Trent Edwards

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a related note:

Savard unlikely to play again

Look, I'd rather these guys be as conscientious as possible when it comes to mental health and brain safety.

And no doubt Trent took a lick on that play, and from a guy who knows how to hit.

I also fully accept that it takes just the tiniest shove in the wrong direction to offset one's neural order.

But if Trent's career was a pendulum, did it swing THAT far after the hit. Was he even ever as good as he his currently bad? I dunno. I'm skeptical that one hit made the house of cards crumble.

Be a much bigger surprise if he made the final roster.

My advice to him would be to move on from football and find a different career path. Maybe go to a graduate school for business, law, etc. He went to a great undergrad program, made some money for his age in the NFL, and now it's time for him to move on.

ESPN's Adam Schefter just reported Trent Edwards is likely to be cut, what was Bill Walsh thinking? :wallbash: He never looked to be prototypical, he never had that gun slingers mentality all of the great ones have.

Other surprise cuts he predicted included Steve Slayton and Golden Tate.

Trent to me will always be Tim Conley(sp)without skates. Lots of promise that was mostly not true... both need to take their scrambled brains to retirement from sports.

wishing nothing but well for this former player. A most evident and serious issue that of effect of concussion on a individual one thing that I does impact a players career quite another it impact his life. It greatly sobering to hear and read of so many who lives adversely impacted and shortened.

+1

I don't think Walsh's assessment was necessarily off, and I don't hold much against Trent. He was developing quite well until he got his marbles rattled, and he was never the same after that.

I wonder how his career would have gone if he had never had that concussion against the Cardinals.

ESPN's Adam Schefter just reported Trent Edwards is likely to be cut, what was Bill Walsh thinking? :wallbash: He never looked to be prototypical, he never had that gun slingers mentality all of the great ones have.

The Bill Walsh thing is so overrated. He loved Joey Harrington coming out of college too. I know he hit on Montana but what great QBs came out of Stanford during his time there?

Probably was thinking the same thing he was thinking when he said Jim Drunkenmiller was the next Montana when he drafted him. Or the same thing when he traded up to get JJ Stokes and said he was the next Rice...

Seriously, the whole Walsh thing was hilarious. Because he was a great coach for the 49ers and won SB's people acted like he was the "Be all, End all" when it came to scouting. Truth is, he is a legend, one of the best all time, but just like every other great, he was wrong more often than he was right. Just some of the times he was right, he was really right. Thats what the greats do. The "Walsh endorsed him" excuse to defend Trent was one of the stupidest things I have seen on this board, especially given how long he had been away from the game when he said that.

I think that hit ruined him. Compare Edwards before and after that AZ game hit. Night and day. Sad.

PTR

Oh come on man, that hit was not career defining. He was not very good before or after that hit.

I wonder how his career would have gone if he had never had that concussion against the Cardinals.

I can't believe I'm getting into this again, but Trent sucked way before that game. Check his stats, he wasn't exactly lighting it up for 300+ yds/3 td games before then. The Bills wins in their 5-1 start that year were all against teams that ended up 8-8 or worse. And they won those games despite Edwards' play, not because of it (once again, check the stats). Obviously it's impossible to know, but I think Edwards' career would've been exactly the same without the concussion.

Well, he had 2 things going for him.

1. The back of his jersy didn't have the letters LOSMAN on it
  2. Many Bills fans were quite content to watch him dump off the hot potato between the 20s

As far as him being good, Dick Jauron bet his career on the kid. 'Nuff said.

I think that hit ruined him. Compare Edwards before and after that AZ game hit. Night and day. Sad.

PTR

?? -- his best game occurred the next week against a good chargers team, where he went 25-30. He had a very strong game against the chiefs later in the season too. This is an entirely unconvincing argument.

or the next 3...

Face it, the guy showed flashes when he took the Bills to 3 comeback wins at the start of that 5-1 season in 2008, you know the one where DJ got the extension

The Bills ruined the guy with the wrong system, bad O lines and crap offensive coaches, probably why Chan Gailey wasted an off season trying to correct the faults instilled by the previous coaches.

