Lee Evans locked up long-term

silvermike

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6710

No word on years or dollars, but it's "multi-year"

UPDATE:

4 years, $37M, $18M in guarantees. He'll be a Bill through the 2012 season, meaning we'll have a 32-year-old WR on our hands when we decide if we want to keep him around even longer.

Look for the Bills to draft a WR in the first round of the 2011 draft.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills' most notable free agents after the season are Fred Jackson and Jabari Greer. I love those guys, but I think we could overcome their loss.

Actually I think they'll turn to Trent's contract after the season ends. I know he has years remaining but there's ample precedent for re-doing the rookie contract of a starting QB on the rise.

The Bills' most notable free agents after the season are Fred Jackson and Jabari Greer. I love those guys, but I think we could overcome their loss.

I respectfully disagree about Jackson; Greer maybe but certainly not Fred. Ask Thurman about Davis one of these days if you ever get a chance.

BILLS EXTEND EVANS

Posted by Mike Florio on October 2, 2008, 5:43 p.m.

The 4-0 Buffalo Bills have taken steps to ensure that one of their key pieces will be around for a while.

Per Adam Schefter of NFL Network, the Bills have signed receiver Lee Evans to a four-year, $37.5 million extension.

The deal includes $18.25 million in guaranteed money, and he will earn $27 million over the first three years of the deal.

The $9 million average for three seasons puts him in the upper range of the receiver pay grade. Larry Fitzgerald of the Cardinals leads the way with his four-year, $40 million deal.

AWESOME!!! Now lets resign Greer!!

Am I the only one that would rather retain Greer than McGee? I think McGee will demand more on the open market for two reasons: 1. Bigger name. 2. Return ability. I think Greer is a very important piece of this team!

BUT enough of that time to celebrate the EVANS SIGNING!!!!

Contract Specifics.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/02/bills-exte...ct-of-wr-evans/

"One of the top prospective free agents from the class of 2009 is off the market.

The Buffalo Bills signed wide receiver Lee Evans to a four-year, $37.25 million extension that includes $18.25 million worth of guarantees. He will make $27 million over the first three years of the deal, including this year. Evans now is under contract through 2012."

Not sure how that stacks up with other players but i think he is worth it.

Contract Specifics.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/02/bills-exte...ct-of-wr-evans/

"One of the top prospective free agents from the class of 2009 is off the market.

The Buffalo Bills signed wide receiver Lee Evans to a four-year, $37.25 million extension that includes $18.25 million worth of guarantees. He will make $27 million over the first three years of the deal, including this year. Evans now is under contract through 2012."

Not sure how that stacks up with other players but i think he is worth it.

puts him right below larry fitzgerald's 4 year 40 mil deal

I would disagree. Peters we can replace. Jackson and Greer actually help us win.

PTR

This is good news. I can now buy that Evans jersey I have been holding off on the last few weeks...

I wish that Bills fans would give this guy more credit, he doesn't seem to get the respect he is due IMO.

The guy can grab catches way out of range (probably due to having JP for 3 years!!!) and once he gets used to Trents ability to put it in the basket, we are good to go !!!

Thanks for signing with us Lee!!!

B.

BILLS EXTEND EVANS

Posted by Mike Florio on October 2, 2008, 5:43 p.m.

The 4-0 Buffalo Bills have taken steps to ensure that one of their key pieces will be around for a while.

Per Adam Schefter of NFL Network, the Bills have signed receiver Lee Evans to a four-year, $37.5 million extension.

The deal includes $18.25 million in guaranteed money, and he will earn $27 million over the first three years of the deal.

The $9 million average for three seasons puts him in the upper range of the receiver pay grade. Larry Fitzgerald of the Cardinals leads the way with his four-year, $40 million deal.

They are somewhat comparable through 5 years:

Fitz's stats:

354 catches for 4,959 yards and 36 tds.

Evans' stats:

247 catches for 4,059 yards and 30tds.

Now consider this:

Cards pass attempts rank the last 5 seasons:

5th 2008, 2nd 2007, 7th 2006, 1st 2005, and 13th 2004.

Now the Bills' rank:

15th in 2008, 30th in 2007, 31st in 2006, 26th in 2005, and 27th in 2004.

So, you can see these are two entirely offenses. Add to that, Fitz plays next to that man beast in Boldin and Evans has played with Josh Reed(no knock against him, but he is what he is) and Peerless Price.

Either way, Evans is a leader on this team and this shows the rest of the team they will take care of their players if they handled their business the right way. This will play big in the lockerroom. Let's jsut be thankful that we have a great guy who plays the game the right way and don't have a TO or Ocho Cino that put themselves before the team.