Evans traded to Baltimore

Jdragon2

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh here we go.

Players don't perform, must be the coaches fault.

Players perform, all praise beith the coaching staff, unless it's the Bills coaching staff.

Shouldn't the fact that under Chan Stevie Johnson and Roscoe Parrish both had career years while UDFAs like Nelson and Jones looked good when given opportunities but at the same time Lee had one of his worst seasons of his entire career count for something? Why was he the only wideout that Chan was unable to elevate?

Its about getting rid of an expensive mistake. Keeping a guy like that around, performing below even average, yet pulling down millions is not good for the team.

Which is why Gailey has to quell a mini team revolt before the first snap of the season?

Way to show a consistent intelligence across several boards.

Haha. Well played. I'm just saying, Johnson benefited from having Lee on the other side of him. You can dispute that all you want, but at least right now, there aren't many WR's on the Bills roster that teams are worried about planning for. But hey, at least Brad Smith will get his touches.

Listen, I get what you are saying. So the role of who teams game plan for WR-wise shifts to Stevie. My argument to that is don't you think every defense game plans for the good/great WR's on any team ala Andre/Calvin Johnson. And yet they still come through and produce. Do we know how Stevie will respond to this role? No, not at all but if he is a great WR, he will find a way to get open.

Still looking at 7 WR's I think:

Johnson

Nelson

Easley

Jones

Parrish

Smith

Naaman

Plus Spiller out wide now and then.

FYI, I'm not changing the Bills' positional needs one bit at DraftTek as a result of this trade. WR is still the lowest priority on this team IMHO.

Shouldn't the fact that under Chan Stevie Johnson and Roscoe Parrish both had career years while UDFAs like Nelson and Jones looked good when given opportunities but at the same time Lee had one of his worst seasons of his entire career count for something? Why was he the only wideout that Chan was unable to elevate?

Shhhh, fans are shitting themselves. Just let them be.

Which is why Gailey has to quell a mini team revolt before the first snap of the season?

Way to show a consistent intelligence across several boards.

No WAY. The Goon Squad is tight. If anything, this will make them stronger, inject solidarity.

Good Luck to Evans. The fact that they traded a current "asset" for a latter round draft pick NEXT year with a no value added this year to replace the "asset" tells you just how the front office feels about the importance of fielding a competent and competitive team THIS year. And given the history of our(if you want me to be a fan, you at least have to make an effort to create the ILLUSION that you are attempting to be become competitive) the Bills draft department, what are statistical odds of them using a late 4th round pick to draft someone who was as at least as competent as Lee is.

Oh, I'm sure there are a few stray dreamers out there attempting to rationalize this as a part of a brilliant secret plan of front office to stockpile draft picks to use to trade up in the next draft's "Good Luck" derby, lol.

Personally, I guess that given the limited number of NFL teams, the sale value of most NFL teams is not based so much on the current quality of it's players under contract, or it's current market, but predominately on the fact it is one of ONLY 32 teams. Other than a few select teams already located in the prime markets, a prospective buyer is really purchasing a team and assigning it's value mainly based on the fact it is one of an exclusive and extremely limited number of teams. It can be moved, and it's staff and players can be built to the whims and desires of the new owner.

When a team's owner has one and only one consideration, how much can the team be sold for, it makes sense to invest the minimum possible in the team and maximize the current return on investment until such time that the team is sold.

An excellent business decision, but it is sad for anyone foolish enough to hope that they might have a team to root for that is a legitimate competitor, and not simply an investment property being maintained with a "minimal caretaker budget" until it can be sold with the maximum overall return on investment. The local area and the fans are once again being brazenly "shown the bird" by the ownership and most are too dense or irrational enough to realize it.

They've sucked with Lee Evans for how many years? I'm open to something different. I support Nix in doing this and look forward to watching some hungry young wr's

right..play more rookies...thats how you win in the NFL.

Team is a freakin joke...

They are about as irrelevant as it gets in the league, mine as well take away the best offensive player they have on a team ranked near the bottom in all offensive categories.

I wish they would just leave town....

Fear The Man Behind The Curtain. Buddy may not have even been on board.

Have you changed your position on this issue KTFBD? When the Bills drafted Spiller you shot down the notion of the call being made froom upstairs.

In any event, I agree with you this time. Although not as upset by the trade as are many, it would seem that they could have waited for a team to lose a receiver due to injury, and perhaps have picked up a 3rd.

My hope is that one of the kids turns out to be good so they need not waste another first round pick on a flashy skill player.

Listen, I get what you are saying. So the role of who teams game plan for WR-wise shifts to Stevie. My argument to that is don't you think every defense game plans for the good/great WR's on any team ala Andre/Calvin Johnson. And yet they still come through and produce. Do we know how Stevie will respond to this role? No, not at all but if he is a great WR, he will find a way to get open.

