The One and Only Stevie Johnson Thread

Simon

Why doesn't the oline or the dline just go over and beat the hell out of the guy until he gets it. There are no leaders on this team if a talented idiot is always allowed to do stupid things. It shouldn't be up to Chan to have to act like a Daddy to an ignoramus. Team leaders should simply kick his ass and keep kicking it until he gets it.

Perfect :thumbsup:

Can you imagine what Ray Lewis would think of this?

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because they don't get penalized doesn't make them any different than what SJ did or has done.

No, that is exactly what makes them different.

If Johnson limits his celebrations to actions that do not get penalized, then I'd bet my house that Chan couldn't care less.

But when selfish penalties result in 20 yards of field position that hand your opponents the ball out near midfield, that's when it becomes a problem.

To argue that Stevie must have thought it was okay since he didn't get a penalty last year is asinine. The guy was the talk of the league for a week after the Burress stupidity. He had to know the officials would be watching and that it WOULD be a penalty this time.

I'll take a stab at this... NO, Drew Bree's has been known to celebrate quite a bit, Him and Jimmy Graham dunk on the goal post. They don't hold hands and do it together. Very much a Me-First celebrations. Aaron Rodgers does the belt celebration, Clay Matthews does the Predator celebration. Those are both "me first" celebrations. Hell there is an entire commercial for the Predator celebration. Is it after a TD? no, but Matthews runs to the middle of the field, by himself, which makes it a very much about me celebration. Coaches all allow these. Just because they don't get penalized doesn't make them any different than what SJ did or has done. SJ never got penalized last year for writing on his shirt, he got fined. So that was the Refs call to throw the penalty, because as far as the rules go I don't think they changed. I think the poster was making the point that celebrations happen and to think they are going to go away is foolish.

And, if any of these drew penalties, do you think that Sean Payton and/or Mike McCarthy would not try to nip it in the bud, rather than allowing it to continue? How many times has Clay Matthews drawn a penalty? Whether the rules are fair or not is a different issue. I agree that the taunting level of the other celebrations is higher than that of a "Happy New Year" shirt. However, if Clay Matthews drew a 15-yard penalty after his sacks, would Mike McCarthy try to stop it from occurring again??

I'll take a stab at this... NO, Drew Bree's has been known to celebrate quite a bit, Him and Jimmy Graham dunk on the goal post. They don't hold hands and do it together. Very much a Me-First celebrations. Aaron Rodgers does the belt celebration, Clay Matthews does the Predator celebration. Those are both "me first" celebrations. Hell there is an entire commercial for the Predator celebration. Is it after a TD? no, but Matthews runs to the middle of the field, by himself, which makes it a very much about me celebration. Coaches all allow these. Just because they don't get penalized doesn't make them any different than what SJ did or has done. SJ never got penalized last year for writing on his shirt, he got fined. So that was the Refs call to throw the penalty, because as far as the rules go I don't think they changed. I think the poster was making the point that celebrations happen and to think they are going to go away is foolish.

WRONG, that EXACTLY what makes them different!! :wallbash:

There are celebrations that are allowed, and types that arent. The rules are there for everyone to see. After last year, you cant do what Stevie did. His fault for either not knowing or not caring.

Why doesn't the oline or the dline just go over and beat the hell out of the guy until he gets it. There are no leaders on this team if a talented idiot is always allowed to do stupid things. It shouldn't be up to Chan to have to act like a Daddy to an ignoramus. Team leaders should simply kick his ass and keep kicking it until he gets it.

Unfortunately there aren't any.

If Johnson limits his celebrations to actions that do not get penalized, then I'd bet my house that Chan couldn't care less.

But when selfish penalties result in 20 yards of field position that hand your opponents the ball out near midfield, that's when it becomes a problem.

But what makes the Lambeau leap not excessive, and a shirt statement excessive? I really would like a clear explanation here, and I don't think the league has one. If its a uniform violation, save it for the weekly fines. That is done all the time. If it's that the former is traditional and the latter isn't, well, Again, this reveals a poor rule.

And, if any of these drew penalties, do you think that Sean Payton and/or Mike McCarthy would not try to nip it in the bud, rather than allowing it to continue? How many times has Clay Matthews drawn a penalty? Whether the rules are fair or not is a different issue. I agree that the taunting level of the other celebrations is higher than that of a "Happy New Year" shirt. However, if Clay Matthews drew a 15-yard penalty after his sacks, would Mike McCarthy try to stop it from occurring again??

Well there in lies the problem. The inconsisstency of when and where they are called.

Or he is the beneficiary of a rule that is inconsistently enforced, which makes it a terrible rule.

You can't use props and a t-shirt is a prop.You can't go to the ground and "crashing a jet" is going to the ground.

There's no mystery or inconsistency about it and Johnson is either too stupid to get it or too selfish to care.

Either way, it is a problem.

Then it is his fault when he does something and is not called a penalty, so he is convinced that it is okay? That to me seems to be limiting his celebrations. I don't know what the official rule is, although one of the things I always thought Johnson should look up is what exactly is illegal. I'm not condoning it, I think it was selfish and stupid. But I understand why he would not think it was an excessive celebration.

You can't use props and a t-shirt is a prop.You can't go to the ground and "crashing a jet" is going to the ground.

There's no mystery or inconsistency about it and Johnson is either too stupid to get it or too selfish to care.

Isnt the football a prop in the context of the goalpost dunk? It's no different - something that was used in the game anyway (an undershirt, a football) used differently in celebration.

WRONG, that EXACTLY what makes them different!! :wallbash:

There are celebrations that are allowed, and types that arent. The rules are there for everyone to see. After last year, you cant do what Stevie did. His fault for either not knowing or not caring.

I meant doesn't make them any different in the idea of this "me-first" attitude. Which is what the poster was stating. Of course they are different because he got penalized. The the thing is he didn't get penalized last year when he did that. And as far as I'm aware, they didn't change the rules saying he coudln't do that. The problem is the inconsistency of the calls. When does celebrating become to much. Only after TDs. What about after a big play or are those excluded.

But what makes the Lambeau leap not excessive, and a shirt statement excessive? I really would like a clear explanation here, and I don't think the league has one. If its a uniform violation, save it for the weekly fines. That is done all the time. If it's that the former is traditional and the latter isn't, well, Again, this reveals a poor rule.

The League told players that flashing scrawling on their T-shirts was not going to be tolerated. That didn't seem to be received by how many players exactly?

As Simon just said:

1. No going to the ground. This is why Tebow must go to the sidelines as well. SJ ignores the rule.

2. No using props. SJ ignores this rule.

The rules are clear to the players that dont have to push the boundaries like they are 14 years old.

Go do it on the sideline, or better yet, just stop and act like a professional. Im all for having fun, but if he cant do it right, then it has to stop.

But he wasn't penalized last year. And what exactly is a prop. A football. A goalpost. Jumping into fans.

I meant doesn't make them any different in the idea of this "me-first" attitude. Which is what the poster was stating. Of course they are different because he got penalized. The the thing is he didn't get penalized last year when he did that. And as far as I'm aware, they didn't change the rules saying he coudln't do that. The problem is the inconsistency of the calls. When does celebrating become to much. Only after TDs. What about after a big play or are those excluded.

Except they DID change the rule, and it seems that the ONLY player in the league to not get the memo was SJ. I dont blame you as I dont think you are CC'ed on NFL memos. :thumbsup:

He either purposely didnt care, or didnt care enough to learn the rules. Either way, its on SJ.