Final 2012 HOF Finalists

papazoid

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with what Reed's said. He's been careful enough to voice some displeasure while not going over the line. They're legitimate worries considering the bloated numbers we'll soon be seeing. He knows the longer it takes the less his stats will hold up when this current generation comes forward to the Hall voting process.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's turning into the Bert Blyleven of the Football HOF. He's going to get in eventually and when he does, it will be tainted for me. P.S. He does NOT deserve to get in before Cris Carter. Not even close. Tim Brown, probably. And P.P.S. is anyone else absolutely blown away by the fact that Cortez Kennedy is in the HOF and Cris Carter is not??? Like Crazy Eddie's prices, it's insane!

He doesn't deserve to get in before Carter? Carter played in a DOME for how many years and was busted for drugs how many times? Put Carter outside in bad weather and his numbers go down dramatically. Look at his stats when he played in Philly.

No way he deserves to be in the HOF before Reed. Tim Brown? I'm not gonna even touch that one.

If we are going to talk about big catches, fine.

Who can remember a big postseason game from Carter? Anyone? Bueller?

Carter's postseason stats: 14 games, 63 catches, 870 yards, 13.81 ypc, 2 100-yard games, 8 TD (2 in wins, 6 in losses).

Reed's postseason stats: 19 games, 85 catches, 1,229 yards, 14.46 ypc, 5 100-yard games, 9 TD (7 in wins, 2 in losses).

In fact, Reed had more postseason touchdown catches in ONE game than Carter did in his entire career, or has everyone forgotten the three big TDs he caught in the Comeback?

Deserving, hell yes. Ahead of Cris Carter? Absolutely.

+1,000,000

Edited by Azucho98

He's turning into the Bert Blyleven of the Football HOF. He's going to get in eventually and when he does, it will be tainted for me. P.S. He does NOT deserve to get in before Cris Carter. Not even close. Tim Brown, probably. And P.P.S. is anyone else absolutely blown away by the fact that Cortez Kennedy is in the HOF and Cris Carter is not??? Like Crazy Eddie's prices, it's insane!

He does deserve to get in before Cris Carter, period. Tainted? Get real... NO wide receivers were elected this year, which is an absolute joke. Andre's frustration is completely valid.

When I read the title of your post, all I could hear was the "wonk wonk wonk" sound of the Charlie Brown teacher's voice. Get real!

He helped make Jim Kelly. Andre Reed is more of a Hall of Fame player than Kelly will EVER be

1329345803[/url]' post='2383808']

Untrue - Jake Reed was a better second receiver than anyone the Bills ever had. And I'm not sure why Moss's years don't count. Check out Reed's stats from 1994-1997:

http://www.pro-footb.../R/ReedJa00.htm

Here are Moss's stats from 1998 onward:

http://www.pro-footb.../M/MossRa00.htm

As for his short-lived Philly career, he had Keith Jackson on his team. He was the best TE in the league in the late 1990s. http://www.pro-footb.../J/JackKe00.htm

As for Reed throwing his helmet in the SB, he did it in the first half while the Bills were driving. The Bills had a chance to make it 17-7. I don't put much stock in that, however. It was a crappy non-call.

In any event, Carter was a better player, and his catches didn't matter less (particularly since he caught far more TDs than Reed with worse QBs throwing to him). But Reed was very good too.

Jake Reed was a good player. He wasn't VERY good. Recite all the stats you want, good stats don't make a player very good. He was in a great passing system and took advantage of it. Next thing you know, we'll be calling Derrick Alexander, Ed Mccaffery, Darrell Jackson, Jeff graham and Fred Barnett great players. They were good. Just like Jake Reed. And James Lofton at the end of his career.

Jake Reed was a good player. He wasn't VERY good. Recite all the stats you want, good stats don't make a player very good. He was in a great passing system and took advantage of it. Next thing you know, we'll be calling Derrick Alexander, Ed Mccaffery, Darrell Jackson, Jeff graham and Fred Barnett great players. They were good. Just like Jake Reed. And James Lofton at the end of his career.

Who was Jake Reed's quarterback again? As for Lofton, he had one good season with the Bills (1990), a decent season (1991), and a terrible one (1992) in which he seemed to drop as many as he caught. Reed had four very strong seasons with the Vikings despite not having a qb who was nearly as good as Jim Kelly.

Stats are indicative of something, regardless of what some may think.

Cortez for real the guy never made it to the big game !! Andre has every right to be pissed when he retired he was second in all time yards or catches or something like that behind Rice & now he's like 4th & then you put in that the guys that got in did it in less time than him !!

The guy did something that none of the others did he got his team to the big show 4 times in a row -- sure he didn't win but there will never be another team that will ever do that & seeing that Jim , Thurman , Bruce & Marv are there Andre deserves it !!

So a baby i think not !! Deserving -- I'd say so !!!!

Kennedy was a dominating player who played on terrible teams. Are we gonna penalize him for having Dan McGuire and Kelly Stouffer as his QB? Seriously. Consider the situation he played in. If he played for the Bills from 1990-93 as NT instead of Jeff Wright, the Bills would probably have won four Super Bowls.

Edited by dave mcbride

Andre's quotes in the Sully article were typical Andre. You don't have to tell people that you're a team guy, etc. - they either know it or they don't.....I still hope he makes it and he was a great receiver, no doubt. But, a surly mofo, for sure.

Peter King (SI):

I've been thinking of stepping down from the committee of 44 selectors. Many of you are right. Twenty years is a long time. I've stated my case -- in favor or opposed -- for many who've been elected and many who haven't. And I've thought, independent of the argument some have proposed for term limits for Hall voters, that maybe it's time for someone else to sit in judgment of these great players, coaches and league and club officials. Fresh voices are good things.

I believe all votes should be made public, because we should stand behind our opinions. I believe the committee should be expanded to include a conscientious player, coach or club official from the existing 32 teams. But if you think that's going to end the arguments and the perceived biases, you're crazy. It would, however, give the vote more legitimacy, in my opinion.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/02/14/hall-of-fame/index.html#ixzz1mYGbeCo8

He doesn't deserve to get in before Carter? Carter played in a DOME for how many years and was busted for drugs how many times? Put Carter outside in bad weather and his numbers go down dramatically. Look at his stats when he played in Philly.

No way he deserves to be in the HOF before Reed. Tim Brown? I'm not gonna even touch that one.

+1,000,000

The dome issue is overblown. Half of Carter's games were not played in his home dome. Most of Reed's games were played in fair (rarely "bad")weather outside. It's a wash.

Carter and Reed made it further than Brown, from what Peter King has said (the most vocal HOF voter) it seems the two of them are drawing votes from one another. I wish Carter had been elected so that it would have cleared the way for Reed next year.

So why is it that the WRs are forced to "split" votes but the fat guys are allowed to have more than 1 electee voted in at a time?

Cris Carter also got outright cut (ie. no value) by the Eagles after having a few decent years for them. I forget what he did off-the-field to make this happen, but it still cheapens him in my eyes as far as the HOF goes.

It was drugs/alcohol, but as you may recall, Buddy Ryan famously justified the cut by saying "all he does is catch touchdowns."

It was drugs/alcohol, but as you may recall, Buddy Ryan famously justified the cut by saying "all he does is catch touchdowns."

Yes, I do remember Buddy's quote.

I do think there is something to be said about consistency and longevity... but I never thought he was among the very best receivers in the league for any given year, same with Monk.