I've been thinking about this for a bit now and, who says teams weren't game planning for Stevie later in the season? We all keep saying the Evans was the #1 receiver, but that was only how he was viewed by Buffalo's offense, not the opposing Defense. If the defenses did learn from the first few games of the season, they would have been keying on Stevie instead of Evans, which then means Evans wasn't even a decoy later in the season, he just wasn't producing. Further, that would show that Stevie has already responded, and responded well, to the #1 role.

I have no clue if that's anywhere close to what happened last season, just a thought I am throwing out there.

They've sucked with Lee Evans for how many years? I'm open to something different. I support Nix in doing this and look forward to watching some hungry young wr's

Yeah, I'm not disheartned with the move like a lot of other Bills fans..I never liked listening to him talk much anyways. He never sounds emotionally into it to me...almost like he's talking, but somewhere else in his mind. Good, whatever! Only so many years you can say..well he's fast, and another player got more catches because of him. No, he's a WR...If he isn't catching the ball much, he's not that much help! I doubt

teams are really gameplanning a lot for Lee Evans, he's on the downside, been with the Bills for about 8 years...only had one or two very nice seasons.

The best thing is that we got his best years from him for football purposes (8 years) and now we either parlay that pick with another to move up in the 2012 draft or we get a player that could turn out to be something special (who knows)..wasn't Kyle Williams a 4th rounder? maybe not?

But there have been 4th rounders who have turned out to be excellent players! Maybe Terrel Davis was a 4th rounder...at least a 3rd? The point is,

that we get another player, for another hopefully long stretch, who could possibly have a career with the Bills in return for a player who already

spent the majority of his career here, and is definitely quickly slipping closer to retirement!

I think it was actually a wise move, as this years team probably isn't going to far, puts us in no worse shape for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes, and may enhance it just slightly! The good teams know when to let a aging player go. Just look at Lawyer Milloy who many including myself was excited to get from New England! or Drew Bledsoe etc....Little did we know they were either done, or hitting the wall very shortly! Good talent evaluators recognize the wall..and try to get something for the player before it's too late! Next season when this team is hopefully a blossoming young team that has filled some holes, and of a higher talent base than previous years...well Lee Evans will be another year older, maybe even slower, and we'll all be saying that "Geez, the Bills should've traded him while they had the chance!" Quite Honestly, Buddy Nix/Chan Gailey sometimes can't win the fan judgement award no matter what they do!

I think this was a smart move!!! Would've liked a 3rd rounder in return, but they got what the market rate is!!!!!! Go Bills

Anyways, I'm sure there are some free agent WR's out there the Bills could pick up as a low cost option...Isn't T.O. on the market still? Not that he's great or anything anymore, but he is useful and actually statisticallly was probably better than Lee Evans the year he was here, and I believe he had a good season for the Bengals last year. Does anyone know which WR's are freeagents that haven't been claimed yet?

Edited by tonyjustbcuz

Good Luck to Evans. The fact that they traded a current "asset" for a latter round draft pick NEXT year with a no value added this year to replace the "asset" tells you just how the front office feels about the importance of fielding a competent and competitive team THIS year. And given the history of our(if you want me to be a fan, you at least have to make an effort to create the ILLUSION that you are attempting to be become competitive) the Bills draft department, what are statistical odds of them using a late 4th round pick to draft someone who was as at least as competent as Lee is.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. The odds against this ever turning into our favor are not good.

No WAY. The Goon Squad is tight. If anything, this will make them stronger, inject solidarity.

Perhaps you can enlighten me on the last trade that provoked such strong public reaction in the locker room?

If you want a parallel, check out Sabres performance in the season after a certain July afternoon (and that was a far more talented roster )

Edited by GG

Sooooo is that your rebuttal? Seriously, so now its not the player its the coach. How about an actual Bills player. Eric Moulds. Eric was by far, a much more productive receiver. He was a true #1. And he had just as crappy QB and Coaching.

You're right. Evans wouldn't have put up better numbers with Bledsoe/Flutie than he did with JP Losman and Captain Checkdown. :lol:

Is Evans Larry Fitzgerald? Nope. Is he a "one dimensional, one route" wide receiver? Not even close. He's the product of a horribly run organization that rarely puts its most gifted players in the position to maximize their effectiveness.

The BILLS drafted Evans in the first round, wasted his talents, then tossed him aside for a fourth round draft choice. We can pretend it's a good move but this franchise's history shows otherwise. The locker room has cancer yet again, and the season hasn't even started.

