Round 4 (Pick 100): DB Da'Norris Searcy - North Carolina

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me, or do most scouting reports on 90% of these guys COMPLETELY contradict on another?

If one says good instincts, another says not instinctive. One tough run stopper the next says not a good run stopper. One says good speed, another says under average speed. One says good ball skills, the next says poor hands.

The scouting report on NFL.com says he's a good run stuffer. Then 2 sentences later says he'll never be a good run stuffer.

DA'NORRIS SEARCY North Carolina 5-10½ 223 4.57 3-4

Two-year starter with five interceptions. "He's a violent and reliable tackler," one scout said. "When he tackles you, you go down. He runs the back end of that defense. Pretty impressive. Extremely, extremely physical. You see him fill with a fierceness. On the back end, if there will be a catch made in front of him, you know it will be stopped right there." Hails from Decatur, Ga. "Yeah, he is a good player, but he doesn't run fast," another scout said. "It's hard to play in this league, and it's especially hard to play Cover 2, if you don't have range. And he doesn't run fast enough. The numbers just scare me."

Ourlad's take: Makes plays as a safety and a punt returner. Good football intelligence and athletic ability.

Long arms for a safety. Excellent in run support. A tough and aggressive hitter. Loves the contact. Put up 225 27 times at the combine.

27 reps on the bench press at the combine this year...wow! I'd love to see us use this kid on some safety/CB blitzes

OK, the Bills are back at it with the sleeper picks. Cooney's NFL Draft Scout has this to say:

Underrated: SS Da'Norris Searcy, North Carolina: Searcy might've been overlooked because of more-hyped teammates, but he led North Carolina in passes broken up (nine) and interceptions (four) despite the fact he was suspended for the first three games. Searcy didn't get the playmaking opportunities at strong safety that others had, yet proved his instincts and open-field tackling skills were NFL-caliber throughout his career and at the Senior Bowl. Searcy could be an immense value if allowed to slip into the second half of the draft. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Whitner can't cover a TE with a blanket. Not that he doesn't try, he's just out-moosed. This kid has 20 pounds on Whitner and it must be beef not marble judging by his combine times and some QB sacks.

If he's a mean mutha like Leonard Smith was he's a good pick - even though I hate drafting more 2ndary but whatcha gonna do

All too many posters who allegedly are fans of the Bills amaze me with their negativity.

We have just drafted a hard hitting leader who may finally give us a safety who can cover tight ends! How many middle of the road tight ends have caught third down passes and easily gained first downs because Bills players couldn't cover?

This draft continues to impress and we are getting a good picture of the leaders with motors that Nix and Gailey

Go Bills!!!

All too many posters who allegedly are fans of the Bills amaze me with their negativity.

We have just drafted a hard hitting leader who may finally give us a safety who can cover tight ends! How many middle of the road tight ends have caught third down passes and easily gained first downs because Bills players couldn't cover?

This draft continues to impress and we are getting a good picture of the leaders with motors that Nix and Gailey

Go Bills!!!

YES!!

OK, the Bills are back at it with the sleeper picks. Cooney's NFL Draft Scout has this to say:

Underrated: SS Da'Norris Searcy, North Carolina: Searcy might've been overlooked because of more-hyped teammates, but he led North Carolina in passes broken up (nine) and interceptions (four) despite the fact he was suspended for the first three games. Searcy didn't get the playmaking opportunities at strong safety that others had, yet proved his instincts and open-field tackling skills were NFL-caliber throughout his career and at the Senior Bowl. Searcy could be an immense value if allowed to slip into the second half of the draft. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Whitner can't cover a TE with a blanket. Not that he doesn't try, he's just out-moosed. This kid has 20 pounds on Whitner and it must be beef not marble judging by his combine times and some QB sacks.

If he's a mean mutha like Leonard Smith was he's a good pick - even though I hate drafting more 2ndary but whatcha gonna do

Is he quick/does he have range. Everyone seems to disagree on this. Anyone know what his combine 40 time was?

Searcy on GR: He can play SS and expects to contribute on special teams and he also can return punts. Was cleared of allegations relating to academics, but the relevant professor was overseas at time of investigation, so it took time and he missed three games. Was a leader at UNC but knows that he must establish himself as leader in NFL. "Loved" coming into the box to stop the run; played LB in high school.

Overall, the kid had a really positive attitude.

Is he quick/does he have range. Everyone seems to disagree on this. Anyone know what his combine 40 time was?

40 Yard Dash4.56 Time

Bench Press 27.0 Reps

Vertical Jump33.0 Height

Broad Jump120.0 Distance

3 Cone Drill6.87 Time

20 Yard Shuttle4.09 Time

60 Yard Shuttle11.18 Time

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/danorris-searcy?id=2495339

Pretty decent time for a scout to knock his straight line timed speed.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Searcy on GR: He can play SS and expects to contribute on special teams and he also can return punts. Was cleared of allegations relating to academics, but the relevant professor was overseas at time of investigation, so it took time and he missed three games. Was a leader at UNC but knows that he must establish himself as leader in NFL. "Loved" coming into the box to stop the run; played LB in high school.

Overall, the kid had a really positive attitude.

