Signing Vincent Jackson In FA Would Be a Franchise Changer

This ^. Great down field threat, below average everything else. Makes big plays, but is extremely inconsistent.

I really like what Nix has done so far, but his "experiments" with former SD players hasn't worked out too well. Buster Davis was, well, a bust. The Merriman adventure has yet to produce anything, and I think signing an expensive, overrated WR like Jackson would be following in those foot steps...

No doubt the Bills still need a good WR opposite SJ though. I'd prefer a good all around WR like Garcon, but we do need someone.

LOL.. Buster Davis never even made the team.. he was brought in as a camp body.. VJ is a completely different story. The guy can go up and get the ball.. something none of our other receivers seem to be able to do.

Edited by markinsd

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you freaking imagine Johnson and Nelson to the right, VJ to the left. AND Freddie and Spiller in the backfield on 2nd and 3? Fitz drops back to pass........how in the hell do you even attempt to cover all five of those guys?

you mean PFT reports that a san diego source expects the bills to possibly pursue VJ?

I am in the camp that we don't need him and would rather us target a lower-tier WR and spend money elsewhere

Who cares if the source came from San Diego?

A guy who has averaged 17.5 yards per catch in his career? Nahhhh we don't need anyone like that. We have Donald mf'n Jones!!

Edited by cantankerous

Wasting no time after locking down Steve Johnson to a 5 year 36.25 mil deal, the Bills are reported to be pursuing Vincent Jackson, which is something Sniper was hot on the trail of a little while back.

VJ had a nice bounce back last season after the prior year’s snafu with AJ Smith, pulling in 9 TDs on 1106 yards. But the stat that really stands out about this guy is his 18.4 YPC , which was good for 6th in the league. What’s kind of got lost in all the rabbling about Steve Johnson’s live art post td performances is what kind of a receiver he is. Steve Johnson is an decent but not special athlete who is a phenomenal route runner who consistently makes the case that Revis Island is really should be considered more of a cape. But what he isn’t particularly good at is testing defenses deep down the field. If you remember when the offense started sputtering last year, you know that it was when Rex Ryan figured out you didn’t need to play cover-2 and could completely neutralize the defense by punking receivers at the line.

Smash it here for the rest.

This is an interesting situation for Buddy. How can he offer more to VJ than what he just signed SJ? No room to neogtiate. Maybe that is a blessing. He can say here is the same contract take it or leave it. A WR corps of VJ, SJ, Easley, Nelson, and Jones would look pretty good - on paper.

Could you freaking imagine Johnson and Nelson to the right, VJ to the left. AND Freddie and Spiller in the backfield on 2nd and 3? Fitz drops back to pass........how in the hell do you even attempt to cover all five of those guys?

LOL, and who takes the the ensuing INT back 80 yards for a touchdown? Look, this is just my opinion, but giving Fitz more weapons is like buying granny smith apples for toothless man. Furthermore, Vincent Jackson DOES NOT want to leave California. -Not for B-lo. If V-Jax isn't a Bolt next season, he's destined to be either a Raider or a Niner. This team's interests are far better served by trying to retain the talent that produced for us last season. (Fred Jackson, Scott Chandler). I wouldn't mind a little more interest in Matt Flynn, either.

No thanks.

Yeah I agree. No friggin thank you! I mean come on! Who wants a tall 6 foot 5 inch receiver that can run, out jump anybody and is still young enough to put in a good 5-6 year contract. You guys are out of your minds! 'Stupid Bills fans'. Right BuffOrange?

I don't know if we have a shot at VJ. The guy wanted to be paid #1 WR money, especially like a Top-5 WR...That is a 50M investment. Not sure if we will burn that kind of cash at the WR position after paying for Stevie. I will be happy if we can go after a Robert Meachum. The wild card is going to be to figure out what they are going to do with Roscoe Parrish and the health condition of Easley.

