Easley to IR

Casey D

Wgr quoting buffalo news reporter rodney mckissock that Easley has a heart condition of unknown seriousness at this time...not believed to be something that will end career but serious enough that it needs to be taken care of before he continues playing...

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for the chicken wing eating contest B.S. that people were slinging around the board this week. I wish that people wouldn't speculate flippantly about someone else's health.

To say nothing of the AIDS and STD speculation.

Yes. Locked and burned espescially in light of the other one that says he has a heart ailment.

It seems that the last 24 hours or so has been generally unmoderated. This is probably not even that high on the list of "I'm surprised it hasn't been shutdown"

But the whole velociraptor story...that they could disclose, right?

Sure, in fact they did. Thank you NGU! :p34r:

You mean like I said here?

;)

Close... needed full attribution of the Law.

First of all.. what kind of STD would keep you out a whole year? None that I can think of.. and since there is no cure for AIDS what good would IR be? Maybe you should mix in some common sense with your thoughts.

Elephantiasis of the testicles! Not a STD, but most definitely could be enough to put one on IR.

Just like clockwork, had to be in the office and offline most of the day when this stunning turn of events happened.

Good luck Marcus. There are millions of people living with heart defects of one sort or another.

Hope yours is minor.

It seems that the last 24 hours or so has been generally unmoderated. This is probably not even that high on the list of "I'm surprised it hasn't been shutdown"

For my part, I generally don't do much moderating for a day after a game. Folks need to vent and it's too much to try to pick and choose who's over the top.

It's kind of like having a party all weekend and not cleaning up until Monday morning. :D

please don't kill me here guys, but can a team activate a IR player at a future date in this season, or does it mean you are done for the season regardless if he gets better? :unsure:

Done. Can be released and signed by other teams but can't play for us until 2012

I'm wondering if he got gonnorhea or syphillys or something like that

If that were the case, half the NFL would be on IR. And those diseases do not infect the chest. Your mind is in the gutter or has been extremely warped by the effects of syphilis, which it does affect over time.

Marcus Easley is suffering from an irregular heartbeat that worsened over the weekend into Monday, per Patrick Moran and Matt Rich Warren.

It is a shame that he is out for the year but

we need to count our blessings and be glad

this was found now rather than TOO late.

Several players cried tears for Easley today, and multiple players are with him at this moment.

(2 hours ago)

This makes me proud to be a Bills fan, that Easley has teammates to be there for him in his time of need.

Edited by Astrobot

This may be the best thing that could have happened to Marcus. Glad they caught it now so he'll have time to develop a treatment plan and deal with it. Hopefully it's a manageable condition whereby he's able to participate in high level athletics. Get well, Marcus.

GO BILLS!!!

If it's a heart condition, I don't like the sound of things. "Minor illness" going into the weekend, on the IR by Tuesday. Sounds like follow up testing/analysis revealed a bigger problem. Cardiology is a huge field and as just one example there's a lot of arrhythmias and PVC's that can seem minor (ex. caused by excessive sympathetic tone) and upon further testing/analysis be deadly serious.

I pray it's not too serious and that Marcus just needs time to rest and recover. Obviously the chicken wing story is just stupid. It'd be nice if all the jokesters put a sock in it until we actually know how serious it really is. Get well soon Marcus.

Sure, in fact they did. Thank you NGU! :p34r:

Close... needed full attribution of the Law.

Elephantiasis of the testicles! Not a STD, but most definitely could be enough to put one on IR.

Just like clockwork, had to be in the office and offline most of the day when this stunning turn of events happened.

Good luck Marcus. There are millions of people living with heart defects of one sort or another.

