Bills Interested in Williams?

Sniper

Speculation or not...this would be the single greatest Free Agent acquisition in this franchises history. This is the kind of guy that INSTANTLY improves the play of EVERYONE around him. I'd offer him the contract he wants, my left nut and a couple fingers if that is what it would take. Anyone who says "no" is plain dumb.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills can't express interest in Williams, or any other potential FA's at this time because

A. The players aren't FA's yet and their teams could still re-sign them

and

B. The Players are not Free Agents yet and any word that you are interested in a potential FA could be considered Tampering and result in discipline from the league

I would be seriously concerned with him if the Texans just decide to give up on this guy after his injury last year. He was their #1 overall pick not to long ago and has been a big part of their defence for years. Flags should be raised if they have no problem letting a player like him just walk in FA

LOL.

That made me laugh.

Anyways. YES - he can play Kelsays position, and most likely we would still draft a DE/OLB

Upshaw Barnett Sheppard Mario

Williams Dareus Edwards

That front 7 would do filthy filthy things. I could play in the secondary.

Great line, you definitely made me laugh. A tough thing to do when your a Bill's fan!

LOL.

That made me laugh.

Anyways. YES - he can play Kelsays position, and most likely we would still draft a DE/OLB

Upshaw Barnett Sheppard Mario

Williams Dareus Edwards

That front 7 would do filthy filthy things. I could play in the secondary.

DL - Dareus, Soliai, K. Williams

LB - Mercilus, Sheppard, Barnett, M. Williams

:thumbsup:

I would be seriously concerned with him if the Texans just decide to give up on this guy after his injury last year. He was their #1 overall pick not to long ago and has been a big part of their defence for years. Flags should be raised if they have no problem letting a player like him just walk in FA

Not necessarily. Brooks Reed, JJ Watt, Demeco Ryans and Brian Cushing make Williams expendable because they're all young and they are playing at a very high level. Signing MW to a huge deal may impair their ability to re-sign some of these guys when their contracts are up.

Not necessarily. Brooks Reed, JJ Watt, Demeco Ryans and Brian Cushing make Williams expendable because they're all young and they are playing at a very high level. Signing MW to a huge deal may impair their ability to re-sign some of these guys when their contracts are up.

Including Arian Foster, who is a restricted free agent.

The Bills can't express interest in Williams, or any other potential FA's at this time because

A. The players aren't FA's yet and their teams could still re-sign them

and

B. The Players are not Free Agents yet and any word that you are interested in a potential FA could be considered Tampering and result in discipline from the league

I think the issue might be that the D played so well without him do they want to tie up a huge contract for one player. Another poster mentioned Foster is due a contract and Schaub is signed through 2012 so he is also due.

If he becomes a free agent (this article suggests that the texans wont franchise him)

My link

The Bills NEED to do everything they can to get this guy. Put him at DE next to DT's Dareus and Willams and another DE taken in round 1 or 2 of this years draft, and we'll have one of the best (if not the best) D line in football.

How often do you get a chance to grab a 26 year old who is a proven stud?

We gathered some information about Mario Williams in Buffalo.

Would you guys want to throw the bank at him?

Mario Williams in Buffalo?

It would be nice but not for the kind of money he would demand . I think that there is a Mario Williams type player in the draft we just have to pick him & with the money we save by not getting Williams we could get a second player & possibly a 3rd for the money we would have spent on him ...

Plus he's coming off an injury so (input whiner voice here) he could be another Merriman , he's only 26 !!

Edited by T master

If he becomes a free agent (this article suggests that the texans wont franchise him)

My link

The Bills NEED to do everything they can to get this guy. Put him at DE next to DT's Dareus and Willams and another DE taken in round 1 or 2 of this years draft, and we'll have one of the best (if not the best) D line in football.

How often do you get a chance to grab a 26 year old who is a proven stud?

Seriously!

not like I think we have a chance at him but this could/would be a franchise changer much like Reggie White to the Packers was. Before he went there people said many of the same things about them as they do the Bills. Small market, unable to keep/attract talent, losing/middling team, etc..

Everybody start Tebowing now and maybe we will have enough good karma by march to make this happen!

Dreaming is free....

First of all, would the man even want to come to Buffalo?

Then, what makes you guys think this owner would pay a DE 15+ million a year when he wouldn't Jason Peters and others, last time i looked he wasn't Daniel Snyder.

Polian had to talk this owner into keeping Bruce Smith when Denver came calling with 2 first round draft picks. He had to talk him into paying Kelly top dollar, new scoreboard, stadium upgrades, etc etc etc.

The yes men in this org don't do the talking, they do the head bob!

Speculation or not...this would be the single greatest Free Agent acquisition in this franchises history. This is the kind of guy that INSTANTLY improves the play of EVERYONE around him. I'd offer him the contract he wants, my left nut and a couple fingers if that is what it would take. Anyone who says "no" is plain dumb.

