Final 2012 HOF Finalists

papazoid

For Andre, there's always the dreaded Veteran's Committee. Of course, this year they denied Dick Stanfel, which I think is the first one I remember that didn't get in.

Claude Humphrey in 2009 and Marshall Goldberg in 2008.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Chris Carter and Andre Reed can't get in ahead of Doleman, Kennedy or Martin then they will never make it. Chris Doleman especially. Come on. :thumbdown:

I'd say especially Cortez. Doleman is very underrated here.

Yes, this I do not understand. Haley was more of a difference maker, character issues are keeping him out.

While I disagree with Doleman & Kennedy, the Super Bowl rings are irrelevant. A Super Bowl is a team effort, one player does not win a Super Bowl.

Were talking candidate for the hall of crazy. Though a great player, his stories with the niners are unreal. Google it if you aren't totally familiar. It's not right to keep him out on media relations but dear lord he was out there not just in left field but beyond the bleachers, other side of the parking lot and in the hobo camp by the train station with regards to his behavior.

He deserves to be in but.... Wow.

Obviously nsfw, but an example: http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2008/08/charles-haley-would-like-you-to-watch-him-masturbate.html

Edited by NoSaint

Jack Butler

Dermonte Dawson

Chris Doleman

Cortez Kennedy

Curtis Martin

Willie Roaf

Not saying he deserves it, but iIf Willie Roaf got in, wouldn't that mean that Reuben Brown should get in eventually too? Very comparable careers.

What a shame that NONE of the WR got in, especially Andre. Only 6 went in and they could have had a 7th but chose not to. WTF?

It is a shame the Michael Irvin made it in a couple of years ago. Sure he was on three teams that won the super bowl, but Carter, Brown, and Reed would have too had they played on those Dallas teams.

I give Micheal Irvin credit for going OFF on NFL Gameday about the politics that go on in the selection process. While the other guys looked a bit uncomfortable and even tried to lighten the mood by laughing - Irvin said "We gotta stop this maddness... and these guys played with courage! They've taken courage out of the National Football League! Tim Brown, Chris Carter, Andre Reed - they played with courage!" He also talked about how Charles Haley wasn't in and made the valid point that if any QB had five Super Bowl rings they would be in the HoF right away.

They also touched on how there is a maximum of seven inductees allowed per year yet at times like this year they only let in six. (vote percentages) It does seem like a waste... and before anyone argues that rule is to prevent only the best making it in- keep in mind the politics involved. As Irvin points out; if one guy sees the player he wants in not getting the votes he may not vote for someone else's "guy" out of spite more than anything else. Its deplorable but human nature. I read everyone's comments and i see people slamming other deserving inductees because they are angry Reed or someone else wasn't chosen. This is the stuff im sure happens to keep players like Andre out. I just think the whole thing is sad.

Jack Butler

Dermonte Dawson

Chris Doleman

Cortez Kennedy

Curtis Martin

Willie Roaf

You have the gift of hindsight and you are a GM knowing what each player will accomplish in their careers.

Let say all of these players, including Reed, are on the board in this years NFL draft.

Its your pick, who do you take?

I cannot believe that Reed did not get in given this class of players. Kennedy and Doleman ... Really?

Curtis Martin before Reed? Wow.

I'll start off by saying it blows that Andre didn't make it in the HOF again this year & i for one think there needs to be a change to how they choose players & how many go in each year . There needs to be more than just 5 a year because of all the great players that should already be in that aren't .

Why don't they have one player per position like one O line , one D line , LB , Safety , CB , RB , WR , TE , QB , ST .. per year & then choose the best from that crop that way no one position gets left out .. There are so many players like the 3 WR's this year that should be in the hall that way at least one would go & by now because he shouldn't have been passed over this many times for what he did in his career Andre would be in & not passed over because they couldn't decide who to go with because there was 3 ???

Something needs to be done to change the voting on this HOF thing , cause like i read in a article earlier when Andre retired he was #2 in all time receptions behind Jerry Rice but now because they waited so long he is farther down that list so COME ON MAN getAndre in there and the others that belong !!!