Perhaps you can enlighten me on the last trade that provoked such strong public reaction in the locker room?

If you want a parallel, check out Sabres performance in the season after a certain July afternoon (and that was a far more talented roster )

So Dra-Flo's twitter account speaks for the locker room now?

His opinion (as a member of the unit OPPOSITE Evans') matters to the receivers morale...because?

This is just what I thought. He's the only #1 who really panned out in umpteen years and we trade him!

Contending status is a year or two away and like you said he's been here for umpteen years. No better time than now to deal him. Lee can finish his career with a contender. Everyone should be happy.

Have you changed your position on this issue KTFBD? When the Bills drafted Spiller you shot down the notion of the call being made froom upstairs.

Draft picks are not made by The Man Behind The Curtain. He has to pay draft picks the same whether they are Spiller or an OT or DT. So no, I don't believe for a second that Spiller was not a Nix and Gailey pick.

We would have had to cut a player that has NFL ability if we kept Evans. To me, there is no doubt about that. And now Easley, for example, has a chance to shine. If he plays well, it will be a good trade. Brad Smith is also football fast as well as a good football player and playmaker. Spiller is a burner. We aren't lost without Evans, we just aren't as good or versatile, unless Easley is a deep threat. He may or may not be. Our running game will suffer as much as the passing game, with Evans gone (unless, as stated, we can spread the field with Easley or Smith/Spiller).

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

I know a lot of people aren't happy about this, but may i point out that Lee Evans is NOT a superstar wideout, he is getting old,and has not shown much these past two seasons, and we have other good wideouts like Roscoe and Nelson. Not to mention Brad Smith who i think could be a legitamite slot receiver, as well as Easley, Jones and Roosevelt. Sure, he comes up with the 40+ yard reception every once in a while, but how many times did he make a big play when we needed it most? How many pro bowls has he been to? I think people are overreacting over this trade. I don't think our offense will regress over this move at all.

You're right. Evans wouldn't have put up better numbers with Bledsoe/Flutie than he did with JP Losman and Captain Checkdown. :lol:

Is Evans Larry Fitzgerald? Nope. Is he a "one dimensional, one route" wide receiver? Not even close. He's the product of a horribly run organization that rarely puts its most gifted players in the position to maximize their effectiveness.

The BILLS drafted Evans in the first round, wasted his talents, then tossed him aside for a fourth round draft choice. We can pretend it's a good move but this franchise's history shows otherwise. The locker room has cancer yet again, and the season hasn't even started.

Fully agree, AD. I am furious right now. I elaborated on my anger before the trade and was hoping it wouldnt happen. But it did and I am not fully on the anti-Nix camp unless he proves me wrong. So far, under his tenure we have lost 3 #1 and 1 #2 rounder from before. Build through the draft and keep your own ? Really ? Isn't that what Nix said when he came in ? And he proceeded to purge the roster of players from the earlier regime without proven replacements. Created holes where we didn't have to. This is entirely meaningless. Thoroughly stupid move in a line of questionable ones. :angry:

He's the product of a horribly run organization that rarely puts its most gifted players in the position to maximize their effectiveness.

Why was Chan able to maximize the effectiveness of Steve Johnson and Roscoe Parrish but not Lee?

So Dra-Flo's twitter account speaks for the locker room now?

His opinion (as a member of the unit OPPOSITE Evans') matters to the receivers morale...because?

Because he properly identified the coming weakness in the Bills offensive game plan? I'm guessing you missed CJ's and Stevie's thoughts too?

Why was Chan able to maximize the effectiveness of Steve Johnson and Roscoe Parrish but not Lee?

As much as I like him, Lee was a one-trick pony. Reminds me of some guys I play ultimate frisbee with--they just run deep, and will oftentimes out-run the thrower, or just float around 50 yards away with a defender in their face.

Fully agree, AD. I am furious right now. I elaborated on my anger before the trade and was hoping it wouldnt happen. But it did and I am not fully on the anti-Nix camp unless he proves me wrong. So far, under his tenure we have lost 3 #1 and 1 #2 rounder from before. Build through the draft and keep your own ? Really ? Isn't that what Nix said when he came in ? And he proceeded to purge the roster of players from the earlier regime without proven replacements. Created holes where we didn't have to. This is entirely meaningless. Thoroughly stupid move in a line of questionable ones. :angry:

I don't blame Nix because this kind of stuff has happened throughout Ralph's ownership, and especially since friggin' Overdorf/Littman have been at the helm financially. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nix wasn't involved at all.

How did the Patriots respond when Lawyer Milloy was cut? From what I remember they went ballistic. How did they finish that year?

