Will Chan spring the no huddle on the Jets.

Tom stahl

I think the Jets are not as good as they think they are and Im confident we're going to get some turnovers. For that reason, I'd like to see us run a very conservative game plan that focuses on the ground game.

I hope we run the hell out of the ball. For this to happen I think Fitz will need to audible into running plays. Chan's penchant for calling passing plays on first down drives me up the wall sometimes.

Yeah, Chan needs to get some therapy for his passing fetish...we have arguably the best RB tandem in the league and an Oline that can bust open some holes....we also have a D that should be able to be a strength instead of a liability....we need to RUN THE BALL.

I think it would be cool if we spring the no huddle i mean we scored 21 points on the Pats before the first quarter was over. Would be nice surprise imo.

I hope not...They stunk up the joint three weeks ago...This team needs to Run the Football....and Run MORE of it......They have two weapons on that side of the offense and they need to use that...

Yeah, Chan needs to get some therapy for his passing fetish...we have arguably the best RB tandem in the league and an Oline that can bust open some holes....we also have a D that should be able to be a strength instead of a liability....we need to RUN THE BALL.

Actually, I think Chan's schemes and play-calling made the offensive line look better than it really was last year. It's worth noting were last in the NFL in 3rd and short situations because our line provided zero push.

Maybe this year, with Wood healthy, we'll be better.

If they control the line of scrimmage, it really doesn't matter what offensive scheme you go with. I for one would love to see a lot of Freddie and CJ, then have that open up the pass so they can get into a rhythm. I'm pretty confident that if the O-line comes together, the passing game will be just as effective.

I predict the Bills will open the game with the no huddle wildcat. The injury to Smith was faked as a clever ruse to throw the Jests off guard ... Rex will then pull his team off of the field in protest because the double super secret wildcat was going to be HIS secret weapon and he claims the Bills obviously taped his practices in a strategic move stolen from the patsies to spoil his gameplan.

The commish then reacts by suspending every camera man ever associated with the NFL, when he realizes this ban also will include all of the cameramen from the TV networks, rather than backing down he replaces them with highschool film students who own Brownie instamatic cameras.

Excuse me while I put my tin foil hat back on.

I predict the Bills will open the game with the no huddle wildcat. The injury to Smith was faked as a clever ruse to throw the Jests off guard ... Rex will then pull his team off of the field in protest because the double super secret wildcat was going to be HIS secret weapon and he claims the Bills obviously taped his practices in a strategic move stolen from the patsies to spoil his gameplan.

The commish then reacts by suspending every camera man ever associated with the NFL, when he realizes this ban also will include all of the cameramen from the TV networks, rather than backing down he replaces them with highschool film students who own Brownie instamatic cameras.

Excuse me while I put my tin foil hat back on.

Very plausible

Actually, I think Chan's schemes and play-calling made the offensive line look better than it really was last year. It's worth noting were last in the NFL in 3rd and short situations because our line provided zero push.

This. All you "run the ball" fanatics think this o-line is the 1993 Redskins hogs and are vastly mistaken. The reason the Bill have run so well is BECAUSE of the spread. Those holes are not going to be there if the Bills try to grind it out in a closed formation.

Proof of this is that, when the Bills are in short yardage and try to go power running, they tend to get stuffed at the LOS.

This statement is not supported by the numbers:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

If the Bills were indeed last in the NFL on 3rd and short--and I'll have to take your word for it since I cannot find the stats at the moment--I would suspect it is because we threw the ball far too often in these situations, as the stats (check out the "Power" and "Stuffed" stats in the link above) reflect a high proficiency in short-yardage blocking.

This. All you "run the ball" fanatics think this o-line is the 1993 Redskins hogs and are vastly mistaken. The reason the Bill have run so well is BECAUSE of the spread. Those holes are not going to be there if the Bills try to grind it out in a closed formation.

