David Nelson

RyanC883

I don't know why we always miss in the first round, but we certinally find talent others miss. Steve Johnson (7th round) and David Nelson (undrafted and w/ 3TD's in last 3 games). These guys could be a great 1-2 WR combo for years to come. I'm not sure how or if Lee Evans fits in anymore. There is work to be done in other places for sure, but these guys look great.

Edited by RyanC883

The guy could barely, and often didn't, start in college. He never put up any numbers on a powerhouse offensive team (granted, he took a back seat to good players like Percy Harvin and others), catching 46 total passes in four years (4-5-12-25). So it's no surprise that he didnt get drafted, and a huge surprise he is so good. The guy is a gamer and we're lucky to have him. He's becoming extremely dependable.

I don't know why we always miss in the first round, but we certinally find talent others miss. Steve Johnson (7th round) and David Nelson (undrafted and w/ 3TD's in last 3 games). These guys could be a great 1-2 WR combo for years to come. I'm not sure how or if Lee Evans fits in anymore. There is work to be done in other places for sure, but these guys look great.

Nelson scored the crucial TD in the Alabama game to win the National Championship last year. I called him to be a success when the free agents were first signed. He made a great choice by signing with the Bills.

Oh No !!!! We have to keep Lee Evans !!!!! He's a god in Bills country !!!!! We would lose way to much, besides we would be losing a great veteran presence and all that production !!!!!! Just ask any true Bills fan they'll tell you just how stupid an idea it is to trade him for another pick in the draft to get a younger talent in to fill other wholes on the team . YAH RIGHT !!!!! :wallbash:

The guy could barely, and often didn't, start in college. He never put up any numbers on a powerhouse offensive team (granted, he took a back seat to good players like Percy Harvin and others), catching 46 total passes in four years (4-5-12-25). So it's no surprise that he didnt get drafted, and a huge surprise he is so good. The guy is a gamer and we're lucky to have him. He's becoming extremely dependable.

The offense Florida ran with Urban Meyer, Tebow, Harvin and company didn't exactly play to his strengths. They use smaller guys who can stretch the field horizontally more so than the traditional bigger, vertical wide-out David is.

Apparently, Tebow and Nelson roomed together for a while in College. Around here, they say Nelson was one of Tebow's favorite WRs. Obviously he didn't throw the ball to him all that often, but supposedly he thought he was one of the most reliable targets he had if he was in trouble. I'm just repeating the local take on him from all of the Florida fans here. (And of course, Tebow played HS ball in St Augustine.)

Apparently, Tebow and Nelson roomed together for a while in College. Around here, they say Nelson was one of Tebow's favorite WRs. Obviously he didn't throw the ball to him all that often, but supposedly he thought he was one of the most reliable targets he had if he was in trouble.

Any receiver who is smart, runs good routes, and catches anything thrown his way will quickly become a favorite of any QB.

Throw in the fact that he's 6'5", and you couldn't ask for a better red-zone target.

Apparently, Tebow and Nelson roomed together for a while in College. Around here, they say Nelson was one of Tebow's favorite WRs. Obviously he didn't throw the ball to him all that often, but supposedly he thought he was one of the most reliable targets he had if he was in trouble. I'm just repeating the local take on him from all of the Florida fans here. (And of course, Tebow played HS ball in St Augustine.)

Good post game interview with him on bills.com about his college days. He knew he wasn't producing and got down on himself and had to hold it together and think of it in terms of team wins, not individual success, and he taught himself to keep plugging even though nothing was happening for him personally. Seems like a great kid, you see a little of Tebow influence in the way he talks. It's really really easy to root for a lot of players on this team. If we could get a little infusion of prime talent, we have some interesting cogs.

What is amazing to me is how well we do with late round picks and undrafted free agents.

But I am glad we do

The basic common wisdom is the Head Pro Scout probably as more say in the later rounds (and signing UDFAs) than he does in the early rounds. If that is true, is Modrak as bad as many here say?

Now, with the Bills it is hard to know who makes the calls and who pushed for what player, so the common wisdom may not hold true in this case.

He had a choice between playing for the Bills or the Patriots. He chose Buffalo because he thought he had a better chance to make the Bills Roster. Lucky for us he made this decision.

So the Pats had their sights on him too? Glad he decided to come to Bflo instead..

Nelson scored the crucial TD in the Alabama game to win the National Championship last year. I called him to be a success when the free agents were first signed. He made a great choice by signing with the Bills.

I don't get this? Florida would never play Alabama in the national championship, and Alabama actually won the championship last year.

That said, I really like Nelson. I like his honesty and attitude, too.

I don't get this? Florida would never play Alabama in the national championship, and Alabama actually won the championship last year.

That said, I really like Nelson. I like his honesty and attitude, too.

His post wasn't really correct. Florida won the National Championship in 2008. They beat Alabama in the SEC Championship game that year that allowed them to play for the BCS title. It was in that game, late in the game against Oklahoma, that the junior Nelson caught the game winning TD, a four yarder from Tebow. Alabama won it all the following year, last year.

His post wasn't really correct. Florida won the National Championship in 2008. They beat Alabama in the SEC Championship game that year that allowed them to play for the BCS title. It was in that game, late in the game against Oklahoma, that the junior Nelson caught the game winning TD, a four yarder from Tebow. Alabama won it all the following year, last year.

