53 man roster

Not saying that I can predict the roster but interesting on who could get cut. Starting with the depth chart as of today, cuts in Red.

Offence 24 make the roster

POS First Second Third Other

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick Tyler Thigpen Vince Young Brad Smith

RB Fred Jackson C.J. Spiller Tashard Choice Johnny White Zach Brown

FB Corey McIntyre Dorin Dickerson

WR Stevie Johnson Derek Hagan Ruvell Martin Naaman Roosevelt

Kamar Aiken

Derek Session

LT Chris Hairston Cordy Glenn James Carmon

LG Andy Levitre Keith Williams David Snow

C Eric Wood Colin Brown Mark Asper

RG Kraig Urbik Chad Rinehart Jake Vermiglio

RT Erik Pears Sam Young Zebrie Sanders

TE Scott Chandler Lee Smith Kevin Brock Fendi Onobun

Mike Caussin

WR Donald Jones David Nelson T.J. Graham Marcus Easley

David Clowney

Defense 25 make the roster

DE Mario Williams Shawne Merriman Robert Eddins Sean Ferguson

DT Marcell Dareus Spencer Johnson Alex Carrington Jarron Gilbert

DT Kyle Williams Dwan Edwards Kellen Heard Torell Troup

DE Mark Anderson Chris Kelsay Kyle Moore Jay Ross

OLB Arthur Moats Kirk Morrison Chris White Danny Batten

MLB Kelvin Sheppard Scott McKillop Tank Carder

OLB Nick Barnett Bryan Scott Nigel Bradham

CB Aaron Williams Leodis McKelvin Prince Miller Cris Hill

CB Stephon Gilmore Terrence McGee Justin Rogers Ron Brooks

FS Jairus Byrd Joshua Nesbitt Nick Saenz Delano Howell

SS George Wilson Da'Norris Searcy Nick Sukay Isaiah Green

Special teams 4 make the roster

K Rian Lindell John Potter

P Brian Moorman

LS Garrison Sanborn

Honestly, I don't know in what football universe we would be in to have only 7 offensive linemen.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlikely they keep 7 WRs. Smith, Spiller, and Jackson can all line up at WR. Bills only kept 5 WRs last year.

Only 3 OTs on the roster. I think it's Sanders or Young on the 53 man. I know Levitre can move outside in a pinch, but O-linemen get dinged up. You need depth.

I think Edwards makes it over Carrington. But the front office will flinch at the idea of cutting Carrington, Troupe, Sanders, Asper, Batten, Easley, J. White, C. White, and Bradham. That would be an admission of some horrible drafting in the past 3 years.

I think Bradham makes the 53 man roster. Fourth round picks generally do.

Honestly, I don't know in what football universe we would be in to have only 7 offensive linemen.

last year they only had 2 reserve ol dress for the game. Remove a WR and add a OL, who is the next WR out?

You're nuts if you think Bradham is getting cut.

PTR

I am nuts, but with with 25 on defense someone has to go. I would assume that some the the draft picks will be on the PS.

If you have him making it who gets cut in his place?

Again I dont feel I have a special knowledge on who makes the team, but started this thread because I thought it was amazing on how many guys need to be cut.

Edited by artmalibu

I would doubt any of the WR's we cut would get picked up by another team so I think they go with 5 WR's including Smith. This opens up two spots for the OL. I think Brown and Sanders will be added to the OL. If/when injuries occur one of the WR's that gets cut will be available.

Edwards over Heard. Troup to IR.

I could see them carrying only three safeties and five CB's (McGee vs Rogers will be a tough call). Wilson and Byrd start with Wilson being able to move to FS in a pinch. Searcy backs up Wilson. Scott and Aaron Williams are the emergency back-ups.

This allows them to keep an extra LB - Bradham.

I would doubt any of the WR's we cut would get picked up by another team so I think they go with 5 WR's including Smith. This opens up two spots for the OL. I think Brown and Sanders will be added to the OL. If/when injuries occur one of the WR's that gets cut will be available.

Edwards over Heard. Troup to IR.

I could see them carrying only three safeties and five CB's (McGee vs Rogers will be a tough call). Wilson and Byrd start with Wilson being able to move to FS in a pinch. Searcy backs up Wilson. Scott and Aaron Williams are the emergency back-ups.

This allows them to keep an extra LB - Bradham.

good call on the WRs the guys that are the last 2 or 3 are nothing special.

