Barnett talking about how little the D prepped for Denver

I don't know if this was already touched upon, but since it was posted last night at 1am, I think I'm safe:

Bills LB Nick Barnett knows their performance against the Denver Broncos may not have been anything to shout about on Saturday night, but he’s promising bigger and better things for the regular season and is telling Bills fans not to panic.

“We should be able to run our base defense and stop them, then again, we did not game plan them at all,” said Barnett. ”I probably watched one quarter on them, and that was today. It’s the preseason, you’re supposed to be able to go out there and play your base defense and make the plays. We came up a little bit short, but there were some good things that we can take from this game and build upon. I wouldn’t throw away your season tickets; it’s going to be a great season, don’t worry.”

Watched. One. Quarter.

I'll buy it for the defense. I still find the offensive line effort deficient.

That being said, did Denver then game plan for us and we have all that on tape for December 24th? On both sides of the ball, I saw more than just base being run.

I don't know if this was already touched upon, but since it was posted last night at 1am, I think I'm safe:

Bills LB Nick Barnett knows their performance against the Denver Broncos may not have been anything to shout about on Saturday night, but he’s promising bigger and better things for the regular season and is telling Bills fans not to panic.

“We should be able to run our base defense and stop them, then again, we did not game plan them at all,” said Barnett. ”I probably watched one quarter on them, and that was today. It’s the preseason, you’re supposed to be able to go out there and play your base defense and make the plays. We came up a little bit short, but there were some good things that we can take from this game and build upon. I wouldn’t throw away your season tickets; it’s going to be a great season, don’t worry.”

Watched. One. Quarter.

Thanks, Russ....

Read the Buffalo News article:

Linky

Gailey said his coaches intentionally used base schemes, almost no blitzes on defense, no extra help for pass blockers to account for the strengths of the Denver personnel.

Gailey intentionally did not allow blitzing because he wanted to evaluate deficiencies in the base defense. He did not allow chip blocking on offense either because he wanted to evaluate how well individual players performed in just a base scheme.

I thought something about this game didn't look right. This game was about evaluating talent, not winning. We'll have to ride this out to see how things progress.

I'm still wondering why everyone is so uppity about a preseason game. You're not going to show anything to the opponent so other teams can get a book on you. You're also evaluating the players and who will do what in the base defense/offense. Winning the game is a distant 3rd (if that) to the above two objectives.

Get a grip.

I'm still wondering why everyone is so uppity about a preseason game. You're not going to show anything to the opponent so other teams can get a book on you. You're also evaluating the players and who will do what in the base defense/offense. Winning the game is a distant 3rd (if that) to the above two objectives.

Get a grip.

I think people remember the preseason of the past two years, when we looked terrible. And then come the regular season, we still looked... terrible.

I think people remember the preseason of the past two years, when we looked terrible. And then come the regular season, we still looked... terrible.

Caveman has it right. We don't have the luxury of pretending we can turn it on for the season opener. There's nothing to turn on. The offense will take a step back from last year. The line is abysmal and depth is worse. Fitz hasn't found a groove yet and the loss of Evans was a self inflicted wound that will come back and haunt us season long. Chan wanted to come out and see how his team played in base offense and defense. Well, mission accomplished, it was horrid. Channix have a few weeks left to get some talent and depth on the OL. We can spend $4 mil on a gimmick QB who will take a few snaps a game but won't spend a dime on OL talent that we can't pull off a waiver wire or PS somewhere. Pathetic. And what really amazes me is after drafting 650 or so DB's this past decade, our secondary is weak. As fans, let's watch to DL improve and rest our hats on that for the time being...that'w what we got folks.

Bingo.

I'd love to see us come out and play with confidence in the pre-season, instead of dicking around waiting to lose in the regular season.

Get a grip.

Because the average poster has no idea what they're looking at, doesn't understand what "base" means and wants to participate in the "OMG WE SUCK" screaming contest.

Preseason games are for evaluating personnel. We have absolutely no idea what the coaches objectives are going into the game yet the fan base freaks when they don't see us absolutely dominating. I'm sure we could go out and waste time installing a full blown game plan but it's a pointless exercise.