Now that makes sense. Thanks!

Nelson's been a pleasant surprise. He works really hard. Kudos to him and to the Bills for signing him

That was a textbook catch he made for the TD. Trailing hand behind the front tip of the ball to control the fastball that it was, the whole bit. Not a lot of guys make that catch. That thing was really pitched in there hard. I think that was Fitz was thinking.. drill it in there because no LB is going to catch it///. Only my guy has the hands to get that ball.

Good post game interview with him on bills.com about his college days. He knew he wasn't producing and got down on himself and had to hold it together and think of it in terms of team wins, not individual success, and he taught himself to keep plugging even though nothing was happening for him personally. Seems like a great kid, you see a little of Tebow influence in the way he talks. It's really really easy to root for a lot of players on this team. If we could get a little infusion of prime talent, we have some interesting cogs.

Its a great interview and a testament to how this team has changed that David Nelson and Arthur Moats are featured on the media interviews. They're both well spoken and big hits by the FO. Happy to see these guys in Bills uniforms for a LONG time!!

I've been following Nelson pretty closely ever since the home opener. I flew up to Bflo from TX on the same plane as his fiancee's family, and by coincidence, ran into them again (along with the fiancee) at the gate at the Ralph. Of course, Nelson was pretty unknown then. His fiancee's family told me all about his Florida days, good Christian boy, hard worker, etc. Interestingly, his fiancee is a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader so she rarely gets to watch his games.

Has Nelson dropped anything yet? Maybe one ball?

I've been following Nelson pretty closely ever since the home opener. I flew up to Bflo from TX on the same plane as his fiancee's family, and by coincidence, ran into them again (along with the fiancee) at the gate at the Ralph. Of course, Nelson was pretty unknown then. His fiancee's family told me all about his Florida days, good Christian boy, hard worker, etc. Interestingly, his fiancee is a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader so she rarely gets to watch his games.

Has Nelson dropped anything yet? Maybe one ball?

"good Christian boy, hard worker, his fiancee is a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader, Has Nelson dropped anything yet?"

It just gets better and better, I'm starting to get jealous of this kid.

The basic common wisdom is the Head Pro Scout probably as more say in the later rounds (and signing UDFAs) than he does in the early rounds. If that is true, is Modrak as bad as many here say?

Now, with the Bills it is hard to know who makes the calls and who pushed for what player, so the common wisdom may not hold true in this case.

Read the quote from Ralph Wilson himself where he admits the drafts have been terrible. That's a huge admission! Maybe he will finally stay out if the draft room and let Buddy do his job?

PTR

Read the quote from Ralph Wilson himself where he admits the drafts have been terrible. That's a huge admission! Maybe he will finally stay out if the draft room and let Buddy do his job?

PTR

Ralph said the drafting was bad, but never owned up to being the guy that influences the early picks.

He didn't own up because he's not the one making the picks.

That's back to my original point. Promo seems to assume Ralph plays a major role in the early draft picks. Many blame Modrak, although common wisdom would lead us to believe he is more responsible for the later picks (which have been quite good). Some others blame every person in the front office. They blame the GM and when he leaves, they blame the HC that was there, and then they blame Overdorf and Littman...etc.

We will probably really never know how this FO makes its draft selections. And I'm not sure we have any right to know. It just helps us assign blame and credit.

That's back to my original point. Promo seems to assume Ralph plays a major role in the early draft picks. Many blame Modrak, although common wisdom would lead us to believe he is more responsible for the later picks (which have been quite good). Some others blame every person in the front office. They blame the GM and when he leaves, they blame the HC that was there, and then they blame Overdorf and Littman...etc.

We will probably really never know how this FO makes its draft selections. And I'm not sure we have any right to know. It just helps us assign blame and credit.

It's all guess work as to who actually made some of these bonehead picks. But it is known that Ralph has on occasion stuck his nose into the draft. RB Dwayne Wright was the last one people know for sure. Still I think it's a breakthrough moment knowing Ralph thinks the same way we do about the drafts. I am hoping he will stand back and let his football guys work without distraction.

PTR

Guys that have a knack for getting open have LONG careers in the NFL. Is it me or does he seem like a typical Patriots "no-name"?

I totally agree. Bellicheat seems to prefer the good atheletes that are great at execution over the great athletes that are merely good at execution. Not sure why Nelson was not used more in colege FB be he is everything James hardy was not. I wonder if they have been working on the fade jump balls in th red zone. At 6'5" its worth a shot eh?

Ok, let's all put down the Kool-Aid and get real here. Who exactly are all these late-round or undrafted gems everyone is talking about? Besides our WRs, whose production is likely more of a reflection of Fitz and Chan, who are they? Maybe they are slipping my mind now. I'm serious. Who on defense, for example, that was late-round or undrafted, is ripping it up? The only one I can think about is Moats, but I would exactly call him very late round.

Ok, let's all put down the Kool-Aid and get real here. Who exactly are all these late-round or undrafted gems everyone is talking about? Besides our WRs, whose production is likely more of a reflection of Fitz and Chan, who are they? Maybe they are slipping my mind now. I'm serious. Who on defense, for example, that was late-round or undrafted, is ripping it up? The only one I can think about is Moats, but I would exactly call him very late round.

Williams was a 5th round pick.