Trent Edwards

Yeah, I never got that criticism of Gailey. I know for a fact Edwards played much better in practice than Fitz. Fitz is one of the worst practice QBs in the league. But he is the ultimate gamer. Edwards looks every part of a star NFL QB and had a great preseason last year. He won the starter's job and then lost it with 2 terrible performances in the regular season. Better to correct that sooner than later.

And to fair to Trent, the Raiders 3rd string oline was awful. The guy was a 3rd round pick who struggled with injuries. I don't get the hate. 3rd rounders aren't guaranteed HOFers. Losman hurt this franchise significantly more. I hope Edwards plays in this league for a long time as a backup, probably a role he is made for. But either way with a Stanford degree, I'm sure he won't be hurting for options after his career is over.

Fact is a guy like Edwards would be a perfect QB for the the Jets. He'd play it safe and keep games close. Losman is like Sanchez. All the physical skills and a plays braindead at times. He can make all the throws but he can also single-handedly murder your team.

Bottomline is a bust of a 1st rounder hurts your team a lot more than a 3rd rounder.

I think you meant to say Edwards WOULD HAVE BEEN a perfect QB for the Jets. TE used to be effective when he had time - accurate, safe with the ball... He might have done well in the NFL if he had played for a team like the Jets with a good O line and running game.

But now he's been irrevocably ruined. Too many hits. Confidence shaken too many times. And his leadership skills were never great. He's not the perfect QB for anyone anymore if he ever was.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you meant to say Edwards WOULD HAVE BEEN a perfect QB for the Jets. TE used to be effective when he had time - accurate, safe with the ball... He might have done well in the NFL if he had played for a team like the Jets with a good O line and running game.

But now he's been irrevocably ruined. Too many hits. Confidence shaken too many times. And his leadership skills were never great. He's not the perfect QB for anyone anymore if he ever was.

Agreed. If Edwards has Fitz' moxie and toughness, the sky would have been the limit.

Anyone seeing Trent drop back in the pocket the other night had to see that he was basically lethargic, ineffective and turnover prone (independently of sub-par O-line play). Unfortunately Trent is a shadow or mere picture of an NFL QB, an empty shell of what might have been. I don't know enuf to say whether he just never had it or whether this is testimony to what inevitably happens in the NFL when a rook is asked to start behind an awful line and takes a pounding, a la D. Carr. Really its sad what can happen, but thats the NFL. Ultracompetitive, brutal and merciless. And thats why and how we like it.

Bledsoe was never mobile.

I disagree... don't confuse mobile with scrambler- his maneuverability within the pocket was exceptional until that hit on the sideline. When he came to Buffalo, he took way too many unnecessary sacks and just didn't have the ability to move like he once did.

Makes me appreciate Fitzpatrick all the more. Say what you want about his strength and accuracy, the kid can stand in there and take a hit. Fitz has pocket sense enough to take off and get yards instead of the sack also. I got to give Edwards respect also, any QB has to have balls to stand behind our lineman and let a 250 lb linebacker run full speed down your throat.

It's not hard to figure out why Trent was the starter at the beginning of last year. Each year he was impressive in training camp. But when the real bullets started to fly he became a different guy. Chan just fell for the same illusion that Jauron did. You don't see the real Trent until the whistle blows.

Considering the BILLS did it to him...

Trent was a sure fire probowl hall of famer!!!!...or....maybe you were wrong to support him so long because he sucks and always sucked whether he was drafted by the Bills and given every opportunity to start for 4 years or was drafted by some other team!!!

Trent was lacking leadership. His attitude was like "gee I'm just happy to be here and help the team, contribute what I can." that's how backup special teamers talk. QB's need to lead, have an attitude and some intensity and say "this team is mine and I'm going to lead us to the super bowl." Kelly had that attitude in spades and challenged the rest of the team to elevate their games or they were going to hear from him.

Lets be happy for him that hes in the san francisco area now with his "own kind". After hes cut he can follow his dream...opening a flower shop and visiting the local bars there.

So Trent was bad because he is gay? :thumbdown: Get a clue, there are a lot of gay pro football players.

I wish people would stop blaming "the hit" lots of people get hit in football, trent was a douche before that and was just lucky people were used to deep ball losman and hadnt clued into the fact that trent would always check down. Trent never threw down the middle before or after the "hit" and became a true pu ssy in the browns game after 3 early int's. thats when he lost whatever tiny tiny amount of confidence/balls he had.

Trent always sucked its just opposing D's were used to losman, period. Lets be happy for him that hes in the san francisco area now with his "own kind". After hes cut he can follow his dream...opening a flower shop and visiting the local bars there.

Yes!!

So Trent was bad because he is gay? :thumbdown: Get a clue, there are a lot of gay pro football players.

Way to back up an assumption with another assumption

Look, before that injury Bledsoe was mobile and really could make defenders miss. After, when he came to Buffalo, the pocket was his home and venturing out of it was rare. That injury hampered him and Belichick KNEW it- that's why they got Brady. I thought he was a really good quarterback who suffered a great deal in that one year, and lost his comfort zone.

John Clayton?

I disagree... don't confuse mobile with scrambler- his maneuverability within the pocket was exceptional until that hit on the sideline. When he came to Buffalo, he took way too many unnecessary sacks and just didn't have the ability to move like he once did.

Ummmmm dude got sacked at least 30 times a year every full year he played but one, not to mention the 50 sack seasons and 40 sack seasons, although he did get more on the bills he was also slower and when you cut one foot off of a turtle you get....... The only guy I have ever seem throw the ball away on fourth down!!!!

