Who will be HC next year?

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides me and Jim Harbaugh, I'll go with his coordinators Greg Roman and Vic Fangio. Also wouldn't mind Mike Nolan and John Gruden.

Gruden would be ideal. He'd bring the passion and enthusiasm I'm not seeing from the current regime. I don't think guys would be moping around defeated on the sidelines with the game still in reach if he were the coach. And he'd be great to bring up a young QB. But I doubt he's coming down from that press box.

I think Andy Reid will end up getting fired from Philly and that's who I'd like to see.

I was thinking about him, but I don't think he's going anywhere. But it would be nice. The guy knows football.

Almost as good as yours eh?

I guess everyone is so used to the high levels of sarcasm in this forum, you can't take words at face value.

As long as RW is the owner, speculation on good choices for coach are a waste of time. He will make some ether-induced choice like how he chose Gailey after dreaming of doing the charleston with Betty Grable

Cowher because he had a great record in a very tough conference competing against pats and colts at their finest. He knows how to get the most out of players , use the talent he has, and sprinkle in just the right amount of razzle dazzle without over complicating it for his own players. He also brings a tough, winning attitude and jewelry on his finger that players will respect. I always listen to his halftime comments because he has such a great read on the flow of a game and can break it down to a one or two keys. One reason why he called such a solid game and seldom gave it away. Just great make up for a head coach. Get the impression he's versatile too, not tied to any one system or the dreaded "genius" label.

That said odds we get him are close to zero. None of the big names went into retirement to come out and coach for bills. Now if the team is moved to Niagara falls and becomes the cornerstone of the leagues internationalization plans , could be a different story.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'm fine with Chan, as long as they find a better QB.

This.

If, OTOH, Chan and Buddy are married to Fitz and can't accept that this guy physically just can't make the throws, then !@#$ it --- the baby goes out with the bath water.

I mean... the guy isn't willing to throw the ball more than 10 yards. On 2nd and 27 this week, he threw it behind the LOS on the next two passes. Is it a dead arm / Kelly Holcomb thing? Or is he just that erratic?

I hope the coach and FO can finally see what we have at QB... what they're paying $10M/year for!!!... and finally get the stones to DO something about quarterback in the draft and not blame it on our slot or whatever.

Try SOMETHING else because Fitz ain't it.

If Chan does that, he gets more time. If he remains adamant that he can make chicken salad out of chicken stevestojan... I won't be spending $ or time on this team next year. I mowed the lawn on Sunday. And I can find other stuff to do if they're not serious about trying to win and do more than beat the KCs and Clevelands of the league.

The OL is now good. Maybe invest more at another guard spot. But we've got a good line that a rookie QB won't die or get gunshy behind. Geni Smith, the kid from Miami-Ohio, whatever. Try something else. Try someone who can physically make ALL THE THROWS an NFL QB needs to make these days.

We can't compete with a lame duck.

What the fellas that say stick with Chan don't get is so many games the last 2 years have been winnable if not for the pass happy Fitz lover. Instead of more running the ball with his two top RB's Gailey prefers to have the backup QB throw. Right now I'd like to see what that O line looks like with TJ behind center. Talk about a lame duck, Gailey chose Fitz over a rookie for 3 years now. He doesn't know talent, assistants...just look at the defense!

Anyway, even tho RW isn't "comfortable" with Marty S. I would choose him over anyone else at this juncture. The Bills need a HC that knows not just the HCing job but the entire football operations side. Know who to draft, and can judge asses talent on the entire team, knows what assistants to hire.

The Bills are desperate for a HC that will build a power running game and strong defense, its the only way to win in Buffalo when the snow falls and that winter wind whips up in RW stadium.

What the fellas that say stick with Chan don't get is so many games the last 2 years have been winnable if not for the pass happy Fitz lover. Instead of more running the ball with his two top RB's Gailey prefers to have the backup QB throw. Right now I'd like to see what that O line looks like with TJ behind center. Talk about a lame duck, Gailey chose Fitz over a rookie for 3 years now. He doesn't know talent, assistants...just look at the defense!

