Anyone else getting turned off by the lockout?

I didnt think this would happen for me because I love football so much but the longer this lockout has gone on, the more the NFL just doesnt matter to me.

Fighting over money? I mean i understand both sides have to protect their intrests but they are gonna lose what drives that money if they dont work something out and soon.

Am I alone here?

I didnt think this would happen for me because I love football so much but the longer this lockout has gone on, the more the NFL just doesnt matter to me.

Fighting over money? I mean i understand both sides have to protect their intrests but they are gonna lose what drives that money if they dont work something out and soon.

Am I alone here?

It sucks that there has been no F/A to date this offseason, but at least we had the draft to look forward to. It is really going to suck when the draft ends and then NOTHING. No OTA's, no signings, no trades, etc...

I expect this to drag on well into summer and as the weeks go by, the frustration level of the fans will continue to rise.

I'll get annoyed if we start missing games. If we're playing football when we're supposed to, I'll forget about how ugly the spring was. If we miss games, I'll get pissed. But for now - it's not like we were going to be big UFA players anyway. Watch the Sabres' playoff run and wait for the leaves to turn before investing too much energy in the NFL's mess.

heck no i like not knowing when we might be able to sign some free agents to shore up a vastly undermanned defense that was the achilles heel all season

yes i enjoy pampered millionaires and pompous billionaires fighting over tiny percentage points that represent more money than every visitor in the history of this site will collectively earn in their entire lifetimes

no i bask in the joy of not knowing when or even if my tied for first favorite spectator sport will ever start their season

i think its awesome that the bills have collected the greatest combined cache of coaching and talent evaluators we have probably ever seen in buffalo just so they can sit and wait with the rest of us and lose ground on the tremendous progress we already saw them make over the coarse of last season, their first together as a staff, and now this season with the legendary stache helping to fix the defense

im so happy im whistling zip-a-dee doo-dah out my butthole

Not really; it's April. Ask me again if there's still a lockout in August.

:thumbsup:

I am a big Celtics and Sabres fan. Both of those teams start, what I am hoping, are extended playoff runs that could go all the way to the end of May...that will keep me entertained for now...if July rolls around, and we are still talking about a lockout, then I will be "turned off".

In the past, these situations have po'd me...now, I only pay the whole thing a minimal amount of attention...nothing we can do, and I don't really have a strong opinion either way. I just hope we have NFL football come early September, however they get it done. I think they will...all the details aren't going to matter much when it is all settled.

Obviously, as a Buffalo Bills fan, I have concerns about how the whole thing will affect the franchise, but that is/was inevitable all along.

Edited by Buftex

It definitely is annoying me a bit right now and I do feel a little of my NFL love slipping away.

However like most people said in this thread it won't really start to be evident unless this continues into late August.

In Buffalo, the NFL is a 12 month-long season. We eat and breathe football all year long. Once the regular season ends, we're looking forward to free-agency (not the post-season, I'm afraid). Then we look forward to the draft, then the OTAs, then camp. It's always football time in Buffalo and every poster in this forum proves it. Therefore, we are losing out. I was looking forward to our (non)splash in FA. This is NOT a strange thread. That said, I don't people living in other cities feel this way.

In Buffalo, the NFL is a 12 month-long season. We eat and breathe football all year long. Once the regular season ends, we're looking forward to free-agency (not the post-season, I'm afraid). Then we look forward to the draft, then the OTAs, then camp. It's always football time in Buffalo and every poster in this forum proves it. Therefore, we are losing out. I was looking forward to our (non)splash in FA. This is NOT a strange thread. That said, I don't people living in other cities feel this way.

The draft is coming. The Bills don't make big FA moves (nap time for Nix) and OTAs aren't for public consumption.

What exactly have you missed so far?

i think thats a bold generalization for both our fanbase, and the rest of the nfl. i think every team has hardcore fans out there.

in the end, i think the indifference right now is similar to how i start to feel in mid june. nothing big going on, nothing has been for awhile, and nothing really will until camp starts and first rounders sign. as soon as things start up again, i doubt most will even think about the lockout.