Might as well be, the way he pranced around in the pocket and floated short lobs to his receivers. :P

Yes

I was doing my fantasy football draft on Sunday night and the commish is a raiders fan, so I was watching the Sunday night game. Trent comes into the game, and it was a pathetic excuse for football. I know he didnt have a ton of time, but he always seems to move backwards when hes going to get sacked. Wasnt sure if anyone else watched, but its sad that this guy was supposed to be our starter and lead our no-huddle offense.

I really think most people seem to get it wrong about Trent.

He was a decent ,low risk,good buttonhook poof passer with good pocket presence

and no happy feet in the pocket til he was concussed massively. After the concussion

he was a shell of himself. Every weakness that he had pre-concussion was magnified 100x

after the concussion. I don't think he could play fopr a high school team effectively at

this point---and is one concussion (if that) away from having very serious health problems.

I just can't feel anything but pity for the guy now.I don't think his bizarre post concussion play

is anything to rag on him about.That 4th and game running out of bounds stuff is more of a scary

symptom than a character defect.

I really think most people seem to get it wrong about Trent.

He was a decent ,low risk,good buttonhook poof passer with good pocket presence

and no happy feet in the pocket til he was concussed massively. After the concussion

he was a shell of himself. Every weakness that he had pre-concussion was magnified 100x

after the concussion. I don't think he could play fopr a high school team effectively at

this point---and is one concussion (if that) away from having very serious health problems.

I just can't feel anything but pity for the guy now.I don't think his bizarre post concussion play

is anything to rag on him about.That 4th and game running out of bounds stuff is more of a scary

symptom than a character defect.

You can feel sorry for him. Nothing wrong with that. I did. If wishing he could recover from the shell shock was all that was needed, my wishes alone would have made him the next Joe Montana. But I still have hard feelings because he knew, before anyone, that he didn't have what it took to lead. Yet he put the team behind his ego and used the coaches/fans benefit of the doubt to extend his stay. Its like having two sprained arms but keeping your seat by the emergency exit just to have a window seat.

Trent was a sure fire probowl hall of famer!!!!...or....maybe you were wrong to support him so long because he sucks and always sucked whether he was drafted by the Bills and given every opportunity to start for 4 years or was drafted by some other team!!!

Yet Lossman was benched for him, and he actually won a lot more games than JP in fewer starts.

Scary, no?

What, made him afraid to through the ball down the field or to anyone that wasn't wide open? That was all Trentative.

No, it wasn't. It is simply the byproduct was the decade long incompetence on that side of the ball. The refusal to address the offensive line and have a cohesive scheme while "developing" young quarterbacks is a recipe for absolute disaster.

The BILLS have been the poster children for how not to run a franchise. Edwards and Losman were destined for failure.

Yet Lossman was benched for him, and he actually won a lot more games than JP in fewer starts.

Scary, no?

Individual players don't win or lose football games by themselves.

I don't understand all the attacks on Trent.

He had some promise, but failed to pan out, most likely because of the concussion and the team he played for. He didn't seem like some sort of horrible person and didn't work out for us, so I wish him luck, but I don't expect anything of him.

ESPN's Adam Schefter just reported Trent Edwards is likely to be cut, what was Bill Walsh thinking? :wallbash: He never looked to be prototypical, he never had that gun slingers mentality all of the great ones have.

Other surprise cuts he predicted included Steve Slayton and Golden Tate.

I wonder how his career would have gone if he had never had that concussion against the Cardinals.

[/quote

I can't believe I'm getting into this again, but Trent sucked way before that game. Check his stats, he wasn't exactly lighting it up for 300+ yds/3 td games before then. The Bills wins in their 5-1 start that year were all against teams that ended up 8-8 or worse. And they won those games despite Edwards' play, not because of it (once again, check the stats). Obviously it's impossible to know, but I think Edwards' career would've been exactly the same without the concussion.

Is this really a career ending hit?

I know when it comes to matters of the brain (pun intended) that you...just...never...know.

BUT...have we seen quarterbacks bounce back from worse? Uh...yeah.

youtube.com/watch?v=yjpANEVexhY

That would be 15 yards in todays game.. It wasn't how hard he was hit, it was his heads contact on his pile-driven route to the ground that did it.

That would be 15 yards in todays game.. It wasn't how hard he was hit, it was his heads contact on his pile-driven route to the ground that did it.

His potential was there before the hit ... statistics don't rule the day it's really about wins and losses so the argument that he wasn't lighting up the skies should be secondary to the victories he led the team too. The guy was young but leading the team and then he crashed to earth.

Sadly after that game he became fearful apparently of being on the field ...

Once again, we tend to personalize players who fail. There's no doubt that he wanted to succeed but he no longer has what it takes. Wish him well ... it's time to move forward!

GO BILLS!

BUT...have we seen quarterbacks bounce back from worse? Uh...yeah.

As a matter of fact, we saw Trent do it. 2 weeks after "the hit", Trent's line vs San Diego: 25/30, 261 YDS, 1 TD

I don't buy the Trent was ruined by "the hit" theory. I know it's popular around here but I'm just not buying it.

I think it was a 15 yarder...anyone?

As a matter of fact, we saw Trent do it. 2 weeks after "the hit", Trent's line vs San Diego: 25/30, 261 YDS, 1 TD

I don't buy the Trent was ruined by "the hit" theory. I know it's popular around here but I'm just not buying it.

This was my point exactly. I'm also not a believer. Especially after seeing the hit again and knowing that Big Ben suffers about two or three of those a season because he hangs waiting for the long one.