53 man roster

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think it would be a mistake to cut Danny Batten. That's right, I said it. I think he's shown steady improvement in two seasons and will continue to get better. Honestly, I'd rather lose Merriman.

Then it's obvious that you didn't watch any Bills football last year to make this statement. Even on a 1/2 leg Merriman was head and shoulders above Batten.

But I know, you can't have enough high motor lunch pail guys on the roster.

Then it's obvious that you didn't watch any Bills football last year to make this statement. Even on a 1/2 leg Merriman was head and shoulders above Batten.

But I know, you can't have enough high motor lunch pail guys on the roster.

Besides: why rely on a 2 year old model when you've got a brand new one (Carder)?

There are going to be some guys cut this year that have produced for us in the past. The writing in on the wall and its in the form of competition. I really am excited about it because the level of play is going to go up.

Here are my 53:

WRs - Nelson, Graham, Roosevelt, Johnson, Jones, Easley

TEs - Chandler, Caussin

Ts - Pears, Sanders, Hairston, Glenn

Gs - Urbik, Asper, Reinhart, Levitre

C - Wood

RBs - Jackson, Spiller, Choice, McIntyre

QBs - Fitzpatrick, Thigpen, Smith

DEs - Williams, Anderson, Kelsey, Merriman

DTs - Dareus, Williams, Troup, Carrington, Heard

LBs - Morrison, Barnett, Bradham, Sheppard, Carder, Moats

CBs - Gilmore, Williams, Florence, Brooks, McKelvin, Rogers

Ss - Byrd, Wilson, Searcy, Scott

Ks - Lindell, Potter

P - Moorman

LS - Sandborne

I think of those guys, Roosevelt, Rogers, Troup, Heard, and Choice are on the "Bubble." Maybe Kelsey too. If we sign VY then Thigpen is likely out as well.

I'd like to see other people's 53 man rosters too. I am hoping that Chris Brown will update us on the players that are PS players too because that would help us picture the final roster.

Have Fun.

I went back and forth on Asper and Brown. My reason for taking Asper was that he can play both C and G and so can Urbik. I don't know as much about Brown, other than Buddy said he likes guys that can play two positions because you only get 7 active on Sundays. If Brown can play G too then it will be an interesting Camp Battle. Maybe Asper sticks on the PS. My reason for Heard over White is that in the 4-3 system I believe that you'll need at least 5 DTs and 6 LBs. Heard gives us that, but again, I am not in any position of knowing and maybe the preferred position in the LB and 7 LBs is better than 5 DTs. Regardless, this competition is going to be fierce.

Projected 53 man roster with some tough choices:

QB: Fitz/Young/Smith

RB: Jackson/Spiller/Choice

FB: McIntyre

TE: Chandler/Smith

WR: Johnson/Nelson/Graham/Easley/Hagan/(B. Smith)/Martin

OT: Glenn/Hairston/Pears/Sanders

OG: Levitre/Urbik/Rheinhart

OC: Wood/(Urbik)

LS: Sanborn

K: Lindell

P: Moorman

DE: M. Williams/Anderson/Merriman/Kelsay/Moats

DT: K. Williams/Dareus/Edwards/Johnson/Troup/Carrington

OLB: Barnett/Morrison/Bradham/Scott/(Moats)

MLB: Sheppard/Carder

CB: A. Williams/Gilmore/Florence/Brooks/McKelvin/McGee

SS: Wilson/Howell

FS: Byrd/Searcy

Young vs Thigpen - Young is a much better athlete and someone that Gailey could make into a productive player. Thigpen is a very poor NFL QB.

Choice vs J. White - Choice runs hard and is a weapon out of the backfield. White hasn't shown much as a RB, but can play ST.

L. Smith vs vet FA - Smith is mostly just a blocker who isn't much of a receiver. Vet FA TEs Shiancoe or Scaife would be better options.

Hagan/Jones/Easley vs Martin - All 3 will be in danger of being cut if Bills prefer Martin's ST prowess. Easley/Hagan stay. Jones has aligator arms. B. Smith plays WR too.

Ideally, the Bills pickup a vet WR since Hagan and Martin are average WRs and Easley is a big question mark.

Asper vs C. Brown vs Jasper - The best backup OC makes the team, which leaves Jasper out in the cold. Bills elect to cut all three and utilize Urbik as their backup OC.

Carrington vs Heard vs K. Moore - Carrington has the greatest upside and can play both DT and DE. Enough said.

C. White vs B. Scott - Scott covers TEs from the LB position and can play SS. Scott stays. Ideally, the Bills seek to add a vet LB to their LB corp as well.

McGee vs McKelvin vs Rogers - Very tough call. I'm going with McGee and McKelvin for now because they have more experience. Both should be better with a much improved pass rush.

Howell vs ?? - Howell is my surprise pick to make the final roster based upon his smarts and toughness. He's an outstanding ST player. Bills need a backup SS as well.

The Bills are already looking to add Young to upgrade their backup QB position. Will they seek to upgrade their WR/TE/LB positions via FA as well??

Great call!

I guess you didn't see me man up about it in the actual Florence thread, but thanks for being a d_bag about it.

It goes without saying that this is worth virtually nothing at this point; the draft's not even over. But I needed to sort through all our talent mentally, and writing out was the easiest way to do it.