Curtis Martin? I guess stats are the key ingredient. I can close my eyes and see OJ, Sanders, Sayers, Smith etc. running the ball. I can't for the life of me conger up an immage of Curtis Martin. He wasn't a game changer (IMO) and he doesn't belong. For him to make it as the only 'skill' offensive player does not work for me.

IMO Brown, Reed and Carter are each more deserving.

Totally agree

You have the gift of hindsight and you are a GM knowing what each player will accomplish in their careers.

Let say all of these players, including Reed, are on the board in this years NFL draft.

Its your pick, who do you take?

I cannot believe that Reed did not get in given this class of players. Kennedy and Doleman ... Really?

Curtis Martin before Reed? Wow.

Totaly agree. C Martin was also first ballot. Didn't Thurman have to wait a year to get in?

2013 -- guard Larry Allen, defensive end Michael Strahan, left tackle Jonathan Ogden, defensive tackle Warren Sapp, quarterback Steve McNair, safety John Lynch, defensive tackle Bryant Young, kicker Morten Andersen.

2014 -- linebacker Derrick Brooks, wideout Marvin Harrison, coaches Tony Dungy and Mike Holmgren, running back Shaun Alexander, and safety Rodney Harrison.

2015 -- left tackles Walter Jones and Orlando Pace, linebacker Junior Seau, quarterback Kurt Warner, cornerback Ty Law, , and running back Edgerrin James.

These are the names of the eligible players coming soon... Allen, Ogden, and Sapp seem all but certain to make it(McNair has the sympathy vote too). Brooks is the only guy from 2014 that IMO is a shoe in. Yes Dungy and Harrison are possibilities. But Dungy may coach again and just like Parcells the HOF voters will wait to see. In 2015 Jones, Pace, and Seau are locks. That leaves only 2 spots for next year for Haley, Parcells, and the three WR's Reed, Brown, and Carter to battle it our. I just can't see Reed making it. Maybe 2014 if they look and say Harrison was more a product of Peyton Manning than he was himself a talent(also that whole shooting in Philadelphia may go against him).

Reed has a better chance of getting in by the NFL increasing the number per year to six or seven than he does competing against these eligible candidates.

I'd say especially Cortez. Doleman is very underrated here.

Were talking candidate for the hall of crazy. Though a great player, his stories with the niners are unreal. Google it if you aren't totally familiar. It's not right to keep him out on media relations but dear lord he was out there not just in left field but beyond the bleachers, other side of the parking lot and in the hobo camp by the train station with regards to his behavior.

He deserves to be in but.... Wow.

Obviously nsfw, but an example: http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2008/08/charles-haley-would-like-you-to-watch-him-masturbate.html

From 2010

Clearly you don't know the stories about Joe horn sleeping with Willie roafs wife for an extended period before Willie finding out and flying off the deepens on ol Joe. Wasn't a good situation or a choice made based on talent. Willie was leaving, just a matter of if he was going to jail for killing his "teammate" in the process.

No I didn't know that... I guess Joe Horn will not be inducting him.

Someone needs to explain to me how Art Monk is in the HOF and Reed, Carter, and Brown are not? This is total BS.

Cortez Kennedy? I was shocked he even made it to to the final ten let alone gets enshrined. Doleman? You have got to be kidding.

Martin has the numbers but he could have waited a few years.

Roaf and Dawson are worthy.

I can't see Reed ever making it now.

Art Monk = Cris Carter with rings. Neither are worthy IMO, but I agree it is totally ridiculous that Monk is in & Andre is not.

2013 -- guard Larry Allen, defensive end Michael Strahan, left tackle Jonathan Ogden, defensive tackle Warren Sapp, quarterback Steve McNair, safety John Lynch, defensive tackle Bryant Young, kicker Morten Andersen.

2014 -- linebacker Derrick Brooks, wideout Marvin Harrison, coaches Tony Dungy and Mike Holmgren, running back Shaun Alexander, and safety Rodney Harrison.

2015 -- left tackles Walter Jones and Orlando Pace, linebacker Junior Seau, quarterback Kurt Warner, cornerback Ty Law, , and running back Edgerrin James.

