That fourth down play

Dr. K

Regarding that fourth down play by the Bills at the end of the game, where they drew the defensive lineman off-sides. I'm glad it worked, but I think that happening was unlikely and the Bills were lucky. Here's my question:

Assuming the Bills did not try that ruse, then what should they have done? I was watching the game with friends, and some of them were adamant that the Bills should punt it and put the game on the shoulders of the defense.

I thought that, given the Bills had not stopped the Eagles other than by turnover (the Bills made them punt only once in the second half, Gailey should have had them go for the first down, try to make the few inches they needed, which would effectively end the game. It would be a risk, since if the Bills didn't make it they would give up the ball at midfield, but I thought it was a better option than putting the game on the shoulders of an exhausted defense. Make six inches and win the game, not make it and take your chances.

What did you think?

Regarding that fourth down play by the Bills at the end of the game, where they drew the defensive lineman off-sides. I'm glad it worked, but I think that happening was unlikely and the Bills were lucky. Here's my question:

Assuming the Bills did not try that ruse, then what should they have done? I was watching the game with friends, and some of them were adamant that the Bills should punt it and put the game on the shoulders of the defense.

I thought that, given the Bills had not stopped the Eagles other than by turnover (the Bills made them punt only once in the second half, Gailey should have had them go for the first down, try to make the few inches they needed, which would effectively end the game. It would be a risk, since if the Bills didn't make it they would give up the ball at midfield, but I thought it was a better option than putting the game on the shoulders of an exhausted defense. Make six inches and win the game, not make it and take your chances.

What did you think?

Based on expected values, the best play was shoving it down their throats. I believe QB sneaks from that distance have ~90% chance of success.

I don't know the 4th down stats but they should have been able to convert.....at the time of the play the field position and time left could have been a disaster if they didn't convert...therefor it was a well called play...i don't think they would have went for it.

What did you think?

I was of the opinion... do exactly what they did; trying to get them to jump. Then at 1-2 seconds on the play clock hike and QB sneak for the 6 inches. I really didn't want our defense back on the field at that point.

They were going to punt it. I think it's one of those 51-49 things, it's not a no brainer either way. I understand both points of view. I think I probably would have run a QB sneak, especially with a 7 point lead where all they could do is tie the game (they wouldn't go for 2).

I think what Gailey did was actually very smart. Fred Jackson after the game said the play was designed to be a run if the Eagles were giving us a certain look, but just the try to draw them offsides if the Eagles gave us a different look. At the line, they were in the don't run the play look. So the ball was not going to be snapped. That's a very reasonable thing to call.

I was calling for us to go for it right away. There was 1:23 left. That was plenty of time for Philly to mount a drive. They had been moving the ball well on us the previous few series so I think giving them the ball was taking a chance. If we don't make the first, they get the ball near the 50 and possibly leave us time for a field goal try if they do score.

But I think we would've made it anyway on a QB sneak.

Edited by UpperDeck

I was of the opinion... do exactly what they did; trying to get them to jump. Then at 1-2 seconds on the play clock hike and QB sneak for the 6 inches. I really didn't want our defense back on the field at that point.

I was of the opinion... do exactly what they did; trying to get them to jump.

But this is where I disagree with you. If they don't jump, I let the clock expire, take the penalty, and punt. The Eagles O was just as unreliable as the Bills D

I wanted them to go for it, as I wanted them to go for it on 4th and 5 from the PHI 37 earlier in the game.

I would have settled for a FG try there. Considering how bad the D was playing I would have gone for it at the end. Put in Brad Smith and get that yard. A punt would have been asking to lose.

PTR

I think it's a close decision. If they had only needed a FG I like going for it more. But you really need to have a terrible defensive breakdown to give up an 80 yard TD drive in a minute when they have no time outs. So I wouldn't really get on Gailey either way. Punting on their 37 was definitely dumb however.

Agree.

I thought it was actually mind-boggling that they were thinking of punting it away to an Eagles offense that was having its way in the second half.

Just go for it, and win the game.

Normally I would almost always say from that position on the field, punt the ball and make the other O move the ball all the way down the field and score a TD. Lots of things can happen, however tha Bills couldn't stop the Eagles O. I was trusting the Bills O to get a foot much more than I was trusting the Bills D to stop a TD drive.