QB (3): Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyler Thigpen, Brad Smith

RB (4): Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller, Johnny White, Tashard Choice

FB (1): Corey McIntyre

WR (6): Stevie Johnson, David Nelson, Donald Jones, TJ Graham, Derek Hagan, Marcus Easley

TE (2): Scott Chandler, Mike Caussin

OT (4): Chris Hairston, Erik Pears, Cordy Glenn, Zebrie Sanders

OG (4): Andy Levitre, Chad Rinehart, Kraig Urbik, Mark Asper

OC (2): Eric Wood, Colin Brown

--

DE (5): Mario Williams, Mark Anderson, Shawne Merriman, Chris Kelsay, Robert Eddins

DT (4): Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, Torrell Troup, Kellen Heard

OLB (4): Nick Barnett, Kirk Morrison, Nigel Bradham, Bryan Scott

ILB (2): Kelvin Sheppard, Tank Carder

CB (6): Aaron Williams, Stephon Gilmore, Terrence McGee, Drayton Florence, Ron Brooks, Justin Rogers

S (3): Jairus Byrd, George Wilson, Da'Norris Searcy

--

ST (3): Rian Lindell, Brian Moorman, Garrison Sanborn

Notable Cuts: Danny Batten, Arthur Moats, Leodis McKelvin, Spencer Johnson, Alex Carrington, Dwan Edwards.

-------------

Somewhat optimistically, this has the first six rounds of draft picks make the team. For the 7th round, UDFAs, and future UFAs and other teams' cuts, I think the biggest opportunities are for a fourth safety (currently unfilled since Scott can play both positions), DL depth (although I think we're likely to shed a lot of veteran this summer, like Edwards, Carrington, Johnson), ILB, and potentially, TE.

Now we know Florence is gone. McKelvin is likely safe. Carrington will be a DE. Merriman is an OLB in the 4-3. Either White or Choice will be cut. They will not carry 4 RB's.

And Moorman will lose his job this Summer.

Now we know Florence is gone. McKelvin is likely safe. Carrington will be a DE. Merriman is an OLB in the 4-3. Either White or Choice will be cut. They will not carry 4 RB's.

And Moorman will lose his job this Summer.

No. Merriman is a DE in our defense.

2011 starting lineup 9:(for most of the year due to injuries):

OFFENSE:

Fitz

Spiller

S. Johnson

Hagan

Nelson

Chandler

Bell

Levitre

Urbik

Rheinhart

Pears

DEFENSE:

Edwards

Dareus

Carrington

Sp. Johnson

Barnett

A. Davis

Batten

Florence

McKelvin

Searcy

Byrd

Special Teams:

Moorman

Sanborn

Couto

Projected 2012 starting lineup (as of 5-6-12):

OFFENSE:

Fitz

Jackson

Spiller

S. Johnson

Nelson

Chandler

Glenn

Levitre

Wood

Urbik

Pears

DEFENSE:

M. Williams

K. Williams

Dareus

Merriman

Barnett

Sheppard

Morrison

A. Williams

S. Gilmore

Wilson

Byrd

Special Teams:

Moorman

Sanborn

Lindell

Note: The biggest improvements of course are on defense and on ST. Huge improvements have been made with the additions of M. Williams, K. Williams, Merriman, Gilmore, A. Williams, Wilson (for the entire year), Sheppard, and Morrison. Don't forget that Wannstedt is a wiley veteran coach who I expect will be a difference-maker as well.

On offense, having Jackson and Spiller for the entire year will make a big difference. We will need for one or more of the WRs (Easley, Graham, Jones, Hagan, B. Smith) to step up for there to be any significant improvement on offense. Who will play LT?? Can Wood stay healthy for the entire year??

On ST, adding Brook, Carder, and Bradham can only help. UFA SS Howell is a ST deamon as well, who I really like.

• 3 weeks later...

QB 3 RYAN FITZPATRICK, Vince Young, Brad Smith

RB/FB 4 FRED JACKSON, CJ Spiller, Johnny White, Cory McIntyre

TE 3 SCOTT CHANDLER, Lee Smith, Fendi Onobun

WR 6 STEVIE JOHNSON, DAVID NELSON, MARCUS EASLEY, Darek Hagen, TJ Graham, David Clowney

OL 9 CORDY GLENN, ANDY LEVITRE, ERIC WOOD, KRAIG URBIK, ERIC PEARS, Chad Rinehart, Chris Hairston, Zebrie Sanders, Mark Asper

DL 9 MARIO WILLIAMS, MARCEL DARIUS, KYLE WILLIAMS, MARK ANDERSON, Shawne Merriman, Chris Kelsay, Dwan Edwards, Torell Troup, Spencer Johnson,

LB 6 NICK BARNETT, KELVIN SHEPPARD, KIRK MORRISON, Nigel Bradham, Scott McKillop, Tank Carder

DB 10 STEPHON GILMORE, AARON WILLIAMS, Tarrence McGee, Ron Brooks, Justin Rogers, Leodis McKelvin, JARIUS BYRD, GEORGE WILSON, Bryan Scott DaNorris Searcy

ST 3 k RYAN LINDELL, p SHAUN POWELL, ls GARRISON SANBORN

STARTERS ARE IN CAPS

You forgot Alex Carington. He probably makes the team over guys like Dwan Edwards and Spencer Johnson.

Alex Carrington had only 16 total tackles and 1 sack last season

Dwan Edwards had 52 tackles and 2.5 sacks

Spencer Johnson had 47 tackles and 2 sacks

It came down to production for me to think Carrington would not make it.