These are the names of the eligible players coming soon... Allen, Ogden, and Sapp seem all but certain to make it(McNair has the sympathy vote too). Brooks is the only guy from 2014 that IMO is a shoe in. Yes Dungy and Harrison are possibilities. But Dungy may coach again and just like Parcells the HOF voters will wait to see. In 2015 Jones, Pace, and Seau are locks. That leaves only 2 spots for next year for Haley, Parcells, and the three WR's Reed, Brown, and Carter to battle it our. I just can't see Reed making it. Maybe 2014 if they look and say Harrison was more a product of Peyton Manning than he was himself a talent(also that whole shooting in Philadelphia may go against him).

Reed has a better chance of getting in by the NFL increasing the number per year to six or seven than he does competing against these eligible candidates.

I don't see Andre getting in next year with that crop of first timers.

Not saying he deserves it, but iIf Willie Roaf got in, wouldn't that mean that Reuben Brown should get in eventually too? Very comparable careers.

Ruben was not even close to Willie Roaf. I don't think you people know how good Roaf was. He was the best player at his position for a decade or more. 6 1st Team All Pros and 3 2nd Team All Pros - Ruben had 4 2nd Team and no first team All Pros.

Unless I'm mistaken, Andre played in four times as many Super Bowls as this entire class of enshrinees combined (Dawson: 1. The rest: zero.)

Bruce Smith's poor performances in super bowl's didn't keep him out of the HOF.. Probably because of his sack record. Poor play in SB's is likely keeping Reed out.

I give Micheal Irvin credit for going OFF on NFL Gameday about the politics that go on in the selection process. While the other guys looked a bit uncomfortable and even tried to lighten the mood by laughing - Irvin said "We gotta stop this maddness... and these guys played with courage! They've taken courage out of the National Football League! Tim Brown, Chris Carter, Andre Reed - they played with courage!" He also talked about how Charles Haley wasn't in and made the valid point that if any QB had five Super Bowl rings they would be in the HoF right away.

They also touched on how there is a maximum of seven inductees allowed per year yet at times like this year they only let in six. (vote percentages) It does seem like a waste... and before anyone argues that rule is to prevent only the best making it in- keep in mind the politics involved. As Irvin points out; if one guy sees the player he wants in not getting the votes he may not vote for someone else's "guy" out of spite more than anything else. Its deplorable but human nature. I read everyone's comments and i see people slamming other deserving inductees because they are angry Reed or someone else wasn't chosen. This is the stuff im sure happens to keep players like Andre out. I just think the whole thing is sad.

I caught that. Maybe Andre needed Felser in there pleading his case yesterday. But Felser probably doesn't have a vote anymore. Peter King who does vote had said yesterday he thought Andre was going in. This year was Andre's best shot. he will get in someday but now probably not for awhile. I think its more disrespect for wide receivers in general than any Bills hate.

I caught that. Maybe Andre needed Felser in there pleading his case yesterday. But Felser probably doesn't have a vote anymore. Peter King who does vote had said yesterday he thought Andre was going in. This year was Andre's best shot. he will get in someday but now probably not for awhile. I think its more disrespect for wide receivers in general than any Bills hate.

Short of say qbs and rbs (maybe?) there a position with more people inducted? I really don't know but it seems like it

the kennedy pick sticks out like a sore thumb. He was a good d-lineman...not great. I'm not sure andre really belongs in the hof but he sure as hell does before cortez kennedy.

the roaf and dawson picks are solid. Doleman was great. He was the second best defensive end in the league in that 87-93 period behind bruce smith.

I thought curtis martin was a marginal candidate, and definitely not a first ballot guy. I guess he got in due to longevity at his position and the stats he racked up over the years. But we faced him twice a year for over a decade and he was never for a second a guy who really scared you with his talent. Not sure how he gets in over tim brown or cris carter...but what do I know.

Edited by TheBrownBear

the kennedy pick sticks out like a sore thumb. He was a good d-lineman...not great. I'm not sure andre really belongs in the hof but he sure as hell does before cortez kennedy.

the roaf and dawson picks are solid. Doleman was great. He was the second best defensive end in the league in that 87-93 period behind bruce smith.