If you think the Bills will sign a blockbuster free agent like VJ or Mario Williams your having a wet dream. Buffalo will get bargain players on the cheap to fill the voids. Maybe even another Shawn Merriman to ride the bench.

It is what it is.

If you think the Bills will sign a blockbuster free agent like VJ or Mario Williams your having a wet dream. Buffalo will get bargain players on the cheap to fill the voids. Maybe even another Shawn Merriman to ride the bench.

It is what it is.

spinning articles about the pursuit of such free agents is free

actually signing talent is not

it is what the Bills do because the fan base enables it

Merman & Easley with both be be contributors this year plus with a healthily line up that includes Wood, Freddie J., & Williams, this team should be able to make a push for the playoffs if they can get the DE & OLB positions figured out. I still feel that we need to upgrade our backup QB too.

i dont understand the obsession around signing vincent jackson.

for the first half of last season, before our team completely fell apart due to injuries, our offense was top 5 in the league.

we lost our slot receiver, our #2 wideout, starting running back, a good chunk of our oline, and fitz got injured.

put another way: our entire offense was injured.

stevie may not be a "true" number 1 to some people, but if i recall, he was playing much of last season with an injured groin - taking away much of his explosiveness and ability to get separation at the line and go deep.

so why break the bank for another wideout?

our defense was bottom of the league last year. THATS where we should be spending. take the money that would go to jackson and sign 1 marquee free agent or 2 players who could come in and make a difference immediately, and THEN we can talk wild card.

but another wideout? what are we going to do, score 45 instead of 35 points a game? that greatest show on turf stuff falls apart in the playoffs, ESPECIALLY in cold, windy weather. and considering we play all of our home games outside in BUFFALO, and the best teams in our conference (new england, new york, pittsburgh, baltimore, cincy, denver, kansas city,) all play outside in bad weather, it would behoove us to try and build up our defense, not the area of our team that relies on perfectly thrown 40 yard passes.

Why post if you're just going to answer your own questions?

If you can't stop 'em, just throw more touchdowns than them!

:rolleyes:

worked for the patriots(31st), saints(24th)... and generally the giants(27th), who were all bottom of the league in defense. wouldn't be too quick to roll eyes.

i dont understand the obsession around signing vincent jackson.

for the first half of last season, before our team completely fell apart due to injuries, our offense was top 5 in the league.

we lost our slot receiver, our #2 wideout, starting running back, a good chunk of our oline, and fitz got injured.

put another way: our entire offense was injured.

stevie may not be a "true" number 1 to some people, but if i recall, he was playing much of last season with an injured groin - taking away much of his explosiveness and ability to get separation at the line and go deep.

so why break the bank for another wideout?

our defense was bottom of the league last year. THATS where we should be spending. take the money that would go to jackson and sign 1 marquee free agent or 2 players who could come in and make a difference immediately, and THEN we can talk wild card.

but another wideout? what are we going to do, score 45 instead of 35 points a game? that greatest show on turf stuff falls apart in the playoffs, ESPECIALLY in cold, windy weather. and considering we play all of our home games outside in BUFFALO, and the best teams in our conference (new england, new york, pittsburgh, baltimore, cincy, denver, kansas city,) all play outside in bad weather, it would behoove us to try and build up our defense, not the area of our team that relies on perfectly thrown 40 yard passes.

We have a ton of cap space and what's wrong with wanting to score 45 a game? NOTE TO FANS: it's not YOUR money!! If a top player from FA wants to come here, whether he be a punter, WR, OLB, DE or whatever, why not sign him and upgrade your talent?

worked for the patriots(31st), saints(24th)... and generally the giants(27th), who were all bottom of the league in defense. wouldn't be too quick to roll eyes.

Patriots - Brady

Saints - Brees

Giants - Eli Manning

Bills - The Amish Rifle

That's the difference. You can't overcome a crappy defense unless your offense has a stud at QB able to put up big points.