NFL draft rumors 2024

14 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Is Odunze worth that many picks considering the depth at WR in this draft?

Personally, I don't think so. As glaring a need as WR is for the Bills, it is not currently the only glaring need. (I assume you're responding to @HappyDays suggestion above of this year's second, and next year's first) To have only one pick before the fourth round not only ignores the other glaring needs the Bills have, it ignores WR depth of this draft. And losing next years #1 as well? No thank you. That's too high a risk of a Sammy Watkins type situation to my mind.

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Odunze to the Jets, Worthy to the Dolphins will send this board into a tailspin...

As long as it doesn't send the Bills' front office into panic mode to go after a CB...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

Personally, I don't think so. As glaring a need as WR is for the Bills, it is not currently the only glaring need. (I assume you're responding to @HappyDays suggestion above of this year's second, and next year's first) To have only one pick before the fourth round not only ignores the other glaring needs the Bills have, it ignores WR depth of this draft. And losing next years #1 as well? No thank you. That's too high a risk of a Sammy Watkins type situation to my mind.

More @Warriorspikes51 post about sending at least three picks to the Bears for 9.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Forgot KC jumping to 27 and getting a WR. 

Yup I expect that as well.  Beane is going to have to stay aggressive in this draft just to keep up - folks treat the draft like it's Christmas morning but forget to pay attention to what the Bills' competitors are coming home with in the weeks leading up to the event.  The Jets and Chiefs are going to have much-improved rosters on Sunday; the Dolphins and Patriots too but they're just less scary as threats.  But I can easily see a scenario where the Jets suddenly have two stud WRs and the Chiefs load up on offensive weapons as well.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

As long as it doesn't send the Bills' front office into panic mode to go after a CB...

I am of the unpopular opinion that drafting a WR in the first round is not a foregone conclusion. I don't imagine that Beane will ever make a draft choice out of panic. But, if a CB, or DE, whom they grade higher than the remaining WRs at #28, falls to them, don't be surprised if that is their pick. And as glaring a need as WR is, it most certainly gives me pause to think that after the starting five of Benford, Douglas, Johnson, Rapp, and Edwards, the best remaining defensive back on the team is Cam Lewis.

If this draft is as deep in WRs as the pundits say, it shouldn't be surprising that they might get the best value with their first two picks by waiting until the second round to draft a WR.

9 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yup I expect that as well.  Beane is going to have to stay aggressive in this draft just to keep up - folks treat the draft like it's Christmas morning but forget to pay attention to what the Bills' competitors are coming home with in the weeks leading up to the event.  The Jets and Chiefs are going to have much-improved rosters on Sunday; the Dolphins and Patriots too but they're just less scary as threats.  But I can easily see a scenario where the Jets suddenly have two stud WRs and the Chiefs load up on offensive weapons as well.

I have to believe that not having a third round pick would make trading up in the first a much harder pill to swallow.

22 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

More @Warriorspikes51 post about sending at least three picks to the Bears for 9.

Either way, paying a king's ransom to move up for a WR, in a draft that is historically deep in WRs, when the Bills have so many positional needs, seems utterly foolish, IMO.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I am of the unpopular opinion that drafting a WR in the first round is not a foregone conclusion. I don't imagine that Beane will ever make a draft choice out of panic. But, if a CB, or DE, whom they grade higher than the remaining WRs at #28, falls to them, don't be surprised if that is their pick.

Here's the outcome if that happens - in one year we'll play the Chiefs in the divisional round. Chop Robinson or Cooper DeJean or whoever else will be invisible as the Chiefs casually move the ball up and down the field at will. Josh Allen will stand on his head and do backflips to keep us in the game but we'll ultimately fall short because no one else on offense cared to make a play. People will say "why can't Josh Allen beat Mahomes?" McDermott will have a presser that week talking about how hard it is to win and how close we are. Next year around draft time the usual suspects will say "we can't focus only on WRs, we have too many needs." Rinse and repeat.

If you don't know for a fact that this would be the outcome of picking a non-WR with our first pick, you're lying to yourself.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Lol...at this point we can just say that every team drafting late is really working the phones and being aggressive to move up. The teams in the middle are all looking to trade up...or back. And the teams picking early are all aggressively looking for a huge deal to move back. Unless they stay put. 

Everyone wants a WR. Unless they want an OL. Some teams may be open to picking where they are...but only if one or two select players are there. Or not. 🤣

The lead up to the draft is, as always, never changing. Year after year😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Here's the outcome if that happens - in one year we'll play the Chiefs in the divisional round. Chop Robinson or Cooper DeJean or whoever else will be invisible as the Chiefs casually move the ball up and down the field at will. Josh Allen will stand on his head and do backflips to keep us in the game but we'll ultimately fall short because no one else on offense cared to make a play. People will say "why can't Josh Allen beat Mahomes?" McDermott will have a presser that week talking about how hard it is to win and how close we are. Next year around draft time the usual suspects will say "we can't focus only on WRs, we have too many needs." Rinse and repeat.

If you don't know for a fact that this would be the outcome of picking a non-WR with our first pick, you're lying to yourself.

Someone was saying earlier - it was on Good Morning Football so Schrager? - that he wouldn't be surprised if the Bills didn't pick a WR in the first round.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Someone was saying earlier - it was on Good Morning Football so Schrager? - that he wouldn't be surprised if the Bills didn't pick a WR in the first round.