I thought curtis martin was a marginal candidate, and definitely not a first ballot guy. I guess he got in due to longevity at his position and the stats he racked up over the years. But we faced him twice a year for over a decade and he was never for a second a guy who really scared you with his talent. Not sure how he gets in over tim brown or cris carter...but what do I know.

Agree across the board

Dude Martin had a shorter career than Thurman Thomas, and had more yards from scrimmage,TD's, and rushing yards.

If Curtis Martin doesn't belong in the HoF then neither does Thurman.

Dude Martin had a shorter career than Thurman Thomas, and had more yards from scrimmage,TD's, and rushing yards.

If Curtis Martin doesn't belong in the HoF then neither does Thurman.

My sense it that you're making a statistics-based argument.

Thurman was the straw that stirred the drink in the Bills offense.

Martin was never as important a player, IMO.

My sense it that you're making a statistics-based argument.

Thurman was the straw that stirred the drink in the Bills offense.

Martin was never as important a player, IMO.

See thats where I disagree with your disagreement. lol Any player that rushed for that many yards, and scored that many TD's did plenty to stir the drink.

At this point, I have to start wondering if there is anything us Bills fans can do to advocate on Andre's behalf. This was clearly the worst inductee class in recent memory and Andre is running out of time. We could start a website or send letters to voters or buy billboards or something. He gave us a lot of good memories, we could try to accomplish something for him.

At this point, I have to start wondering if there is anything us Bills fans can do to advocate on Andre's behalf. This was clearly the worst inductee class in recent memory and Andre is running out of time. We could start a website or send letters to voters or buy billboards or something. He gave us a lot of good memories, we could try to accomplish something for him.

I suspect anything Bills fans would do would be seen as just that, Bills fans trying to get their guy in.

However I applaud the emotions behind your question.

It's great to recognize guys in the trenches, but 4 of 5 in the class of 2012?

Yeah, it's a mystery to me, too. As much as I would like to see Andre in the HOF, his competition at receiver was pretty stiff. But for NO receiver to get in? Not right if you ask me. Tim Brown has really good stats and he didn't get in? WTF?

See thats where I disagree with your disagreement. lol Any player that rushed for that many yards, and scored that many TD's did plenty to stir the drink.

Close your eyes. Now, picture Thurman with the ball behind the LOS. See him make the quick stop and lateral jump to his left before accelerating through the hole? See him catching pass after pass? Can you see him catching a screen pass and tearing through a defense?

That's a HOFer. Close your eyes again...see Sweetness? OJ? Campbell? Smith? Sayers? Allen?

OK, now close your eyes again and think of Martin. What do you see? For me...I can't conjur up anything, not a single memory. That aint a Hall of Fame player.

Close your eyes. Now, picture Thurman with the ball behind the LOS. See him make the quick stop and lateral jump to his left before accelerating through the hole? See him catching pass after pass? Can you see him catching a screen pass and tearing through a defense?

That's a HOFer. Close your eyes again...see Sweetness? OJ? Campbell? Smith? Sayers? Allen?

OK, now close your eyes again and think of Martin. What do you see? For me...I can't conjur up anything, not a single memory. That aint a Hall of Fame player.

not for nothing but when Curtis Martin retired it was a matter of time before he was inducted. Look at these numbers:

4th all time in rushing yards

9 straight years over 1000 yards

7 of which were over 1200 yards

over 17000 career yards

100 career tds

I remember being glad when he retired because he was a consistent workhorse back and played in 166 of a possible 175 games at running back. I think a lot of the Curtis Martin hate is because he spent his career with NE and the Jets.

not for nothing but when Curtis Martin retired it was a matter of time before he was inducted. Look at these numbers:

over 17000 career yards

100 career tds

I remember being glad when he retired because he was a consistent workhorse back and played in 166 of a possible 175 games at running back. I think a lot of the Curtis Martin hate is because he spent his career with NE and the Jets.

