Rd 4, Pick 128: RB Ray Davis, Kentucky

Everybody complains about his age, but a lot of great RB’s were 24,25 year old rookies (namely Bo Jackson and Billy Sims).

Davis will probably be here for only his rookie contract, so just look at it like the Bills will have him for ages 25-28 and probably draft his replacement, if all works out, when his contract is up.

Of course, like I said, if it all works out,

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The more I see and read about Davis the more stoked I am to have him on this team.    He has enough speed to break big runs, he has really good vision, his feet and quickness are exceptional is able to make great cuts and the way he runs has elements of Isiah Pacheco in that he relishes contact and is able to effectively break tackles and fall forward.   The guy is 5’9 nearly 220 lbs, he’s going to be very tough to bring down on a 1 v 1 if you have that got-to-have 1 yard run.

Plus he’s an excellent receiver from the backfield and instantly becomes the best blocking RB on the roster.   His addition instantly upgrades the offense and shows the continued commitment that Brady wants.

He’s going to get a lot of playing time, I suspect early on he will be the #2 back and I could actually see him getting as many carries and touches as Cook by the end of the season.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

Who’s our #1 wr this year??

NFL playbooks have X, Y, and Z receivers.   

Who decides on who is #1?   Typically the guy with the most targets and/or catches.   That, and the media.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Magox said:

The more I see and read about Davis the more stoked I am to have him on this team.    He has enough speed to break big runs, he has really good vision, his feet and quickness are exceptional is able to make great cuts and the way he runs has elements of Isiah Pacheco in that he relishes contact and is able to effectively break tackles and fall forward.   The guy is 5’9 nearly 220 lbs, he’s going to be very tough to bring down on a 1 v 1 if you have that got-to-have 1 yard run.

Plus he’s an excellent receiver from the backfield and instantly becomes the best blocking RB on the roster.   His addition instantly upgrades the offense and shows the continued commitment that Brady wants.

He’s going to get a lot of playing time, I suspect early on he will be the #2 back and I could actually see him getting as many carries and touches as Cook by the end of the season.

If everything works out he will be able to take over for Cook when his contract is up…smart roster management…👍

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Is it me or does Ray Davis’ running style remind you of Thurman?

I was just rushing to post. I felt

like I was watching the Thurman bills. Killing it on the deep wheel to

the sideline , screeens everywhere, and his running style. 

hes gonna be the best pick of this draft

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

I think receiver from the backfield is a big thing they were looking for.  I think Brady's offense is going to be that every skill position on the field is going to be a potential target for Josh to spread the ball around vs just WRs (also I think why they don't seem to be as worried about the "true #1 WR" as much since everyone will be an option in some different way)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I think receiver from the backfield is a big thing they were looking for.  I think Brady's offense is going to be that every skill position on the field is going to be a potential target for Josh to spread the ball around vs just WRs (also I think why they don't seem to be as worried about the "true #1 WR" as much since everyone will be an option in some different way)

Completely agree. 

Bills clearly don’t want to have to take away an element of the Offense when they rotate RB2 in for Cook, and with Ray Davis they don’t have to change it one bit. 

Davis isn’t running outside WR routes like Cook can, but he is one of the better receiving backs in this draft. 

• Like (+1) 5

17 hours ago, MJS said:

Who said 40 times aren't relevant? They are. They just aren't everything.

40 times can be greatly influenced simply by not being a good starter from the blocks.

I posted up thread about Coleman perhaps being the worst starter out of the blocks I have ever seen for a WR and instead of driving forward out of the blocks to gain speed and accelerate, he literally stands straight up which causes him to hitch and slow down and then he has to re-accelerate again.

Compare him to Worthy and you'll see what I mean. Worthy stays low coming out and accelerates thru to a standing up position. Coleman stands straight up almost which slows him down.

It's not natural for a WR to get down in a sprinter stance coming off the line. It's natural for a player that has run track like Worthy and likely done it hundreds or thousands of times over and over again. 

Coleman lost .2 seconds just on his bad start and it reminded me a lot of Josh Allen's 40...he did the same thing. But look at Allen running away from DBs in the open field...would anyone say he is slow?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

9 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

This guy could honestly turn out to be better than Cook. 5’8 220 built like a brick wall and has a nasty juke. Great value in the 4th. 

I think Cook is flashier has more talent and the higher ceiling, but this guy has that next gear necessary to be really good and seems like a very steady force, and I just would not discount the kind of drive a guy coming up from the kind of background like he has could have.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I'm not saying that Davis is going to take over for Cook. As far as I'm concerned Cook has earned starting as our focal point.

But Cook isn't a bell cow. Johnson was good in a pinch but there were a bunch of times down the stretch where Murray was the passing RB option and the result was pretty abysmal. David is worth a shot just to avoid that.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'm not saying that Davis is going to take over for Cook. As far as I'm concerned Cook has earned starting as our focal point.

But Cook isn't a bell cow. Johnson was good in a pinch but there were a bunch of times down the stretch where Murray was the passing RB option and the result was pretty abysmal. David is worth a shot just to avoid that.

Cook was 4th in the NFL in rushing and 5th in total yards from scrimmage. Confused why so many here seem to think he is just a whatever player...he is a major cog in this offense now.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, foreboding said:

Dang man, I'm watching Ray's highlights. His hips are so sudden, then fluid. He plays fast, is hard to tackle and has great hands! I think he us going to be great in our offense. We have a fast stepping little tank of a RB!!

Just wanted to add that he’s also a very good blocker 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Putin said:

Just wanted to add that he’s also a very good blocker 

A very underrated trait, especially on this team. This frees up a TE so he can run a route instead of staying in to block. Adds a lot to this kids value.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it makes a ton of sense to churn through late round RBs for 4 year rookie contracts and never pay any of them. In that case, his age really does not matter. The tread on the tire doesn’t matter. What does matter is that there is a maturity in his game and his body that make him plug and play and very cheap labor for the next 4 years. 

• Like (+1) 1