Agreed.

Bradham is going to be a good one for us. Zero chance he gets cut.

OK if he stays who goes? Tank??

dont think they will keep more than 25 on defense

I think they're sticking with 6 WR instead of 7. Cut Naaman, Martin stays for ST.

I agree with the sentiments that there are too few OL. Add back in Sam Young.

I don't think Carrington makes it, but Dwan does.

I think Tank gets put on the practice squad while Bradham makes the roster, ST.

I think you nailed the DB situation, but it's going to be hard going into the season with 5CBs.

Along with Tank, I'd have Zebrie Sanders, Isaiah Green, and Mark Asper on my practice squad.

Not saying that I can predict the roster but interesting on who could get cut. Starting with the depth chart as of today, cuts in Red.

Kamar Aiken

Derek Session

Mike Caussin

David Clowney

P Brian Moorman

LS Garrison Sanborn

Don't think they are keeping 7 WR

Don't think they are keeping B Smith and Young

Don' t think they are keeping 4 special teamers

Don't think they are keeping 9 DE

and I would be shocked if they kept 3 TE

Plenty of arguements can be made for and against Dwan Edwards, or anyone else I listed for that matter. IMHO I don't think Edwards transitions well to a 43 DT and becomes a victim of circumstance. Hopefuly they let him go sone enough to catch on with a 34 team. Also, Carrington has been less than impressive and I like what Heard showed last year (big, young dude with a good upside). *Spencer Johnsons shoulder may let one of the two back into the mix

Offense: 24, maybe 25 w/a 7th WR

QB: Fitz; Young; Smith

RB: Jackson; Spiller; Choice

FB: McIntyre

WR: Johnson; Haggan; Roosevelt

LT: Glenn; Hairston (swing)

LG: Levitre; Williams

C: Wood; Brown

RG: Urbik; Rhineheart

RT: Pears

TE: Chandler; Smith

WR: Graham; Jones; Nelson (I'd like to see them keep 7, maybe Aiken?)

*Call me less than impressed with our WR depth. I billieve we address that in 2013, regardless of Graham's pick this year. QB as well.

Defense: 25, maybe 24 if we only carry 6 LB's

DE: Williams; Gilbert

DT: Williams; Johnson

DT: Dareus; Heard

DE: Anderson; Kelsay; Moore

OLB: Barnett; Bradham

MLB: Sheppard; McKillop, Carder (I like Carder over McKillop if we go w/6)

OLB: Moats; Morrison

CB: Williams; Brooks; McKelvin

CB: Gillmore; McGee/Rogers (I like Rogers over both McGee & McKelvin. 2 of 3 will make it)

FS: Byrd; Howell

SS: Wilson; Searcy

*LB is another concern and area for improvement in 2013, unless Bradham and Carder stand on their respective heads this year

ST: 4, maybe 3 if we release Lyndel and carry 7 WR's or 7 LB's

K; Lyndel/Potter

P: Moorman

LS: Sanborn

I highlighted special teamers in green. (KO & KR)

PS: 8? No idea hee, best guesses

RB: White

WR: Aiken

TE: Onobun

RG: Vermiglio

RT: Sanders

DE: Eddins (eligibility?)

DT: Ross

CB: Miller

They GOTTA be shopping McKelvin...with the depth there due to the introduction of Brooks and the need for other teams, they have a golden chance to get something outta him. Don'tcha think?

They couldn't get a bag of used footballs for him. Last year of his rookie contract and he stays. Cheap insurance (for what I don't really know) but he will try to produce whatever they ask of him if he's got any game in him at all anymore. Maybe special teams ace.

BTW thanks again for the pick Dick.

Not bad, but on offense

1) I hope to heck Chan is not of a mind to keep only 7 OLmen this year. Dreadful mistake last year and cost us. Colin Brown and Sam Young both worth keeping IMO. Sanders and Asper are long shots; one may make the PS

2) Too many WR. I'd like to wave goodbye to Ruvell Martin and keep Rosie, but am dreadfully afraid it goes the other way.

3) Not sure Kevin Brock will make it. Anyone got some gouge on him? Caussin will not be cut as he is on PUP. This may lead us to keep just two TE figuring we can bring Caussin back if someone gets hurt.