Am I alone here?

Nothing about the NFL has changed where I sit. You should take advantage of the situation and treat it as an educational tool. The NFL is not unlike any other multi-billion dollar enterprise. In that light, I say it is good to be reminded as a fan what our part truly is in the grand scheme of things. It seems that we vote with how we spend our money collectively. Every second of the day we have a perpetual election of what we truly value as a whole. The NFL clearly believes as a whole that the fans will keep them in office so to speak. Unfortunately when it comes to the Bills I do not use rational judgement and will enjoy my tickets when football does in fact resume. Say what you will, but when the games are on you'll be watching this s*** like the rest of us.

These are times I am glad I do not put all my eggs in one basket as a sports fan.

There are some NFL fans out there that act like this league is the end all that be all, and MUST put down other sports to prop up a league that really does not need it.

They make the most cash, so some NFL fans worship what guys like Colin Cowherd say, follow like sheep, and the NFL walks on water.

I love the NFL, I do, but so glad I love the NHL, NBA, and other sports almost as much.

Plenty else to do then read 40,000 mocks in the sports world, no matter what E$PN tries to tell me.

Am I alone here?

What would you be missing right now if there was not a lockout? If this drags in to June/July then there are concerns?

Unfortunately football is the one sport I really follow closely. I do watch baseball and basketball and hockey but it just isn't the same for me. The part that is especially annoying is the Bills are a team that could really benefit from Free Agency which we all know won't be happening. That makes the draft even more important to the Bills (as well as any team drafting high). Also I can not tell you how excited I am to see the new uni's this team is going to unveil (like many others here) and it is likely they won't even plan a Fan Friday until there is a new CBA. All in all anything that COULD be fun about this offseason, won't be. If this thing gets to the point where training camps are effected, we will start to see people become more annoyed. Hopefully you are fans of good baseball teams because by the end of summer you might have much going for you :thumbdown:

On the plus side, there is a summer full of warm weather ahead so let's not worry about it until we have to. Buffalo Bills mentality :devil:

The draft is coming. The Bills don't make big FA moves (nap time for Nix) and OTAs aren't for public consumption.

What exactly have you missed so far?

Apparently he's missed a great late season charge by the Sabres.

I guess i should clarify a bit. I'm annoyed because all this time our players our locked out we cant learn the playbook, practice, and overall just get better. That hurts our incoming rookies and second year players especially. Frankly I'm worried that any progress that was made last season is slipping away the longer this drags out. To me it looks like two spoiled kids fighting over a piece of pie.

Fitz should be able to practice with his receivers but can't

Dave Wandstadt should be able to teach the LBs and get his stamp on the defense but cant

Chan could be working with spiller but cant

Our team could be getting better but cant. Thats frustrating and annoying to me and is turning me off to the league a bit

Technically, he can, but not in a team environment. He just has to organize it himself (which a team leader should do). You are correct on the other aspects that are hurting the team, namely the interaction between the coaches and players. When you have a team that is bad, but showed some potential last year, you want as much time as possible to build on any successes and work on the failures.

Get 'er done.

I guess i should clarify a bit. I'm annoyed because all this time our players our locked out we cant learn the playbook, practice, and overall just get better. That hurts our incoming rookies and second year players especially. Frankly I'm worried that any progress that was made last season is slipping away the longer this drags out. To me it looks like two spoiled kids fighting over a piece of pie.

Dave Wandstadt should be able to teach the LBs and get his stamp on the defense but cant

Chan could be working with spiller but cant

Our team could be getting better but cant. Thats frustrating and annoying to me and is turning me off to the league a bit

Fitz knows the playbook. He can practice with any receivers he wants to, at any time.

Chan couldn't work with Spiller last year either. No delta.

Am I alone here?