Gailey & Wanny wanted to see if they could get pressure on the QB with just 3 lineman. If they can, it completely changes what they can do in the regular season. That process is called a self assessment. He also wanted to see if our five lineman were able to block in a base package without a lot of additional schemes.

Can we all just please relax and let the coaches do their job. If we don't win 8 games this season then you'll have something to B word about.

Not having a game plan does not excuse your starting OT getting blown up or the new TE looking stupid as the OLB plants the QB into the ground. Bills had several 3rd & 1 opportunities in the first half and needed gimmick plays to pick up the 1st down. So please spare me the "no game plan" preseason ritual. Bills did bring LB blitzes, but weren't successful. If there's any hope for this season, they better protect Merriman's health at any cost.

Until this team finally wins the 1-on-1 battles in the trenches, these threads will be common.

Not having a game plan does not excuse your starting OT getting blown up or the new TE looking stupid as the OLB plants the QB into the ground. Bills had several 3rd & 1 opportunities in the first half and needed gimmick plays to pick up the 1st down. So please spare me the "no game plan" preseason ritual. Bills did bring LB blitzes, but weren't successful. If there's any hope for this season, they better protect Merriman's health at any cost.

Until this team finally wins the 1-on-1 battles in the trenches, these threads will be common.

LB blitzes are part of the base 3-4 package. What we didn't do is send anyone from the secondary on blitzes. Denver did on almost every snap.

The lack of planning was obvious on Denver's second scoring drive. Orton took them down the field with a series of short drops, one play even one step drop and picked up big yards along with quick snapping the Bills before the defense was set on the same drive. Buffalo would see that on film and be ready in a regular season game. The defense does not concerm me as much as the offense.

Fitzpatrick has not been accurate, receivers drop balls when he is and Bell's ugly performance is going to get the QB killed. Based on what the wr's showed the other night, I cannot see the logic in casting off Lee Evans for a 4th rounder.

Because the average poster has no idea what they're looking at, doesn't understand what "base" means and wants to participate in the "OMG WE SUCK" screaming contest.

Preseason games are for evaluating personnel. We have absolutely no idea what the coaches objectives are going into the game yet the fan base freaks when they don't see us absolutely dominating. I'm sure we could go out and waste time installing a full blown game plan but it's a pointless exercise.

Gailey & Wanny wanted to see if they could get pressure on the QB with just 3 lineman. If they can, it completely changes what they can do in the regular season. That process is called a self assessment. He also wanted to see if our five lineman were able to block in a base package without a lot of additional schemes.

Can we all just please relax and let the coaches do their job. If we don't win 8 games this season then you'll have something to B word about.

I, as an average fan, know that an inaccurate QB is an inaccurate QB. Simple sets or not, regardless of the coaches agendas, Fitz couldn't hit the far side of the barn. So here's the OMG WE SUCK screaming contest, FITZ LOOKED HORRIBLE. But it's okay, it's only the 2nd preseason game, and we only used base packages, that called for the QB to misthrow, so we could see how athletic our WRs are.

LB blitzes are part of the base 3-4 package. What we didn't do is send anyone from the secondary on blitzes. Denver did on almost every snap.

I didn't know that 58 & 92 are numbers assigned to defensive backs. Was that another NFL rule change?

Read the Buffalo News article:

Linky

Gailey intentionally did not allow blitzing because he wanted to evaluate deficiencies in the base defense. He did not allow chip blocking on offense either because he wanted to evaluate how well individual players performed in just a base scheme.

I thought something about this game didn't look right. This game was about evaluating talent, not winning. We'll have to ride this out to see how things progress.

It's been posted around here before (and by myself as well) that Marv Levy always felt worried if he won a preseason game. If he did, he thought he probably wasn't using the opportunity to evaluate his own players in situations that MIGHT arise in the regular season when, it goes without saying, that the games count. Whether that was the reason the Bills looked awful Saturday -- that Gailey was using a game that doesn't count to evaluate his players -- or if the Bills really do suck is something I don't think we'll know for about another month.

I understand running base defenses I really do. What I don't understand is not watching any film and preparing for your opponent. It seems not watching film doesn't put players in a position to succeed. They will watch film in the regular season so how much evaluation can be done when preparation is different regardless of schemes that are run?

OMG we suck!!!! We're awful. Oh wait, it's base protection scheme testing time.....whew. Soundss about right.

