Bills Sign WR David Clowney

McBeane

And he's from Buffalo and a Bills fan to boot. I coincidentally watched a Bills game with him once at Boomers on the UWS in NY, my old Sunday joint during football season. Didn't even know who he was until he said "wow, that was some hit. Back in my day they didn't hit like that" and then spent part of the rest of the game talking about his playing time. Funniest thing was he said hands down he'd always root for the Bills over his old team, the Giants....

Great story Matt...love that kind of player...hard-nosed and never bellyached. Did his job. Got paid.

The guys site is:

http://www.davidclowney87.com/home

but the song that is on his site is, Im not a star. LOL No kidding, that's why we signed you. Classic!!

Gotta love that...maybe I'll buy one of his $40 t-shirts (although the proceeds may go to a charity)

By the way, I joined after you but never saw your name...funny...I loved Ferguson but would love Kelly back as well.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, it's not a big deal, but it's something.

from what i've been told, Clowney's got speed, and that's something the Bills WR corps really lacked this year, especially after Roscoe went down. it's worth giving Clowney a shot. it's better than not doing anything, eh?

jw

Sure we could use some speed on the edge, but this signing could prove disastrous for team chemistry and potentially split the locker room, as we all know Dareus suffers from acute coulrophobia. Sure there's meds and all, but do you really want your starting DE/NT all spaced out on Xanax? Not worth the risk, in my opinion.

I try hard not too engage with you, as I have read your "posts" for many years. In the span of a month you have come after me twice now, and well anyone is fair game for you. Just wondering though, why do you attack posters,their attitude, their warranted feelings after 52 years of almost constant sucking, But you yourself rarely if ever have anything to say about actual Bills football? Well, you do understand the little idiosyncrasies about broadcast radio but really......

It seems your sole purpose here is too hose other posters? Especially if they show negativity at OBD I'm glad your wired too cheer lead every moronic thing OBD does. They do plenty, as our yearly record clearly demonstrates. I do not constantly post negative things about our team, in fact the majority of my posts are on game day, and I am always thinking win at kickoff.

I actually used the word "excited" tongue in cheek, maybe that concept is over your head. I know sarcasm is for sure. Too make your life easier, i won't be posting here constantly as this is the time of year where my travel ramps up and i have other things on my mind. You will have one less fellow Bills fan to kick around. Hey have a great day.But, Why so serious?

Just have a cheap laugh at his expense :lol: and then feel a little pity. :(

Dude chill...he's selling himself to NFL teams...players websites are like is common folks resumes...hardly a diva like action.

Guy has his own website and every entry makes it sound like he is the most sought after WR in the NFL...sounds like another diva WR craving attention...where are all the old time, humble, hard working, non-Twittering, non-self promotion players these days who let their play on the field speak louder than their mouths??? ( a la Jerry Butler, Frank Lewis, James Lofton, Don Beebe, and that little NY Giants WR who used to get creamed all the time)

:-)

but but but... I thought that they could only talk to one player at once. Clearly, signing Clowney took away all the focus from the other objectives of this offseason... right?

hey i like it, seems like a stand up guy who looks like he can play.

Everyone around here is always soooo negative..... soo complainy. go route for another team if you don't like this one.

Edited by markgbe

It's a good signing, but I think some people here are rightly scared that the spin machine at OBD will use this as an excuse (however facially absurd) as a reason to (1) not resign SJ or (2) find another top WR to pair with him.

This. Nothing against this young man, bring him in and see what he can do. Just not INSTEAD OF resigning Stevie and drafting/pursuing a top WR in FA

Yeah, there may be a little over reaction to these signings...

We need about double our active game day roster for training camp, so yeah there are going to be a lot of "reserves" signed to come in and compete. Doesn't mean they will make the team, doesn't mean the Bills are necessarily are considering them starters.

These signings are relatively meaningless right now. The Bills are just picking up available players that they think would be good to have in camp next year. Besides, Clowney might not be good, but unfortunately he is probably better than most if not all of our signed WR's...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

uhhh ... in most cases, these contracts signed in early January are negligible and hinge on the player actually makign the team. whatever the Bills signed David Clowney for will have no effect at all on whether they re-open talks with Stevie Johnson or change Stevie's mind on Buffalo.

jw

I'm trying hard not to read into this, but I am finding it difficult not to. It's just a matter of money, right???

I looks to me it's a clear message to Stevie Johnson that he needs to be realistic about his new contract, and if he's not, the team is preparing now for life without him.

Now this is funny...

If this team is preparing for life without SJ by first bringing in Clowney, things are even worse than they appear.

It's a lottery ticket. Buy cheap, hope for a windfall.

Either way, getting excited about this signing is the equivalent of going crazy over minor league signings in baseball.

