The One and Only Stevie Johnson Thread

Simon

Why do you assume this? If I was playing on that team I would be furrious with SJ for pulling that ****. Both times he did that this year it cost both yards and momentum.

I've played on teams where the best player was benched, and it can work the other way; the team is fed up with a diva act and appreciates the coach putting an end to it.

+1

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does letting go of Stevie improve the team? Especially, given ralph's comments, that its likely we'll waste a 1st round pick on drafting stevie's replacement.

The Bengals seemed to do OK when they didn't bother bringing back their pair of diva queens... speaking of which I didn't see much Ocho Stinko today.

:thumbsup::beer:

1) WHAT was written on his shirt means nothing. It was simply the act that was the offense. Honestly, what is the point of doing anything like that after a score? - there is only one point - "Look At Me!". To do ANYTHING after being penalized/fined for it prior AND exlicitly being warned by coaches/management is just plain stupid and selfish.

It's incomprehensible to me how anyone who ever played on a team or coached a team can think it's OK to disregard explicit instructions from a coach (regardless of how innoccuous the transgression may seem) without actual consequences.

2) Benching him only for the first half does nothing. To bring him back into the game would not have been a punishment/message at all. The message was "you do crap like that, and don't listen, you hurt the team". Part of the punishment was having to stand there on the sidelines next to his teammates who he let down - knowing he was responsible for the situation and having to stand there like an idiot with no ability to affect the outcome while the game slipped away.

3) For the "Just Having Fun/No Fun League" crowd - honestly, I cannot believe some people actually find end zone celebrations entertaining at all. For the most part I think they are incredibly stupid - especially rehearsed ones. As a player - how about having fun by making catches and scoring TDs and playing the f'ing game?

4) I don't think this incident closes the door on the Bills signing him, but I do think honestly it gives the Bills leverage, and also helps force SJs hand on how he wants to react and proceed as a professional. I actually think this played into Chan's thinking on this as well - it was a stake in the ground. He can man up and be accountable and contrite (and change), or he can say he wants to take his clever scrawled t-shirts elsewhere.

1) WHAT was written on his shirt means nothing. It was simply the act that was the offense. Honestly, what is the point of doing anything like that after a score? - there is only one point - "Look At Me!". To do ANYTHING after being penalized/fined for it prior AND exlicitly being warned by coaches/management is just plain stupid and selfish.

It's incomprehensible to me how anyone who ever played on a team or coached a team can think it's OK to disregard explicit instructions from a coach (regardless of how innoccuous the transgression may seem) without actual consequences.

2) Benching him only for the first half does nothing. To bring him back into the game would not have been a punishment/message at all. The message was "you do crap like that, and don't listen, you hurt the team". Part of the punishment was having to stand there on the sidelines next to his teammates who he let down - knowing he was responsible for the situation and having to stand there like an idiot with no ability to affect the outcome while the game slipped away.

3) For the "Just Having Fun/No Fun League" crowd - honestly, I cannot believe some people actually find end zone celebrations entertaining at all. For the most part I think they are incredibly stupid - especially rehearsed ones. As a player - how about having fun by making catches and scoring TDs and playing the f'ing game?

4) I don't think this incident closes the door on the Bills signing him, but I do think honestly it gives the Bills leverage, and also helps force SJs hand on how he wants to react and proceed as a professional. I actually think this played into Chan's thinking on this as well - it was a stake in the ground. He can man up and be accountable and contrite (and change), or he can say he wants to take his clever scrawled t-shirts elsewhere.

I love you

Are you seriously comparing what Ruvell Martin did and saying he can replace Johsnons productivity? You can't be serious, you see him(Ruvell) as a 1000 yard 9 TD a year receiver?

Nope, just saying that Stevie Johnson isn't worth $7 mil more than a guy who came in off of the street, not even close. Like someone said here, where is Ochocinco now??? We don't NEED a guy like that on this team... the drops, the antics. Now we see why Cincinnati is where they are and the Bills still are talking about retaining players the Bengals got rid of.

This is the SAME talk I heard about Lee Evans, and it is mind boggling. Accepting mediocrity just because a player shows up once in a while with great plays is just NOT a winning formula.

:thumbsup::beer:

He's looking for the publicity. And getting it.

He knew he would be pulled from the gaame, and he did it. He did it anyway.

This means a couple things:

1. He knew the season was over anyhow.

2. He didn't care about getting pulled.

3. Getting the PUB was more important that playing out the game and season with his teammates.

These are exactly my sentiments. Gaily was 100% right to bench him. But bring him back next year.