Get a grip.

This is TSW...bitching is what people do.

The coaching staff obviously has concerns about the starters and backups on both lines and put them in situations where they didn't "cover up" any weaknesses with game planning. This was a "stress test" plain and simple, and unfortunately, the raw talent level was exposed (as you might expect it would on team coming of a 4-12 season).

That said, creative game planning can (and does) allow a lot of holes to be covered up--and this coaching staff seems to have a pretty good handle on how to polish a turd.

Caveman has it right. We don't have the luxury of pretending we can turn it on for the season opener. There's nothing to turn on. The offense will take a step back from last year. The line is abysmal and depth is worse. Fitz hasn't found a groove yet and the loss of Evans was a self inflicted wound that will come back and haunt us season long. Chan wanted to come out and see how his team played in base offense and defense. Well, mission accomplished, it was horrid. Channix have a few weeks left to get some talent and depth on the OL. We can spend $4 mil on a gimmick QB who will take a few snaps a game but won't spend a dime on OL talent that we can't pull off a waiver wire or PS somewhere. Pathetic. And what really amazes me is after drafting 650 or so DB's this past decade, our secondary is weak. As fans, let's watch to DL improve and rest our hats on that for the time being...that'w what we got folks.

What he said..... :thumbsup:

I didn't know that 58 & 92 are numbers assigned to defensive backs. Was that another NFL rule change?

I'm not sure of the plays you're referring to, and you may be right. But if you're talking about a base 3-4 defense where one of the outside linebackers rushes the passer, I would not at all call that a blitz, that's a base defense with the rush LB just taking the place of a DE on a 4 man front. Merriman will rush from that spot virtually every play. That's no surprise to a team, or going after the QB, or disguising anything. It's a straight base defense.

OMG we suck!!!! We're awful. Oh wait, it's base protection scheme testing time.....whew. Soundss about right.

heard a caller to NFL radio discuss his major concerns about Steven Jackson for St. Louis. In thier most recent game, he ran for 10 yards on 6 carriers. Ergo, the caller suggested, there was a major concern for SJ on the short yardage carrier in the upcoming season. if you only average 1.6 ypc in that pre-season game, what's going to happen when you need 3 on 3rd down in the regular season? the reply from ross tucker was basically this:

the guy's a beast, he's shown he can get it done, don't be alarmed about the results of a preseason game where he wasn't trying to impress coaches, make the team, or make a statement. however---if the caller was concerned about SJ's body beginning to show the wear and tear after 4 years of league-leading yards from scrimmage, well, at some point he'll begin to breakdown so that may be a valid concern. either way, the message was "time will tell".

i think that's a wise course of action. if you have a coach telling you "our plan was to play it the way we played regardless of the outcome", and an LB says they took a quick look at film---why go any further than that? obviously, they may well struggle in the regular season---time will tell.

I'm not sure of the plays you're referring to, and you may be right. But if you're talking about a base 3-4 defense where one of the outside linebackers rushes the passer, I would not at all call that a blitz, that's a base defense with the rush LB just taking the place of a DE on a 4 man front. Merriman will rush from that spot virtually every play. That's no surprise to a team, or going after the QB, or disguising anything. It's a straight base defense.

The reply referred to Denver continually sending DBs on blitzes, while my memory of the game recalls seeing 58 & 92 all over Fitz.

Bingo.

I'd love to see us come out and play with confidence in the pre-season, instead of dicking around waiting to lose in the regular season.

+1.

i absolutely couldn't agree with you more.

an ideal scrimmage for the buffalo bills, in my mind, would be them leaving everything on the field on saturday nights this summer.

it's disgusting that a player like, merriman, for instance, would take the night off. for what? scared of getting injured? it's absolutely ridiculous and is symbolic of the struggles of this organization for the last decade. i mean, in all honesty, what's the worse that could happen if merriman played "lights out" defense for 60 minutes? a torn acl or achilles? ill say this once - WHO CARES! the preseason is about setting the tone for the season, not about anything else. if injuries to major players happen - so be it. all in the name of a win baby.