Maybe it’s all smoke, in hopes of pass rusher dropping far enough to make a small move up… while also making a deal behind the scenes for a Metcalf or Aiyuk

1 minute ago, boyst said:

@GunnerBill

The NFL draft is starting now on Central time. Because they're an hour ahead they've already began the draft, they can't tell us what happened because we're in Eastern specific time

I hate to tell you, but they are an hour behind EST.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, julian said:

Maybe it’s all smoke, in hopes of pass rusher dropping far enough to make a small move up… while also making a deal behind the scenes for a Metcalf or Aiyuk

I'd love to see some additional experience in the WR room. Whether the cap space is there for it, I'm not sure. I wonder why the Bills didn't utilize more cap space out of Josh's contract. Maybe they thought Diggs would be staying at that point.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He knows, he fancies himself a comedian and we're a semi-captive audience.

No, I'm just trying to hide the fact that I didn't know it started at 8:00 and not 7:00. 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think you're suggesting that there couldn't be a higher graded non-WR left on the board at #28, are you? I keep hearing about how deep this WR class is. Would it be unreasonable to think that getting a WR in the second would get the Bills better value in the draft? And if the Bills don't do something to beef up their currently paper-thin defense, the Chiefs (and other teams, as well) will certainly be marching down the field at will! That's not "lying to myself." I'm just trying to look at the big picture, and at the moment, it has some problems!

Honestly, I don't get how it is that so many fans are calmly dismissing the numerous issues on this team beyond WR? 

• Agree 2

Bryan Broaddus here in Dallas said his sources told him Philly is trying to go up for a corner and Dallas is preparing to move back and may have something setup with washington and dan quinn already if it plays out where there o lineman are gone.

he also said the rams are trying to get inside the top ten for Brock Bowers.

they also just added Ayuk could be part of a deal to get above Dallas because they are after the same lineman...fwiw

also sounds like Jimmy Johnson is going to be in the war room with the cowboys this weekend....and they are signing Zeke back.

Edited by MikePJ76
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’ve said this before, but I’d rather sit in a Bills draft room than attend a Bills Super Bowl. I’ve done that once, but I’ve never sniffed a war room. 

Super Bowl would be more stressful than fun lol.

I'm with you.  I would even settle for seeing boards like 10 years later.  I wish teams would release them like the jfk stuff after a regime is no longer there, release the info! 

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Honestly, I don't get how it is that so many fans are calmly dismissing the numerous issues on this team beyond WR? 

I'm not dismissing the other issues. I'm accepting that constant investment at the same positions, to the detriment of the WR room, has not been a successful strategy. Draft a pass rusher at 28, it won't make a difference in the playoffs. You know it and I know it. Adding a WR will make a difference.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I am of the unpopular opinion that drafting a WR in the first round is not a foregone conclusion. I don't imagine that Beane will ever make a draft choice out of panic. But, if a CB, or DE, whom they grade higher than the remaining WRs at #28, falls to them, don't be surprised if that is their pick. And as glaring a need as WR is, it most certainly gives me pause to think that after the starting five of Benford, Douglas, Johnson, Rapp, and Edwards, the best remaining defensive back on the team is Cam Lewis.

If this draft is as deep in WRs as the pundits say, it shouldn't be surprising that they might get the best value with their first two picks by waiting until the second round to draft a WR.

I don't think it's a certainty that they draft a WR at all.  I think that Latu and DeJean will be two players the Bills would be highly interested in,  though Latu would have some medical questions. 

As for the WR depth...if they go another direction at 28,  I think it likely forces a trade up in R2.  There's good depth at WR,  but once the run starts,  they're going to fly off the board quick, and it's going to be getting very thin around the middle of R2.  

51 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not dismissing the other issues. I'm accepting that constant investment at the same positions, to the detriment of the WR room, has not been a successful strategy. Draft a pass rusher at 28, it won't make a difference in the playoffs. You know it and I know it. Adding a WR will make a difference.

Late 1st round DEs scare the hell out of me,  anyway,  but I'd be particularly concerned right now that a rookie would end up buried as the #4 on the depth chart,  average 8 plays per game and have two sacks and a dozen tackles by the end of the year. 

Edited by Brandon
  • Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

100% this. Let’s continue being the team with a franchise QB that doesn’t give him weapons. 

17 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't think you're suggesting that there couldn't be a higher graded non-WR left on the board at #28, are you? I keep hearing about how deep this WR class is. Would it be unreasonable to think that getting a WR in the second would get the Bills better value in the draft? And if the Bills don't do something to beef up their currently paper-thin defense, the Chiefs (and other teams, as well) will certainly be marching down the field at will! That's not "lying to myself." I'm just trying to look at the big picture, and at the moment, it has some problems!

This roster SUCKS outside of Josh. Josh is THE ONLY elite guy on the team. Let that sink in. Wasting a pick on a DE who won’t pan out is a disaster waiting to happen. Even if they kind of hit on a DE, that’s not going to fix all the holes we have. Just invest in josh and try to win that way. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Same **** every year. 

I'm not going to say they absolutely have to draft a WR in R1 and obviously I don't know how they have their board graded.  But otherwise,  I agree.  If you want to prevent that scenario you described with a defensive pick,  you're going to need to draft an all pro at 28.   Realistically,  well,  good luck with that. 

• Like (+1) 1