On defense

1) Troup is on IR and will not be cut

2) NO FREAKIN' WAY Bradham gets cut. Cut a 4th round draft pick who has looked promising in camp? Can I have some of that sh*t? Even Ed Wang got a year, and there is no way Bradham would clear waivers and go to our practice squad

3) Either Morrison or McKillop get cut before Bradham does. Bradham was a ST beast in college - which is why I'm hoping we can finally move Ruvell on along

4) I don't see Edwards getting cut and Carrington and Heard making the team. I think we go down to 8 DL if we need to, in order to keep 7 LB

Here, this is how I see it. It's possible we stash a young DB on PS and keep another DL, not sure on that.

Kamar Aiken

Derek Session

Mike Caussin (on PUP, doesn't count against roster)

David Clowney

P Brian Moorman

LS Garrison Sanborn

2012 Buffalo Bills

My projected 53 man roster [uPDATED]

QB(3) Fitz is the man, no doubt about that. Gailey loves the guy. I, on the other hand, have lost trust in #14. Working on his mechanics this year have hurt him more than it has helped it has appeared.The #2 spot isn't as cut and dried. Vince Young is a cheaper alternative than Thigpen and he is a proven winner in the NFL, therefore I gotta go with VY.

Grade: D+ [GRADE REDUCED]

Fitzpatrick

Young

Smith

RB(5) The Bills sport, at the very least, a top 3 running back tandem in the entire league. Freddie is healthy and ready to light up the NFL again. Spiller is in his third season and poised for a breakout year. The only battle here is between last years' draft choice Johnny White vs Tashard Choice. I went with Choice because he has started games in the NFL which would be invaluable to the Bills if something were to happen to Spiller or Fredex. Let's just hope Chan Gailey utilizes this group a ton. We need to be a run first team.

Grade: A+ [GRADE UNCHANGED]

Jackson

Spiller

Choice

McIntyre

Dickerson

WR(6) I believe a lot of people will be surprised with how well this unit plays this year. Stevie and Donald are the starters, but you will see plenty of Nelson, who like Spiller, is in his third year which is usually the season WRs finally come into their own. I think this trio can combine for over 3000 yards. Hagan provides some veteran leadership, Graham supplies the speed. Naaman is my 53rd man on the roster. He deserves a roster spot.

Grade: C+ [GRADE REDUCED]

Johnson

Jones

Nelson

Graham

Easley [EDITED] Roosevelt: Naaman is my surprise player to make the cut. The kid catches everything thrown his way and can play special teams. Easley hasn't shown anything. That project is over.

Hagan

TE(2) Chandler proved his worth to the Bills last year and should only get better. He's a huge target and a good outlet for Fitzy if things breakdown. Smith is a decent blocker.

Grade: C+ [GRADE UNCHANGED]

Chandler

Smith

OL(11) If Cordy or Hairston can man the LT position adequately than the Bills can have a top 5 unit here. I love all the other starters. Levitre is the most underrated LG in the NFL. Wood was on his way to the All-Pro team before the injury. Both Urbik and Pears are solid to above average. We have decent depth here, with Rhinehart, and the loser of the LT battle (most likely Hairston). Urbik can play center if anything goes wrong with Wood.

Grade: B- [GRADE REDUCED] Our injuries on the line has created a problem with chemistry. I'd like to see what this line can do when Wood and Pears stay in gthe lineup.

Glenn

Levitre

Wood

Urbik

Pears

Hairston

Brown

Rhinehart

Young

Sanders

Sanborn [EDITED] Sanders and Young might make the team just so the Jets don't try to steal them from us, but keeping them both can be a problem for us at DT. Dwan Edwards and Spencer Johnson only have one or two years left on contact. We need to keep an insurance policy at that position on our roster for the future.

DL(8) This is started to sound redundant, but the Bills have a top three unit in the league here, as well. We Bills fans are downright giddy at the thought of this unit playing together. Mario will demand double teams and free up at least one or two other guys to single match ups which will pose a huge problem to opposing defenses. Offenses will have to chip block our DEs using the RBs and tight ends will have to stay back and block more than they'd like to against us. Dareus and Kyle make up the best DT combo in the league and Anderson's speed rush is just the thing we need on a line full of power and speed. The Bills have some flexibility here as Dwan and Sp Johnson can play DE as well as tackle.

Grade: A+ [GRADE UNCHANGED]

Williams

Anderson

Kelsay

Merrimen [EDITED] Moore: Bills like his potential.

Dareus

K. Williams

Edwards

Sp. Johnson

Carrington [EDITED] Carrington has shown absolutely nothing. The Bills will keep 8 D-lineman instead of 9.

