Mike Mayock: Blackmon vs Floyd

1B4IDie

Mike Mayock said when it comes to the tape Michael Floyd is just as good as Blackmon.

He went in to say "If it wasn't for. . . He has struggled with alcohol . . . Listen when you look at the tape . . ." to paraphrase he said he is a big, strong, can win jump balls, runs great routes and "is probably the best blocking WR in the draft."

He went on to say it is going to be up to a GM to determine how comfortable they are with his off the field stuff. He never went on to finish the thought about "If it wasn't for. . . " he kind of stumbled around his words on that.

He said he expects Floyd to be a "top 12" pick so if you take the early "IF it wasn't for. . ." to the bext logical step, talent wise you're getting an elite, skilled WR at #10 that dropped because of off the field stuff a la Randy Moss and Dez Bryant.

What's strange is the video was taken down from NFL.com.

Now that the beloved Mike Mayock has echoed my sentiments on Floyd anyone feel better about the Floyd pick?

Edit:

The video is back up and was added to the ASU pro day video.

It turns out Mayock didn't stumble over his words as much as a

I remembered. The Floyd discussion starts at 2:32:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d827f6454/On-the-draft-board

(Mayock also agrees with me that Vontaze Burficit is not draftable.)

Edited by Why So Serious?

Mike Mayock when it comes to the tape Michael Floyd is just as good as Blackmon.

He went in to say "If it wasn't for. . . He has struggled with alcohol . . . Listen when you look at the tape . . ." to paraphrase he said ge is big strong, can win jump balls, runs great routes and "is probably the best blocking WR in the draft."

He went on to say it is going to be up to a GM to determine how comfortable they are with his off the field stuff. He never went on to finish the thought about "If it wasn't for. . . " he kind of stumbled around his words on that.

Now that the beloved Mike Mayock has echoed my sentiments on Floyd anyone feel better about the Floyd pick?

What you quote here clearly indicates that it was a big no-no for Mayock to say the specific issue with Floyd was "struggling with alcohol". He realized his mistake the second time and stumbled trying not to repeat it. That wasn't good enough so they pulled the video.

Edited by BobChalmers

Mike Mayock when it comes to the tape Michael Floyd is just as good as Blackmon.

He went in to say "If it wasn't for. . . He has struggled with alcohol . . . Listen when you look at the tape . . ." to paraphrase he said ge is big strong, can win jump balls, runs great routes and "is probably the best blocking WR in the draft."

He said he expects Floyd to be a "top 12" pick so if you take the early "IF it wasn't for. . ." Talent wise you're getting an elite skilled WR at#10 that dropped because of off the field stuff a la Randy Moss and Dez Bryant.

In my humblest of opinions.....I think we're going Floyd or Gilmore. I think either of these players are plugged in from day one and contribute immediately.

The value just doesn't seem to be there with the other culprits (Ingram, Upshaw, Coples, Martin, Reif, Kuechly, Tannehill).

DeCastro? I can't kill the pick as most seem to think his play is eventually Pro Bowl caliber. But to draft a guard at the pick....?

Gun to my head? It'll be Gilmore. A good pick.

I dont think floyd is top 10 talent in this draft. There really isnt a standout player to me this year after pick 7. AFter that they are all in the 16-25 range. Go watch some route running of floyd on you tube and he doesnt get any seperation from the db. That is one big problem i think in my eyes. Yea he can win the jump ball but do you want your reciever fighting for the ball everytime thrown to him. I would rather wait until the 2nd round to get the likes of jeffery, randel or if a bill fan can hope...I really like stephan hill in the second.

Mike Mayock said when it comes to the tape Michael Floyd is just as good as Blackmon.

He went in to say "If it wasn't for. . . He has struggled with alcohol . . . Listen when you look at the tape . . ." to paraphrase he said he is a big, strong, can win jump balls, runs great routes and "is probably the best blocking WR in the draft."

He said he expects Floyd to be a "top 12" pick so if you take the early "IF it wasn't for. . ." to the bext logical step, talent wise you're getting an elite, skilled WR at #10 that dropped because of off the field stuff a la Randy Moss and Dez Bryant.

I recall the Mayock sentiments on Gabbert last year and am unimpressed. I'll wait to see the opinions of those who evaluate talent for a living.

