The One and Only Stevie Johnson Thread

Simon

Gailey probably lost more respect from the players in the locker room for the benching. Players want to win, and you don't earn respect from vets and rooks for benching one of your better players for a relatively innocuous play.

Gailey showed that his ego/pride is more important than winning, and that sentiment will definitely resonate with the players.

No. Stevie showed that HIS ego/pride was more important than winning.

This a million times over. Ramius it is hard for me to believe that anyone could see this as a ego move on Gaileys part. Not sure what you are thinking.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Stevie a lot. Think he's a good player and seems to be a pretty good guy. I enjoyed the "Why So Serious" t-shirt last year, I even laughed at the Burress celebration this year...BUT, if Gailey did tell the team he'd bench someone if they did anything ridiculous to cost the team, then Stevie is 100% to blame, not Gailey.

I agree the NFL's rules to excessive celebration are dumb, but Stevie needs listen to his coach.

I guess what I am asking is whether this will have a long term impact on Stevie financially, or does talent trump foolishness?

Depends on the talent level I would think. In Johnsons case between the choking and the childish behavior I think it would affect his bottom line. But who knows.

If we let him leave, he WILL sign with a team within the division, likely NYJs or NE, and for every 1 game he single-handedly loses for his new team against us, he'll destroy us in 9.

We might as well replace him with a 1st round DB we'll draft in the spring.

yea thatll be a fun first day in the WR meeting with the jets.

what he doesnt seem to get is he will burn bridges, and people wont want to deal with the non-sense

Gailey probably lost more respect from the players in the locker room for the benching. Players want to win, and you don't earn respect from vets and rooks for benching one of your better players for a relatively innocuous play.

Gailey showed that his ego/pride is more important than winning, and that sentiment will definitely resonate with the players.

any player he lost by benching a guy for repeatedly costing the team 15 yards for after the play nonsense, is not a player that needs to be here anyway. you win by eliminating penalties. if your players wont stop, you have to stop them.

yea thatll be a fun first day in the WR meeting with the jets.

what he doesnt seem to get is he will burn bridges, and people wont want to deal with the non-sense

I disagree. He isn't a locker room cancer, as far as we know. It wasn't a smart decision, granted. But he didn't get penalized last time he lifted his shirt up at Cinci, so I can imagine that was his thinking, that he wouldn't be penalized again.

I have a honest question for the fans who want to let him walk now. Who do you replace his productivity with? Because Buddy has stated they won't be big in FA with the building through the draft philosohy(which I agree with). And there is no way the Bills go WR with their #1 pick or their #2 one either. Not with the glaring needs at OLB/DE. So how to you replace a WR who averaged 1000 yards and 8.5 TDs in 2 years?

Productivity? Did you see what Ruvell Martin (yes, Ruvell Martin, a street guy) did today??? This team also gave up 49 points, and as far as I'm concerned, Stevie Johnson isn't going to play defense. We have the ability to find a replacement for him, but it will be our ability to IMPROVE OUR OVERALL TEAM that will get us to where we want to be. We can't do that by paying Stevie Johnson $7.5 mil.

This a million times over. Ramius it is hard for me to believe that anyone could see this as a ego move on Gaileys part. Not sure what you are thinking.

Benching him for a series or possibly the rest of the first half makes the point. Benching him for the game shows immaturity on Gailey's part. Seems it was a vain struggle to grab some control of the team, which he has clearly lost. This will only push players further away.

As GG said, look at the problems Gailey had in Dallas with Aikman, etc. The old man thinks he's above the players, and in today's NFL the coach isn't. (with a few rare exceptions)

The only "lesson" that Gailey showed was that he's willing to put winning on the back burner. That attitude will NOT endear him to the players nor will it make players want to stay/come here.

1) WHAT was written on his shirt means nothing. It was simply the act that was the offense. Honestly, what is the point of doing anything like that after a score? - there is only one point - "Look At Me!". To do ANYTHING after being penalized/fined for it prior AND exlicitly being warned by coaches/management is just plain stupid and selfish.

It's incomprehensible to me how anyone who ever played on a team or coached a team can think it's OK to disregard explicit instructions from a coach (regardless of how innoccuous the transgression may seem) without actual consequences.

2) Benching him only for the first half does nothing. To bring him back into the game would not have been a punishment/message at all. The message was "you do crap like that, and don't listen, you hurt the team". Part of the punishment was having to stand there on the sidelines next to his teammates who he let down - knowing he was responsible for the situation and having to stand there like an idiot with no ability to affect the outcome while the game slipped away.

3) For the "Just Having Fun/No Fun League" crowd - honestly, I cannot believe some people actually find end zone celebrations entertaining at all. For the most part I think they are incredibly stupid - especially rehearsed ones. As a player - how about having fun by making catches and scoring TDs and playing the f'ing game?

4) I don't think this incident closes the door on the Bills signing him, but I do think honestly it gives the Bills leverage, and also helps force SJs hand on how he wants to react and proceed as a professional. I actually think this played into Chan's thinking on this as well - it was a stake in the ground. He can man up and be accountable and contrite (and change), or he can say he wants to take his clever scrawled t-shirts elsewhere.

Productivity? Did you see what Ruvell Martin (yes, Ruvell Martin, a street guy) did today??? This team also gave up 49 points, and as far as I'm concerned, Stevie Johnson isn't going to play defense. We have the ability to find a replacement for him, but it will be our ability to IMPROVE OUR OVERALL TEAM that will get us to where we want to be. We can't do that by paying Stevie Johnson $7.5 mil.

Are you seriously comparing what Ruvell Martin did and saying he can replace Johsnons productivity? You can't be serious, you see him(Ruvell) as a 1000 yard 9 TD a year receiver?

How does letting go of Stevie improve the team? Especially, given ralph's comments, that its likely we'll waste a 1st round pick on drafting stevie's replacement.

Gailey probably lost more respect from the players in the locker room for the benching.

Why do you assume this? If I was playing on that team I would be furrious with SJ for pulling that ****. Both times he did that this year it cost both yards and momentum.

I've played on teams where the best player was benched, and it can work the other way; the team is fed up with a diva act and appreciates the coach putting an end to it.

+1

There is no need to let talent walk. How about getting some complementary talent next to him? But no, he's gonna walk, and we'll waste our #1 pick on a WR.

Talent? Let the moron go create penalties and drop passes for his new team.

Bring your ranting and raving here folks!

And just so y'all know, I am completely done with all the flaming and name-calling I've been dealing with today.

I'm currently passing out vacations like Halloween candy so if yo can't keep it civil, find another board.

Sign him and bring him back, but give him a brain transplant. He's a well-meaning idiot.