Martin was a great player and deserves to be in. He wasn't just good; he was fantastic. He also had a strong postseason career:

182 carries for 795 yards (4.37 ypc) with 8 rushing TDs in 10 games. Over a 16 game season, that averages out to 1,272 yards and 13 rushing TDs against top competition.

Also, it should be factored in that he hardly ever fumbled. He was one of the best ever in that category: only 29 times over 4,002 touches (3518 rushes and 484 receptions). That's pretty incredible. By way of comparison, Thurman Thomas fumbled 50 times in only 3,349 touches. Bettis fumbled 41 times in 3,679 touches. Emmitt Smith fumbled 61 times in 4924 touches. Barry Sanders fumbled 41 times in 3,414 touches. Marcus Allen fumbled 65 times in 3,709 touches. Jim Brown fumbled 57 times in 2,621 touches. O.J. fumbled 62 times in 2607 touches.

If one accepts (as most do) that ball protection is a key part of being a good RB, than Martin should get points for being quite possibly the best ever. In my book, he's without question a hall of famer.

over 17000 career yards

100 career tds

Yup, he's got stats.

I watched Curtis Martin play a lot of games and I have to agree that he was a very nondescript player.

I defy anyone to describe his style.

over 17000 career yards

100 career tds

It was already conceded that Martin has the stats. No one is arguing his stats.

The argument against Martin is that he was nothing more than a highly consistent player.

What great moments does anyone have to share about Curtis Martin's career?

How many Super Bowls was Martin instrumental in leading his team to?

How many NFL MVPs did Martin win?

How many Offensive Player of the Year awards did he win?

Did he make the NFL's All-Decade Team during his career?

What was his career yards per carry?

Nice football player but not a HOFer in my book.

I watched Curtis Martin play a lot of games and I have to agree that he was a very nondescript player.

The argument against Martin is that he was nothing more than a highly consistent player.

Granted he didn't have as many highlight reel runs - I think being one of the most consistent players in the history of the game is noteworthy.

Also:

NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year (1995)

PFWA Offensive Rookie of the Year (1995)

5× Pro Bowl (1995, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004)

5× All-Pro (1995, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2004)

Super Bowl XXXI appearance (1996)

Ed Block Courage Award (2001)

NFL Rushing champion (2004)

NFL Alumni Running Back of the Year (2004)

FedEx Ground Player of the Year Award (2004)

Bart Starr Man of the Year Award (2005)

New York Jets All-Time Leading Rusher (10,302 yards)

Led NFL in rushing yards in 2004 with 1,697

Oldest player to win a rushing title in NFL history (age 31)

10,000 Rushing Yards Club

Fourth-leading rusher of All-Time

New England Patriots All-1990s Team

New York Jets All-Time Four Decade Team

New York Jets Ring of Honor

You're kidding, right? He was as good as Thurman, sad to say, and one of the best vision/first-cut runners in NFL history. Just because he wasn't Barry Sanders doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best RBs of all time. I live in NY and saw way too many Jets games over the years. He was a warrior with great talent. Why do you think Parcells traded the farm for him after 97? Who was key in getting the Jets to 12-4 after a 1-15 season two seasons before? See my point about fumbles above. Offensive player of the year and MVPs is a crapshoot. In 2004, he was the best RB in the league. He had a great postseason in 1996 (166 yards and 3 tds against a dominant steelers D) and a good SB against GB. He's not the reason they lost that game.

Edited by dave mcbride

No I'm not kidding Dave.

To me, Curtis Martin was a tough, durable, dependable football player.

I can't remember ever watching him and saying to myself "Wow!"

As running backs go, Martin was pretty boring… a poor man's Emmitt Smith or maybe like a Terry Allen except that Martin could stay healthy.

He was deceptively strong and hard to knock off his feet. He wasn't very fast, had average quickness for a back his size and played on teams which generally emphasized the run. I don't know that he had great instincts though he seemed to be able to follow his blockers.

I'm sitting here watching highlights of his career on YouTube and yawning.

I see where he played 11 seasons in the NFL and that he averaged 4 or less yards per carry 7 of those seasons.

That's about consistent with my recollection of him.

Sorry.

And no way in hell was Curtis Martin anywhere near as good as Thurman Thomas, IMO.