The point is that it's a bit silly to gauge whether this is a good move or not based on the perspective from one player. Players tend to be emotional, it's natural that they aren't gonna be pleased with a trade from a player that they respected. But let's not get carried away regarding one player's emotional twitter response.

In regards to Lee Evans, let's face it, we can blame his lack of production on the coaches, offensive line, QB's, being a one-trick-pony or what have you, but bottom line is he hasn't been a productive WR over the past couple years. Sure, if you guys want to believe that he was the main reason why Stevie J had as productive of a receiver as he did, fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but even if that were to be the case, basically his value last year was as a decoy.

I never was on the Lee bandwagon, never thought he was an exceptional route runner, in my view he didn't fight for the ball when the situation called for, and many times just appeared to be a nonfactor in most games.

Who knows? Maybe Chan sees something in Easley, Donald or one of the other players. I personally am excited to see what Gailey can do with these guys.

Edited by Magox

I doubt Andre Johnson has caught a dozen balls in his career when he's doubled. To say otherwise is ludicrous. If Andre Johnson played for the BILLS with Drew Bledsoe/JP Losman/Trent Edwards/some loser from Green Bay/Ryan Fitzpatrick with Dick Jauron and Mike Mularkey as his head coach, he'd look one dimension too.

Right. The problems with Buffalo's offense are because Lee Evans can't get open. Not because of poor QB play for a decade, an OLine that has been among the worst in NFL history for the same time frame, or mediocre (or worse) coaching. That damn one-dimensional Lee Evans (shakes fist like angry old muppet guy).

You don't watch much football do you? Johnson could have the whole team covering him & still find a way to get open. That guy is a true flat out #1 beast of a receiver.

As for your last point. Yeah that is right blame everybody but Evans. You & countless of others did the same thing when we had Losman. Well guess what Losman is out of the league now.

BTW Andre Johnson played 4 years(2003-2006) with David Carr as his qb.

Edited by Gordio

So 28th in the NFL in scoring offense is now "maximizing effectiveness"? 33 catches for 400 yards and 2 TDs is "maximizing effectiveness"?

Excuse me while I laugh my ass off.

As much as I like him, Lee was a one-trick pony. Reminds me of some guys I play ultimate frisbee with--they just run deep, and will oftentimes out-run the thrower, or just float around 50 yards away with a defender in their face.

Lee's a pretty good receiver who will probably have 1-2 productive seasons with Boldin/Flacco until his production trails off precipitously. That being said I'm fine with the Bills trading away every veteran who either they don't anticipate being on the team in 2013 or who will probably be declining due to age. Did I just write off 2 seasons?

So 28th in the NFL in scoring offense is now "maximizing effectiveness"? 33 catches for 400 yards and 2 TDs is "maximizing effectiveness"?

In 6 games.

Why dont you look at roscoe's numbers from the previous years. Take a look at Steve Johnsons stats from last year while you're at it

What is even worse about this trade is that Baltimore is quality playoff team. Therefore, this fourth round pick becomes a late fourth round pick. My question is could they have traded him to Arizona for a higher fourth round pick?

I would have kept Evans for another year and perhaps he would have improved on his numbers from last year and been more valuable on the market for next year or perhaps later this season after some starter on another team gets hurt. We might have been able to get more for him if we dangled him before the trade deadline. As a Bills fan this tells me that they have no intention of making the playoffs this year and they have already given up on this season. I can't see how this helps this team especially if any of these younger WR's get hurt or prove they aren't pro material.

So 28th in the NFL in scoring offense is now "maximizing effectiveness"?

OK, but I didn't make the point about the offense in general.

33 catches for 400 yards and 2 TDs is "maximizing effectiveness"?

Seriously? Roscoe averaged about 20 catches for 200 yards a season for the first 5 years of his career and Chan figured out a way to nearly double that production in only half a season. Sounds like the "maximization of effectiveness" to me.

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic believes the Cardinals will only deal for Lee Evans "if the price is right."

It's the same attitude they took with Braylon Edwards and Malcom Floyd. The coaches want to get a long look at Andre Roberts and Early Doucet, so they won't be in a hurry to pull the trigger. Somers suspects GM Rod Graves won't part with more than a fifth-round pick for Evans.

roto.com

:wallbash:

Edited by bills_red

I don't blame Nix because this kind of stuff has happened throughout Ralph's ownership, and especially since friggin' Overdorf/Littman have been at the helm financially. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nix wasn't involved at all.

i wouldn't either...is it any wonder top coaches, gm's and free agents shun buffalo like the plague...it's the dollar general store of the nfl. and they prove it repeatedly while people somehow find a way to rationalize it. addition by subtraction on a team this devoid of talent? no way.

Edited by birdog1960