LB(7) This is our weakest unit on the defense, but that's not meant to be a knock against our boys at linebacker, we're just so stacked with talent on the DL and secondary. Barnett is the best of the bunch. He can cover, and play the run. Our coaching staff has a lot of faith in Sheppard, so he must be at least adequate. So far in the preseason Sheppard looks to be a liability on defense. Morrison has been around for a while now in the NFL so he provides the D with some veteran leadership, but I believe Moats will steal his starting job shortly after the start of the season.[EDITED] Moats has already over taken the starting spot. Our other linebackers will play a significant role on special teams. Scott will be the nickel backer.

Grade: D+ [GRADE REDUCED]

Barnett

Sheppard

Morrison

Carder

Moats

Bradham

Scott

DB(8) I have some concerns with this unit, but at the same time they can be special. Aaron Williams needs to get better. I don't agree with the majority of the board when it comes to AW. I thought he sucked last year, but he was a rookie and that's to be expected, EXCEPT when it comes to Gilmore. Stephon is ready to make a difference on this D as of now. The kid can play. he will get tested early and often, my bet is teams will start avoiding him well before mid-season. McKelvin is the X factor here. Call me hard headed but I still have faith in him, if he can just learn to play the ball while it's in the air. Rogers and Brooks have some promise. I love our safety tandem of Wilson and Byrd. Especially Byrd! Like he may play his way out of Buffalo, this year, that good!! I don't know if we'll be able to fit him under our cap next season. Our secondary will benefit greatly from our improved pass rush.

Grade: B- [GRADE UNCHANGED]

Williams

Gilmore

Byrd

Wilson

Brooks

McKelvin

Rogers

Searcy

K/P(3)

Grade: A- [GRADE UNCHANGED]

Lindell

Potter [EDITED] Potter has been magnificent on kickoffs. He's a lock to make the roster and to be active every week.

Moorman

These are for sure picks on who will make the team

Offense

QB: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tavarius Jackson only at this point TT and BS jobs are both unsafe

WR: Stevie, David Nelson, Donald Jones, TJ Graham

TE: Scott Chandler, Lee Smith

RB: Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller, Tashard Choice

FB: Mcyntire

OT: Cordy Glenn Hairston, Zerbie Sanders

OG: Levitre, Rinehart, Urbik

C: Wood, Colin Brown

Defense

DT: Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Spencer Johnson, Dwan Edwards

DE: Mario Williams, Kelsay, Mark Anderson,

LB: Sheppard, Barnett, Kirk Morrison, Tank Carder, Arthur Moats, Bradham

CB: Gilmore, Mckelvin, Williams, Brooks

S: Wilson, Byrd, Searcy, Scott

Special Teams:

LS Sanborn

P: Moorman

K: Lindel

At this point I think there are only about 40 slots that are for sure to make the team. I think the rest have a at least a chance to miss the team. What are your thoughts?

Edited by Buffalos#1Fan

I think there is no way tjax gets cut a week after being acquired. Add him to your keeps list and it all looks decent except for sanders and asper. I could see them being cut with the hopes they will make it through waivers and end up on the ps.

Urbik is a guard... you have him at tackle. Put him at guard and pull asper out. Carrington is also a DT this year and far from a lock. Pears is definitely making the team at tackle. Im really not sure about McGee making the team either.

I don't think Asper, Sanders or Carrington are "for sure" on the team. I also think Traveris Jackson definitely makes the final cutdown. (Why sign him only to cut him less than a week later?)

I think Rogers and McGee make the team as well, though they're the next players you have listed I'm least sure about due to their injuries.

Not listed: Add Pears. And I'd be shocked if Spenser Johnson is cut, and think it's very likely Dwan Edwards makes the team, unless he's a salary cut, which I doubt. I'm also pretty sure McIntyre will make the cut.

yeah, Sanders was awful until Pittsburgh when he was just ok. Carrington and Asper are more than likely cut.

And i have seen nothing from Carder... he's been on 3rd team and virtually unnoticeable. maybe makes it on being a 5th round pick alone (like Sanders) but can't see him being a lock at all.

Not listed: Add Pears. And I'd be shocked if Spenser Johnson is cut, and think it's very likely Dwan Edwards makes the team, unless he's a salary cut, which I doubt. I'm also pretty sure McIntyre will make the cut.