Anyway, even tho RW isn't "comfortable" with Marty S. I would choose him over anyone else at this juncture. The Bills need a HC that knows not just the HCing job but the entire football operations side. Know who to draft, and can judge asses talent on the entire team, knows what assistants to hire.

The Bills are desperate for a HC that will build a power running game and strong defense, its the only way to win in Buffalo when the snow falls and that winter wind whips up in RW stadium.

You mean like when Kelly was the QB?

He has been pass happy, but with a good passer he should be fine. A big factor in keeping Gailey would be stability,the team needs that.

Edited by Geno Smith's Arm

#1- chan is going nowhere......he's good thru 2013.

#2- in order for a "big name" coach to come in, buddy would have to go also, as that "big name" coach would want "final" personnel decisions......thats not happening anytime soon.

#3- i would think that Doug Whaley will take over for Nix as GM when buddy hangs it up. In that scenario, your not getting a so called big name coach. candidates like Perry Fewell are more likely.

I'm fine with Chan, as long as they find a better QB.

I wonder if the people who feel this way could expand on why.

IMO part of the whole QB thing, is figuring out what you've got as a QB and using him appropriately. Exhibit A: #1 Draft Choice Alex Smith was crashing and burning when asked to carry the team on his arm. A change in offensive philosophy, and he found his feet. Now he's comfortable in the system and "loose", knowing if he has a bad throwing day Harbaugh will adjust and limit his role, so he's really able to let 'er rip. Throwing when he feels comfortable throwing has given him a career-high completion percentage this year - major, major jump, 6.6% jump over his previous career high of 60%. (and his 1st 4 years he was miserable, 54% or something like that)

Exhibit B: Another talented QB who has been misused IMO is Sam Bradford. A #1 draft pick who has none of the 'tude signs of bust - he shows up to camp in shape, works hard, listens to his coaches, no red flags, smart guy, strong arm, good team player-never throws his teammates under the bus, speaks well of his coaches - Bradford had a miserable 53.6% completion percentage last year, threw only 6 TD in 16 games, and ranked 29th in QBR (right above Skelton, Curtis Painter and Blaine Gabbert). This year so far he's doing better, by QBR right now 22/32, [right behind some guy who totally sucks and should never be an NFL QB because he's awful, just awful and no one is worse whoops sorry, just channeling the TBD gestalt here]. Bradford has already thrown 6 TDs in 6 games and improved his completion percentage to 59%, but he's also thrown 5 INTs and is right on pace to take 43 sacks this year. 43 sacks, wrap your mind around that. And this is a pedigreed kid, no red flags or question marks coming out of college. He's being asked to carry the team, has been since he walked in the door, and he can't. Think results would be different in a different system? I do.

So one reason why I have formed a poor opinion of Chan which is rapidly falling, is how he is using Fitzpatrick, both last season and this season. It seems inarguable that Fitz is struggling. Why - he totally sucks, he's injured, he's missing a WR or they ain't where he expects, the OL is injured, Lee f**ked up his throws - who knows, don't care, point is, he's struggling and that means we're struggling. Meanwhile we have two great and 1 good running back, a nasty FB who apparently can actually catch and run, a good blocking TE and an adequate blocking TE. It seems to me that taking the pressure totally off Fitz as Chan did vs KC would help the team in all ways. It would get the ball to the best players, give a message to Fitz 'relax, it's not all on you', ease frustration, potentially convert more 3rd downs esp 3rd and short, keep the struggling D off the field more, and enable more wins and more scoring.

Yet week after week, this does not occur. It doesn't occur game to game, it doesn't occur during games when Fitz is obviously confused about which uniforms he is supposed to target and our planned offense is Just Not Working and most rational coaches would say "OK, throw that out and regroup, what might work?"

I think the "click" moment for me was the Seattle-GB game. Anyone else watch it? GB's offense in the 1st half was totally ineffective. Aaron Rodgers was running for his life on every snap and sacked something like 8 times in the 1st half alone. Then GB comes out with a power package! Two TE, a fullback, a RB. And they start moving the ball. GB has a power running game in their playbook - GREEN BAY! who knew? After Seattle's D had to adjust, Rodgers had more time to throw and became effective.