That doesn't mean Floyd isn't good, or worthy of a top-twelve pick, it just means there may be another WR who is getting less press picked before him, another WR who is getting less press picked mmediately after him, and a long gap between Blackmon and Floyd in the draft orderwith Floyd going much lower than 12

Edited by Hopeful

I dont think floyd is top 10 talent in this draft. There really isnt a standout player to me this year after pick 7. AFter that they are all in the 16-25 range. Go watch some route running of floyd on you tube and he doesnt get any seperation from the db. That is one big problem i think in my eyes. Yea he can win the jump ball but do you want your reciever fighting for the ball everytime thrown to him. I would rather wait until the 2nd round to get the likes of jeffery, randel or if a bill fan can hope...I really like stephan hill in the second.

i think this is why teams !@#$ up drafts IMO - this logic right here. Floyd was dominant for 4 years, while Hill has 49 career catches. Yet because you've deemed Floyd as someone who "can't get separation", you'd rather take a player who hasn't really show much at all and is a huge gamble.

Not to go at you man, but I obviously couldn't disagree more. Floyd ran in the low 4.4s. His 3700 receiving yards and 37 TDs show his separation is okay.

Stephen Hill simply ran real fast and jumped real far and high in his underwear and at his pro day ran scripted routes for a few minutes against air.

He has no tape. He played in a run first, run second, and run third offense. His job was to run by defenders when they put 10 in the box.

His high is 28 catches in a season.

Stephen Hill had a great combine but is a completely raw WR project that would take years to possibly develop into anything decent in the NFL.

Before the combine he was a 7th round / UDFA prospect.

I don't believe actual NFL GMs have moved him that high up on their board.

Since the Raiders don't pick until the 5th I doubt Stephen Hill goes in the first 50 picks.

Stephen Hill is exactly the kind of prospects the Bills need to stay away from with their first 3 picks. A project that won't contribute until 2015, if that.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Stephen Hill simply ran real fast and jumped real far and high in his underwear and at his pro day ran scripted routes for a few minutes against air.

He has no tape. He played in a run first, run second, and run third offense. His job was to run by defenders when they put 10 in the box.

His high is 28 catches in a season.

Stephen Hill had a great combine but is a completely raw WR project that would take years to possibly develop into anything decent in the NFL.

Before the combine he was a 7th round / UDFA prospect.

I don't believe actual NFL GMs have moved him that high up on their board.

Since the Raiders don't pick until the 5th I doubt Stephen Hill goes in the first 50 picks.

Stephen Hill is exactly the kind of prospects the Bills need to stay away from with their first 3 picks. A project that won't contribute until 2015, if that.

Talent has never been the issue with Floyd; at least not in my opinion.

I've always been of the opinion that--when a player has off-field incidents--it should raise a red flag with the FO. However, that doesn't mean you don't draft the guy, but rather that you need to make significantly more effort to get comfortable with his character and maturity level if you're serious about drafting him. If Nix and Gailey have done so for Floyd, and feel comfortable, then I'm all for it.

As to Hill, I understand your point, but I think you are over-stating things. I believe he was more likely a 3rd-4th round prospect pre-combine, and now he'll definitely go in the top 35 picks. I'm not sure that's wrong either...it's not that teams will draft him specifically based off of his combine numbers, but rather that his impressive numbers make teams go back and watch more of his on-field performance. While his opportunities were limited, he was very impressive in terms of his speed and physicality, so it doesn't really surprise me that he's a rising prospect.

Just my 1 cent...

My personal bias against anything Notre Dame skews my perspective of Floyd. However, as I understand it, he did a huge personal transformation this year at ND: moved back into a dorm, normal dorm, not the athletes baby sitting house like so many big time programs have; submitted to some careful restrictions the coach staff put on him; and, went out and led by his attitude and performance on the field. He is starting to grow on me. Might be the perfect compliment to Stevie.

I'm a Notre Dame fan, so I've seen a good amount of Michael Floyd. I've never seen him take over a game like I saw Blackmon take over the Fiesta Bowl against Stanford. Of course it's just one game and you can't judge a career on one game, but if I had the choIce it'd be Blackmon and it wouldn't be close.

Edited by Dr. Fong

In my humblest of opinions.....I think we're going Floyd or Gilmore. I think either of these players are plugged in from day one and contribute immediately.

The value just doesn't seem to be there with the other culprits (Ingram, Upshaw, Coples, Martin, Reif, Kuechly, Tannehill).

DeCastro? I can't kill the pick as most seem to think his play is eventually Pro Bowl caliber. But to draft a guard at the pick....?

Gun to my head? It'll be Gilmore. A good pick.