Proof of this is that, when the Bills are in short yardage and try to go power running, they tend to get stuffed at the LOS.

Again, this is not the case. See the stats above.

All of the "run the ball first" comments are nice and all, but they haven't proven that they can do that and win. In EACH of the last 3 seasons, the Bills have lost 5 games by less than a touchdown because all they were intent on doing is keeping it close and running the football. That's 15 games folks. In order to "run the ball first", the Bills need to be up on the scoreboard. They also need to prove that they can stop the run as well or it won't matter. Let's not forget that they've been one of the worst teams against the run during that same timeframe. OK, so before someone jumps down my throat, this defense looks a lot different this year than years past, particularly the front 4. However, the linebackers have to be a point of concern based on the play we've seen so far. As for the other comments about using 5 WR sets, I really don't think that's realistic. Particularly when your 5th WR is Brad Smith. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the no huddle with CJ and Jackson on the field at the same time, along with Johnson, Jones, and Graham. If the opposing D stacks the box, you beat them downfield. If they're honest, you run the ball and see what happens.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the no huddle with CJ and Jackson on the field at the same time, along with Johnson, Jones, and Graham. If the opposing D stacks the box, you beat them downfield. If they're honest, you run the ball and see what happens.

I've thought about this two, and now that we have only 4 WR I think this may be one of the formations we're running a lot of. We can always but one of the RB into motion, especially when you considerSpiller got practice on WR routes last season. Since both can run, and with different styles I could see this being a big headache for the Jets.

I'm not all that afraid of the Jets offense, so a no huddle might be a good idea, assuming we use the run game as if we had Thurman Thomas in the backfield. Jackson and Spiller can do a ton of damage and spell each other in the process. Get the running game going and the passing game may open up. The Jet defense may be intellectually "ready" for a no huddle, but come the end of the half they may be physically drained.

This statement is not supported by the numbers:

http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/ol

OTOH, while these numbers support the idea that the Bills oline is successful in short yardage situations, I'm not sure they tell the whole story.

I generally agree with and like the "signature" stats and rankings provided by Football Outsiders, and I see that these in particular are "adjusted based on down, distance, situation, opponent, and the difference in rushing average between shotgun compared to standard formations." But then they are re-adjusted "so that the league average for Adjusted Line Yards per carry is the same as the league average for RB yards per carry." Therein may be where the discrepancy lies, but I'm not sure.

I'd like to trust their analysis but on the very same page, Buffalo is ranked as the #1 pass protecting oline. Their stats and methodology are comprehensive, but they still don't account for FItz getting rid of the ball almost instantly.

To me, what it boils down to is the eyeball test. Perhaps the Bills were able to put together decent stats in the run blocking game over the course of the season, but if you guys remember the first game vs the Jets last year, Fred was stuffed a number of times on plays when it was obvious the Bills were running it, including a key 4th and inches.

Fred's stats last year on 3rd and <3 were 6 yds on 5 attempts. While I don't know the conversion rate, you have to assume it's not good. I don't know how that translates to such a high ranking for the Bills oline, but I'm wondering if it is skewed by Spiller's 5.0 ypc on 3rd down, or maybe Brad Smith's WC carries, or some other outlier.

The bottom line is that IMO I wouldn't count on a ground and pound game against one of the best front 7s in the NFL regardless of what some stats insinuate.

starting the game with a no huddle is weak sauce. maybe it had it's day.

Lets run, use play action and spread em once or twice.

Once we see the mismatch on the drive we go no huddle and exploit the defense. They will make the mistake at some point. The no huddle might be best when the defense is already backpedaling. Nothing wrong with no huddle and nothing wrong with the spread either. Hope we use these tools at the right time.

To the gentleman who suggested 3/4s of defense on the field, our defnsive ends are lazy primadonnas and will get kitty tired while Kyle and Marcel do all the hard work. Lets get and on and then off the field with points. and 3 and outs for the vaulted D.