in the NFL. I feels this deserves a thread of it's own as the others are just hey he's great lets get him Vs he's not NFL no thanks.

three must-reads to share that give you a strong look inside Kelly's allure that you should start with.

Patriots no-huddle relies on power of one - The Boston Globe

Bill Belichick - considered the most innovative coach in the NFL - has picked Kelly's brain about his spread offense several times now. Those sessions have produced a tangible change in New England's offensive strategy: they run an absurd number of plays per game, as compared to other NFL teams. More specifically, the Pats have mimicked a Kelly wrinkle wherein the offense can discern formation, blocking scheme, play direction, routes for receivers, formation shifts, snap count and potential audibles with one spoken word.

Oregon Hones Prolific Offense During Frenetic Practices - NYTimes.com

Kelly's offense is his claim to fame, but the way he runs a practice is a close second. This article goes in-depth on the pacing and structure of Kelly's short, rep-intensive and music-oriented practices. There are obvious benefits - conditioning being the biggest one

Coach Chip Kelly Explains the Oregon Spread Offense – FishDuck.com

What better way to get to know Chip Kelly than to read a seven-page presentation on Oregon's running game that the coach gave at a clinic in 2009? Titled "The Zone Read Option Game," Kelly weaves his core coaching philosophies into technical breakdowns of his bread and butter calls versus various defensive looks. Reading papers like this is always fascinating; it's especially intriguing when it comes from the mind of a coach that big-name veterans are seeking out. This is the absolute must-read of the bunch."

http://www.buffaloru...s-buffalo-bills

Also;

"There's been a lot of speculation about the manner in which the offense Kelly uses at Oregon might translate into the NFL should he get a coaching job in Philadelphia or anywhere else, and Kelly addressed this in a news conference, per Les:

"Anything you do has to be personnel-driven," Kelly said, when asked a question about offensive adaptations flowing out of the college game into the NFL. "You've gotta be able to adapt to the personnel that you have. There's a lot of great offenses out there, but does it fit with the personnel you have? I think the key is being sure what you're doing is giving your players the chance to be successful."

http://espn.go.com/b...ting-an-offense

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

My concern about the Chip Kelly offense are described below. I'm not saying no to this system, but consider it before you buy in.

It is the 3 and out... When that offense fails to gain a first down, they only take 45 seconds (or less) off the game clock. Now look at our opponents next year, teams with quarterbacks like Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, and Tom Brady (2x). If the Chip Kelly offense is off the field the defense has to be on point and do it on short rest.

I remember watching a Bills game back in the K-gun days with Paul McGuire in the booth. The opponent's defense (I don't remember who it was, sorry) had our number. After multiple Bills 3 and outs, and a gassed defense they game quickly spiraled out of control.

Edited by judman