Edited by dpberr

uhhh ... in most cases, these contracts signed in early January are negligible and hinge on the player actually makign the team. whatever the Bills signed David Clowney for will have no effect at all on whether they re-open talks with Stevie Johnson or change Stevie's mind on Buffalo.

jw

ok jw you just opened a can of worms. "or change stevie's mind on Buffalo" , are you hearing that Stevie might want to leave all things being equal.

AS for Clowney he ran a 4.36 at the combine a few years back. Funny how with all the injuris this year people are upset when the Bills sign Nfl caliber players btw leaving in Jets country ,I have a lot of friends who are hard core jets fans and they always thought Clowney should play more fwiw

Edited by jcbillsfan

ok jw you just opened a can of worms. "or change stevie's mind on Buffalo" , are you hearing that Stevie might want to leave all things being equal.

AS for Clowney he ran a 4.36 at the combine a few years back. Funny how with all the injuris this year people are upset when the Bills sign Nfl caliber players btw leaving in Jets country ,I have a lot of friends who are hard core jets fans and they always thought Clowney should play more fwiw

there is no can of worms here.

the post to which i was responding to suggested that signing Clowney might somehow anger Stevie Johnson. why, lord only knows.

this move would not. Johnson has said he'd like to continue playing in Buffalo. signing Clowney would not change Johnson's mind.

I looks to me it's a clear message to Stevie Johnson that he needs to be realistic about his new contract, and if he's not, the team is preparing now for life without him.

no it's not.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

to stir it up even more , to all the lee evans supporters, I think clowney had a more productive season then Mr evans

just saying say millions and get a 4th round pick . Well played Mr Nix

Mr Clowney may have had a better season than Evans sitting on a couch playing Madden. But the truth is he had no team for the NFL regular season. Good thing we snagged him before the bidding heated up.

Great story Matt...love that kind of player...hard-nosed and never bellyached. Did his job. Got paid.

Gotta love that...maybe I'll buy one of his $40 t-shirts (although the proceeds may go to a charity)

By the way, I joined after you but never saw your name...funny...I loved Ferguson but would love Kelly back as well.

I'd take both of them too

Yeah, there may be a little over reaction to these signings...

We need about double our active game day roster for training camp, so yeah there are going to be a lot of "reserves" signed to come in and compete. Doesn't mean they will make the team, doesn't mean the Bills are necessarily are considering them starters.

These signings are relatively meaningless right now. The Bills are just picking up available players that they think would be good to have in camp next year. Besides, Clowney might not be good, but unfortunately he is probably better than most if not all of our signed WR's...

Turbosrrgood may just have the best avatar out there. LOL... Classic

Am I crazy, or was Clowney on the Bills roster (or at least training camp roster) a few years ago, for a week or two? How many Clowneys can there be?

Also, isn't Roscoe a FA this off-season too? Maybe giving Clowney, a speedster, a chance to take Roscoe's spot? Hopefully Clowney has better hands than Parrish...and can stay healthy for two consecutive games...

Either way, hopeufully, this is Buddy's one last gift to the Bills...make room for Whaley!

Edited by Buftex

no it's not.

jw

Really? Care to elaborate on why signing a receiver to the roster when you have one with a contract issue would NOT in any send a message to him?

Wait, what am I thinking, of course you don't need to be rational with your comment, this is the internet, where sarcastic responses are wicked awesome.

Has free agency even begun? Chill the F out, we need depth.

Please call Buddy Nix when UFA begins because he's either in bed or convincing RW not to spend money. If someone tells him perhaps they'll sign more than 1 quality starter per year.

Really? Care to elaborate on why signing a receiver to the roster when you have one with a contract issue would NOT in any send a message to him?

Wait, what am I thinking, of course you don't need to be rational with your comment, this is the internet, where sarcastic responses are wicked awesome.

I'll bite. First off, if you think Clowney would even compete with Stevie for his job you need your head examined. Clowney was signed purely as a zero-risk training camp WR. Plus, signing him now enables him to attend all the offseason workouts. How this sends a message to Stevie I will never understand.

How does signing a guy who caught 22 balls for 341 yards and 1 TD over the last 2 years send any kind of message to SJ? If the Bills were in discussion with a big name WR, like Colston, Bowe or Reggie Wayne that might send a message and create some leverage. Threatening to replace 158 catches 2,077 yards and 17 TDs with Clowney was never the intention behind this move.

If Sj feels threatened by a guy who did not make a team in 2011, something is wrong. We signed the guy to be one of 80 guys that comes to training camp and tries to make the team. His situation os so completelydifferent from SJs. Are we supposed to sign no other recievers until SJ is signed?

Seriously?