P.S. To those clueless fans who know nothing about concussions and their devastating effects, the NFL has changed it guidelines on how to handle them since Edwards was severely concussed in Arizona. Knowing how lame Jauron and his staff were about everything, its easy to see that they let him return to play way to soon.

http://www.necn.com/...680&feedID=3352

http://www.nytimes.c...concussion.html

http://espn.go.com/n...nfl-concussions

http://www.nfl.com/n...rom-last-season

http://www.nfl.com/n...sment-protocol-

Edited by Harvey lives

It wasn't just the Wilson hit. That was only the most visceral play. But the dude took a pounding over his brief career here. That, coupled with coaching changes and the usual OBD turmoil just destroyed him. Not the first, and probably not the last, unfortunately.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

It wasn't just the Wilson hit. That was only the most visceral play. But the dude took a pounding over his brief career here. That, coupled with coaching changes and the usual OBD turmoil just destroyed him. Not the first, and probably not the last, unfortunately.

Those are just excuses. Trent would have sucked even if he did not take a lot of hits and sacks. Simple fact of the matter is that he didn't have an NFL arm. He knew it and the league caught on. His getting hit only sped up the process of his departure. Add in the obviousness that Trent never really had a passion for the game itself. That's a bad trait for anybody, let alone a QB. Please stop making excuses for his failures.

His potential was there before the hit ... statistics don't rule the day it's really about wins and losses so the argument that he wasn't lighting up the skies should be secondary to the victories he led the team too. The guy was young but leading the team and then he crashed to earth.

Sadly after that game he became fearful apparently of being on the field ...

Once again, we tend to personalize players who fail. There's no doubt that he wanted to succeed but he no longer has what it takes. Wish him well ... it's time to move forward!

GO BILLS!

JESUS! can those of you who still say things like this grow up and start accepting fact logic and reasoning instead of perpetuating this garbage?

I dont wish trent well at all. ignoring the "hit" (more like a tackle) and all the excuses for his poor play (fitzy had the same team and excelled) theres the issue of heartless and cluelessness that trent displayed which ruined two years of football for all of us.

When trent continued to dump off on fourth downs, or huge third downs, that said it all. HE DIDNT CARE. He never cared about the situation. It was always "can I dump it to Fred?" and when he couldnt...sack....throw away....roll out like a high school qb and run out of bounds.

WHen I watched a few post game interviews I saw it all...a guy fixing his hair during the interview, shifty eyes darting around, afraid to make direct eye contact...talking in the same introverted sheepish voice spouting the same thing every time,"i care, i care you guys dont realize how much I care." Really then why did you dump off again on 3rd and 15? Guy was a weirdo and had a losers mentality. When they were 4-0 do you all know what he said on tv? "this could all come crashing down, we might not win anther game" I thought "WTF? why would he say that?"...then i understood.

When they were 4-0 I thought, "wheres the deep ball....or the mid range ball for that matter. All he does is throw 5 yard outs and curls and dump offs." I actually was amazed we were 4-0 because we really had no offense. Check stats. Trent sucked in all those games but didnt blow any. HArd to blow a game where you take 0 chances because you are gutless. Remember how everyone clamored in the losman era for "more involvment of the running backs in the passing game"? trent was doing that exclusively and it worked for a while. our first game we lost with trent that year, (miami) trent actually threw a td, marshawn caught a 5 yarder , broke 3 or 4 tackles and walked in. And that was that, miami shut down the RB's and the next teams followed suit. Trents game was finished, but then the excuse makers started, they said "its because Josh reed is out" oh so now Reed was our savior. Another reason trent was popular was the washington comeback game. On the last play he threw a nice long pass to Royal. We won, problem was that pass was an overthrow meant for Reed. Royal just happened to pass by and it fell into his arms. Dont believe it? just think how many times trent did try to go deep over the middle or up the seem, almost everytime was either an overthrow and/or a pick. ALl of our horrible loses over the last few years were a TE game...Monday night cleveland, 3 int's and all dump offs from there and we barely lose... monday night dallas, all dump offs, lose on a five yard out int (cant throw over the middle now can we trenty)... monday night new england, all screen pass and 5 yarders ( ok that was the D but trent didnt light it up either) cleveland blizzard game lose 8-0 hmmmm, thanks for those dump offs trent, 6-3 home game, cleveland wins with two total completions, hard to overcome 6 points..if youre trent.

