The One and Only Stevie Johnson Thread

Simon

No, emotional is wanting to overpay for a guy who makes plays occasionally and got 1,000 yards.

Let some other team overpay for him... that's what Colin Cowherd would say.

7.5 million is not a lot of money at all. It's middle of the pack money. If the dude was

asking for 9-10 million it would be different. There is no reason not to pay him that.

Some other team will definitely give him that little bit of nothing. He's young. He's a good

player. He plays hurt. He has a good work ethic. He will get paid easily. It's not even

a question.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the thought process that Bills fans should be SO thankful that someone can get the ball in the end zone that we should be completely fine with that score coming with a completely unnecessary 15 yard penalty. Real winners mentality there folks!

btw, is it also cool if every other player on the team gets a me-me-me flag anytime they score or is this allowance reserved only for Johnson?

We're not in a vacuum, you know. This one play isn't the first time, and of course he ALWAYS makes big catches (sarcasm alert)... you act as if they guy is a Pro Bowl receiver when he is not.

Franchise him?!? Have you calculated what that would cost?!? YIKES!! :wallbash:

I say pay him $5 mil base with options to get him to his figure of 7.5. Show me more in a couple and re-negotiate.

You mean, offer him a contract worth $5M base with options to get to 7.5, then watch him leave as another team offers him at least 6.5 per? Just clarifying.

Franchise him?!? Have you calculated what that would cost?!? YIKES!! :wallbash:

I say pay him $5 mil base with options to get him to his figure of 7.5. Show me more in a couple and re-negotiate.

Yes--that's certainly preferable to letting him walk for nada, which is absolutely the one thing we can't do. I think Gailey did the right thing today if it was a well-laid out team rule as some here have said. I just hope that Stevie has the maturity to (a) understand this, respect it and realize he let his teammates down and (b) not let it affect his decision on where to play next year. He and Fitz have chemistry that isn't easy to replace, especially on a team that even with SJ has so many holes, including at WR2. I really hope that this offseason isn't another 2 steps forward and 3 steps back one we're recently used to....

I don't particularly love what Stevie did; if it were me, I'd spike the ball and move on. BUT...I reached a point years ago where I am more tired of people complaining about this stuff. By rule, it may have deserved a penalty. The rule should be changed. It was a completely harmless act. There should be three considerations when making an excessive celebration call: 1st, does it delay the game. 2nd, was it done to deliberately provoke a reaction from the other team. And 3rd, was it profane. As far as I am concerned, everything else is fair game.

I am not entirely convinced he was benched, either. He has been banged up the whole year, and it is possible that the coaches planned to give him the rest of the day off once he broke 1,000 yards. I certainly wouldn't assume he was being punished just because Randy Cross says so.

The rule should be changed?

Do you really want the refs and the announcers to labor through your checklist? That will delay the game.

1. Does it delay the game? -- judgement call

2. DSid it deliberately provoke the other team? -- judgemnent call

3. Was it profane? -- judgement call.

Are you really interested in reading what these clowns put on their shirts? I am not.

How about acting like men and showing some sportmanship? I am tired of the showboating. I am missing how this makes the game better and more fun.

Stevie Johnson made a dumb mistake & was probably warned by Gailey before the game that if he got a penalty for excessive celebration, he would be benched.

He isn't mature enough to play in the NFL.

If he did a stunt like that playing for the Patriots or any playoff team he would be benched as well. His teamates would probably beat him up.

he is paid a professional wage to play the game.

He is not a child & his antics are not appreciated.

The Bills have enough problems without having to worry about Stevie Johnson making a fool of himself during celebrations.

The Bills will not resign him & have the perfect excuse to let him go to another team.

His dumb move cost him money for whatever team he plays for next year, because they will argue he has character issues.

So I suppose the phrase cutting off your nose to spite your face means nothing to some of you. I can see benching him for a half to make a point.

While I agree the act was stupid and uncalled for, even tho it was harmless, Its the point of discipline.

But with Chandler hurt and Johnson on the bench it only ensured a loss, considering the Bills didn't score again after Johnson was benched.

