Signing Vincent Jackson In FA Would Be a Franchise Changer

It's looking like VJ will hit the FA market. This is my #1 free-agent for the Bills realistically. Adding him to our offense would be so dynamic and would complement our offense so well. We would be basically set going forward with our offense.

Signing a guy like VJ, we could definitely just focus on DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE in the draft, stockpiling young players for Wansteedt to fix our defense.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can sign him to a contract similar to Stevie, I'm all for it. I'm sure he'd be a little pricier, but it would change our team, I agree. I'd go OT in rd1 then defense the rest of the way

No thanks.

I often wonder why Bills' fans say things like this. I mean, having a pro bowl caliber receiver would be awful wouldn't it?

I know they will never sign him, but would welcome it if they did. If there's one thing the Bills need more of, it's talent.

I don't have that high an opinion for VJ. I think that signing Mario Williams would be a franchise altering signing. IMO, MW has more talent, more opportunities and delivers more game-changing play than VJ. Our DL would suddenly make Kelsey look good.

VJ is a good player, but not "franchise altering."

Edited by Mark Long Beach

Didn't he have a couple run-ins with the law and suspended for violating the league's personal conduct policy?

I didn't think that kind of behavior was tolerated on the Bills by the fans? See Lynch, Marshawn ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

No thanks.

This ^. Great down field threat, below average everything else. Makes big plays, but is extremely inconsistent.

for the right price.

Nix knows him. So does merriman.

If they think he fits into this team well i am all for it. I know Buddy wont over pay for him.

I really like what Nix has done so far, but his "experiments" with former SD players hasn't worked out too well. Buster Davis was, well, a bust. The Merriman adventure has yet to produce anything, and I think signing an expensive, overrated WR like Jackson would be following in those foot steps...

No doubt the Bills still need a good WR opposite SJ though. I'd prefer a good all around WR like Garcon, but we do need someone.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

It's looking like VJ will hit the FA market. This is my #1 free-agent for the Bills realistically. Adding him to our offense would be so dynamic and would complement our offense so well. We would be basically set going forward with our offense.

Signing a guy like VJ, we could definitely just focus on DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE in the draft, stockpiling young players for Wansteedt to fix our defense.

This in no way shape or form is going to happen !! It's as likely to happen as you sleeping with Faith Hill it just ain't gonna happen !! The Bills may spend money on keeping their own , which to be true kind of surprised me but signing VJ or Mario Williams --- your dreaming especially seeing as we have Chandler , F Jackson , Bell , Urbik , & others to resign !!

Plus they still have to have money to sign rookies . They may sign some one like the guy from Dallas that's going to be a FA or Meacham ,or lower tear WR but VJ is just a fantasy !! 0:)

No thanks.

Quite articulate.

Please back up things like "no thanks" when a poster has a somewhat-logical point.

No thanks...VJ's downfield speed isn't what it used to be?

No thanks...VJ's playing style wouldn't compliment Gailey's spread system?

No thanks...he's just too damn good and as a Bills fan unfairly subjected to years of mediocrity, I can't take thinking about the possibility of having a game-changing offense?

Edited by JustinAtlanta

Vincent Jackson would be a question mark in my opinion. He comes from a very poorly coached team. He also strikes me as the type who is looking for a big contract and then might decide to get too comfortable. He has great opportunities in San Diego to go deep into the playoffs and he was always complaining. Does he even fit that well with Gailey's spread offense?

Mario Williams is the only sure thing franchise changing free agent. He will be the highest paid defense free agent ever so id say he's out. I thought Avril would have been the Bills most high end possibility but he just received the tag.

If they go big early in free agency i hope its a corner.

I would love to see the Bills sign V Jax, but it is reportedly going to take 10-12m per year to get it done, I would rather have that big money spent on a defensive game changer (DE or LB) and sign a mid-tier WR like Meacham, Robinsson or Garcon (or just draft one in Rd 2)

Quite articulate.

Please back up things like "no thanks" when a poster has a somewhat-logical point.

