Sick of media bias

ALLEN1QB

I was watching NFL Network and ESPN yesterday and all they talked about is how we overpaid for Mario and how we need to draft a QB because Fitz sucks. If the Cowboys, Steelers or New England would have landed him they would be talking about what a great move and they will go all the way now. Instead I hear the good teams like Green Bay dont usually go after free agents they build within. Give me a freaken break!

I wasn't glued to the ESPN's or NFL channel, but what I did see wasn't that bad. I saw Clayton speak and was actually surprised he didn't diss the Bills - he didn't look overly enthused but that could be his norm

Cuz he hates the bills. Even Bruschi was giving the Bills credit for the signing which was music to my ear holes.

The three teams you mentioned all arguably have better QBs. (Though, Romo not nearly as much)

They've all had recent success.

How is that biased? We have a lot of holes, we filled one. Those other teams are much stronger and if they landed him those teams are looking like locks for deep playoff runs.

Instead, we landed him, and we'll still be lucky to get a winning record unless we add some quality depth to multiple positions.

I love the Bills as much as the next guy, but c'mon, be objective. We have a 10-22 record the last two years, we lack depth in multiple positions. Expectations will be low until we have a team that wins more consistently.

I was watching NFL Network and ESPN yesterday and all they talked about is how we overpaid for Mario and how we need to draft a QB because Fitz sucks. If the Cowboys, Steelers or New England would have landed him they would be talking about what a great move and they will go all the way now. Instead I hear the good teams like Green Bay dont usually go after free agents they build within. Give me a freaken break!

Green bay Started to become great when the signed Reggie White I laughed out loud when I heard they build within hell Brett Farve was a trade from Atlanta

Who gives a sh*t! What have the Bills done to deserve any attention? Mario doesn't erase 10-22. Seriously, I love the Mario signing as much as anybody but the Bills haven't won a game with him have they? FA isn't over, the draft is a month away and the season starts in 5+ months. When it's week 8 and the Bills have 6 wins on the board you will get the attention that so many of you desperately need. Until then, the job isn't even close to being over.

I can tell you the folk who run Walterfootball hate the Bills. Never a good word. But I do agree with above comments. The media will only give the Bills love AFTER they do something.

Funny thing tho....the Chicago Tribune didn't even report the Mario Williams signing. What's up with that?

Same thing today. Skip Bayless and Mangenius said it was pretty much a PR move and that we over paid. What BS. Same old same old from the national media.

The three teams you mentioned all arguably have better QBs. (Though, Romo not nearly as much)

How is that biased? We have a lot of holes, we filled one. Those other teams are much stronger and if they landed him those teams are looking like locks for deep playoff runs.

Instead, we landed him, and we'll still be lucky to get a winning record unless we add some quality depth to multiple positions.

I love the Bills as much as the next guy, but c'mon, be objective. We have a 10-22 record the last two years, we lack depth in multiple positions. Expectations will be low until we have a team that wins more consistently.

Adding depth is easy. Adding starters isn't. It doesn't take much to add depth. We have what, 9 picks in the draft? That should be more than enough. Defense is fine now, though I think they are taking a bit of a risk having shep start at mlb with his limited experience. Nice player, but he played like a rookie still and I'm not sure he is ready. Offense needs an lt and another wr, but other than those, it is just some depth players we need. But grabbing depth isn't that hard to find and it isn't like they are going to command a high salary. I think they can fix most, if not all the holes via the draft if they draft like they did last year

I may get some hate for saying this but NY media and Jet fans seem to be being decent to us, congratulating us and being fair. As far as Boston and national media it does seem to me that not only we have been irrelevant we still are irrevelant but that the like us that way and want us to stay that way. They talk about s like we are second rate people in Buffalo and only losers live here, and i hate that. I hate Brady and all of the other bashers of our beloved home, screw you tommy and all you haters.

Same thing today. Skip Bayless and Mangenius said it was pretty much a PR move and that we over paid. What BS. Same old same old from the national media.

I think we did overpay, but I don't think that makes it bad. We aren't an attractive place to sign with, so we typically do have to overpay. I don't think there is a non qb in this league worth that contract, but I think he will improve us a lot which is better than not having him.

Well, you can look at it (like every other negative thing in life) in one of two ways:

1- we deserve some basic respect because the media gives it to everyone else, give it to us!

2- Screw the media. We can't force them to love us. The only way to get them to stop ignoring us is to be so good they have to talk about us.

I think we did overpay, but I don't think that makes it bad. We aren't an attractive place to sign with, so we typically do have to overpay. I don't think there is a non qb in this league worth that contract, but I think he will improve us a lot which is better than not having him.

Overpay is when you pay someone more than they are worth, it is a subjective term.

The Bills paid what they had to to secure a marquee player. Nix obviously didn't think he was overpaying.

It is easy to see why some might think that way though, 100 million for 6 years is a staggering amount of money when you think about it. Unless my math is wrong, that's 16.67 million per season. Or put another way, greater than 1 million dollars per regular season game. Just think about that for a minute, that's for one player, and a defensive lineman to boot. Some are going to think that is paying too much, it's their opinion. Not to mention the 50 million guaranteed. It is easy to see why Mr. Williams was all smiles, as was his fiancee I would imagine! :)

I'm guessing 32 fan bases all think the media hates their team. On almost every subject they'll have one guy say something positive and another say something negative; this was no different. As fans we tend to only, or at least mostly notice the negative stuff.

the problem is not backups

the problem is lack of playmakers at most positions on the team

Decades of average drafting puts any team light years ahead of the Bills recent history. I love the build through the draft philosophy as much as anyone but when you need a serious playmaker and you have the money, you have to step into the breach for better or worse. None of us are getting any younger, and the longer it takes to make the playoffs the older and more expensive our home grown talent becomes. I look at it this way. If MW shows up to camp and does what he does best and stays healthy, that money he gets paid makes all the money invested in the rest of the line, front seven, and the secondary that much more effectively spent. Dareus and Kyle will get paid what they get paid, but a healthy Mario will dramatically improve the return of those investments. The best way to look at his contract is to average the starters salaries on the line and measure how influential that unit was in the outcome of the game. 3 years from now lesser players will get Mario money playing DE, count on it.

Edited by RealityCheck

Who gives a sh*t! What have the Bills done to deserve any attention? Mario doesn't erase 10-22. Seriously, I love the Mario signing as much as anybody but the Bills haven't won a game with him have they? FA isn't over, the draft is a month away and the season starts in 5+ months. When it's week 8 and the Bills have 6 wins on the board you will get the attention that so many of you desperately need. Until then, the job isn't even close to being over.

bingo

Green bay Started to become great when the signed Reggie White I laughed out loud when I heard they build within hell Brett Farve was a trade from Atlanta

Totally agree!!! GB added Reggie, Brett, and Keith Jackson, Keith Byars too . . . probably others (Beebe!)

The point is you need to use FA with discretion - Buddy taught us that lesson, by not going the FA route the last 2 yrs because we were too far away. Now we take Mario because we are closer.

Totally agree!!! GB added Reggie, Brett, and Keith Jackson, Keith Byars too . . . probably others (Beebe!)

The point is you need to use FA with discretion - Buddy taught us that lesson, by not going the FA route the last 2 yrs because we were too far away. Now we take Mario because we are closer.

I can't resist the temptation to ask...

Thoughts on what we might do at #10?

that's because they have QBs

Boomer was pretty high on the Bills. I think the OP should re title this thread "overreaction by Bills fan".

A Bills fan over reacting i don't know that i have ever heard of such a thing .. Bills fans always seem so - so calm & collected :doh::blink: !!