Hope yours is minor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9alvLdf5eWw

please don't kill me here guys, but can a team activate a IR player at a future date in this season, or does it mean you are done for the season regardless if he gets better? :unsure:

Bleacher Report is often criticized here, but the article below appears to have been written by an agent who has represented injured players and is familiar with the IR and potential injury settlement process. It's a couple years old, so who knows if the 2011 CBA changed anything, but I learned a few things about the process when reading it - - some interesting insights from an agent's perspective:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/236279-negotiating-an-injury-settlement-by-jack-bechta

Bleacher Report is often criticized here, but the article below appears to have been written by an agent who has represented injured players and is familiar with the IR and potential injury settlement process. It's a couple years old, so who knows if the 2011 CBA changed anything, but I learned a few things about the process when reading it - - some interesting insights from an agent's perspective:

http://bleacherrepor...-by-jack-bechta

That's a good, believable article. Not earth shattering but a nice behind the scenes look. Thanks for the link.

It seems he is only speaking about immediate injury settlements, rather than putting a guy on IR and then eight weeks down the line deciding on an injury settlement. Otherwise, why would the agent or team make the guess for the length of the injury until a month or two goes by.

A guy like Easley, almost for sure, is going to be on the IR all year, as he has a year or two left on his Bills contract, and they probably want to give him a chance next year (unless, of course, this is a more serious heart ailment that could end his career).

That really sucks for Easley I think that he could have been something he played well in the time he got in pre-season and had a lot of physical gifts. But this likely will end his career. And while this does hurt the depth of the WR position I do think its time we see Brad Smith in the slot more. Also I think that we should have signed Roosevelt instead of Martin we could have used another young gun.

Actually, it was caused by the sex with a raptor that was Gailey's punishment for Easley's having beaten him in the wing-eating contest.

Confirmed. Also, through the recently developed field of Paleo-genealogy is has been discovered that the raptor in question is in fact related to Marv Albert.

Or did Easley do something that Chan felt hurt the team and IR'd him as a message?

PTR

I would expect them to cut him if that was the case, why pay him the full year's salary?

At the beginning of the 2008 season, Crowell decided to have a surgery he possibly could've done earlier during training camp. If he would have done so, he would've likely been ready for the season opener. Thus, a surgery, then about 4 weeks of recovery time. How did the Bills respond? They place him on IR, a move many thought was done out of spite, for an injury that would have had him miss about 4 games. Keep in mind, he had a career year the season before and was to go into his contract year. How did the NFLPA respond to these accusations? They did nothing because such a move would be impossible to prove.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2008/9/4/607727/crowell-to-ir

BS - the NFLPA couldn't have done anything because he was injured. He had surgery. At that point, it doesn't matter how many weeks he would have missed, it's the Bills' prerogative to decide if they need to IR him and sign someone else.

In general though, the notion that IR is some form of punishment in this case is ridiculous. The player goes home, and gets paid for the rest of the season. That punishes the team more than the player.

Edited by Captain Caveman

Rainbows?

I'm allergic.

Gotta wonder, points to his chest, coach blames him for it, tweets that he has minor condition, Martin allready posted on his Facebook that he was resigned yesterday, Gailey looked almost ashamed when asked about him during the monday presser...

I don't think it's been reported anywhere that the coach blamed him for it - do you have a link? I read that the coach said it would be up to Easley to talk about if he chose to do so, which would make sense if it's a non-football health issue (regardless of whether Easley was to blame.)

The only thing we have is he pointed to his chest in practice and walked off. I'm quite puzzled what kind of chest illness he has that gailey finds too embarrassing to discuss.

It likely has nothing to do with embarrassment. A player's health (when non-football related) is generally not for the coach to discuss, unless the player has already addressed it.

My guess is that, if it's something he brought on himself thru sheer stupidity/immaturity (and we'll probably never know - nor are we entitled to know - due to HIPAA), then Gaiely/Nix probably just decided, "eff 'im!"

(Easley's $500K signing bonus plus $300K salary for sitting out last season, and $400K this season for being too stupid to do everything to take care of your body and make sure you're in a position to make the roster and contribute to helping the team win, is just the kind of thing that tends to piss-off the guys who write the checks and the coaches/GMs who are struggling to turn the Bills fortunes around, IMO.)

Then why not release him outright? They wouldn't have to pay him this year. By putting him on IR, they do.

Do you think Ralph had a handshake deal with the velociraptors to attack Easley? Those are some pretty tiny, useless hands, but a deal is a deal.

Ralph's or the Velociraptors? Also, who would win in a fight?