Media Day at OBD (Beane, McDermott, Josh & more)

Process

It's easy to read too much into comments this time of year, and perhaps Beane is trying to throw off other teams.

But, when I heard him talk about medicals and "we" (fans/media) question why they passed on a player (who has great highlights/media projections), along with mentals/versatile/unselfish. Just gets me thinking a guy like Mitchell is not the target.  He isn't very versatile, IMO, his lack of effort on plays/talk about his diabetes/etc

Again, could be overthinking it.  But I'm hearing versatile and guys I immediately think of at 28 or early RD2: Worthy, Franklin, Ladd, Coleman.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

So basically Beane won't confirm or deny what he's going to do, because he's not braindead, but he'll explain exactly how he feels about potentially doing the things people think he might do.

• Like (+1) 1

• Process changed the title to Media Day at OBD (Beane, McDermott, Josh & more)
1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

So basically Beane won't confirm or deny what he's going to do, because he's not braindead, but he'll explain exactly how he feels about potentially doing the things people think he might do.

And the best example of this is marriage. I didn’t feel great about it, but I did it. 

Should have waited for next year’s selection. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 10

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

well the chances of Spencer Brown being used to move up the board like Cordy Glenn just went up a bit 

By having more depth I suppose, but I doubt he wants to weaken the OL, he'd rather keep that together and keep letting Brown develop.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Just now, Warcodered said:

By having more depth I suppose, but I doubt he wants to weaken the OL, he'd rather keep that together and keep letting Brown develop.

yes, but Brown has a history of back issues and is a UFA next year.  It's possible we won't re-sign him 

• Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

well the chances of Spencer Brown being used to move up the board like Cordy Glenn just went up a bit 

it really does not make any sense.  Brown is a better player than collins at this point.  Collins always has an issue of some kind and since that car accident and his hip injury he is essentially just a guy.

Trading a player on draft day is also probably the worst time to ever trade a player.  Players are valued lower than the draft picks this time of year.  

They have worked hard to have a good line and now they do and it has some depth with more coming next week.  Weakening this group makes zero sense.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

it really does not make any sense.  Brown is a better player than collins at this point.  Collins always has an issue of some kind and since that car accident and his hip injury he is essentially just a guy.

Trading a player on draft day is also probably the worst time to ever trade a player.  Players are valued lower than the draft picks this time of year.  

They have worked hard to have a good line and now they do and it has some depth with more coming next week.  Weakening this group makes zero sense.

I mean, I don't expect it....but it's possible IMO and maybe even something Beane has considered since Collins has a boatload of incentives for playing time 

Brown was pretty solid last season....but his value may never be higher 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

I mean, I don't expect it....but it's possible IMO and maybe even something Beane has considered since Collins has a boatload of incentives for playing time 

Brown was pretty solid last season....but his value may never be higher 

collins has a 1 year deal.  So you are trading away a good young player and then next year at this time you are in a spot where you have to find a right tackle?

that seems the opposite of the current mindset of the front office.  I have to imagine they want this group of lineman to be together for this next run they are putting together.  The spot that will change because of competition and maybe the draft will be left guard.  

Creating an issue at right tackle when the team has a whole bunch of other issues already seems very unlikely.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Trading up in Rd2 sounds like a real possibility, as many on here like myself have discussed.

Car makes a TON of sense, given Beanes connection with Dan and that they have 2 early picks in the round.

Buf: Our 2025 2nd (from Minny) + #60 + #128

Car: #39 + #101 (plus a possible 6th in 2025)

This would allow us to 2 picks in the top 50, where I see a solid talent drop-off.  And the top pick of Rd4: possibly a WR, S, DL, RB (depending on how we use #28/#39) that has slid.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Anybody remember how many guys last year Beane thought had a 1st round grade?  

https://atozsports.com/buffalo/bills-fans-news-first-round-of-2023-nfl-draft/ 

Beane admitted that he doesn't have many first-round grades on players this year.

The seventh-year general manager wouldn't reveal how many first-round grades he has on players, but he said it's "not great".

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Most years it’s around 20.

Agree.

I also think, as Beane mentioned, is the talent/immediate impact players usually drop off around 50-60.  I see this year as putting that line around 50.  As we saw in our TBD mock drafts/etc, pick 60 is OK but it'd be more advantageous to find a way in top 10 picks of RD2.  

I've been a big advocate of a RD2 tradeup, as opposed to Rd1.  Think that is much easier to achieve, with the extra pick from Diggs trade

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

This is code for McDummy wants a CB or DE at 28.

To be honest, nothing makes me disregard a post and its poster more quickly than name-calling a coach or player.

This ain't sixth grade recess.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

This is code for McDummy wants a CB or DE at 28.

I don't view it that way at all.

I think they are reinforcing the narrative of what they believe (and what is 100%) true.  You don't need a big flashy number 1 wr to win championships, most of those guys do not have one.  

What he is telling you is an offense with Allen at qb with a good line and reliable running game can move the ball in the air in a lot of different ways.  They want to have guys who can lineup all over and attack teams differently with the tools these guys have.  They keep mentioning YAC and that seems to be the plan.  

This team has a good line, two good backs, two good tight ends, two good wr and Josh Allen.   They need more guys in the wide receiver room but they do not have to sell out an entire two years worth of picks to get a justin jefferson type in order to win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

To be honest, nothing makes me disregard a post and its poster more quickly than name-calling a coach or player.

Feel free to ignore.  My feeling won't be hurt, and you can sleep better at night not having to worry about my postings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

https://atozsports.com/buffalo/bills-fans-news-first-round-of-2023-nfl-draft/ 

Beane admitted that he doesn't have many first-round grades on players this year.

The seventh-year general manager wouldn't reveal how many first-round grades he has on players, but he said it's "not great".

Interesting looking at Beane’s comments now about the 2023 draft.  I’m thinking we already have a trade lined up for a 2025 pick for a vet like Metcalf and we’d prefer a trade back from 28 to recoup a 3rd round pick.  

32 minutes ago, Process said:

Did the details for Collins contract ever get released? I know it was up to $6M, which is certainly not backup money. 

The Bills have signed veteran offensive lineman La'el Collins to a one-year deal with a cap hit of $1,580,000.

We now have more details about those contract terms thanks to Over The Cap. https://overthecap.com/player/lael-collins/4105

This is simply a one year deal for $1.58 mllion, with $1.21 million guaranteed and a $290,000 signing bonus. There are up to $5M in incentives that will only apply to the 2025 salary cap (not the 2024 cap) if Collins achieves specific starts, snap counts & games played milestones.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/buffalo-bills-Lael-Collins-Free-Agent-Contract

Edited by NI Bills Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

Finally, adult conversation!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I am thinking if a 1st round grade isn't there at 28, he trades back.  I would then take our extra 4th and #60 and move into the top 50.  

That will anger many, but give us 2 really talented players.

Going to depend who that trade back is with. 

I see 4 teams that would likely draft a WR with picks 29-38 (plus whoever is trading up for 28).  

I'd much rather use our 2025 2nd (our or Minnys) to move up from pick 60

51 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Feel free to ignore.  My feeling won't be hurt, and you can sleep better at night not having to worry about my postings.

Some of us just enjoy rational adult conversation, no offense!

Edited by amprov56
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1