The One and Only Stevie Johnson Thread

Simon

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they really gonna hand a huge signing bonus to a guy with such poor judgment? The Kynch situation suggests that the answer is absolutely not.

I dunno, they just gave Fitzpatrick a huge deal and he makes stupid decisions with the ball every week.

1325465678[/url]' post='2350987']

Million Dollar Body....ten cent head.

Players with ten cent heads win Championships.....NEVER.

Bye Stevie....dont forget to pack up your Sharpies and Twitter feed when you leave.

Ron artest won titles. Doc gooden won titles, santonio Holmes won a title, Mike Tyson, Pete Rose, Dennis rodman, big Ben, mark McGwire, Plaxico, Nate newton..... All off the top of my head, won titles. We need Stevie. We lose another good player, we get worse. When he got benched, we did nothing offensively.

Here are the official rules. There is nothing that he did, IMO, against these rules.

Article 1 There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct. This applies to any act which is contrary to the

generally understood principles of sportsmanship. Such acts specifically include, among others:

(a) Throwing a punch, or a forearm, or kicking at an opponent even though no contact is made.

(b) The use of abusive, threatening, or insulting language or gestures to opponents, teammates, officials,

or representatives of the League.

TAUNTING

© The use of baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.

(d) Individual players involved in prolonged or excessive celebrations. Players are prohibited from

engaging in any celebrations while on the ground. A celebration shall be deemed excessive or

prolonged if a player continues to celebrate after a warning from an official.

(e) Two-or-more players engage in prolonged, excessive, premeditated, or choreographed celebrations.

(f) Possession or use of foreign or extraneous object(s) that are not part of the uniform during the game

on the field or the sideline, or using the ball as a prop.

I dont think writing on a shirt is a foreign or extraneous object.

Here are the official rules. There is nothing that he did, IMO, against these rules.

Article 1 There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct. This applies to any act which is contrary to the

generally understood principles of sportsmanship. Such acts specifically include, among others:

(a) Throwing a punch, or a forearm, or kicking at an opponent even though no contact is made.

(b) The use of abusive, threatening, or insulting language or gestures to opponents, teammates, officials,

TAUNTING

© The use of baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.

(d) Individual players involved in prolonged or excessive celebrations. Players are prohibited from

engaging in any celebrations while on the ground. A celebration shall be deemed excessive or

(e) Two-or-more players engage in prolonged, excessive, premeditated, or choreographed celebrations.

(f) Possession or use of foreign or extraneous object(s) that are not part of the uniform during the game

I doubt his undershirt is "part of the uniform."

I don't think the call is the issue. I have no problem with the call in this respect, I do however, have a problem with the call when Aaron Hernandez high steps into the end zone and Gronkowski winds up and spikes the ball as hard as he possibly can.

TAUNTING

His undershirt is not part of his uniform. As a matter of fact, he has to remove his uniform to show off his prop shirt.

Im not thrilled on the call, or the refs in general, but it is what it is. And either way, Stevie knew he was pushing the rules well before he did it.

You're 6-9, maybe wait until after beating the divisional rivals to celebrate? Wouldnt winning be the best thing to celebrate?

My guess is that most of the players are aligned behind Stevie than behind Chan. Sure he's an immature imbecile, but he delivers on the field and that's what players care about. Wins & losses.

Thanks Chan for reinforcing your reputation.

ya he sure delivers, 5 catches a game for 80 or so yards WOW!, oh and one or two drops a game, oh and 1 big penalty a game that usually starts a collapse. oh and two huge game losing drops.

I have yet to see him "deliver" anything good without something bad along with it the next play or next game.

His undershirt is not part of his uniform. As a matter of fact, he has to remove his uniform to show off his prop shirt.

Im not thrilled on the call, or the refs in general, but it is what it is. And either way, Stevie knew he was pushing the rules well before he did it.

You're 6-9, maybe wait until after beating the divisional rivals to celebrate? Wouldnt winning be the best thing to celebrate?

Where are there any foreign or extraneous "objects"? Ink?