No thanks...VJ's downfield speed isn't what it used to be?

No thanks...VJ's playing style wouldn't compliment Gailey's spread system?

No thanks...he's just too damn good and as a Bills fan unfairly subjected to years of mediocrity, I can't take thinking about the possibility of having a game-changing offense?

I believe the "no thanks" response is a defense mechanism that should be used more often by bills fans. In recent years I have been frustrated by the bills lack of involvement during free agency. If I had simply said "no thanks" during every free agent discussion I participated in, I would have probably been happier. All kidding aside, I hope this is the years when Buffalo does go after some talent at positions of need.

Take a look at the other teams likely to be involved in the Jackson sweepstakes. Our analysis should begin and end by realizing the Redskins want him. They overspend and we don't. He is likely to command around 10M. We aren't going to give him that.

for the right price.

Nix knows him. So does merriman.

If they think he fits into this team well i am all for it. I know Buddy wont over pay for him.

Too expensive. Way too expensive to tie that kind of $$ up at the WR position. Won't happen unless VJ gives a deal (which he won't) . Forget it.

Although VJ would be an improvement to the team in a big way....there is no way the Buffalo Bills lure the guy to this team as he wants to much money and also wants to go to a serious contender.

There are so many teams that want this guy. SF-Vikings-Panthers- Patriots- Rams - Redskins..the list is almost endless

Chicage Bears http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/bears-expected-to-make-run-at-free-agent-vincent-jackson/

Look, I don't think anyone is going to deny that we an infusion of talent at WR. At this point Stevie is our only real threat. That said, we better get a damn good deal on VJ to make it worth it. This is something that we can fix with a 2nd round pick. Our offense is built off of spreading the field and letting Fitz hit whoever is hot. While it would be nice to have the worry out of the way, I've got to put more priority on picking up some people for our D-line.

As the owner of Phillip Rivers in a dynasty league, I've watched quite a bit of Vincent Jackson.

Although I think he could add a much needed downfield threat to the offense, I would be nervous to throw out the money he's going to demand.

1) Like Lee Evans, V-Jax is a one-dimensional player. He's a downfield threat and that's about it.

2) He's also a big "ME-FIRST" player. Once he gets that free-agent payday, I could see his effort go down the toilet.

This ^. Great down field threat, below average everything else. Makes big plays, but is extremely inconsistent.

I really like what Nix has done so far, but his "experiments" with former SD players hasn't worked out too well. Buster Davis was, well, a bust. The Merriman adventure has yet to produce anything, and I think signing an expensive, overrated WR like Jackson would be following in those foot steps...

No doubt the Bills still need a good WR opposite SJ though. I'd prefer a good all around WR like Garcon, but we do need someone.

I would rather have M. Wallace (someone who the pats covet). If we can take him from under the Pats that would be Franchise altering. Beat your division first and the playoffs are butter.

With Stevie signed....it would be nice, but unlikely...of course most of us would love to see this happen, I just don't think the BILLS commit that much money to the WR position in one year....although I would have much preferred the BILLS to utilize the Tag on SJ for one season so he could prove his maturity has come of age, but this deal is good for both sides so I can't really complain...however, I think the next money spent should be on a DE and then a WR, VJax would be nice, but honestly I would be happier with a great DE and another solid WR, not necessarily Pro Bowl Star WR, just a very good complimentary, team-oriented WR who is unselfish and team first mentality with good hands and speed....yeah, I know...keep wishing

is Jackson really good at catching short dump offs?

with an OL than can not pass block, that's the longest pass Fitz is able to complete before getting buried

I would love it if the Bills had Jackson. But he doesn't fit the system, IMO. He is a deep threat and deep is not something Ryan Fitzpatrick does very well.

I know a bigger target would help that, but is it worth $10-$15M per season to have a guy play jumpball with Fitz erratic chucks?

I am not opposed to spending Ralph Wilson's money but I think VJ would struggle to justify his contract with a short range passer as his QB.