Somehow, Chan can't do this sort of adjustment, either within or between games. And this, IMO is his fatal flaw.

Chan Gailey is a quality coach, he has this team performing on offense at a 10 year high, even with Fitzpatrick struggling, that says a lot. There isn't a coach on the planet that could do better with the players on this team, period.

The 10 year high part may be true, but if so that's way too low of a bar. We're still abysmal on offense at times. I can not agree with your assessment that no other coach on the planet could do better with the players on this team, for the reasons stated above.

Edited by Hopeful

<snip>

Somehow, Chan can't do this sort of adjustment, either within or between games. And this, IMO is his fatal flaw.

Speaking of the Packers/Seahawks game, a very similar thing happened in the New England/Buffalo game. New England came out in the second half and started running a power trap game and the Bills just stayed in their nickel defense. Gailey admitted that after the clock read 0:00, he had a conversation with Wannstedt about tightening things up walking through the hallways. WTF? Why not make some counter adjustments, you know, when the game is actually being played?

I voted for Chan simply because I’m sick or the constant 3 year rebuilding cycles. If Chan goes after the season, that means this team sh*t the bed again and we start all over again next year. I know that’s a crappy reason for keeping Chan around, it’s just how I feel. As long as Ralph is alive, I’m not optimistic that we’ll ever get a high profile coach like many the OP listed so I’d rather keep some continuity and try to keep building on what we have. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle by hiring an up and coming assistant coach but we’ve tried that and failed. I’d rather not get some 2nd tier guy that will cut half our team to bring in their type of guys. I really believe we’re only a few players away from being a contending team, unfortunately the QB is one of those missing players. I don’t think the defense is as bad as they appear to be in those blowouts. I’m not saying they’re great, just average, but Fitz’s mistakes have put them in some really bad situations. Hopefully Chan finally sees this and can do something about it next offseason.

I don't see how anyone who blames Chan for going with Fitz could, in the next breath, call for Bill Cowher.

Sure, Cowher wouldn't be the worst, but he gets a lot of credit that is better attributed to the organization. Steelers were good before & after him. And let us not forget, this is the guy who hitched his wagon to Kordell Frickin Stewart.

He had what should have been the perennial SB favorites except for his QB who got replaced by Tommy Maddux. And he stuck with the guy for six years.

If not for a solid organization with great players & solid DC I don't think Cowher goes down as anything special.

Please add:

Bill Parcells

Mike Ditka

Vince Lombardi

Jesus

If you're going to put Cowher on the list you might as well list the other guys who are never ever going to coach the Bills as well......

This, AND the OP's choice isnt even on the poll!!

If we had a real chance to get a better coach, Id be all for it. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. Coordinators turn down the Bills. We have to go with what we got. Get Chan a real QB for next year and see what happens. This team that Buddy built has talent, plug in a real QB and we're a real contender.

If there is a change at the HC position i think the perfect one would be Marty S .

Did any of you know that he played for the Bills in the 60's ? And who else better to coach the Bills than him ? He can't win the big one either .

But i think if he was put together with the Bills the curse would be broken & both Marty & the Bills would be vindicated as far as winning the big one !!

NAH it would never work Marty knows all about Ralph !! Sorry

Im a broken record: Marc Trestman

http://en.wikipedia....i/Marc_Trestman

I always wondered why they didn't bring him in when looking for a new HC , it would be the best thing to happen to the Bills in 12 years !!

I'll second that !!!

I don't see how anyone who blames Chan for going with Fitz could, in the next breath, call for Bill Cowher.

Sure, Cowher wouldn't be the worst, but he gets a lot of credit that is better attributed to the organization. Steelers were good before & after him. And let us not forget, this is the guy who hitched his wagon to Kordell Frickin Stewart.

He had what should have been the perennial SB favorites except for his QB who got replaced by Tommy Maddux. And he stuck with the guy for six years.

If not for a solid organization with great players & solid DC I don't think Cowher goes down as anything special.

And Stewart's first offensive coordinator with the Steelers was ___?