I don't think he knew he was pushing the rules. There is a huge difference between what he did and his "celebrations" like the cannon and the Jet rolling and the Plaxico thing. Those were monumentally stupid and he should have known better. That is excessive and you can't roll on the ground, he should have known that before and he definitely does now. That is what he promised not to do, the excessive celebrations. I guarantee he was never told by the league that he would get a penalty for the writing on his shirt and I guarantee he thought he wasn't pushing the rules. Guys celebrate. Guys do pre-mediated things all the time. He did it before and got no penalty. If that happened to me, or if it happened to you, with "Why So Serious?" I would never think that "Happy New Year" would even approach being a penalty.

I'm not supporting him or the move. I think it was selfish and completely unnecessary. But it surely wasn't malicious or flaunting of the team or league rules. According to the league, by experience, it was within the rules. Ink is not a prop, sorry.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Ron artest won titles. Doc gooden won titles, santonio Holmes won a title, Mike Tyson, Pete Rose, Dennis rodman, big Ben, mark McGwire, Plaxico, Nate newton..... All off the top of my head, won titles. We need Stevie. We lose another good player, we get worse. When he got benched, we did nothing offensively.

Those are all TERRIBLE examples becuase when it came to crunch time, ALL those althletes stepped up. They had issues, but they got the job done. Wake me the FIRST time Stevie does.

Pete Rose compared to Stevie Johnson? Please. Rose would beat the **** out of Stevie if he coached or played with him and saw him pulling crap like he did today.

His undershirt. Its not part of his uniform. It is a custom shirt that he has to remove his actual uniform to show. It might be a ticky-tack interpretation, but it is.

The rule says objects. Ink is not an oblect. It is not a prop. Those are things you can hold or move. Almost every player wears undershirts. Some have team names on them. Some are colleges. There are all kinds. What if he would have had a tee shirt that was silk screened Happy New Year because that is what it said on his t-shirt and he lifted it up. Would that be a prop? Would that get a penalty? Probably not. This should not either, unless they make a specific rule or ruling on it, which they likely will now.

The rule should be changed?

Do you really want the refs and the announcers to labor through your checklist? That will delay the game.

1. Does it delay the game? -- judgement call

2. DSid it deliberately provoke the other team? -- judgemnent call

3. Was it profane? -- judgement call.

Are you really interested in reading what these clowns put on their shirts? I am not.

How about acting like men and showing some sportmanship? I am tired of the showboating. I am missing how this makes the game better and more fun.

:thumbsup: For me, having fun watching an NFL game is related to how my team plays. Having a guy do some contrived dance just looks stupid. You want humor? They should show more shots of we fans in the stands.

The rule says objects. Ink is not an oblect. It is not a prop. Those are things you can hold or move. Almost every player wears undershirts. Some have team names on them. Some are colleges. There are all kinds. What if he would have had a tee shirt that was silk screened Happy New Year because that is what it said on his t-shirt and he lifted it up. Would that be a prop? Would that get a penalty? Probably not. This should not either, unless they make a specific rule or ruling on it, which they likely will now.

Yes and yes, in this case. It is a piece of clothing other than his uniform, that he has to remove his uniform to showoff. I understand the confusion, but the league got him on this one.

He should have known better.

ESPECIALLY after the Jets fiasco.

ESPECIALLY after Chan laid down his rule.

Do you think he learned his lesson NOW? Or will you give him another pass next time?

interesting thread... interesting topic.

my 2 cents would be that i think these are 2 separate issues that are being considered as a whole:

1) stevie was benched today

2) stevie is, as of tonight at midnight, a free agent

Chan made the decision to bench him as a coach - not as a GM.

Buddy can choose to resign him as a GM, based on his production, not off of his histrionics today.

I do think the Bills and Stevie will work out a deal. we have to spend to the cap, and there's quite a bit of room for us to get there!

Stevie's asking price is reasonable, and when negotiations open up in say, a month or 2, this incident will have lost some of the "importance" that it seems to be carrying at this time.

stevie is a great receiver. the way he is able to move his body in space, as a natural athlete, is quite remarkable, and something i haven't seen on this team since willis mcgahee. to lose him would be a shame. kobe bryant and shaq had 2 of the biggest egos in sports, and were impossible to deal with (together) from a coach's perspective. yet they won back to back to back titles. it is up to gailey to figure out how to reign in stevie's ego, and harness that passion for the good of the team. perhaps todays benching is the first step in that direction. it is now up to nix to figure out how to financially reign him in, for the good of the team.

Edited by JohnnyGold