and don't even get me started on the offense! pathetic. i can't even believe fitz would say something along the lines of "the goal of these games is to get out without injury." who's goal is that? a losing organizations, thats who's. the goal should always be to JUST WIN BABY. ideally, i would want to see fitz kicking and screaming about getting pulled from the game. he should WANT to get injured on that field in denver. a seperated shoulder, concussion, or blown ligament should be par for the course in the second scrimmage of the summer, and DEFINITELY against a conference opponent that we could be battling for a wild card. the whole offense in general showed what babies they are by letting gailey not play them for 4 quarters.

i am disgusted all around by the lack of effort, heart and emotion the bills showed in this last scrimmage. if you think ralph wilson is going to see a PENNY from me this season - think again. i want these rejects playing these scrimmages like its the super bowl - set the tone for the season. if they don't win this saturday against jacksonville, ill see you at the draft, because this season will be OVER.

heard a caller to NFL radio discuss his major concerns about Steven Jackson for St. Louis. In thier most recent game, he ran for 10 yards on 6 carriers. Ergo, the caller suggested, there was a major concern for SJ on the short yardage carrier in the upcoming season. if you only average 1.6 ypc in that pre-season game, what's going to happen when you need 3 on 3rd down in the regular season? the reply from ross tucker was basically this:

the guy's a beast, he's shown he can get it done, don't be alarmed about the results of a preseason game where he wasn't trying to impress coaches, make the team, or make a statement. however---if the caller was concerned about SJ's body beginning to show the wear and tear after 4 years of league-leading yards from scrimmage, well, at some point he'll begin to breakdown so that may be a valid concern. either way, the message was "time will tell".

i think that's a wise course of action. if you have a coach telling you "our plan was to play it the way we played regardless of the outcome", and an LB says they took a quick look at film---why go any further than that? obviously, they may well struggle in the regular season---time will tell.

Time will tell indeed. But you need to give me and everyone that is upset at least this much: in today's NFL, it is (and has been proven) possible to do a complete rebuild in under 3 years. We may be a special case because we have been completely dysfunctional for so long.....BUT....this regime went backwards to 4-12 last year and they do NOT deserve a pass for another 4-12. I say this ONLY because the OL was a glaring area of concern when they came in.....and, 2 drafts and FA periods later, it remains a glaring area of concern - now more than ever. There's little if anything to feel good about on the OL...when it comes specifically to the Tackles....they have no excuses. Outside of owner-interference for a "asses in the seats/jersey sales pick"...the explanation for the Spiller thing remains a mystery to many.

We can twist, turn and contort to try to explain away the bloody-awful pre-season perfomances BUT this They have that much more to prove this year.SOMETHING to get the fans excited. Otherwise this could be 1985 very soon.

to the long suffering fan, until we see a true fll-tilt commitment to winning...bitching will remian our only medicine. Better to vent anger/frustration here than out in the real world!!!

Well, there are game plans and then there are game plans.

Don't the coaches have to "plan" the way they will proceed through a game in terms of playing people and putting them in situations so coaches can gauge a player's potential? And, if that is somewhat true, don't the coaches have to "plan" certain alignments in certain situations to give players the opportunity to perform and exhibit what they've learned in camp? And, don't coaches have to, therefore, know a bit about their opponent's tendencies? Don't the coaches want to at least give their players the impression that they know a bit about what to expect come game day against another team--pre-season, or not?

Oh wait, that sounds like game planning and so many on this board have said that isn't necessary in pre-season....

The reply referred to Denver continually sending DBs on blitzes, while my memory of the game recalls seeing 58 & 92 all over Fitz.

Laughs. My bad. I thought you were talking about Carrington and a back-up LB blitzing (although now that I think about it, I'm not sure we even have a 58). Carry on.