IIRC, Spencer and Dwan are in the final years of their respective deals. I think they stay this season and who knows if we resign them or not. I think they play out their contracts...

These are for sure picks on who will make the team

Offense

QB: Ryan Fitzpatrick only at this point TT, TJ, and BS jobs are all unsafe

WR: Stevie, David Nelson, Donald Jones, TJ Graham

TE: Scott Chandler, Lee Smith

RB: Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller, Tashard Choice

OT: Cordy Glenn, Kraig Urbik, Hairston, Zerbie Sanders

OG: Levitre, Rinehard, Asper

C: Wood, Colin Brown

Defense

DT: Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus

DE: Mario Williams, Kelsay, Mark Anderson, Alex Carrington

LB: Sheppard, Barnett, Kirk Morrison, Tank Carder, Arthur Moats, Bradham

CB: Gilmore, Mckelvin, Mcgee, Rogers, Williams, Brooks

S: Wilson, Byrd, Searcy, Scott

At this point I think there are only about 40 slots that are for sure to make the team. I think the rest have a at least a chance to miss the team. What are your thoughts?

Honestly this seems to be bit off(IMO), especially for a list titled "for sure picks who will make the team"

Brad Smith and Jackson are as much locks to make the team as anyone else, Smith plays every position, and the Bills just traded for Jackson and cut Young.

Zebrie Sanders is almost guaranteed to be cut or get a PS spot, it's extremely unlikely he makes the roster given his playing time and the preseason depth chart, Obviously Hairston, Glenn, and Pears make it, POSSIBLY Young based on Pears health. Similarly I think only Asper or Brown would make the active roster, not both, possibly neither

Carrington is far from safe, actually with Gilberts play I'm pretty sure Carrington is as good as gone.

Carder is another guy practice squad bound IMO (despite unrealistic expectation of a 5th rounder). He has had very little playing time, and what playing time he's had show's that he's very raw and needs work. He is behind Shep, Morrison, and McKillop who are all likely to make the team.

Scott is listed as a LB, and it seems that Howell could get a roster spot as the 4th safety.

Lastly, both Rogers and McGee are battling injuries. I don't see a scenario in which they both make it to the active roster opening day. The fact that McGee actually played in a game (they both played for the first time, second half of steelers game) gives him more of a shot than I thought he had, although he didn't look very good. I'm a big McGee fan, but he's still not healed after knee surgery, I think it would be something of a surprise if he makes the team.

we'll know these answers very soon though.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

You're probably right.

I guess hindsight is 20/20, but seems like we should have PUP'd him from day 1. We could have brought him back fresh and healthy by week 6.

My guess is they want him to play day 1 or it's cut time. We have younger guys to fill in if he doesn't make the cut.

Didn't other teams make guys PUP as late as last night? Thought I saw some on the ESPN ticker.

I think what you were reading is teams that didn't take them OFF of PUP, meaning they have to miss the first 6 weeks (such as Jahvid Best).

I won't claim to be an expert on PUP, so I certainly could be wrong. I did read this on the PUP wiki though.

"A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes."

http://en.wikipedia....able_to_Perform

Edited by Turbosrrgood

You have no specialists.

These guys are locks:

Moorman

Lindell

Sanborn

I think Potter makes the team but the QB situation makes it complicated if they want to carry Jackson AND Thigpen.

I think what you were reading is teams that didn't take them OFF of PUP, meaning they have to miss the first 6 weeks (such as Jahvid Best).

I won't claim to be an expert on PUP, so I certainly could be wrong. I did read this on the PUP wiki though.

"A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes."

http://en.wikipedia....able_to_Perform

Teams put player on the PuP list as part of their roster moves to get down to 75. PuP list players do not count against the roster.

The Steelers RB Mendenhall was taken off the PuP list so he can participate in practices and be part of the team.

the Bills put TE Caussins on the PuP.

Under the PuP the player has to wait till after week 6 then when he is finally activated from it he has 3 weeks to then join the club on a roster spot otherwise he is cut or put on IR.

Once you are off the PuP list you are off.

There are clauses in this because how do you determine if the player is healthy to play or not. The key is that it was an injury from last year so he could practice.

The other STUPID CLAUSE in it.....who thought this should be shot....

You cant go on the PuP in the offseason without going through waivers. The Patriots claimed the Giants TE who got hurt in the super bowl through this system when the Giants wanted him to go on the PuP.