Please please please grow up and stop talking like social workers in africa. Trent doesnt need your support, he got payed millions of dollars, got tons of exposure and got to be an nfl qb on the only team stupid enough to give losers such prolonged starting opportunities(rob johnson,losman,trenty)

I spend my time writing this because its sad to see people cling to happy thoughts. The truth was we had a little boy who found a way to scam all of us by playing it safe. when it came time to do the right thing trenty never did, he never improved he never yelled out and said, F this Im going deep. He was called out by literally millions and answered with a dump off pass to fred jackson....jesus. when will the rest of you stop blaming evrything in the book besides him? the "hit" wasnt even that bad, and how did he have his best game ever as a bill,right after it?

trent can go to hell

JESUS! can those of you who still say things like this grow up and start accepting fact logic and reasoning instead of perpetuating this garbage?

I dont wish trent well at all. ignoring the "hit" (more like a tackle) and all the excuses for his poor play (fitzy had the same team and excelled) theres the issue of heartless and cluelessness that trent displayed which ruined two years of football for all of us.

When trent continued to dump off on fourth downs, or huge third downs, that said it all. HE DIDNT CARE. He never cared about the situation. It was always "can I dump it to Fred?" and when he couldnt...sack....throw away....roll out like a high school qb and run out of bounds.

WHen I watched a few post game interviews I saw it all...a guy fixing his hair during the interview, shifty eyes darting around, afraid to make direct eye contact...talking in the same introverted sheepish voice spouting the same thing every time,"i care, i care you guys dont realize how much I care." Really then why did you dump off again on 3rd and 15? Guy was a weirdo and had a losers mentality. When they were 4-0 do you all know what he said on tv? "this could all come crashing down, we might not win anther game" I thought "WTF? why would he say that?"...then i understood.

When they were 4-0 I thought, "wheres the deep ball....or the mid range ball for that matter. All he does is throw 5 yard outs and curls and dump offs." I actually was amazed we were 4-0 because we really had no offense. Check stats. Trent sucked in all those games but didnt blow any. HArd to blow a game where you take 0 chances because you are gutless. Remember how everyone clamored in the losman era for "more involvment of the running backs in the passing game"? trent was doing that exclusively and it worked for a while. our first game we lost with trent that year, (miami) trent actually threw a td, marshawn caught a 5 yarder , broke 3 or 4 tackles and walked in. And that was that, miami shut down the RB's and the next teams followed suit. Trents game was finished, but then the excuse makers started, they said "its because Josh reed is out" oh so now Reed was our savior. Another reason trent was popular was the washington comeback game. On the last play he threw a nice long pass to Royal. We won, problem was that pass was an overthrow meant for Reed. Royal just happened to pass by and it fell into his arms. Dont believe it? just think how many times trent did try to go deep over the middle or up the seem, almost everytime was either an overthrow and/or a pick. ALl of our horrible loses over the last few years were a TE game...Monday night cleveland, 3 int's and all dump offs from there and we barely lose... monday night dallas, all dump offs, lose on a five yard out int (cant throw over the middle now can we trenty)... monday night new england, all screen pass and 5 yarders ( ok that was the D but trent didnt light it up either) cleveland blizzard game lose 8-0 hmmmm, thanks for those dump offs trent, 6-3 home game, cleveland wins with two total completions, hard to overcome 6 points..if youre trent.