+1.

i absolutely couldn't agree with you more.

an ideal scrimmage for the buffalo bills, in my mind, would be them leaving everything on the field on saturday nights this summer.

it's disgusting that a player like, merriman, for instance, would take the night off. for what? scared of getting injured? it's absolutely ridiculous and is symbolic of the struggles of this organization for the last decade. i mean, in all honesty, what's the worse that could happen if merriman played "lights out" defense for 60 minutes? a torn acl or achilles? ill say this once - WHO CARES! the preseason is about setting the tone for the season, not about anything else. if injuries to major players happen - so be it. all in the name of a win baby.

and don't even get me started on the offense! pathetic. i can't even believe fitz would say something along the lines of "the goal of these games is to get out without injury." who's goal is that? a losing organizations, thats who's. the goal should always be to JUST WIN BABY. ideally, i would want to see fitz kicking and screaming about getting pulled from the game. he should WANT to get injured on that field in denver. a seperated shoulder, concussion, or blown ligament should be par for the course in the second scrimmage of the summer, and DEFINITELY against a conference opponent that we could be battling for a wild card. the whole offense in general showed what babies they are by letting gailey not play them for 4 quarters.

i am disgusted all around by the lack of effort, heart and emotion the bills showed in this last scrimmage. if you think ralph wilson is going to see a PENNY from me this season - think again. i want these rejects playing these scrimmages like its the super bowl - set the tone for the season. if they don't win this saturday against jacksonville, ill see you at the draft, because this season will be OVER.

I hope to god this is some sarcastic joke of a rant! If not you just don't get it.

Whats your point then? Denver was still blitzing LBs, because they run a 4-3. Our LBs rushing from the 3-4 are nothing more than a standard rush. We continually brought 3-4 guys on the pass rush. Many times Denver brought 5 or more, which to me, constitutes a blitz.

As for preseason, its for getting the starters a few reps, but its mainly to figure out which 10 of the 50 or so bottom guys are going to make the roster.

Edited by Ramius

This is TSW...bitching is what people do.

The coaching staff obviously has concerns about the starters and backups on both lines and put them in situations where they didn't "cover up" any weaknesses with game planning. This was a "stress test" plain and simple, and unfortunately, the raw talent level was exposed (as you might expect it would on team coming of a 4-12 season).

That said, creative game planning can (and does) allow a lot of holes to be covered up--and this coaching staff seems to have a pretty good handle on how to polish a turd.

This.

And nice analgous use of the term stress test BTW! :thumbsup:

Whats your point then? Denver was still blitzing LBs, because they run a 4-3. Our LBs rushing from the 3-4 are nothing more than a standard rush. We continually brought 3-4 guys on the pass rush. Many times Denver brought 5 or more, which to me, constitutes a blitz.

As for preseason, its for getting the starters a few reps, but its mainly to figure out which 10 of the 50 or so bottom guys are going to make the roster.

I think his point was that Miller and Dumervile were the ones doing to damage, against our starting OT, not the DBs or other blitzing LBs. I have to watch the replay to see if Bell just got flat beat by his man (which I think happened on first blush) or there were other extenuating circumstances.

This is all fine about almost zero preparation. The part that scares me is the bit about no chip blocks in pass protection. It puts the QB in considerable danger. There were a couple times when rushers came totally unblocked from Fitz’s blind side and he got smeared.

I noticed the refs were calling roughing the QB closer than usual, but still... all debate about Fitz’s accuracy aside, we don’t want to go into the regular season with Tyler Thigpen as our #1 guy.

I think his point was that Miller and Dumervile were the ones doing to damage, against our starting OT, not the DBs or other blitzing LBs. I have to watch the replay to see if Bell just got flat beat by his man (which I think happened on first blush) or there were other extenuating circumstances.

The answer, I think, is yes. From my viewing, Bell was beaten several different ways on several different plays. He definitely had a bad night. With that said, I don't recall much help at all shifted to his side; and Miller and Dumerville are Denver's 2 best pass rushers.

I think this whole notion of not game planning and playing base O and D throughout is interesting. What I saw was the first offensive and defensive series looking pretty good for Buffalo. Offensively, we moved the ball down the field pretty well - until Fitz missed on several passes resulting in the FG. Defensively, we shut them down pretty well. After that, however, things got progressively worse. Could it be the Bills stayed in their base formations and tried specific plays, regardless of down and distance. On the flip side, the Broncos made adjustments and took advantage of the down and distance. ?

That's kinda what I saw, or how I interpreted the game. Yes, its better to see 9 sacks and the offensive moving in sync. But, its also beneficial to see the the weaknesses and strengths of your team so you can properly prepare for each opponent. However, I think you gotta balance all that out with trying to build confidence in your players as well; hence, I'm hoping they prepare a little better for next week's game and get some points on the board.