The One and Only Stevie Johnson Thread

Simon

Some of the fines the league levies for these things are not really penalties.

:blink:

Have to disagree. Usually when someone is fined it is precisely because (a) a penalty that should have been called was not called, or (b) the conduct was so egregious it warranted more than jut an on-field penalty. The only thing I've seen them get fined for that isn't an on-field penalty is improper uniform wearing (i.e., low socks, etc, stupid **** like that). I don't think that was the justification for the first fine on SJ.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he thought that something he could be fined for would NEVER be called a penalty, then he is an idiot. I cant believe you, of all posters, would defend such a lack of logic.

I dont care that they were ok with the fine. That's even worse, frankly. Why is it that important in a divisional game? Obviously the game wasnt his first priority, so he shouldnt be upset he got benched. He got to show his cute little shirt.

Maybe he could try out for Project Runway? That's supposed to be "entertainment" too.

He told his kid he was going to do it yesterday and his kid tweeted him that he should do it, and that "Mom" said it was ok if you get fined for it. It was harmless and he knew it was a fine but never thought it would be a penalty, and why would he?

I am not defending it. I think it was selfish and stupid and I think Simon's description was probably most accurate, it was "foolish and unnecessary". That's all it was. He wasn't defying his coach or the NFL.

Daddy if you score do wut u told me u were going to do ok? Mommy said its ok if they fine you, jus dnt 4get her M&Ms!

:blink:

Have to disagree. Usually when someone is fined it is precisely because (a) a penalty that should have been called was not called, or (b) the conduct was so egregious it warranted more than jut an on-field penalty. The only thing I've seen them get fined for that isn't an on-field penalty is improper uniform wearing (i.e., low socks, etc, stupid **** like that). I don't think that was the justification for the first fine on SJ.

Why wouldn't you? That's exactly what it was, an improper uniform wearing thing.

For me all the parsing and hand wringing over the letter of the rule is irrelevant. It makes zero difference whether there is consistency with the written rule or other celebrations throughout the league. If you've had issues before, and have been told in no uncertain terms to cut it out, then just DON'T DO ANYTHING. Don't even get near a situation where there is any possibility for interpretation. Just don't friggin do anything! It is completely in your control. Just don't do anything! Why why why do you do something anyway? Because you are an attention whore and putting that before team. Oh - and because it's "fun" - give me a break. That is the stupidity and the thing that to me is hard to get past. As Chan mentioned, the most egregious thing was not learning from the previous mistakes. Show some maturity and ability to grow as a professional. Get your priorities straight.

For me all the parsing and hand wringing over the letter of the rule is irrelevant. It makes zero difference whether there is consistency with the written rule or other celebrations throughout the league. If you've had issues before, and have been told in no uncertain terms to cut it out, then just DON'T DO ANYTHING. Don't even get near a situation where there is any possibility for interpretation. Just don't friggin do anything! It is completely in your control. Just don't do anything! Why why why do you do something anyway? Because you are an attention whore and putting that before team. Oh - and because it's "fun" - give me a break. That is the stupidity and the thing that to me is hard to get past. As Chan mentioned, the most egregious thing was not learning from the previous mistakes. Show some maturity and ability to grow as a professional. Get your priorities straight.

Spot on.

Fred Jackson got fined (and knew he would be) for putting "D III" in his eye black a ways back. No penalty. There are "fineable" offenses that aren't penalties and they usually have to do with uniform modifications and violations, and celebrations.

I don't mind these guys being able to express a little individuality when most of what passes for distinction is by-the-book play-it-safe self-effacement/goofiness (Manning, Rodgers) or douchey excellence (Brady), or out-and-out taunting and hot-dogging (Aaron Hernandez today, Whitner or Maybin after jumping in on a team tackle 15 yards downfield). There is plenty of "work hard," "execute," "one game at a time" to go around. Stevie is only hurting the team by getting penalties that at best are inconsistently called, as both he and his coach made clear. I hope he doesn't do it again. But anyone crying for his head and saying the Bills shouldn't re-sign him is really losing sight of the fact that this is the first Bills receiver EVER to have back to back 1,000 yard seasons. We have nobody, and I mean nobody, to step up in his place, and yet fans want to run him out of town.