Really? Because the precedent would be Welker's foot comments re: Ryan. It got him benched for a bit of the game and then he came in. Chan was less serious about winning this game than about teaching Stevie a lesson.

No fun league (unless you're Aaron Hernandez high-stepping into the end zone).

Happy New Year.

You just proved my point. Welker made a joke in the media, and didnt cost his team anything, and still got benched.

This was Stevie's second time in another divisional game that cost his team 15 yards.

After the Jets fiasco (which I blamed on Rayner), Stevie took responsibility for it in his post-game. But apparently he didnt learn anything from it. So the lesson had to be taught to him. This was all Stevie's doing. Dont force your parent's hand and then get mad when you get punished. If he wants to get paid a lot of money to do a job, then he needs to be a professional and a team player.

The rule should be changed?

Do you really want the refs and the announcers to labor through your checklist? That will delay the game.

1. Does it delay the game? -- judgement call

2. DSid it deliberately provoke the other team? -- judgemnent call

3. Was it profane? -- judgement call.

Are you really interested in reading what these clowns put on their shirts? I am not.

How about acting like men and showing some sportmanship? I am tired of the showboating. I am missing how this makes the game better and more fun.

I'm all for a rule change. It would be simpler if the officials just threw showboaters out of the game. :devil:

So I suppose the phrase cutting off your nose to spite your face means nothing to some of you. I can see benching him for a half to make a point.

While I agree the act was stupid and uncalled for, even tho it was harmless, Its the point of discipline.

But with Chandler hurt and Johnson on the bench it only ensured a loss, considering the Bills didn't score again after Johnson was benched.

Stevie chose to go out of his way to ensure that loss.

Stevie was Dumb for "celebrating" again but like any Child if you let em get away with it they will keep doing it. So Chan did the right thing by benching him and I think it will go along way towards keeping the players in line and they will respect Chan for it.

Stevie is a good could be great receiver as he owned Revis like no other but he needs to get his act together or he will be going else where.

The only thing I can fault Stevie for is not having a great since of humor. If Chan would get this emotional when his coaches devise a garbage game plan or by the fact that we missed the playoffs again then maybe I would think he has a clue. The fact of the matter is when players score touchdowns they celebrate....this is not the 1970 NFL anymore so lets not assume immaturity when it happens, get over it. I'm surprised by the posters that feel that no one is good enough to be a Buffalo Bill because there was such a display of inappropriateness by having Happy New Year on your shirt..on Jan. 1. I'm sure he will be successful at his next stop if he leaves. I would like to see Chan focus on building a winning philosophy than sweating the stupidly small stuff. Its been so long since we have had a decent team that we have lost focus on what really matters, building a winner without any preconceived conditions like building by the draft. All of the winning teams build any way they can because they are more concerned with producing a winner than how they are building the winner. I can't say we have taken any steps forward this year.

Edited by VADC Bills

Benching him for a series or possibly the rest of the first half makes the point. Benching him for the game shows immaturity on Gailey's part. Seems it was a vain struggle to grab some control of the team, which he has clearly lost. This will only push players further away.

As GG said, look at the problems Gailey had in Dallas with Aikman, etc. The old man thinks he's above the players, and in today's NFL the coach isn't. (with a few rare exceptions)

The only "lesson" that Gailey showed was that he's willing to put winning on the back burner. That attitude will NOT endear him to the players nor will it make players want to stay/come here.

Benching a player for a series is something you do to a little league kid whose parents pay to have junior on the team. Bench him for a half, that is a high school tactic.

Stevie broke a team rule. He is a repeat offender. Chan had to do it because Stevie forced his hand.

I would not want players on my team that did not understand this and and that do not side with the coach.

Bellichek would have done the same thing as the "old man".

All NFL coaches are above the players unless the coach allows otherwise. Kudos to Chan for holding Johnson accountable to the rules.