Since the Bills have no run defense - he'll get plenty of opportunity to to this.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/danorris-searcy?id=2495339

Pretty decent time for a scout to knock his straight line timed speed.

Speed was a concern on film. Scouts comment might be reflecting that. Even searcy acknowledged he would have to run fast at the combine. I like the pick though. I think getting a strong slot corner early and now a SS should help in the run game, and passing in the center of the field - two huge issues.

The draft tracker on nfl.com does not give him any props at all. Anybody have any constructive news on this guy?

The Bills like him.

I thought it was a bit of a reach. He apparently is a safety who has decent ball skills, but is relatively weak against the run. It looks like the Bills need some insurance for when Whitner leaves. This is the first pick the Bills have made this year that I don't really like at all. Although I must say that I don't have first hand info on the guy, but the draft experts who have seen him are not too keen on him.

Well, I'm going to go burn my Whitner jersey now.

Keep the jersey and swap out the name…Joe Cribbs…Robert James...

They're getting guys they think fit what they want.

That said, I still would have rather gone another way.

I want Demarcus Love next or an OT tackle prospect that might slide, such as Hairston.

More rooster Blockers?

According to CBS sports, Searcy "Demonstrated the agility to stick with tight ends and even cover slot receivers in a pinch while at the Senior Bowl."

I love that fact! :) Last season, one of the posters here indicated that he'd attained a perfect record in fantasy football by starting whichever TE was facing the Bills that week. If this guy can help us get better at covering TEs, then he's a solid addition to this football team!

However, I am concerned about the fact that nothing has been done to address the offense, and specifically the hole at RT. Then again, the Bills were more than just one draft away from filling all their holes; and I strongly suspect the 2012 draft will be offense-oriented. (Not that this draft has been defense-oriented or anything . . .)

As long as he doesn't tackle with his backside like Whitner!

Tackling with the crown of your helmet like Leonard Smith will cost you 15 yards and a check with a bunch of zeros these days.

I want Demarcus Love next or an OT tackle prospect that might slide, such as Hairston.

:worthy: Nice call Kreskin!

Edited by Ralonzo

so the kid sounds like a real physical db so this should be nice when he comes up to play the run.

This from nfl.com

Searcy is an effective safety in coverage, but he is not aggressive enough in run support to contribute at the next level. He has enough range to be a center fielder and shows the ability make plays when the ball is in the air. He also has experience as a nickel back over the slot, but he lacks the hip fluidity to stick with NFL receivers in man coverage. He will never be a factor in run support as he shies away from contact and struggles to shed blocks.

This from nfl.com

Searcy is an effective safety in coverage, but he is not aggressive enough in run support to contribute at the next level. He has enough range to be a center fielder and shows the ability make plays when the ball is in the air. He also has experience as a nickel back over the slot, but he lacks the hip fluidity to stick with NFL receivers in man coverage. He will never be a factor in run support as he shies away from contact and struggles to shed blocks.

Yeah, in one sentence, it says he'll be tough against the run. And then right below that, it says he shies away from the run and won't contribute to run D. So, fuggin'.... which is it?

Edited by UConn James

This team needs to draft to fill holes, not stack talent at positions where we already have it. We have got to start keeping good players past their rookie contracts or it will be a never ending revolving door for talent. 2 DBs & now a RB, what's next, another WR? Come on Nix, how about a DE?

This team needs to draft to fill holes, not stack talent at positions where we already have it. We have got to start keeping good players past their rookie contracts or it will be a never ending revolving door for talent. 2 DBs & now a RB, what's next, another WR? Come on Nix, how about a DE?

I know its tough to see past the "DB Rage" after what Jauron did to us, but it's up to this new FO to sign the young DB talent when it comes time. That means seeing what they do when McKelvin, Byrd, Williams, and Searcy's contracts are up. That wont be for a couple years.

And as I just posted in another thread...

Carrington, Troup, and Dareus were all drafted early, and FA Edwards signed, to play next to our all-pro DL Williams.

Woods, Levitre, and FA Urbik were all early draft picks to address our OLine, and we got a steal with Hairston for OT, and they drafted Wang last year for depth.

Batten, Moats, Coleman, and now Sheppard were all drafted and FA Merriman was picked up to play with Poz.

That's 4 at DL, 4-5 at OL, and 5 at LB.

How is that NOT addressing the lines and Front 7?

edit: added Edwards, thanks for the reminder MRW!!

I live in Dallas and was listening to the Ticket/1310 today when Searcy was picked. The host, Norm Hitzges, was bummed. Said the Cowboys had their eyes on him and thought he would be their pick in round 4. Norm has had an annual draft show for at least the last 25 years and knows his stuff. Thought Searcy had a chance to start for Dallas.

A little while later Norm said Buffalo was a candidate for best draft. In years past he has been very critical of Buffalo.

This is the best I have felt about the draft and Bills direction in years.

Edited by vizslafan

Who was the second rated SS in the 2006 draft?

And we got him at pick #100 this time!! See the FO is actually getting better under Nix.

Didnt get cute and made the right pick at #3. Loaded up the defense the rest of the way. Grabbed an OT prospect. Smart pickin', Buddy!!