I hope you (and I don't mean you, directly, DD) don't get what you wish for with yet another Bills talent leaving and being replaced with yet another high draft pick.

+1

Couldnt have said it better. But according to some in this topic, 1000 yard seasons aren't that big of a deal.

He told his kid he was going to do it yesterday and his kid tweeted him that he should do it, and that "Mom" said it was ok if you get fined for it. It was harmless and he knew it was a fine but never thought it would be a penalty, and why would he?

I am not defending it. I think it was selfish and stupid and I think Simon's description was probably most accurate, it was "foolish and unnecessary". That's all it was. He wasn't defying his coach or the NFL.

Why wouldn't you? That's exactly what it was, an improper uniform wearing thing.

Unfortunately, making his wife and kid happy does not win games.

Unfortunately, his wife and kids do not officiate the games.

Unfortunately, his wife and kids do not make the rules.

It's called entertainment for a reason. These aren't suit wearing bankers. As stated before, lot of players celebrate! Even the good ones. Do they all get penalties? No. It's called inconsistent. And Chan was just as baffled at the call, you need to watch the PC. If you don't like the "entertainment" you are watching its simple. Change the channel.

+1

Couldnt have said it better. But according to some in this topic, 1000 yard seasons aren't that big of a deal.

Considering that there's over a dozen of them this year and that Stevie is behind guys like Nate Washington, jimmy Graham, Hakeem Nicks, Margues Colston, etc and is ahead of guys like Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Greg Jennings, etc; I'd have to say it's not all that meaningful a yardage stick.

It's called entertainment for a reason. These aren't suit wearing bankers. As stated before, lot of players celebrate! Even the good ones. Do they all get penalties? No. It's called inconsistent. And Chan was just as baffled at the call, you need to watch the PC. If you don't like the "entertainment" you are watching its simple. Change the channel.

It's called football for a reason. And for many fans, football is entertaining enough.

If you want to watch celebrations and dances, Im sure there are shows that would better suit your tastes. Dancing with the Stars, Project Runway, etc.

And the league tends to agree with us football fans, as evidenced in their rules.

You had me until the bold part. The word prop may come from the word property, but it does not mean "property."

There are a few definitions of the word property, and "prop" came from one of them, not the "land" definition, but the definition used like in "it's someone's property", they own it, an object. The reason it's important here is "prop", always, is a tangible object, a thing. Something you can hold or move. I said before, ink in a bottle is a prop (the bottle), ink in a pen is a prop (the pen is a prop). Ink on a shirt is not a prop. And what they penalized him was for the ink on the shirt, not the shirt. So if he read the rule book he wouldnt assume writing was against the rules.

Small acting troupes formed during the renaissance, travelled throughout Europe. These "companies," functioning as cooperatives, pooled resources and divided any income. Many performers provided their own costumes, but special items: stage weapons, furniture or other hand-held devices were considered "company property," thus the term "property," which eventually was shortened to "prop."[1][2] The first known props were stylized hand held masks, called Onkoi, used by performers in "Greek Theatre" and have become symbols of theatre today, known as the "comedy and tragedy masks".
Edited by Kelly the Dog

My guess is that most of the players are aligned behind Stevie than behind Chan. Sure he's an immature imbecile, but he delivers on the field and that's what players care about. Wins & losses.

Thanks Chan for reinforcing your reputation.

What reputation? WTF are you talking about?

"There is one way," former NFL quarterback Kordell Stewart once said about Gailey's approach. "It's not his way or my way, but the right way. It's not who's right, but what's right."

Nobody, however, ever accused Gailey of being anything less than a straight shooter.

"He can be very direct and blunt and intense, and not just in film work -- on the field in practice and games," Fiedler said.

"He's a good speaker," Huard said. "He's very good in front of the team. I thought he was able to get guys motivated. His personality is pretty much what you see is what you get from week to week. In the NFL, with the roller coaster ride that it is, you need someone who's consistent."

"He's a man of great integrity and faith, and he's a man of his word," Edwards said. "He tells his players straight. There's no gray area with Chan. He lets you know how he feels."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article80986.ece

Get your facts straight before you spew this BS.