I think it is more likely the team goes with Dre Kirkpatrick in 1, Stephen Hill in 2, and whoever is left at tackle in rounds 3 or 4.

I have no idea how Floyd will do in the NFL. I am concerned about the Bills selecting players with questionable characters, which is something they have done in the last ten years.

I know people were upset that the Bills selected Spiller, but the Bills drafted Spiller because of the problems with Lynch, who had alcohol problems, i.e. hit an run.

McGahee, Henry, Mike Williams, James Hardy, all had character issues of one sort or another. I would rather have John Fina then Marshawn Lynch. I believe that the Bills are trying to build a team first before getting a franchise quarterback, a similiar strategy that the Steelers had before Rothlesberger. Get a left tackle so a young quarterback can develop in case Fitz doesn't improve, or to improve the chances that he does improve.

Wide receivers are a lot easier to find than left tackles, especially since there will be more in the later rounds. I really hope that this isn't going to be another year where the Bills neglect the tackle position again.

I have no idea how Floyd will do in the NFL. I am concerned about the Bills selecting players with questionable characters, which is something they have done in the last ten years.

I know people were upset that the Bills selected Spiller, but the Bills drafted Spiller because of the problems with Lynch, who had alcohol problems, i.e. hit an run.

McGahee, Henry, Mike Williams, James Hardy, all had character issues of one sort or another. I would rather have John Fina then Marshawn Lynch. I believe that the Bills are trying to build a team first before getting a franchise quarterback, a similiar strategy that the Steelers had before Rothlesberger. Get a left tackle so a young quarterback can develop in case Fitz doesn't improve, or to improve the chances that he does improve.

Wide receivers are a lot easier to find than left tackles, especially since there will be more in the later rounds. I really hope that this isn't going to be another year where the Bills neglect the tackle position again.

Who is this tackle that is worthy of the #10 overall? Or does it not matter?

i think this is why teams !@#$ up drafts IMO - this logic right here. Floyd was dominant for 4 years, while Hill has 49 29 career catches. Yet because you've deemed Floyd as someone who "can't get separation", you'd rather take a player who hasn't really show much at all and is a huge gamble.

Not to go at you man, but I obviously couldn't disagree more. Floyd ran in the low high 4.4s. His 3700 receiving yards and 37 TDs show his separation is okay.

Fixed it. You're welcome.

My comments on Blackmon vs Floyd. Floyd might be available at the #10 pick. Blackmon won't. If we go offense Floyd is probably the best pick but I still don't know what you do about the LT position. Even if Bell resigns we would be rotating an undrafted FA and a 2nd year 4th round pick at the LT spot because of the injuries that Bell suffers every year.

We need to fix that spot somehow. Maybe it doesn't have to be in the first round but if you are looking for a day 1 starter the first round is the best place to look.

i think this is why teams !@#$ up drafts IMO - this logic right here. Floyd was dominant for 4 years, while Hill has 49 career catches. Yet because you've deemed Floyd as someone who "can't get separation", you'd rather take a player who hasn't really show much at all and is a huge gamble.

Not to go at you man, but I obviously couldn't disagree more. Floyd ran in the low 4.4s. His 3700 receiving yards and 37 TDs show his separation is okay.

No big deal thats why i started those comments but let me tell you this. We drafted a guy who had 3 years in college had roughly 2700 yards 36 td's...anyone know who i am talking about? James Hardy those numbers look dominant too...its not what you did in college its how you transfer to the NFL. I see stephan hill transfering better then floyd. If bills take floyd i hope he makes me eat my own words but i dont want him at 10. Rather draft him after late teens early 20's.

I am really warming up to Gilmore. As Mayock put it- tall, durable, fast CBs with cover ability are coveted by NFL teams. And for those with character concerns about Floyd, Gilmore is a vocal leader and good kid from what I read

Not to mention, Gilmore and Williams would be a nasty CB combo for years to come. Couple that with our new fearsome dline and Byrd and company should produce mucho turnovers

I'm a Notre Dame fan, so I've seen a good amount of Michael Floyd. I've never seen him take over a game like I saw Blackmon take over the Fiesta Bowl against Stanford. Of course it's just one game and you can't judge a career on one game, but if I had the choIce it'd be Blackmon and it wouldn't be close.

um....... This^^^^^

I'll admit I've never watched a single play of Floyds so I really can't say je compares or not. I just wanted to chime in and say I've never seen a WR just take over a game and personally win a game for his team like Blackmon did. The kid is going to be really special in this league. Barring injuries of course I'd expect a TO, Boldin, Moulds type of career or better, ok, maybe not better than TO.