Sign him for a reasonable number. That idiot probably doesn't realize it, but he just saved the bills some money with his stunt today.

still need to add another legit receiver to pair with him.

No he didn't. You all are way too emotional. He will get paid by someone what his play dictates he

should be paid. He won't lose out on the money you think he will. NFL teams want good, young players.

Johnson is that. The money will find him quickly.

Nope, just saying that Stevie Johnson isn't worth $7 mil more than a guy who came in off of the street, not even close. Like someone said here, where is Ochocinco now??? We don't NEED a guy like that on this team... the drops, the antics. Now we see why Cincinnati is where they are and the Bills still are talking about retaining players the Bengals got rid of.

This is the SAME talk I heard about Lee Evans, and it is mind boggling. Accepting mediocrity just because a player shows up once in a while with great plays is just NOT a winning formula.

Cincinnati is where they are cause they have a top defense, a top 5 defense in fact. So please spare me with the comparisons to Cinci. Johnson has talent, he has top 15 WR talent in the league. Those just don't grow on trees, or come of the streets as you put it. Reed, Moulds, Evans.. never had back to back 1000 yard receiving. EVER. And the guy is only 25! I agree with you about Evans, because he was never worth the #1 money we were paying him and hasn't done what Johnson has. We are getting top WR play from a 7th round pick, how often does this happen. And again we don't have the luxury of drafting a WR #1 overall(cinci)... We need to much help at OLB.

Edited by Wayne333

No he didn't. You all are way too emotional. He will get paid by someone what his play dictates he

should be paid. He won't lose out on the money you think he will. NFL teams want good, young players.

Johnson is that. The money will find him quickly.

No, emotional is wanting to overpay for a guy who makes plays occasionally and got 1,000 yards.

Let some other team overpay for him... that's what Colin Cowherd would say.

I love the thought process that Bills fans should be SO thankful that someone can get the ball in the end zone that we should be completely fine with that score coming with a completely unnecessary 15 yard penalty. Real winners mentality there folks!

btw, is it also cool if every other player on the team gets a me-me-me flag anytime they score or is this allowance reserved only for Johnson?

Stevie Johnson cost himself a long term contract with that move. The Bills will franchise him and make him prove he can behave for a full season before they show him any long term money.

Franchise him?!? Have you calculated what that would cost?!? YIKES!! :wallbash:

I say pay him $5 mil base with options to get him to his figure of 7.5. Show me more in a couple and re-negotiate.

Edited by BuffaloBud

Cincinnati is where they are cause they have a top defense, a top 5 defense in fact. So please spare me with the comparisons to Cinci. Johnson has talent, he has top 15 WR talent in the league. Those just don't grow on trees, or come of the streets as you put it. Reed, Moulds, Evans.. never had back to back 1000 yard receiving. EVER. And the guy is only 25! I agree with you about Evans, because he was never worth the #1 money we were paying him and hasn't done what Johnson has. We are getting top WR play from a 7th round pick, how often does this happen. And again we don't have the luxury of drafting a WR #1 overall(cinci)... We need to much help at OLB.

Talent? Leodis McKelvin has TALENT, but he's not starting CB material. TALENT is Ryan Leaf, but PERFORMANCE drives this league.

Reed, Moulds, and Evans MADE the playoffs. Stevie Johnson has his record and ZERO playoff appearances. Twisting statistics is a poor response for what I see on the field during the game- a guy who is not worth $7.5 mil a year.

My point is why spend this money on a guy who doesn't play like a top WR when our defense needs help badly, among other things?

Harmless act? Pulling up your jersey to reveal your undershirt is an automatic 15 yard penalty.

Apparently SJ was NOT penalized at the time for the "Why So Serious?" thing, just fined afterwards.

The thing is, Chan had apparently told the team, the next celebration penalty = benching. So he had to follow through.

He's an embarrassment to the Bills organization and an insult to his teammates.

This is a behavioral issue. As a Bills fan I'm proud of Stevie Johnson's effort and performance level in playing NFL football for our team. This team has seen so little of his level of play these past dozen years. I think he gets one more (final?) pass because he's still young and he can grow up mentally.

I think what Chan did was right. He essentially has nipped Stevie's foolishness in the bud. I find it almost impossible to believe that now that the blame will be squarely on Stevie going forward that he never gets another "celebration" penalty ever again the rest of his career. Because it's no longer about him having fun, it's now about him screwing his 52 other teammates over. Bravo move Chan.

Actually, this guy has had something to do with it.

http://www.nfl.com/player/a.j.green/2495450/profile