I might be mad at Gailey for his playcalling and his handling of DC but to say the guy has a shady reputations is utter BS.

Considering that there's over a dozen of them this year and that Stevie is behind guys like Nate Washington, jimmy Graham, Hakeem Nicks, Margues Colston, etc and is ahead of guys like Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Greg Jennings, etc; I'd have to say it's not all that meaningful a yardage stick.

No Buffalo Bill WR has ever had more than 10 TDs in a year in 50 years. Stevie had 10. No Bill had two years in a row of 1000 yards in 50 years, and we have had some very good receivers. That's a pretty good yardstick I would think.

So out of 96 staring receivers(WR1 & WR2 + TE) just over 15 have 1000 yards receiving. About 15%. Id say that's pretty low and a pretty good yardstick considering its not even close to 1 per team.

Not to mention his first two years as a starter and he goes over 1000 each year.

Edited by Wayne333

No Buffalo Bill WR has ever had more than 10 TDs in a year in 50 years. Stevie had 10. No Bill had two years in a row of 1000 yards in 50 years, and we have had some very good receivers. That's a pretty good yardstick I would think.

Im with you on the Stevie love, but I thought he was the first Bills WR with back to back 1000yd seasons... since Moulds and Reed. Not the first ever. Am I wrong?

Edit: Looked it up, Im wrong. Wow. Bring Stevie back. Just make sure to check his tshirt before each game. :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDareustein

Im with you on the Stevie love, but I thought he was the first Bills WR with back to back 1000yd seasons... since Moulds and Reed. Not the first ever. Am I wrong?

Edit: Looked it up, Im wrong. Wow. Bring Stevie back. Just make sure to check his tshirt before each game. :thumbsup:

Andre: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/ReedAn00.htm

Eric: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoulEr00.htm

What reputation? WTF are you talking about?

http://www.buffalone...rticle80986.ece

Get your facts straight before you spew this BS.

I might be mad at Gailey for his playcalling and his handling of DC but to say the guy has a shady reputations is utter BS.

He had a reputation a long time ago that he didnt get along with his stars in Dallas, specifically Aikman and Emmitt. Aikman has seemed to lessened his dislike after all these years and seems to put a little more blame on the players themselves than Gailey but that is not what he felt at the time.

I don't think he has a big "reputation" for being a non-player coach, but it was a big problem in Dallas and likely part of the reason he was let go.

Wait a second...Stevie does A LOT more than just "celebrating" his TDs. You are misrepresenting the facts to move the argument in your favor.

Hes a major disruption ON the field and off it. EACH of the athletes you use as examples, while they have had issues, did one other thing. Win. Produce. They were Hall of Fame level players...all time greats. Heck...look no further than Bruce Smith. He could be the BIGGEST PITA around. Total primadonna. Loudmouth. And selfish at times too. But oh yeah....hes also one of the best players of all time. That little thing. So these types of players...the Rodman's Smith's and Roses DO NOT belong is this discussion becuase no matter how crazy they were, no matter what color they dyed their hair, from the jump ball, or the first pitch or the kickoff they produced on the HIGHEST of levels. Johnson has some good stats and lots of ability, but has NEVER EVER shown he can perform on that high level. Yet there he is still pulling the look at me selfish crap that those other athletes do...but without that other thing that allows them to get away with it....production when it counts.

So I guess it boils down to this......

You wanna act like a primadonna? Fine. But first....EARN THE RIGHT TO DO SO.

Stevie hasnt done that....not even close.

Nice short term memory. In Bruce Smith's fourth year most fans wanted Polian hanged for matching Broncos' offer sheet and not getting draft picks in return for the overrated, overweight, lazy, stupid, drug-using kid who hadn't fully lived up to his lofty draft pick.

It's called football for a reason. And for many fans, football is entertaining enough.

If you want to watch celebrations and dances, Im sure there are shows that would better suit your tastes. Dancing with the Stars, Project Runway, etc.

And the league tends to agree with us football fans, as evidenced in their rules.

And yet they have grandfathered in stand jumps, dunking the ball, dancing, spiking the ball. Entertainment is just as much a part of the rules and game. Hence why they are grandfathered in. If they weren't they would just say no celebrations at all.