Debatable. #1 is definitely Ted Washington. #2 is definitely Bryce Paup (he won AP Defensive Player of the Year, after all). #3 is...Fitzpatrick? Does Plan B free agency count? Then weren't Tasker and Kenneth Davis acquired via Plan B? If that's the case, I'd put Tasker #1 and Davis #4, but I don't think Plan B should count. If it's just true free agency, I'm drawing a blank on who I'd put above Fitz. I guess it would have to be either Spikes or Fletcher. Move Fitzy down to #5.

Anyway, a Mario Williams signing would obviously depend on how he played as a Bill, but you'd have to start him out above Spikes - about the same age/experience, but Williams is a bigger star and better player at a more important position than Spikes was when we signed him. Assuming Williams didn't flame out quickly like Paup, he'd be right up there with Big Ted for the top spot.

Of course, this is all just wishful thinking, but isn't that what the offseason is for?

Debatable. #1 is definitely Ted Washington. #2 is definitely Bryce Paup (he won AP Defensive Player of the Year, after all). #3 is...Fitzpatrick? Does Plan B free agency count? Then weren't Tasker and Kenneth Davis acquired via Plan B? If that's the case, I'd put Tasker #1 and Davis #4, but I don't think Plan B should count. If it's just true free agency, I'm drawing a blank on who I'd put above Fitz. I guess it would have to be either Spikes or Fletcher. Move Fitzy down to #5.

Anyway, a Mario Williams signing would obviously depend on how he played as a Bill, but you'd have to start him out above Spikes - about the same age/experience, but Williams is a bigger star and better player at a more important position than Spikes was when we signed him. Assuming Williams didn't flame out quickly like Paup, he'd be right up there with Big Ted for the top spot.

Of course, this is all just wishful thinking, but isn't that what the offseason is for?

Tasker (and Lofton for that matter) were straight waiver wire acquisitions. Got 'em each for the $100 transaction fee. Not bad.

I believe Davis was a straight FA but I'm not sure if he was plan B or not. I'll have to check that out.

EDIT: Turns out Davis was indeed part of the first Plan B FA class in 1989. Glad he chose Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

#3 would be Spikes,4 would be Adams,5 would Milloy

Steve Christie was Plan B, maybe not top 5, but was a great acquisition.

Fletcher, Spikes & Sam Adams were bigger pick-ups than Fitzpatrick.

How about Bill Brooks & Quinn Early? Both were very underrated WR's for the Bills.

Last but not least, how could we forget Chris Spielman?

I just think it would be beyond awesome to have a defense with three starters named Williams on the field at the same time.

Man, having Mario here would boost the season tix sales too. A big shiny new toy for Brandon. I just don't think the Bills can play poker

with the competition if he hits free agency.

When are we ever talked about with big free agents?

He will be a target of ours if he hits the market. Trust me.

I enjoyed the article. But he will be a "target" of the Bills just like every other big name FA is a "target" of the Bills. They Bills will not make a serious push for them, and they will end up elsewhere. Bills=Pirates=no big FA moves. I endure this suffering on a yearly basis. :bag:

Edited by RyanC883

Schoebel played 8 seasons plus 5 games and had 78 sacks. In roughly 4 and a half seasons worht of games Williams has 53. Schoebel was 6 4 262 pounds, Williams is 6 foot 6 290. I'd take Williams every day, and twice on sunday over Schoebel. When healthy, Williams is the best D lineman in the league. A guy thats 300 pounds, and athletic enough to play OLB. That's crazy.

Schobel might be the most underrated Bill in the history of the franchise. When he played the QB had to get rid of the ball, when he was out the QB could stand back in the pocket, have a sandwich, & throw. We haven't faced a lot of hungry QBs since he left. Somehow I think last season would have been a whole lot different with him coming off the edge.

Edit: this was supposed to be a reply to JTSP.

Edited by Rob's House

#3 would be Spikes,4 would be Adams,5 would Milloy

London Fletcher and Chris Spielman were other excellent free agent acquisitions.

Schobel might be the most underrated Bill in the history of the franchise. When he played the QB had to get rid of the ball, when he was out the QB could stand back in the pocket, have a sandwich, & throw. We haven't faced a lot of hungry QBs since he left. Somehow I think last season would have been a whole lot different with him coming off the edge.

Edit: this was supposed to be a reply to JTSP.

I dont disagree

Plus this is a chance to fix Marv's "other" 2006 1st Rd. pick he spent on a certain NC State DL. Remember when Marv alluded to the idea that McCargo was the reason why Williams was so dominant in college. He was wrong.

Ouch that hurts :doh:

DL - Dareus, Soliai, K. Williams/Jay Howard 6'3" 305 and a good pass rusher

LB - Mercilus Ingram, Sheppard, Barnett, M. Williams

All better now.

I enjoyed the article. But he will be a "target" of the Bills just like every other big name FA is a "target" of the Bills. They Bills will not make a serious push for them, and they will end up elsewhere. Bills=Pirates=no big FA moves. I endure this suffering on a yearly basis. :bag:

these big name free agents are a target only on the front page of the paper

Bills have zero intent on actually coming up with the big bucks to sign these guys -

but talk is cheap and they can spin their aggressive pursuit of big name players to appease the fans -- all on a no-money-down approach

[

Edited by spartacus