Please please please grow up and stop talking like social workers in africa. Trent doesnt need your support, he got payed millions of dollars, got tons of exposure and got to be an nfl qb on the only team stupid enough to give losers such prolonged starting opportunities(rob johnson,losman,trenty)

I spend my time writing this because its sad to see people cling to happy thoughts. The truth was we had a little boy who found a way to scam all of us by playing it safe. when it came time to do the right thing trenty never did, he never improved he never yelled out and said, F this Im going deep. He was called out by literally millions and answered with a dump off pass to fred jackson....jesus. when will the rest of you stop blaming evrything in the book besides him? the "hit" wasnt even that bad, and how did he have his best game ever as a bill,right after it?

trent can go to hell

Calm down.

The Bill Walsh thing is so overrated. He loved Joey Harrington coming out of college too. I know he hit on Montana but what great QBs came out of Stanford during his time there?

Plenty of good qbs never make it. There's a lot of luck. Between jauron and that hit he had the deck stacked. I think his MAJOR injury in college coupled with a brain related injury coupled with DJ in his ear.... It was hard to be confident

Been away "scouting" for my fantasy football drafts this weekend but I guess I felt like posting.

He played one of the best games of his career AFTER the concussion against the Cardinals.

PTR

Surprised that you don't remember the San Diego game… the mylar balloons shorting out the primary electrical lines… the blown transformer, the blackout at the stadium and the fact that the victory over San Diego was chosen as the NFL Game of the Week using NFL films footage in lieu of network videotape.

It's almost like this game never happened, even though it was pretty memorable.

As a matter of fact, we saw Trent do it. 2 weeks after "the hit", Trent's line vs San Diego: 25/30, 261 YDS, 1 TD

I don't buy the Trent was ruined by "the hit" theory. I know it's popular around here but I'm just not buying it.

Thank you. Agree. And the numbers don't do justice to how well Trent played that day. Quick decisions, accurate throws in rhythm…

+1

I don't think Walsh's assessment was necessarily off, and I don't hold much against Trent. He was developing quite well until he got his marbles rattled, and he was never the same after that.

See above.

?? -- his best game occurred the next week against a good chargers team, where he went 25-30. He had a very strong game against the chiefs later in the season too. This is an entirely unconvincing argument.

You are correct. It's amazing how often this comes up and still, people ignore/forget the San Diego game. I'm really trying to hammer it home this time… it's wrong that our collective memory has such a huge hole in it.

trent can go to hell

One of the funniest posts of all time… an instant classic.

It's gonna be a long Labor Day Weekend without your meds…

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Seriously guys. Can we PLEASE stop talking about this bum?????

He was the poorest excuse of a QB I have ever seen in this league.

Why not focus on the current positives, Beating KC's ass and ripping through the division. Call me crazy, dumb, whatever, I can care less. All I know is I have not been this optomistic in a long time.

We're close boys and getting closer.

BILLieve!!!!!

Go BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been away "scouting" for my fantasy football drafts this weekend but I guess I felt like posting.

He played one of the best games of his career AFTER the concussion against the Cardinals.

Surprised that you don't remember the San Diego game… the mylar balloons shorting out the primary electrical lines… the blown transformer, the blackout at the stadium and the fact that the victory over San Diego was chosen as the NFL Game of the Week using NFL films footage in lieu of network videotape.

It's almost like this game never happened, even though it was pretty memorable.

Thank you. Agree. And the numbers don't do justice to how well Trent played that day. Quick decisions, accurate throws in rhythm…

See above.

You are correct. It's amazing how often this comes up and still, people ignore/forget the San Diego game. I'm really trying to hammer it home this time… it's wrong that our collective memory has such a huge hole in it.

One of the funniest posts of all time… an instant classic.

It's gonna be a long Labor Day Weekend without your meds…

I think that the Arizona game was less of a light switch on/off immediate thing and more where he made a turn. Yea he came out and strung together a couple quarters against SD but I think his fate was pretty much sealed. Whether it was luck, adrenaline or what - I don't think that game was indicative of who he was, as much as it was indicative of what he could have been.

DJ was notorious for ruining qbs

He had a life threatening college injury

Having a SERIOUS head injury....

