Evans traded to Baltimore

Jdragon2

There is no rationalizing this as a good move if, in fact, it was decided by finance folks and not football people. If Kelly the Dog is correct that this came from Overdorf & Co., then there is no way this is a good development for the team, and you folks should be ashamed of yourselves for buying tickets to support such a Mickey Mouse organization.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care what anyone says, Lee Evans is an extremely talented WR. He's fast and has great hands. It's a shame to lose him, he's been with us for seven years and we never did him the service of giving him a legit QB to throw to him.

While it may be better to get something for him now rather than nothing later, I still don't like it. A 4th seems far too low for a player of his calibre. Opposite Boldin, he's going to have a big year. These guys will compliment each other well.

This is a lot of faith to put in the WR corps. We know Johnson is the #1 guy but who plays opposite? Parrish is great in the slot but can't play outside. Nelson may have to be the one to step up. But until someone does step up, Johnson is going to see blanket coverage all year long. Gailey is going to have to get creative to get him open and put the ball in his hands.

This is exactly what the Patriots do, time and time again. Ship off an aging star while they still have some value, package those picks up and use them to get better down the road. We all agreed before that the WR crew was the strong point of this team and had too many for the spots available. Now we have space to keep another one of these (good)young guys to see what they are made of.

I guess the sky is falling again. I think its a good move and I wish Lee the best in Baltimore. It takes tough decisions to make a winner. Lee Evans does not make this team a Superbowl contender by himself. If we have 4 good receivers that can run excellent routes, get open and catch the ball does it really matter? Time will tell.

Edited by phxbacker

i've got some good news and i've got some bad news.....

with the first pick in the 2012 NFL Draft....the Buffalo Bills select Andrew Luck QB Stanford.

Do you really think the subtraction of Lee Evans from this team secures them the #1 overall pick. I submit that the difference is NEVER a WR.

I understand the frustration as I'm a Bills season ticket holder living in Chicago, but the hysteria over the Bills trading a 30 year old who had 37 catches on a 4-12 team is ridiculous.

Hey, we lost with him....we can lose without him.

There is no rationalizing this as a good move if, in fact, it was decided by finance folks and not football people. If Kelly the Dog is correct that this came from Overdorf & Co., then there is no way this is a good development for the team, and you folks should be ashamed of yourselves for buying tickets to support such a Mickey Mouse organization.

Not even if that money that Lee was given, goes to say.... Stevie? Just asking.

I think we should be satisfied Lee is gone. I think in the very short term it hurts our overall talent. But who knows Maybe Evans being here would not allow us to fully see what we have in the other receivers. He seemed like a real great person and for that I wish him well. But Evans wasn't so talented that we should get upset over this trade.

I know he wasn't making that much money at the end of his current contract, but the good news is that Lee's money will now be given to Stevie. That's a good thing. We are setting up for the future folks, hold and hang on. I honestly believe this FO knows what their doing.

Yep, gotta "see what we have."

I'll tell you what we have: An incompetent FO that enjoys creating holes and then not filling them.

suppose I need to change my name now... :oops:

In the past I mentioned the possiblity that the Bills should explore trading him. By the time we are ready to compete he will be at the last legs of his career. The time to trade him or explore the possibility of a trade is not in camp, but before the draft where you could package him and one of your picks to move higher up the board to grab an impact player; but in camp and for a fouth rounder??? Are you kidding me??? He had a reasonable salary, would have started, provided some results and was a great team guy. No his stats weren't as good with Fitzy as SJs were, But SJ was not a starter and played with the second team, which is where SJ played and hence their chemistry. How often did Fitz really play with our #1 WR?? Dumb move at the wrong time of the season :bag:

At least he has a shot at being on a winner. Good luck Lee!!!

How is this such a bad move? What was Lee going to help this team do?

