Pre-Draft Power Rankings from PFF plus where do you expect the Bills to be perceived after the draft

Chaos

Whatever you think about PFF, they do try to quantify things that are tough to quantify.  And whatever you think of power rankings, during the off-season, that is as good a way as any to see how the Bills are perceived  https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-nfl-teams-before-2024-nfl-draft.

At the present, PFF sees the Bills ranked 10th. 

I am not sure what people expect from any NFL draft.  Every team picks players. Every team is trying to improve.  A couple of teams drafting top QBs, may be looking to completely transform, their fortunes.  But if your team is drafting 28th, its reasonable to expect that around 27 teams are better positioned to improve than your team is. 

Is there any reason to expect the Bills to outperform other teams with similar or more draft capital? If so why? 

Separately, do you think most pundits/fans see the Bills has a top 10 before the draft, and will any the draft move anyone's opinion one way or the other?

10 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Whatever you think about PFF, they do try to quantify things that are tough to quantify.  And whatever you think of power rankings, during the off-season, that is as good a way as any to see how the Bills are perceived  https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-nfl-teams-before-2024-nfl-draft.

I am not sure what people expect from any NFL draft.  Every team picks players. Every team is trying to improve.  A couple of teams drafting top QBs, may be looking to completely transform, their fortunes.  But if your team is drafting 28th, its reasonable to expect that around 27 teams are better positioned to improve than your team is. 

Is there any reason to expect the Bills to outperform other teams with similar or more draft capital? If so why? 

Separately, do you think most pundits/fans see the Bills has a top 10 before the draft, and will any the draft move anyone's opinion one way or the other?

Josh Allen is worth probably 20 spots on his own.

• Like (+1) 2

I think they are underrated.  The loss of declining Poyer and Hyde is not as large as it's being made out to be, neither is the loss of Diggs, who was absent the 2nd half of the season, nor White, who we haven't really had for about a season at this point.  More noteworthy as positives are the "additions" of Milano coming back from injury as well as potentially Miller, and Kincaid having a year of experience.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

Vegas doesn’t lose as a general rule, therefore the only power rankings I see as useful are those with money on the line.

Bills are top 5, of course that’s Allen carrying a 10-15 roster, but Allen is a Buffalo Bill and is the difference.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

he loss of declining Poyer and Hyde is not as large as it's being made out to be, neither is the loss of Diggs,

Its not about the loss, its about the expectation that replacements will not be as any better. 

Just now, julian said:

Vegas doesn’t lose as a general rule, therefore the only power rankings I see as useful are those with money on the line.

Bills are top 5, of course that’s Allen carrying a 10-15 roster, but Allen is a Buffalo Bill and is the difference.

Where do you see the Bills top 5?

14 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Its not about the loss, its about the expectation that replacements will not be as any better. 

Where do you see the Bills top 5?

Bills are actually tied for 4th with Detroit at +1200 right now on bet365 just for one, they’ve been in that range all off season prior to Diggs being shipped and hasn’t moved since.

• Like (+1) 2

The Dolphins are overrated again. They lost 2/3s of their starting defense, the DC who was supposed to improve them and pieces on their offensive line. They are not a top 10 team. They will be at best at a 1 and done playoff team again.

Other than that I don't find anyone ranked above the Bills to be ridiculous. I think the Eagles are too high but both they and the Bills are "good" teams whose window is less open than in previous seasons IMO. I'd have them ranked 8 and 9 wouldn't quibble which way round you put them.

• Like (+1) 3

The Athletic did a similar exercise a week or so ago. They didn’t share the metrics they used but the Bills came in as the 4th best team in the league based on roster construction. I think that’s a tad high and it’s somewhere in between 4 and 10.

Edited by MDH

Good to start underrated. But I think they lose credibility by having the Dolphins above the Bills. How many years do we need to do this? The Dolphins get overhyped in the off season only to lose the division to the Bills. The same thing will happen this year.

I'm more concerned about the Jets with Aaron Rodgers, because they are a complete unknown. We know the Dophins. If you think the Bills have a problem getting over the hump, what do you think about the Dolphins?

The Ravens and Cowboys are predictably overrated, like they always are. The Eagles are flawed. The Bengals get a pass for last year, but they weren't exactly looking great before Burrow went down anyway.

I'm not sure how much higher the Bills should be, but the teams above them are not necessarily better, in my opinion, and the case could be made that some of them are worse.

Edited by MJS
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think the Bills will look better prior to the season, not necessarily by the draft but through a combination of FA and draft.  I think the Bills will find a good RB2, another safety - either FA Simmons or Hyde if they don't get a starter in the draft.  

And of course the Bills will do something about WR.

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

if you don’t think they are top ten, you don’t understand how qb driven the league is. 

as to whether they improve more than average- I think having a massive hole at the best position in the draft allows for a very large delta.

Moving wr1 from worst to middle of the pack is a huge change; while another team going from a dine enough to a good safety probably won’t see the same change on the field 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, MDH said:

The Athletic did a similar exercise a week or so ago. They didn’t share the metrics they used but the Bills came in as the 4th best team in the league based on roster construction. I think that’s a tad high and it’s somewhere in between 4 and 10.

I tend to agree 

and think they could substantially fill major holes immediately instead of minor upgrades or long term projects.

4 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

I like the Bills being a bit underrated. They have middle of the pack draft capital so I think you’re spot on. They will likely remain about in that spot. Fine with me. Better than SB favorites! 

I’d rather be SB favorites because that means we have a better team. Its not like we have won any more or less being an underdog or favorite

12 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

For comparison, these were their rankings AFTER the draft last year.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-chiefs-eagles-jets-2023-nfl-draft

Injuries will always play such a big part of any season

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Injuries will always play such a big part of any season

This is definitely true and the Bills luck has got gradually worse on that score the past 3 seasons. They need to hope they have better luck on the injury front this year, because they start a little thinner than in the past IMO.

I say underrated.

As much as I liked Diggs, he is the only major loss in the off-season, and I do not believe it is as major as many think. By the end of the season, the Bills were one of the top four teams in the league; the offense will be different and equal, if not better than after Brady took over.

I also think the Defense will be better (Milano back, Douglas a full season). But I concede: The one big question is what happens at Safety? If we get equal play there from the newbies, the entire Defense will be better.

10 is soft, 4 is a touch aggressive, but as mentioned luck and such will have a big impact.

what we do to add talent in the draft and pre/post draft will matter a lot.

ayiuk and guys like that being available can make a immediate and large impact on the team, a big trade up could also make a splash (way less certainty tho, of course).  If some stops get pulled out and we add some real talent (starters above replacement level) then we could nudge up some.

the reality is as banged up and goofy (HC calling DC plays, switching from a 2nd year oc to a rook oc in the middle of the season, aging roster and tons of injuries) as our season was last year, we were a play or two (16 and 14 dropping perfect deep dimes) away from beating kc who were the champs.  we have every chance to win the chip this year that we had the past two years.

• Like (+1) 1