:unsure:

I wanted the Bills to go for it - just a simple QB sneak - but the Bills had no intention of snapping the ball.

Absolutely unbelievable/unforgivable that Parker jumped offsides, because there was absolutely no way in hell that ball was ever going to be snapped.

Fitz must have some sort of mysterious, hypnotic power - it's the only possible explanation for what happened.

What did you think?

I wanted them to just go for it! But I am just a kool-aid sipping fan

What did you think?

Football is so much more than just out-muscling the other guys on every play. It is strategy and the hard count by Fitz, at home, was masterful. I was watching the count and thinking I wish someone would jump offsides and they did. The point in this series as with the last series in the game against the Pats* was to try your damndest not to give the ball to the other team in the waning moments of the game. I applaud gailey for bringing that killer instinct and sneakiness to the Bills. I bet the other coaches are now worried that they have to beat more than just the 11 men on the field at any given time. I think luck had nothing to do with that play but strategy and discipline had more of an effect.

Normally I would almost always say from that position on the field, punt the ball and make the other O move the ball all the way down the field and score a TD. Lots of things can happen, however tha Bills couldn't stop the Eagles O. I was trusting the Bills O to get a foot much more than I was trusting the Bills D to stop a TD drive.

:unsure:

I wanted the Bills to go for it - just a simple QB sneak - but the Bills had no intention of snapping the ball.

Absolutely unbelievable/unforgivable that Parker jumped offsides, because there was absolutely no way in hell that ball was ever going to be snapped.

Fitz must have some sort of mysterious, hypnotic power - it's the only possible explanation for what happened.

Agreed. I wanted them to go for it. If you don't trust your offensive line to pick up a few inches on a QB sneak on your home field, then you don't deserve to win. If you get it, game over. If you don't, worse case scenario is that you're headed to overtime. Unbelievable that they got Philly to jump offsides. Had they not jumped, I'd have called timeout with a second to go on the play clock and then still run a QB sneak. Either way, it's a moot point and, thankfully, we didn't have to find out what may or may not have transpired.

I say go for it because you give yourself two chances to win the game: 1) get the first down and win in addition to 2) stop the Eagles and win. If you punt then it's just #2. If the Eagles needed a field goal, they you probably have to punt b/c you can't give them the ball near midfield but with them having to get the TD and time not really a factor (Eagles have 3 TOs), I would take a shot to see if my offense can win it.

I would have settled for a FG try there. Considering how bad the D was playing I would have gone for it at the end. Put in Brad Smith and get that yard. A punt would have been asking to lose.

PTR

FG?

I would have ran another quick count QB sneak. Wood was a monster and Fitz is reliable and tough enough to get the job done.

Since you are at the mercy if the zebras spotting the ball, you really need to have a positive push on the LOS. Wood and Urbik could get it.

I think Dan hit it on the head. I really felt the same way, that they were going to go for it, which is what actually made Philly jump.

They were going to hard count a few times to see if they could get them to jump and if they didn't (knowing

Philly would be in freeze mode), surprise them by actually hiking the ball and running the QB sneak. I really think that's

what would have happened had Philly not jumped.

Try to draw them off and, if that doesn't work, it's: destiny 100% in our hands, snap count on our call, 1 yard to end the game, a few feet to take this team to 4-1. Put it away.

I almost can't believe anyone would even consider punting there.

Someone must have the expected value calculations associated with the various decisions/potential outcomes in that situation (i.e. field position, time on clock, down/distance), but the numbers have to be ridiculously slanted toward going for it there.

They punted from the Eagles 38 yd line earlier in the game. They would have punted.

Absolutely. The Bills most definitely would have taken the delay of game penalty and punted, pinning the Eagles deep and counting on the D (and the fact that Philly had no time-outs left) to hold them and run out the clock. That's why, IMHO, it's so shocking that Reid didn't just tell his entire D, "Don't freakin' MOVE, no matter what!"

No way in hell the Bills were ever going to snap the ball. To get Parker to bite like that, Fitz must be 'The Mentalist' or something B-)