I love looking at all of these people saying "Good Riddance'". Except for a few (looking at you Big Cat), you all have like 12 posts to your name. Not that posting volume equates good content, but a lot of these opinions are just flat out stupid.Listen, Lee wasn't a pro bowler, but he had pro bowl talent. He played in a few terrible offensive systems for a few terrible QBs. Anyone who has ripped the Bills' QBs, the Bills' coaches, the Bills' GMs or the Bills' offensive coordinators needs to think twice before going after Lee.

Anyways, I don't like this move for reasons I've already elaborated on, so I won't say them again. But I will say, don't think for a second that salary didn't play a role. You have your head in the sand if you don't think that was part of it.

Ever wonder if some of those guys may work for the team--as in trying to plant "rah, rah" ideas among the fans for an amazingly unpopular move? I wouldn't put it past them personally....

This is exactly what the Patriots do, time and time again. Ship off an aging star while they still have some value, package those picks up and use them to get better down the road. We all agreed before that the WR crew was the strong point of this team and had too many for the spots available. Now we have space to keep another one of these (good)young guys to see what they are made of.

I guess the sky is falling again. I think its a good move and I wish Lee the best in Baltimore. It takes tough decisions to make a winner. Lee Evans does not make this team a Superbowl contender by himself. If we have 4 good receivers that can run excellent routes, get open and catch the ball does it really matter? Time will tell.

+1

I guess the sky is falling again. I think its a good move and I wish Lee the best in Baltimore. It takes tough decisions to make a winner. Lee Evans does not make this team a Superbowl contender by himself. If we have 4 good receivers that can run excellent routes, get open and catch the ball does it really matter?

Actually, you're quite wrong. They traded a fourth FOR Moss and a fifth FOR Ochocinco. They traded Deion Branch for a FIRST ROUND pick.

Well said

:thumbsup:

the first time one of our new WR lays out someone with a block everyone will forget all about Lee.

I do think we have some good blocking WRs...I just worry about who can stretch the field reliably.

Again, the difference is that the Patriots are already a solid contender year-to-year, so they are dealing from a position of strength...it's not just different, it's 180 degrees opposite of what we're doing.

Drayton Florence likely knows as well as anyone, including Nix and Gailey, how good and how valuable a player Lee Evans is. And his response is "WTF Are we trying to win now or later?" and "If I would have known now..." That's about all you need to know.

This was a salary dump, plain and simple, and may not have even been made by Nix and Gailey, and I have very good reason to believe it wasn't, from someone that would know.

It's what Nix and Gailey are stuck with, and explains a lot about why bigger name coaches and GMs wouldn't sign here. Maybe they were told they wouldn't always have final say in personnel matters. And explains we didn't go after some players in FA, and didn't make a big enough offer to Clabo. And ten dozen other questionable moves by the front office in the last decade or so.

I'm not even going to criticize Nix on this one. I don't think he did it. And I think it's possible if not likely he signed Buster Davis knowing that he was going to lose Evans, and not because he wanted to trade Evans.

If Easley stays healthy AND can get deep on starting NFL CBs and Safeties in real games AND can make plays so teams have to worry about the Bills going downfield, this will work out well. Those are a lot of ifs.

Interesting reaction KFBD. I'm curious if you'll still think this way in a couple days after the shock wears off. I like Lee and will miss him, but this has more hallmarks of a football move than a non-football move. Lee's salary is chickenfeed right now. I read that we should have already paid $1.5 mil roster bonus for this year.

link: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/3/29/2077578/lee-evans-dwan-edwards-roster-bonuses

With his relatively low salary for a starting WR not the primary driver it looks more like a move to give more spots & playing time to the younger players. Lee hasn't meshed well with Fitz nor with Gailey's offense. The last two years he's averaged 550yards and under 5 TDs per season. Pretty crummy overall stats. He's not valueless by any stretch, but he hasn't been good either.

We gain a roster spot and we gain playing time for a WR that should fit better with our O. That's what we gained. We also got value for a 30 year old speed WR who will lose a step in a year or two. Next year he might have NO value...