Maybe he got all that out of his head for a few hours happened that afternoon, and whatever stars aligned.... But I think after that hit the odds of him progressing in a larger sense were shot. Sure he might have made good throws, drives, or even a game but I think his progression - which is debatable in the first place - turned into regression. Maybe not as linear as you were looking for, but I think it's clear that AZ game was his apex.

Obviously just an outsiders opinion though, so a grain of salt....

He took a few too many hits (both at Stanford and then in Buffalo) and then started treating the ball like it was a hot potato. He just lost the cajones to play football. His runs out of bounds on 4th-and-game established beyond any doubt that he doesn't have the fortitude for the game. Kinda sad, because he had some ability.

As a Pro QB he was never the same Player after that hit in Az...He never really recovered from that...In fact he pretty much got progressively worse after it... B-)

trent can go to hell

Wow. Feel better now?

I certainly understand the frustration that pulling for a perennial loser brings, but your rant is beyond anything i would expect from someone not troubled by lack of sanity. you don't like trent, fine, that is your right and you are of course welcome to your opinion. want to blame the source of the problem instead of funneling your anger and blind hatred towards someone who was thrown to the wolves? hate the coaching staff. start at the top of the organization and then work your way down. they are 100% responsible for drafting trent edwards, making him the starter, and sticking with him for as many years as they did. what were THEY thinking?? trent was only out there because they put him out there. I fault the coaches/mgmt 100% for setting us back a decade, but not edwards. so he couldn't cut it? who are you to say he didn't try his best and who are you to say his heart wasn't in it? Because you assume it to be that way?

the fact that you can hate someone who you don't personally know and who has nothing to do with you or your life, is totally irrational and makes me question your sanity. seriously, there is both counseling and medication available for people like you who get so wrapped up in a GAME that it completely warps your sense of logic, reality, and what really matters. I feel sorry for you and I hope you get some help.

that being said, I also wish trent nothing but the best and I'm sorry it didn't work out for him in Buffalo.

Edited by john

I think that the Arizona game was less of a light switch on/off immediate thing and more where he made a turn.

I kind of agree with this. It was sort of a cumulative, ongoing effect and Wilson's hit was sort of that last push over the cliff.

The guy had taken a tremendous number of killshots over the previous couple years (and many of them willingly) and they just kept adding up. Between the Bills inability to protect him and his unwillingness to protect himself, Trent was just exposed to way too much ongoing damage while he tried to hold the ball until the last second to protect it but still try to make plays in the face of a ridiculous number of jailbreaks.

I have no ill will towards the guy and respect what he tried to do for a while, but he's just broken as a ballplayer, and probably permanently so.

Bill Parcells said it best; "Some times you just don't want to go out there and hit 'em anymore. And there's no shame in that".

Seriously guys. Can we PLEASE stop talking about this bum?????

He was the poorest excuse of a QB I have ever seen in this league.

Why not focus on the current positives, Beating KC's ass and ripping through the division. Call me crazy, dumb, whatever, I can care less. All I know is I have not been this optomistic in a long time.

We're close boys and getting closer.

BILLieve!!!!!

Go BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1

So, how is Billy Joe Hobert doing these days? I wonder what he's up to?

trent can go to hell

I wish I didn't know how to read...

The Bills failed with Trent Edwards, they failed with JP Losman, they failed with just about every QB they have brought into the team in the last 15 years since Jim Kelly.

The last 10 years the Bills have had 12+ QB's- 40+ O linemen and the turnover just keeps going on and on.....this team goes thru QB's like they are disposable.

Although Fitz had a pretty good year last season considering how bad his line was, injured starting WR's, no TE and Spiller a dud in blocking. I suspect that Fitz will be this years casualty ....he will suffer several injuries and concussions, and everyone will say after the season that Fitz always sucked

Until this franchise can build a stable offensive line that can actually protect the QB, bring in players that have careers longer then the lifespan of a gnat. The Bills will never be able to develop or maintain a competent QB.