I am not in a position to say whether we should take him with the 10th pick as opposed to others based on any extensive personal knowledge. The few times I saw him play, he looked pretty good.

I do think that -- presuming he is a top 10 talent -- it will indeed come down to how Buddy and the Bills view his character. I also cannot evaluate that issue based on the few things I have read. Nevertheless, I have noticed that, since Buddy took over, the Bills seem to put a premium on character. If they are not satisfied that he has overcome whatever "character issue" he may have had, I do not see them picking him with the 10th pick in the draft. On the other hand, if they are satisfied that he has resolved whatever issue it is, it will come down to how they evaluate his talent.

P.S. I have a high regard for Mike Mayock. I know that there are people on this board who like to bash him and will cite to this guy or that guy. Yet, the "professionals" often get it wrong. Just go back and look at the players who were taken in the first round over the course of history. It is eye opening to look at that in retrospect.

Whether or not we draft a WR in the 1st round depends on how Nix & Gailey view Marcus Easley. If they feel that Easley is the answer, they will pass on WR in the 1st round. If they feel that Easley is risky, they MAY go WR in the 1st. Just my 2 cents.

Exactly. A guy watches a youtube video and determines Floyd "can't get separation". Too funny. I watched every single play he made at ND and getting separation was one of the things he was always praised about. Amazing how this guy thinks it is the dead opposite. Ha.

Your criticism of Floyd applies to a lot of big WRs including Plax, coulstom and v Jackson. They make catches by winning physical matchups. The guys who have the potential to get measurable separation are smaller speed guys like lee Evans in his prime and DeSean Jackson

Your criticism of Floyd applies to a lot of big WRs including Plax, coulstom and v Jackson. They make catches by winning physical matchups. The guys who have the potential to get measurable separation are smaller speed guys like lee Evans in his prime and DeSean Jackson

I like your point...if floyd turns out to be like a plax or vjax then i am all for that pick. I just dont see him being that big of a game breaker right away..and at 10 thtas what you need to get. I just cant seem to find a guy that i like at 10....All the top tier talent are picks 1-7. After that everyone is being a capable starter in the nfl i just dont see talent there to deem a top 10 pick. Even though we are stuck at 10 unless we trade down... then im all for picking up floyd, or reiff, or ingram, perry..etc...

You have very low football IQ then. I watched every snap of every game he played and he got separation from the best cbs they played, though he was often facing doubles. You watched the combine on NFL network and fell in love with a workout warrior with 0 college production.

Whether or not we draft a WR in the 1st round depends on how Nix & Gailey view Marcus Easley. If they feel that Easley is the answer, they will pass on WR in the 1st round. If they feel that Easley is risky, they MAY go WR in the 1st. Just my 2 cents.

I just don't know how one can rely on Easley after the way his past two seasons have ended. You actually have to view him more skeptically than Merriman, who has at least had some NFL success. I would love to see the kid excel in the NFL but if Nix and co. are betting on this, I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

+ 100 %. Those Hill bashers have to remember that they didn't throw the ball !!!! Floyd would have had Hill's stats if he played @ Georgia Tech. That being said, I would draft Floyd before Hill but neither one @ #10. In fact I would be much happier to get Juron Criner. I rewatched the combine on Tuesday and he was very impressive in and out of his cuts etc. Good hands and good size. Take him in the third he may be better than either one of these cats !! :thumbsup:

+1 Obviously Floyd is just a guy compared to Blackmon IMO.Fitzgerald to Crabtree type comparison. Football player to prima donna....

I like your point...if floyd turns out to be like a plax or vjax then i am all for that pick. I just dont see him being that big of a game breaker right away..and at 10 thtas what you need to get. I just cant seem to find a guy that i like at 10....All the top tier talent are picks 1-7. After that everyone is being a capable starter in the nfl i just dont see talent there to deem a top 10 pick. Even though we are stuck at 10 unless we trade down... then im all for picking up floyd, or reiff, or ingram, perry..etc...

I agree none of the projected players sound worthy of a 10. But if you look historically 10 may not be as juicy as it sounds. IMO last year for example the really big names were off the board at 5 when cards drafted Peterson. 2nd best WR jones went 6th. 10 was gabbert who was a so-so NFL prospect.