I guess you don't love football as much as you thought you did. :thumbdown:

I am usually pretty 'turned off' at this point anyways so its tough to gauge. The draft will be a nice test, because I usually watch a good chunk of the draft coverage.

But then I turn myself off again until I realize that Training Camp is starting in a couple days.

Im not too angry about the lockout I guess. The Sabres are occupying about 95% of my sports attention. Cleveland Indians winning 8 in a row is taking up the other 5%

I guess if its the 1st or second week of september and Im not buying tailgate supplies Ill be a bit P-O'd

Edited by May Day 10

I thought I'd be a lot more excited with having the third pick in the draft. I was really into for a few months, but now I'm just sick of it......If free agency had started when it was supposed to then we'd be getting back into the draft now after that excitement, but all draft all the time for months on end is driving me crazy.

I think the lockout will drive away some fair weathered fans, but the majority will be salivating like pavlov's dog waiting for the season to get going. I hate it and consider both groups to be culpable, but hell, nobody is making tough decisions or compromising these days. Except congress of course! I am so glad they have worked so hard to finally pass a budget that doesn't spend more than it brings in.......wait a minute......oh, sorry, that was my wife reining in our budget. Whew, thank God, I was heading outside to watch pigs fly.

The fans need to let owners like Jerry Jones , Daniel Snyder & all those other jerks that voted for the last CBA that they aren't really who's in charge . But until it is a collective effort by all of the fans the game of football as we know it is going to turn into baseball , where just a few teams have the money to compete and to hell with the teams like our Bills .

That's what's driving this whole thing greed on both sides , the fans need to make them realize what real life is all about what it's like to work a real job for real money not this fairey tale they live in . For God sake it's a game & they make millions !! REALITY CHECK PLEASE !!

Multi Millionaires :devil: arguing with millionaires :bag: over who's not making enough money :cry: !! That is what this CBA thing is mostly all about right ??

I wish we the fans could have them work our jobs for a while , owners as well as players. Not just a day or 2, but like a couple of months or more so they could realize just how great it is to be PLAYING A GAME FOR A LIVING & MAKING MILLIONS WHILE DOING IT !!

Sure it's hard work to be the best & there is a lot of risk with what they do , but COME ON MAN !! :doh:

I think they have all lost sight of where they came from & where they could be & what they could be doing . :wallbash:

I hope some common sense is interjected into this thing pretty soon cause i don't know about you all but i'm getting tired of it :sick: & after the draft is done it will be all arguing all the time , no football stuff what so ever , and that sucks !!!

Am I alone here?

don't care, wake me up when it's over.

The fans need to let owners like Jerry Jones , Daniel Snyder & all those other jerks that voted for the last CBA that they aren't really who's in charge . But until it is a collective effort by all of the fans the game of football as we know it is going to turn into baseball , where just a few teams have the money to compete and to hell with the teams like our Bills .

That's what's driving this whole thing greed on both sides , the fans need to make them realize what real life is all about what it's like to work a real job for real money not this fairey tale they live in . For God sake it's a game & they make millions !! REALITY CHECK PLEASE !!

Why does your anger seem to be aimed only at the owners?

The players are just as greedy.

don't forget the 'too big to fail' security. Were the NFL to crash, there would certainly be a bailout. It's too big too fail.

I don't want it to fail completely, but I am hoping for a "black friday" type market correction.

In my opinion that would be well worth missing a season for.

If I conditioned my love of football on the players and owners being respectable, forthright, generous people who put the fans first and themselves second, I would have given up on the NFL years and years ago. But I didn't expect anything different (we knew this was coming for at least three years, after all) and I'm not losing any illusions.

To some extent, the NFL should probably get credit for arranging the labor deal to sacrifice the offseason first, and the games second. The NHL lockout began after a completed offseason, giving fans trades, the draft, and free agency then snatching away the season itself. The MLB strike *interrupted* a season already in progress. For the moment, this is the most painless work stoppage in recent sports memory; when they actually cost us games, we can worry about that then.