The only thing I can fault Stevie for is not having a great since of humor. If Chan would get this emotional when his coaches devise a garbage game plan or by the fact that we missed the playoffs again then maybe I would think he has a clue. The fact of the matter is when player score touchdowns they celebrate....this is not the 1970 NFL anymore so lets not assume immaturity when it happens, get over it. I'm surprised by the posters that feel that no one is good enough to be a Buffalo Bill because there was such a display of inappropriateness by having Happy New Year on your shirt..on Jan. 1. I'm sure he will be successful at his next stop if he leaves. I would like to see Chan focused on building a winning philosophy than sweating the stupidly small stuff. Its been so long since we have had a decent team that we have lost focus on what really matters, building a winner without any preconceived conditions like building by the draft. All of the winning teams build any way they can because they are more concerned with producing a winner than how they are building the winner.

Has Rob Gronkowski or Aaron Hernandez drawn multiple celebration penalties this season for going outside the rules? Yes, Hernandez celebrated - he did not draw a penalty and if he did would it have been premeditated and repeated?

How about the Green Bay Packers, do their players celebrate? Yes, they do. Do they draw multiple unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in a single season?

New Orleans Saints?

Forget the 1970 NFL and preconceived notions. Please identify the teams in the NFL, in the current year, that have both a playoff record and a culture that allows me-first celebration. Please identify the showboats on the divisional leaders. Please point at the coaches of playoff teams that are not known for running a tight ship. That would make a stronger argument that the team should overlook this behavior.

IMO some people watch this just as much for the "entertainment" as for the game.

I could not imagine that type of behavior translating very well on a good team and even worse on a play off team.

What part of team player is so hard too understand? Very frustrating.

It was stupid. No doubt. But he did the same thing last year, wrote on the shirt and didn't get penalized for it. He had to think that was okay, and he just said Happy New Year. It wasn't excessive, it was something he did before. And they gave him a penalty this time.

No question that he shouldn't have done it, and I am not a big fan of any kind of excessive celebration. But there is a difference IMO about what he did, and if he really did some ridiculous roll in the endzone like he did before.

IMO, Gailey should have benched him for the rest of the half and that's it.

I also think it will have no effect whatsoever on whether he is re-signed or not. He is what he is, and that is an excellent WR who makes plays and drops passes he needs to catch. I highly doubt he will begrudge Gailey for that. He probably thinks he should have played but this shouldn't really reflect what he does in the off season. If we give him the 7.5 or so he wants, and we should, he will sign (if that is true and what he wants).

Has Rob Gronkowski or Aaron Hernandez drawn multiple celebration penalties this season for going outside the rules? Yes, Hernandez celebrated - he did not draw a penalty and if he did would it have been premeditated and repeated?

How about the Green Bay Packers, do their players celebrate? Yes, they do. Do they draw multiple unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in a single season?

New Orleans Saints?

Forget the 1970 NFL and preconceived notions. Please identify the teams in the NFL, in the current year, that have both a playoff record and a culture that allows me-first celebration. Please identify the showboats on the divisional leaders. Please point at the coaches of playoff teams that are not known for running a tight ship. That would make a stronger argument that the team should overlook this behavior.

I'll take a stab at this... NO, Drew Bree's has been known to celebrate quite a bit, Him and Jimmy Graham dunk on the goal post. They don't hold hands and do it together. Very much a Me-First celebrations. Aaron Rodgers does the belt celebration, Clay Matthews does the Predator celebration. Those are both "me first" celebrations. Hell there is an entire commercial for the Predator celebration. Is it after a TD? no, but Matthews runs to the middle of the field, by himself, which makes it a very much about me celebration. Coaches all allow these. Just because they don't get penalized doesn't make them any different than what SJ did or has done. SJ never got penalized last year for writing on his shirt, he got fined. So that was the Refs call to throw the penalty, because as far as the rules go I don't think they changed. I think the poster was making the point that celebrations happen and to think they are going to go away is foolish.

Why doesn't the oline or the dline just go over and beat the hell out of the guy until he gets it. There are no leaders on this team if a talented idiot is always allowed to do stupid things. It shouldn't be up to Chan to have to act like a Daddy to an ignoramus. Team leaders should simply kick his ass and keep kicking it until he gets it.

Stevie Johnson just had to apply logic. If there was twitter crap about celebrations and possible fines about a potential celebration, why couldn't you conclude about a possible penalty?

Unless it's bad officiating or a ref misses a call that week penalties come before fines?

He is either stupid or like many have questioned knows he won't be here next year.