Unless we trade up (which I highly doubt) only way I see one of the real marquees falling to us this year is browns and Miami both reaching for QBs. Add in another unexpected reach and our 10 becomes more like a 7th and maybe a Claiborne is on the board. Otherwise I see us going with Floyd, yeah it's anywhere from 7-10 spots too high, but everyone else will see it similarly and no one will trade up to get our 10th.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The Raiders received a 3rd round compensatory pick but Al Davis is no longer around so Hill may no longer be their type of pick.

Been said it.... I wonder how many college kids on avergae get DUI's ...how many adults get them? In his senior year he had his best year with no issues on or off the field....you live you learn... steal if he is till there

None of my friends got them in college. And I was in New Orleans. The fact that he has 3 incidents, knowing what was on the table, is worrisome. The fact that despite those he's in the discussion top ten, speaks volumes to his talent.

Fixed it. You're welcome.

not sure if you're trying to be a dick, or if it just comes natural.

here's a link to Hill's 49 career catches. took me 2 seconds to find.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/483021/stephen-hill

and here's a link to floyd's 4.42 combine time. took me 4 seconds to find.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d82736c7b/Michael-Floyd-40-yard-dash

Edited by deep2evans

None of my friends got them in college. And I was in New Orleans. The fact that he has 3 incidents, knowing what was on the table, is worrisome. The fact that despite those he's in the discussion top ten, speaks volumes to his talent.

Get some fun friends, for crissakes. :beer:

Just for argument sake, here are a few numbers. It doesn't prove anything and there are all kinds of factors, but it's grist for the mill.

Notre Dame threw 473 passes last year. Michael Floyd caught 100 of them, a fabulous amount, which is about 1 in 5 pass attempts, for an 11.5 YPC

Oklahoma State threw 595 passes. Justin Blackmon caught a ridiculous amount of 121 balls, which is also about 1 in 5 pass attempts, for a 12.6 YPC

Georgia Tech threw a total of 163 passes. Stephen Hill caught 28 of them, which is about 1 in 6 pass attempts, for an astounding 29.3 YPC

After Floyd receivers drop down quite a bit. It's not that deep of a draft for WRs like everyone's saying. Blackmon Floyd and wright will be gone in the first. That leaves hill Jeffery and sanu. That's only 3 left! I have a feeling once Floyd goes wrights gonna go soon after then WRs are just gonna start going a lot faster. I say we pick one before we EnD up getting stuck with a prospect receiver

Edited by sharebear

Just for argument sake, here are a few numbers. It doesn't prove anything and there are all kinds of factors, but it's grist for the mill.

Notre Dame threw 473 passes last year. Michael Floyd caught 100 of them, a fabulous amount, which is about 1 in 5 pass attempts, for an 11.5 YPC

Oklahoma State threw 595 passes. Justin Blackmon caught a ridiculous amount of 121 balls, which is also about 1 in 5 pass attempts, for a 12.6 YPC

Georgia Tech threw a total of 163 passes. Stephen Hill caught 28 of them, which is about 1 in 6 pass attempts, for an astounding 29.3 YPC

I don't watch a ton of college ball anymore, but only 163 passes all year? WOW!

My only issue with Hill is his small body of work to look at and that scares me, at #10 I think you really need a player with Buddy's requirement of a couple good years worth of production. Even if it worked out where HIll caught 20% of the passes like the other 2, yes percentage wise it is the same; but the shear difference catches and pass attempts does give me some pause. It isn't as simple as saying ok, well if we assume that the GT QB threw 3x's as many passes, Hill's catches should increase by that amount. (I know that is obvious - am just saying).

Personally I am all for Floyd when it comes to the WRs. He has every physical attribute and skill we are looking for. Good hands, big frame, can run through a DB, great run blocker, can run all the routes, lined up in all WR positions, can run all the routes. If he is there, it is really hard to pass him up. I still expect Jax or the Phins to snag him. I have a feeling that the WRs in this draft are going to be the first run that happens and there will be a fair amount of reaching for this position.

Edit: I forgot to add this, the one thing Floyd did was to take the steps to make sure that his drinking was not an issue again. That shows a degree of maturity that other draft prospects haven't. The kid got busted for underage drinking twice and got a DUI. It is college, he is a student athlete - this stuff does happen. He isn't like Janoris Jenkins and got kicked out of school, has a small army of children from different mothers, etc. I am not condoning his DUI, but it happens in college all the time. I know he should know better and blah blah blah. Not saying it was peer pressure, but it can be tough to go to a party or bar night with your friends and they are all drinking...Again he showed signs of maturity & responsibility and took action to make sure it wasn't an issue...and it wasn't.

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder