The One and Only Stevie Johnson Thread

Simon

Maybe this is Stevie's way to get himself out of Buffalo. He may not want to be here next year and figures the more he does dumb stuff the easier it will be for the Bills to let him walk. Would you want to play for a losing franchise that shows absolutely no effort to get better? The owner sucks, the coach sucks and his QB sucks. He knows if he stays in Buffalo his chances of winning even a playoff spot are slim. I hope they resign him, but if he goes somewhere else I can't wait to see how he might tear it up on a real team. Could you see him w Brady.....he would be unstopable.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The message the team send back to Gailey was 49 unanswered points. Stupid decisicion.

Ot maybe it was that after watching the Bills score 21 points in the first quarter, Belichick adjusted to what Chan and the Bills were doing and Chan stupidly stuck with the same gimmicky spread stuff.

And after being shut out in the first quarter, Tom Brady woke up, realized that he was Tom Brady and then looked across the field and saw George Edwards was defensive coordinating for the Buffalo Bills.

SJ was an idiot for that! If a coach makes a statement with a clear penalty for bad behavior and you do anything close to that he has to follow through or he is not doing his job as a coach, a leader and a MAN! He didn't draw a flag for the other stunt with the undershirt so he thought this one wouldn't either but dumb. Just dumb.

Edited by PDaDdy

A team like the Bills cannot afford to get rid of players with Steve Johnson's talent. People who are calling for his head obviously have been enjoying Buffalo Bills football for the last 10, 15 years. The Pats had to deal with Randy Moss too. Don't drink the Coolate. This team brought in TO, do you really think the care that much about character? Besides, I don't think what SJ was such a crime. He just wanted to have his fun after scoring a TD. At least the kid cares about the game. I think the celebration rule is the problem. Chan is the coach and he is allowed to do what he wants. But the truth is that this team sucks and will continue to suck if we keep letting good players go. You don't need me to list all the names.

A team like the Bills cannot afford to get rid of players with Steve Johnson's talent. People who are calling for his head obviously have been enjoying Buffalo Bills football for the last 10, 15 years. The Pats had to deal with Randy Moss too. Don't drink the Coolate. This team brought in TO, do you really think the care that much about character? Besides, I don't think what SJ was such a crime. He just wanted to have his fun after scoring a TD. At least the kid cares about the game. I think the celebration rule is the problem. Chan is the coach and he is allowed to do what he wants. But the truth is that this team sucks and will continue to suck if we keep letting good players go. You don't need me to list all the names.

I think that this whole issue has been blown out of proportion. What Santonio Holmes did is bad stuff, this is just stupid stuff. Even Gailey said that his hands were tied and he sounded like he hated have to bench him because he as the head coach doesn't know what the celebration rules are either.

Bottom line is that this is the NFL, it's a passing league, the Bills didn't sniff another point after he left the game and the Bills must have to have a #1 WR next year, sooooo... Stevie Johnson WILL be coming back one way or the other.

I think that this whole issue has been blown out of proportion. What Santonio Holmes did is bad stuff, this is just stupid stuff. Even Gailey said that his hands were tied and he sounded like he hated have to bench him because he as the head coach doesn't know what the celebration rules are either.

Bottom line is that this is the NFL, it's a passing league, the Bills didn't sniff another point after he left the game and the Bills must have to have a #1 WR next year, sooooo... Stevie Johnson WILL be coming back one way or the other.

dream on. he is not under contract to the Bills, they would have to not just match, but OVERpay 31 other teams significantly, to retain SJs services, just as we have to overpay any other free agent to agree to come play for a perpetual loser in a cold small isolated city. Say hello to LA, NY, or Sf Stevie, I wish you success, I like the way you took care of your business here even if you were a little silly at times.

dream on. he is not under contract to the Bills, they would have to not just match, but OVERpay 31 other teams significantly, to retain SJs services, just as we have to overpay any other free agent to agree to come play for a perpetual loser in a cold small isolated city. Say hello to LA, NY, or Sf Stevie, I wish you success, I like the way you took care of your business here even if you were a little silly at times.

Franchise tag or contract. The Bills have one of the hardest times attracting free agents and what free agent receiver is coming here on a team QB'd by Ryan Fitzpatrick and one that currently has the longest non-playoff streak in the league? The answer is none. Stevie is coming back next year because the Bills must have a #1 receiver not only for the good of their team's playoff hopes, but even just to sell season tickets.

Edited by 1billsfan

Franchise tag or contract. The Bills have one of the hardest times attracting free agents and what free agent receiver is coming here on a team QB'd by Ryan Fitzpatrick and one that currently has the longest non-playoff streak in the league? The answer is none. Stevie is coming back next year because the Bills must have a #1 receiver not only for the good of their team's playoff hopes, but even just to sell season tickets.

Franchise tag it is then. Let's hope so, and maybe leverage the franchise tag into a long term deal.

Either way, Stevie's agent handled it cagily for sure, SJ is going to absolutely max his value. Good for him!

Stevie craves attention and now, after the team allowed a 49-0 run (in basically 3 quarters of football), STEVIE is the big story of the game. He got his wish.

It's such a drag, because he's a good - not great - player with potential.

I could only imagine how his act would go over in a bigger market, where the press is slightly tougher than Jerry Sullivan and there's more than one paper in town.

Edited by MRM33064

Franchise tag it is then. Let's hope so, and maybe leverage the franchise tag into a long term deal.

Either way, Stevie's agent handled it cagily for sure, SJ is going to absolutely max his value. Good for him!

I'm pretty sure Nix can outsmart SJ and his agent w/out breaking a sweat.

Just slap the "non-exclusive" franchise tag on him - then the Bills just have to offer a 1-year deal equivavlent to the average of the top 5 WR salaries for the previous year. Johnson would be free to negotiate w/other teams, but the Bills can choose to match any offer - and will receive 2 first-round draft picks as compensation if they choose not to match.

(Personally, I'd rather have the 2 first-round picks!)

1325513848[/url]' post='2351736']

Just slap the "non-exclusive" franchise tag on him - then the Bills just have to offer a 1-year deal equivavlent to the average of the top 5 WR salaries for the previous year. Johnson would be free to negotiate w/other teams, but the Bills can choose to match any offer - and will receive 2 first-round draft picks as compensation if they choose not to match.

Right on.

Sounds like the right move for Nix. Still, do not see that as outsmating SJ and his agent,SJ will either end up with about 9.5m for a season from Buffalo or with a contract that he is satisfied with (ie one with more than 9.5m guaranteed), from another team. Either way SJ has maxed out value for his talent level, for sure.

If there was a moment earlyoff season last year that they could have locked up SJ for about 5m per season (and you have to think that would have been possible) then SJ/agent is still the winning team in tghis particular negotiation.

A cautionairy tale, in terms of our current position vis a vis Levitre and Byrd. HopefullyNix learned something.

Oh, so you can win championships with a ten cents head, IF YOU WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! Now I understand....that you're just making things up as you go. You said ten cent heads win championships....NEVER. Well. You're still wrong. Ten cent heads can most definitely win championships. Change your original statement to "elite players with ten cent heads can win championships. Non elite players with ten cent heads, MAY win a championship but they have to win one first". Yeah, it makes zero sense, but that's what you're spewing. Making statements that use the word never and always are often incorrect. Don't speak in absolutes and you won't be proven wrong..

You again put words in my mouth.

I did not say those elite players had to win Championships. I said they had to produce on a high level. That can be at any point during the game schedule.

I most certainly have not been proven wrong because the supporting material you brought to the table to counter my argument is not relevant in the least. When I say "ten cent head" I mean the type of player with ability and a primadonna attitude, but have never produced when the game is on the line to back up the big talk and other antics.

Get it now?

I am all for protecting the team from his stupidity. Yours may not be a bad idea and neither is Beerball's (team fine if more incidents). As I said very early in this thread, these problems are fixable IMHO. A little tough love, as was shown to him by yesterday's benching, should fix the problem. Your suggestion basically gives him another year to prove that he can mend his ways.

Look, I think he is stupid but not a criminal. And we need to get (at least one) another stud WR anyway. And the team should not get rid of everyone who is not a perfect team player. These are athletes, a majority of who are not the smartest guys in the room. You are going to get the insolent brats with the pretty boys. The job of the coach is to be part teacher, part disciplinarian and part psychologist.

Keep SJ and protect against the downsides.

Maybe this is Stevie's way to get himself out of Buffalo. He may not want to be here next year and figures the more he does dumb stuff the easier it will be for the Bills to let him walk. Would you want to play for a losing franchise that shows absolutely no effort to get better? The owner sucks, the coach sucks and his QB sucks. He knows if he stays in Buffalo his chances of winning even a playoff spot are slim. I hope they resign him, but if he goes somewhere else I can't wait to see how he might tear it up on a real team. Could you see him w Brady.....he would be unstopable.

Just my opinion, in NE Stevie would be nearly invisible...just like Ocho

NE is a system team and relies upon a thick and beefy playbook with situational variations, and players who will assimilate it until its second nature.

All these folks saying that the Bills cannot afford to lose SJ.

Im sorry...what is their record of success WITH him?

So the Lions should have gotten rid of Calvin Johnson at the end of last year. I mean really, what was their record WITH him???? Dumb logic like that is why this team continues to suck. You have to keep decent players and compliment them. Not lose players and replace them!!!

IMO it's worse than what you suggest. It isn't that it wasn't a penalty last season than this season it was. To last year's crew it wasn't a penalty and to this crew (back judge) it was. I looked through all of the rule changes and there weren't any to unsportsmanlike conduct. This is a simple interpretation by one guy. To him the writing on the shirt was a prop.

It's pretty hard to argue that it wasn't premeditated, is it not? That the official didn't see it last year and was looking for it this year (and were so instructed as they missed it last year), shouldn't really be that big of a surprise. Well, maybe to Stevie and his apologists. B-)

1325514573[/url]' post='2351750']

You again put words in my mouth.

I did not say those elite players had to win Championships. I said they had to produce on a high level. That can be at any point during the game schedule.

I most certainly have not been proven wrong because the supporting material you brought to the table to counter my argument is not relevant in the least. When I say "ten cent head" I mean the type of player with ability and a primadonna attitude, but have never produced when the game is on the line to back up the big talk and other antics.

Get it now?

OH, THAT'S what ten cent head means??!?!! Yeah I get it now.....

Gailey probably lost more respect from the players in the locker room for the benching. Players want to win, and you don't earn respect from vets and rooks for benching one of your better players for a relatively innocuous play.

Gailey showed that his ego/pride is more important than winning, and that sentiment will definitely resonate with the players.

I disagree.

He most likely told the WHOLE team anybody that gets a 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty would get benched .

Stevie broke a team rule got benched. I would think that he would loss cred if he did not bench him.

Please don't lock this post...

Its about the lack of consistency in the NFL and officiating....

We have LB's and DE's ....doing sack dances.... example (the pee-wee herman).... no penalty or nuffin

WR's doing the chacha.... WR's talking smack to the opposing crowd ...no penalty.....

TE's spiking and Dunking Footballs....no penalty......

But stevie johnson ...... with a 15 yard penalty for a shirt that says "happy new year"...btw: the why so serious didn't get a penalty....

It wasn't obscene, it wasn't taunting, it didn't delay the game ...... instead of limiting what is an okay celebration.... the NFL might as well as end celebration all together .... because I'm not clear what is okay and what's not anymore

We have LB's and DE's ....doing sack dances.... example (the pee-wee herman).... no penalty or nuffin

WR's doing the chacha.... WR's talking smack to the opposing crowd ...no penalty.....

But stevie johnson ...... with a 15 yard penalty for a shirt that says "happy new year"...btw: the why so serious didn't get a penalty....

It wasn't obscene, it wasn't taunting, it didn't delay the game ...... instead of limiting what is an okay celebration.... the NFL might as well as end celebration all together .... because I'm not clear what is okay and what's not anymore

While I agree that there is lots of gray area, it is clear about pre-meditated celebrations. There is no way to deny that this was pre-meditated. GUILTY.

You can't go to the ground and no props...it's not rocket science.

And again, spiking, dunking, dancing and jumping in stands is specifically written in as legal. Going to the ground is specifically illegal.

If you read the rule instead of trying to figure it out from specific examples it really isnt that hard. How many players were flagged as many time as Stevie in the last two years? Doesn't seem so shady unless of course you are trying to push the boundaries.

Edited by NoSaint

No one else on the Bills, as far as I know, pre-plans his celebrations either.

The point is not what he did alone. It's the fact that he still planned something after the coach had to make a rule about what he did before. If that's me, I'm avoiding any and all situations that could be construed as excessive celebration. It tells me that no matter what is going on in a game, Johnson is still thinking about making the highlight reels and chat shows.

That doesn't mean the Bills shouldn't still sign him, but a lack of maturity is a red flag. I mean how many times do you have to tell a player "No" before they listen? Johnson would already have his deal if it weren't for this crap.

PTR

The point is not what he did alone. It's the fact that he still planned something after the coach had to make a rule about what he did before. If that's me, I'm avoiding any and all situations that could be construed as excessive celebration. It tells me that no matter what is going on in a game, Johnson is still thinking about making the highlight reels and chat shows.

That doesn't mean the Bills shouldn't still sign him, but a lack of maturity is a red flag. I mean how many times do you have to tell a player "No" before they listen? Johnson would already have his deal if it weren't for this crap.

PTR

I don't think that's why he doesn't have a deal yet, but it's certainly not going to help him in his negotiations with the Bills.

I don't think that's why he doesn't have a deal yet, but it's certainly not going to help him in his negotiations with the Bills.

Maybe not celebrations specifically but I bet it has more to do with maturity then hands, routes, speed or anything on field. It's almost certainly tied to trust.

PTR

Johnson's immaturity will definately hurt him in negotiations. Teams are tired of "Me First" players like SJ.

I am not saying don't sign him but I would put some clauses in the contract to protect the Bills against this type of crap in the future.

He most likely told the WHOLE team anybody that gets a 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty would get benched .

Stevie broke a team rule got benched. I would think that he (Gailey) would loss cred if he did not bench him.

That's fine and that point has been made several times now.

The counter argument is contained in the expressions pyrrhic victory and draconian measures.